Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Old 07-31-23, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 545 Likes on 393 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
She has some catchy songs but this hype is way way way out of control.

She is not on the level of the Beatles and she is 33 but most of the people I see waiting in line are young girls and maybe she is not crossing over all the age demographics but wonder how these young girls get the money to go and probably most of them are with their moms.

Maybe there is a record number and historical number of young girls with disposable income in the U.S. to support a Swift tour?
I will not respond to the "Beatles" idea because it's the kind of comparison that is pointless. That said, she is WAY more than just "has some catchy songs". And while there are certainly many young girls at the concerts, the one I went to was an older demographic than you seem to think. I would guess that the largest demographic was 20-30, and the second largest was probably 30-40.

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Or their parents who may have the money or are willing to increase their debt. The crowds are overwhelmingly female but span all ages. Mainly the 12-28 range but also some younger, Gen X moms, a few Boomer grandmothers, some straight & guy guy with a few fathers here and there. Demographically there are more youngsters now than ever before so yeah there are probably a record number of young girls as a market.

In my lifetime the biggest act has been Micheal Jackson. The main reason was because of reach. His fan base had young, old, male, female, all races, and all creeds. Past and present no one has come even close to the diversity of their fans. As big and successful as Swift is, she is not that type of all encompassing.
Again, while women certainly outnumbered guys at the show, there were PLENTY of men, I would not say "overwhelmingly female" (but it may depend on what you think is "overwhelmingly", I would guess it was something like 2-1).

As for whether the hype is overblown, who can say. I can say that I am a 55yo man who would not have listened to TS except for my tween daughter, but over time came to be a big fan. Because she is that good. I don't listen to much pop music (other than through my daughter), my tastes span from bluegrass to punk to rock to jazz. And she is damn impressive. And her show was one of the best live shows I have ever been to, period.

So to those who want to dismiss it as hype, have you been to the show? Or are you basing your comments on what you have "seen" or seen reported? Because if you go, this might be relevant to you:

Old 07-31-23, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,870 Likes on 4,006 Posts

HAIM wore their wicked stepsister dresses from the Bejeweled video.

Old 07-31-23, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 898 Likes on 557 Posts

With this tour and the Barbie movie making bank, angry white incels have to be losing their minds right now.

And it is only going to get worse for them. They already think that too many things are geared toward young females/women currently in entertainment. Umm...with the money being made right now, just you wait.
Old 07-31-23, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 114 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Again, while women certainly outnumbered guys at the show, there were PLENTY of men, I would not say "overwhelmingly female" (but it may depend on what you think is "overwhelmingly", I would guess it was something like 2-1).
No way is it 2-1. I will give you 15-1 maybe.
It’s only one limited data point but at the Nashville show I counted the guys in my section on the floor. There were five of us: Myself, my friend’s husband, a father in front and to the left, and two gay guys a few rows behind us. The other section I could see didn’t look much different. Overwhelming female was the only way to describe it.

Last edited by Kdogg; 07-31-23 at 08:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (08-01-23)
Old 07-31-23, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 669 Likes on 552 Posts

I did not know she was 5"11 and now I know she is tall and her dad was the one that suggested she stayed away from politics since it could put her life in danger from zealots who might go after her.

I hope Youtube does not remove this video so I can experience what is was like here last Fri and Sat

Old 07-31-23, 11:05 PM

Yeah, don't count on it. My one song video was taken down in a week.
Old 08-01-23, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I will not respond to the "Beatles" idea because it's the kind of comparison that is pointless. That said, she is WAY more than just "has some catchy songs". And while there are certainly many young girls at the concerts, the one I went to was an older demographic than you seem to think. I would guess that the largest demographic was 20-30, and the second largest was probably 30-40.

As for whether the hype is overblown, who can say. I can say that I am a 55yo man who would not have listened to TS except for my tween daughter, but over time came to be a big fan. Because she is that good. I don't listen to much pop music (other than through my daughter), my tastes span from bluegrass to punk to rock to jazz. And she is damn impressive. And her show was one of the best live shows I have ever been to, period.

So to those who want to dismiss it as hype, have you been to the show? Or are you basing your comments on what you have "seen" or seen reported? Because if you go, this might be relevant to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAhAz7JU0dg

I own all or most of her CDs and most of the Vinyl though have not gotten the new Speak Now album yet but will when I have a balance on my credit card

What I have seen in the news most of the audience is female.

