Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 703 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Decker
Listen first to the original track for "Mean". Pay close attention to that young sweet but slightly hurt and vulnerable voice. That girl really sounds like a tough review hurt her deeply. And you can hear the resolve in her voice to rise above it and use that as motivation going forward (which she absolutely did).

Now listen to the new version. Her voice is deeper, richer. But it's not at all vulnerable. It feels inauthentic to me now.
That was a pretty good premonition, she’s now living in a big ole city and Kyle is still drunk in a bar watching football and ranting about how she can’t sing.

Last edited by John Galt; 07-08-23 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-09-23, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,717 Posts

It interesting listening to the vault songs. I love how Taylor will recycle a lyric she likes from one of those unused vault songs and use it later. In Foolish One (my least favorite of the new tracks), she sings "It's delicate" in almost exactly the way she'll do in its own song on Reputation. And in When Emma Falls in Love, she sings "She can make the bad boys good", clearly another line she liked and filed away.
Oh yeah, also : though they're completely different songs, the "Ah-ah-ah-ah-ahhhh" is almost indentical as the opening of both I Can See You and Mine

Last edited by Decker; 07-09-23 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-16-23, 04:24 PM

Another week, another Billboard record.
Old 07-16-23, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 657 Likes on 474 Posts

I just saw her in Denver. It was an absolutely incredible show. I had cheap seats that I got on ticketmaster after many hours, so one of the lucky ones. But I doubt even the people who paid $1000 left feeling disappointed.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (07-16-23)
Old 07-16-23, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I just saw her in Denver. It was an absolutely incredible show. I had cheap seats that I got on ticketmaster after many hours, so one of the lucky ones. But I doubt even the people who paid $1000 left feeling disappointed.
Awesome. You got the extra Speak Now song (Long Live) that I really like. What were your Surpise songs?
I read she hasn't repeated yet, has less than 100 songs left in her catalog, and will run out of songs in Europe if she doesn't repeat any (and I just can't believe she'd go deep enough into the catalog to break out 'Girl At Home', or 'Beautiful Ghosts' from the Cats soundtrack.
Old 07-16-23, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,744 Posts

Another week, another Billboard record.
https://twitter.com/chartdata/status...348997120?s=19
Damn, the lower right cover still totally reminds me of a black metal album cover.
Old 07-17-23, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Damn, the lower right cover still totally reminds me of a black metal album cover.
Her growling vocals on it are surprisingly good.
Old 07-18-23, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome. You got the extra Speak Now song (Long Live) that I really like. What were your Surpise songs?
I read she hasn't repeated yet, has less than 100 songs left in her catalog, and will run out of songs in Europe if she doesn't repeat any (and I just can't believe she'd go deep enough into the catalog to break out 'Girl At Home', or 'Beautiful Ghosts' from the Cats soundtrack.
Starlight and Back to December were the surprise songs. She said she only repeats if she screws up a song and wants another crack at it.
Old 07-18-23, 12:49 AM

Back to December is a huge one. Lucky you.
Old 07-18-23, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, Back to December was a highlight for sure.
Old 07-18-23, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why I think Swift will soon announce not only the 1989 (Taylor's Version), but possibly Reputation (Taylor's Version), too. Both will be out by early 2024, just in time for a number of From the Vault songs that can be used as surprise songs for the European leg of the Eras Tour.
Old 07-18-23, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by RayChuang
This is why I think Swift will soon announce not only the 1989 (Taylor's Version), but possibly Reputation (Taylor's Version), too. Both will be out by early 2024, just in time for a number of From the Vault songs that can be used as surprise songs for the European leg of the Eras Tour.
On the most recent Every Single Album : Taylor Swift podcast episode (breaking down Speak Now : TV) there was an extended discussion about the timing of the remaining TV releases (and they both think, like I do, that Taylor has little interest in re-recording Debut). The argument against releasing 1989 TV soon is that Speak Now TV needs some ramp-up time in the spotlight to breathe like Red TV got and Fearless TV didn't. I get that. But then Nathan pointed out based on Spotify streams that the Tour has really increased demand (and therefor revenue) for the back catalog, and by far the biggest catalog title to stream is 1989. He points out that the first two TVs did their job and Fearless TV outstreams the original 2:1 and Red TV outstreams the original version 3:1. So there's money there on the table to take if 1989 comes out sooner.
It will be interesting to see.
Old 07-18-23, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 638 Likes on 468 Posts

I've listened to Midnights probably 40+ times now and I can safely safe it's my favorite Taylor album.
Old 07-18-23, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I've listened to Midnights probably 40+ times now and I can safely safe it's my favorite Taylor album.
Interesting. It's probaby right in the middle for me. You talking the base album with 13 tracks, or the 3AM edition?
Old 07-18-23, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 638 Likes on 468 Posts

Interesting. It's probaby right in the middle for me. You talking the base album with 13 tracks, or the 3AM edition?
The 3am edition is the version I listen to on Spotify. I don't even know what songs are just on the base album.
Old 07-18-23, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
The 3am edition is the version I listen to on Spotify. I don't even know what songs are just on the base album.
Base album is the first 13 songs, ending with Mastermind (one of my favorites). I like several of the additional tracks more than some of the album cuts.
Old 07-19-23, 02:08 PM

