Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 09:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by slop101
Oh geeze, I don't think I'm as bad as the SH forum douches. They complain about the slightest warp or noise - stuff that's just a part of vinyl records. No, I'm taking about manufacturing defects that knock the stylus out of it's groove.
There are douches on there who complain if the record is one nanometer too thick/thin, but complaints about genuine manufacturing issues is a common theme there. I stand by my statement about demand pushing QC out the door.
Old 08-23-16, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I stand by my statement about demand pushing QC out the door.
I wasn't arguing that. Makes sense, just unfortunate. Some import vinyl definitely have better QC than domestic ones. And a band that seems to have put way more TLC into their vinyl reissues than almost any other band is Wilco, who's new vinyl reissues are pretty phenomenal, quality-wise, both physically, and sonically.
Old 08-24-16, 08:18 PM
Banned by request

In general the EU pressing plants have better QC. The Beatles stereo vinyl reissues were pressed both in the US and in Germany, and the US releases had so many issues that Apple Corps decided to only press in Germany for the 2015 mono vinyl. Similarly, if you're getting a Radiohead record, make sure it's from the EU.
Old 08-27-16, 09:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 838 Posts

Do you know how many pressing plants there are worldwide?

I saw something semi-recently about two different companies working on building NEW pressing equipment, but can't recall the names of them. I wonder if the market has actually gotten big enough to justify the need for more plants, or if there's any signs of demand dying down again to "normal" levels.
Old 08-27-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Similarly, if you're getting a Radiohead record, make sure it's from the EU.
It sounded good, but I hadn't checked where it was made (I just bought the cheapest new copy I could find online), but looks like my OK Computer vinyl is made in UK, before Brexit, so that counts as EU!
Old 08-29-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I just ordered the new Stone Roses release All for One (stupidly thinking it was an album, not a 45). Amazon shipped it in an envelope without so much as a piece of cardboard to support it, but somehow it arrived ok.
I recently got an LP loose in a giant Amazon box.
Old 08-29-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck Nevermind, Ok Computer, and Achtung Baby, this was the greatest alternative rock record of the '90s!
Just to be a dick, 4 90s LPs better than any of those mentioned.

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Wilco - Summerteeth
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
Old 08-29-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Like the ol' ball and chain will allow that! I am hoping to check out The Record Parlor too.
First rules of vinyl collecting - always, ALWAYS leave your partner at home.
Old 08-29-16, 03:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
Me too. There were some of those air bags thrown in, but they hardly even held the record in place. The inner sleeve was torn on the edges pretty bad, clearly from the record getting jostled back and forth in there during transit. Amazon should know better.
Old 08-29-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wilco - Summerteeth
All good/great albums, MSP's Holy Bible is still miles better than those.
Old 08-29-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I got one of those from Amazon UK. Luckily, it was undamaged, but the box was shit. They need to start packaging all vinyl in actual vinyl boxes not oversized crates that will get smashed upon customs entry.
Old 08-29-16, 06:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I've got kind of a big ask...

If any of you are currently in L.A., would you be willing to go to a specific store to pick up a specific record, and mail it to me in Texas?

It's exclusive to the store and it's for walk-ins only. I'd pay for the record + shipping + a little extra for the effort.

Please send me a DM if you can assist.

You know I'd do it for you

Last edited by Dan; 08-29-16 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-29-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a bit of a relief to see the comments about the poor quality in vinyl lately. I asked the question a bit ago but was said it was probably my player. But when I play some old, used, beat up records they play great! Some new ones I have been getting skip right off the bat on the first fucking song. And theyre new!! Im hearing Guns N Roses Appetite right now (I just got it for $12 BRAND NEW from hastings) and Welcome to the Jungle is unlistenable with non stop skipping. I cleaned it real good and it still skipped.... but in different parts. I don't know if there is shit in the grooves or what but its happening way too much to my releases. Ill event lose sound from one of the channels. Any ideas?
Old 08-29-16, 07:44 PM
Banned by request

Wilco - Summerteeth
Pulp - Different Class
PJ Harvey - Dry
Bjork - Homogenic
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Old 08-29-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, those are all great, Holy Bible's better - seriously, best album of the '90s.

