Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 05-24-23, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Some locked grooves found on youtube:

Rush:

Def Leppard:

Muppet Show locked groove with Fozzy the Bear endlessly crying for help (which would likely horrify children):

Couldn't find "Raining Blood."
Old 05-25-23, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

The most famous locked-groove has to be the end of Sgt. Pepper with that chatter at end of A Day in the Life repeating over and over.
Old 05-25-23, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,012 Likes on 767 Posts

I've been buying those King Biscuit Flower Hour records, and they all start with a test tone in a locked groove. Kind of a pain in the ass, actually.
Old 05-26-23, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts

I don't see the point of having a locked groove at the beginning of a record, that's just annoying. I have a first pressing of Samhain's November Coming Fire and it has a pressing defect where the first track has a locked groove and keeps playing the same part over and over, so I always need to start playing that album on track two (luckily the first track is just a short instrumental).
Old 05-26-23, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 363 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
I don't see the point of having a locked groove at the beginning of a record, that's just annoying. I have a first pressing of Samhain's November Coming Fire and it has a pressing defect where the first track has a locked groove and keeps playing the same part over and over, so I always need to start playing that album on track two (luckily the first track is just a short instrumental).
If you think that's annoying, you should experience this Dillinger Escape Plan 7":
https://www.discogs.com/release/4777...And-Misbehavin

The two songs on side A are in parallel grooves. The helpful instructions with record say, "The groove that catches first will determine which song will play." One song on side B starts where you would expect and ends in a locked groove. The groove for the other song on side B starts near the "end" (middle) of the record and it plays from the inside out, also ending in a locked groove. The whole thing is nuts.
Old 05-26-23, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,105 Likes on 780 Posts

Monty Python had a '3 sided' record. I didn't know about it, and was baffled when the track I thought started the side, did not happen.

I think it was The Matching Tie and Handkerchief.
Old 05-29-23, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,012 Likes on 767 Posts

I don't see the point of having a locked groove at the beginning of a record, that's just annoying.
In the case of the records I'm talking about, they were designed for radio airplay only, so the tone was presumably to set the level to some spec determined by the parent company. But yes, still annoying.
Old 05-29-23, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I guess that makes sense in that case.
Old 06-06-23, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts

Hey, is it normal for you to get new, mail order Vinyl, unsealed? I've gotten a couple now, ordered direct from the label, where the album wasn't sealed, but instead in what seems to be a 3rd party plastic sleeve like you'd get on amazon for replacements. I guess it isn't a big deal, but I'd rather have the original shrinkwrap, and just slice one end to get the recode out, it isn't as bulky.
Old 06-06-23, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Hey, is it normal for you to get new, mail order Vinyl, unsealed? I've gotten a couple now, ordered direct from the label, where the album wasn't sealed, but instead in what seems to be a 3rd party plastic sleeve like you'd get on amazon for replacements. I guess it isn't a big deal, but I'd rather have the original shrinkwrap, and just slice one end to get the recode out, it isn't as bulky.
Sometimes, not often. I wanna say about 5% of new albums come that way, mostly indie titles.
Old 06-06-23, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of indie labels will ship the albums with the record outside the jacket and the whole thing in a plastic sleeve in order to prevent seam splits during shipping, I like when they do that because seam splits suck.
The following users liked this post:
andicus (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 968 Likes on 595 Posts

Some sites will offer to remove the record from its jacket to prevent seam splits during shipment - I think SoundStageDirect used to do this, for one - but other than cases like that, I believe anything I've ordered "new" has always been sealed.

Oh yeah, Third Man Records vaults ship like this by default, I think.

EDIT.....aaaaaand now I see cultshock's reply on the next page!
Old 06-07-23, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Sometimes, not often. I wanna say about 5% of new albums come that way, mostly indie titles.
Yeah, some records come like that. Instead of shrinkwrap, they're in loosely-fitting clear plastic bags like a comic book bag.

It's not unusual, and probably not someone trying to pull a fast one on you.

A lot of indie labels will ship the albums with the record outside the jacket and the whole thing in a plastic sleeve in order to prevent seam splits during shipping, I like when they do that because seam splits suck.
Seam splits are the bane of my existence.

Ever since I was a kid, I went out of my to keep my records in pristine condition. But a large percentage of them had the seams on the sleeves split when I opened them up. And it's always on the records with unique, graphic sleeves. Those were usually printed on glossy paper, and the folds are weak and easy for records to slice through.