On the most recent Every Single Album : Taylor Swift podcast episode (breaking down Speak Now : TV) there was an extended discussion about the timing of the remaining TV releases (and they both think, like I do, that Taylor has little interest in re-recording Debut). The argument against releasing 1989 TV soon is that Speak Now TV needs some ramp-up time in the spotlight to breathe like Red TV got and Fearless TV didn't. I get that. But then Nathan pointed out based on Spotify streams that the Tour has really increased demand (and therefor revenue) for the back catalog, and by far the biggest catalog title to stream is 1989. He points out that the first two TVs did their job and Fearless TV outstreams the original 2:1 and Red TV outstreams the original version 3:1. So there's money there on the table to take if 1989 comes out sooner.
It will be interesting to see.
I still think the announcement of 1989 TV will come at least by the end of the US portion of the Eras Tour. The likely release date: October 27, 2023. That is unless Swift surprises us with the announcement of BOTH 1989 TV and Reputation TV coming out at the same time around middle November 2023. Speak Now TV doesn't need to "breathe" in terms of publicity because of the huge unveiling at the July 7, 2023 Eras Tour show and the fact the album is currently a very hot seller on both vinyl and CD formats.
Old 07-19-23, 03:52 PM

She recorded at least some of 1989 TV two years ago. Wildest Dreams TV was in the Spirit Untamed movie in 2021.

Reputation TV is going to take a long time to make since it's heavily produced with electronic sounds that will be hard to reproduce without Max Martin's involvement. Plus the back half is a love letter to her new ex-boyfriend Joe. I don't think she's in a big rush to make that one.
Old 07-20-23, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 828 Likes on 673 Posts

Old 07-20-23, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 828 Likes on 673 Posts

I have not went inside Levis but when I drove around there in 2014 it is a pain in the ass to get out of there and takes 1 hr to get out and that was not a busy day

Taylor Swift will be Santa Clara's next mayor.

Well, sort of.

The city council on Tuesday will proclaim Swift as an honorary mayor and name Santa Clara to "Swiftie Clara" while her highly-anticipated Eras Tour concert makes its Levi's Stadium stop on July 28 and July 29.

"Taylor Swift is coming to Santa Clara for the third time and this time we wanted to honor her in a respectful way, so we had a proclamation and show our Swiftie spirit on the Eras Tour," Santa Clara Mayor Lisa Gillmor said.

Santa Clara is not the first city to get caught up in the Swiftie stream. As the tour has crossed America, cities have done everything from formal proclamations to renaming streets as a way to highlight the artist.

With tickets to the concerts sold out, hotels around Levi’s Stadium are booked.

“Most of them, they booked November and December of 2022, that's more than six months,” said Eduardo Quinto, the owner of Sterling Inn.

He said he gets at least 10 calls a day with fans trying to book a room for that weekend.

Also getting a taste of the Swift madness are restaurants like Birks.

“Every business around this area is going to be busy for a week or so, so we're excited,” said owner Saeed Azad.

Birks has already received about 200 reservations for that Friday and Saturday and they’re preparing for walk-ins, even with a special Taylor Swift menu.

“The lavender haze is her signature drink,” said Azad.

For those concerned about security following the stabbing at this venue, Levi's Stadium says, “fans should expect an increased security presence at the gates and in parking lots.”
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...4DEvsjvbLQIkeU

Old 07-21-23, 12:06 PM

If you are going to the Eras Tour concert one week from today in Santa Clara, Cailfornia, be aware of two things from Levi's Stadium authorities:
  1. You cannot bring friendship bracelets inside Levi's Stadium.
  2. You MUST use a cellphone case with a built in battery for extra battery life. No external battery chargers are allowed, not even detachable MagSafe battery packs used on iPhone 12 and newer models.
I do think #2 may be relaxed because battery cases for cellphones can cause the phone to overheat, and that will start a difficult-to-put-out electrical fire that nobody wants.
Old 07-21-23, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,117 Likes on 917 Posts

Taylor is in Seattle this weekend. I opted not to chase tickets as my kids now live elsewhere, but I have good memories of attending the 1989 tour.
Old 07-21-23, 12:12 PM

No friendship bracelets? That's insane. For whatever reason, those are a big thing amongst Swifites. They collect and trade. Can't imagine what the issue could be.
My daughter made a "Red" one for my wife and an "Ivy" one for me before our Philly shows.
Old 07-21-23, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 783 Likes on 517 Posts

No friendship bracelets? That's insane. For whatever reason, those are a big thing amongst Swifites. They collect and trade. Can't imagine what the issue could be.
My daughter made a "Red" one for my wife and an "Ivy" one for me before our Philly shows.
Upon further review, the ruling has been reversed...

https://abc7news.com/taylor-swift-th...2023/13530166/
Old 07-21-23, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Upon further review, the ruling has been reversed...

https://abc7news.com/taylor-swift-th...2023/13530166/
It's literally an unenforceable policy since they're small and plastic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.