Speaking of great - just received that Queen box-set, and holy shit, it's pretty much the greatest box-set of anything I've ever seen. They put some serious TLC into that thing. They may be colored vinyl, but they sound great - especially Queen 2, which has always sounded "off" on CD. Vinyls were made in Germany, so there's that too.
Old 08-29-16, 09:48 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Its a bit of a relief to see the comments about the poor quality in vinyl lately. I asked the question a bit ago but was said it was probably my player. But when I play some old, used, beat up records they play great! Some new ones I have been getting skip right off the bat on the first fucking song. And theyre new!! Im hearing Guns N Roses Appetite right now (I just got it for $12 BRAND NEW from hastings) and Welcome to the Jungle is unlistenable with non stop skipping. I cleaned it real good and it still skipped.... but in different parts. I don't know if there is shit in the grooves or what but its happening way too much to my releases. Ill event lose sound from one of the channels. Any ideas?
I'm sure the more knowledgeable folks will chime in, but to me it sounds like either your needle needs replacing, or your tonearm isn't weighted properly (too light), causing it to skip and/or not make decent contact. You have to be careful adjusting that, since if it's balanced to be too heavy, then it could damage your records.

I'd take it to a shop to have it looked at. Bring a "good" album and a "bad" one and let them troubleshoot it for you.
Old 08-29-16, 10:13 PM
Banned by request

Again, those are all great, Holy Bible's better - seriously, best album of the '90s.
I'll defend Different Class as the best album of the '90s to the day I die.

But I did listen to The Holy Bible thanks to your post and it is indeed excellent.
Old 08-30-16, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll defend Different Class as the best album of the '90s to the day I die.
Love, love, love Different Class!

But I did listen to The Holy Bible thanks to your post and it is indeed excellent.
Nice!
And like all great albums, Holy Bible gets better the more you listen to it.

Here's a great piece on the album written two years ago on the occasion of the album's 20th anniversary

(if you have a choice, the "US mix" of the album is better/punchier than the "original mix", and it's preferred by the band as well)
Old 08-30-16, 02:18 AM
Banned by request

Which mix is used on the 20th anniversary edition? That's what I listened to through Apple Music.
Old 08-30-16, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Which mix is used on the 20th anniversary edition? That's what I listened to through Apple Music.
The CD copies have both mixes - I don't know about digital version, most likely it's the original mix.
Old 08-30-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm sure the more knowledgeable folks will chime in, but to me it sounds like either your needle needs replacing, or your tonearm isn't weighted properly (too light), causing it to skip and/or not make decent contact. You have to be careful adjusting that, since if it's balanced to be too heavy, then it could damage your records.

I'd take it to a shop to have it looked at. Bring a "good" album and a "bad" one and let them troubleshoot it for you.
Interesting! I had thought maybe it was too light, but had no idea it could be adjusted. I did think maybe needle so I just bought one but when I used the old needle on some records it works fine; so its very spotty. I dont know what determines the skipping.
Old 08-30-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, just remembered, here's a newer "private" mix, that is really good too - punchier like the US mix.
Old 08-31-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I did not know Savages had released a new album - scooped it up on the cheap via Discogs:

Old 09-02-16, 02:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

So... I kinda bought a lot of video game soundtracks lately. Still waiting for a couple of them to come in, but...

Furi
excellent synthwave. Should have it next week.

Undertale
Pre-ordered last week. My kid LOVED watching me play this game. She loves just walking around in it, not doing anything (she's 3. she'll get there)

Ori and the Blind Forest
Amazing score. Still waiting for this to come in.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game
All the songs are fantastic, but Another Winter is the best.

Castlevania
mentioned earlier in this thread, I think. Quality is OK, but it has issues. Music is so iconic, though.

Every DataDiscs release... I support these folks because their prices are totally reasonable for what they offer. No overpriced picture discs from this company.
Streets of Rage, Shenmue, Shinobi III

Super Hang-on, Streets of Rage 2, Out Run

Golden Axe I & II

... and a few more I'm hoping to procure in the next week or so.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to all my records in order, from A to Zed. I'm almost done the B's. My wife was ready to leave me about halfway through my 11 Autechre LPs/EPs.

Last edited by Dan; 09-02-16 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool little video of Wilco's new album being pressed.

I also stumbled on this, the mastering and pressing of their Whole Love vinyl, which reinforces my opinion that Wilco probably puts more thought, love & care into their vinyls than most other bands/labels.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.