I would get a lot of records like this from Columbia House, but it was also present in records I bought from stores.

Old 06-07-23, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what is seam splitting?
Old 06-07-23, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

what is seam splitting?
https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/165387

Last edited by clappj; 06-07-23 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-07-23, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate 'em! When I buying records back when I was a teenager I came across them once in awhile and it bugged me then too. Even better is when both the outer jacket and printed inner sleeve have splits, because the edge of the record was just too damn sharp.
Old 06-07-23, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thankfully, I haven't had too many seam splits. But the few I have had are either from the edges of the record being too sharp, and/or the record being too loose in the sleeve, moving back and forth during shipping cutting up the sleeve from the inside. Sometimes, seam splits can happen if the sleeve is too tight (or shrink-wrapped too tight) and the record just splits it over time.
Speaking of shrink-wraps - a lot of people keep them on (even if split on one edge to remove the record), but over time, they could actually damage the sleeve.
Old 06-07-23, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of shrink-wraps - a lot of people keep them on (even if split on one edge to remove the record), but over time, they could actually damage the sleeve.
Oh damn, I assumed everyone left those on, at least for single disc albums. For gate folds, I take the shrink wrap off completely and replace with a folding cover I got off Amazon.
Old 06-07-23, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always take the shrink wrap off and put the album in a plastic sleeve (I also carefully peel off any hype stickers and stick them on the new plastic sleeve in the same place they were on the shrink wrap, because I'm a freak!)

marka351 (06-07-23)
Old 06-09-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 703 Likes on 456 Posts

I went to my local record store this morning to pick up the new Jason Isbell album. I get there and they dont even have them on the floor yet. I ask the guy at the counter and he said to check back this afternoon, that theyd have them out by then.

Im all for supporting your local shop, but not having new releases out when you open your doors might not be the best way to operate. Stopped by Target on the way home and got it there.
Old 06-16-23, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm not going to lie - I love the colored records - I got the Jack White Fear of the Dawn limited edition one and just bought the new Queens of the Stone Age sliver vinyl - I just think they look really cool.
Old 06-16-23, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 363 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I'm not going to lie - I love the colored records - I got the Jack White Fear of the Dawn limited edition one and just bought the new Queens of the Stone Age sliver vinyl - I just think they look really cool.
I really love colored vinyl also. It only enhances the unique physical, aesthetic appeal of records IMO.
Rival11 (06-21-23)
Old 06-16-23, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 703 Likes on 456 Posts

Anyone ever purchased from discountvinylrecords off ebay? They just got in some inventory for a record on my watch list but I'm a little skeptical. They seem to have tons of inventory at the best prices you can find, plus an added 20% off if you buy 5 or more. They have 99.6% feedback rating, but there's a couple negatives that are a little concerning. They seem to accuse them of selling bootlegs. I just wasn't aware of anything like that for vinyl records. Is it possible they're selling off remainders with that type of stock?
Old 06-21-23, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by John Galt
Anyone ever purchased from discountvinylrecords off ebay? They just got in some inventory for a record on my watch list but I'm a little skeptical. They seem to have tons of inventory at the best prices you can find, plus an added 20% off if you buy 5 or more. They have 99.6% feedback rating, but there's a couple negatives that are a little concerning. They seem to accuse them of selling bootlegs. I just wasn't aware of anything like that for vinyl records. Is it possible they're selling off remainders with that type of stock?
I'd probably stay away - I've been finding a lot of sites that look promising but I hesitate due to some of the issues you listed - you shouldn't purchase at all if you're not 100%.
Old 06-21-23, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"color" vinyl does not affect sound quality at all, after all, black is a color just like any other ("natural" vinyl is a hazy clear).
But there are many variables - sometimes, they may use "recycled" vinyl rather than virgin vinyl, which definitely affects the pressing (virgin being the better, cleaner one), and sometimes, the crazy colors, like intense splatters and swirls can affect the sound, but not always, as it depends on the process used to achieve that color/look. Like, I have a record that's half black and half white, each half sounds fine, but I hear a tiny tick twice per revolution when it changes colors. Then I have other half&half colors where you don't hear a tick.
But basic black virgin vinyl is your best bet. The pellets they use to achieve the black aren't used in other vinyl colors, and while they don't affect sound, they do make the record more "sturdy".
Damn, sorry for the late reply - I didn't even see this. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.