At least you don't have to worry about somebody beating the shit out of you at a Taylor concert unlike if you went to a soccer game a month ago or a 49ers game.

I heard there are no dates in Canada maybe because their stadiums are small or they assume Canadians would flock to a U.S. venue?

All the businesses and hotel got a boost in income and profits with her two night Santa Clara concert and other cities and countries probably want that money too and those concerts were bigger than the Super Bowl in 2016.
Old 08-01-23, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I did not know she was 5"11 and now I know she is tall and her dad was the one that suggested she stayed away from politics since it could put her life in danger from zealots who might go after her.

I hope Youtube does not remove this video so I can experience what is was like here last Fri and Sat
You can direct download the video with a program like JDownloader2 or a browser extension like Easy Youtube Video Downloader, and then watch it at your convenience on the device of your choice. Or even a download site like Y2Mate (though those don't always work, especially with music videos).
Old 08-01-23, 05:27 PM

Seriously, how great is this woman?
DJariya (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 10:00 PM

The Tweet that the above Tweet linked to is gone. Here’s another for context.
The following 4 users liked this post by Decker:
[email protected] (08-02-23), BDB (08-02-23), Kdogg (08-02-23), Obi-Wanma (08-01-23)
Old 08-03-23, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 733 Likes on 360 Posts

Tour is returning to North America for at least 15 dates next year:

Old 08-03-23, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,369 Posts

And some Canadian Swifties can now breathe a sigh of relief.
Old 08-03-23, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I really think the November 23, 2024 date may be the very last date for the Eras Tour. Swift deserves a rest while spending time working on her 11th studio album. Don't expect the Roger Centre roof to be open, though.
Old 08-03-23, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by RayChuang
Don't expect the Roger Centre roof to be open, though.
Not in November, no.
Old 08-03-23, 12:51 PM

Good point here : She's so powerful, she's setting next year's NFL schedule now.
[email protected] (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 05:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,176 Likes on 831 Posts

We'll be trying for Toronto and NOLA. Looking forward to paying an insane rate for the hotel rooms, too
Old 08-03-23, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe she will enter Bezos territory after this tour ends with all the cash she will be taking in.
Old 08-03-23, 09:10 PM

I saw a blurb that with the new dates, the tour is now projected to gross over $2B. No world tour has ever grossed even $1B so far.
Old 08-03-23, 10:03 PM

First track from Reputation- TV has been released in a crappy Amazon show.
Old 08-03-23, 11:44 PM

Looks like Taylor is filming the LA shows.
Old 08-04-23, 09:59 AM

Does anyone have any information about how this is going to work? Like I am interested in Toronto or Indy, but when you apply, it asks to to specifically chose a date too. So I'm not sure if it's better to like list 2 dates in Indy, or one of each city? I'm not sure why you can't just put in a ciity and be eligible to be selected for any of the shows in that city.
Old 08-04-23, 10:58 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,176 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
Does anyone have any information about how this is going to work? Like I am interested in Toronto or Indy, but when you apply, it asks to to specifically chose a date too. So I'm not sure if it's better to like list 2 dates in Indy, or one of each city? I'm not sure why you can't just put in a ciity and be eligible to be selected for any of the shows in that city.
Yeah, they do that as an attempt to limit the number of scalpers, somehow.
My wife used her ticketmaster account to choose two NOLA dates, and I used mine to choose two Toronto dates (Thursday & Friday in the second week, fingers crossed!)
Then, if you win the 'lottery' you'll get an email letting you know, at which point you can sign in on the day the tickets go on sale and try to select your seats.

I'm kinda hoping for Toronto to work out for us. It's always nice to get back across the border
Old 08-04-23, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,451 Likes on 2,483 Posts

I don't have tickets to see Taylor. Didn't win the ticket lottery from work it looks like. Was at work at NFL last night next to Sofi and dropped by the merch trailer during my lunch break. Concert goers were slowly filing in around 5:30pm. The show didn't start until 9pm. I was expecting a crazy line, but managed to snag a few concert tees for me, a friend of mine and my niece. Called my sister and told her I got a shirt for my niece and she said she's actually going on Monday. I just saved her a trip to the merch stand.

The line zoomed through in about 10 minutes. $40 a pop with tax, that I assume is pretty standard.
Old 08-04-23, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, I'm not sure how that helps anything. To me, it makes more sense to let you choose a city or a list of dates, and no matter what you choose, you get offered 1 and only one show.

What do I know though?
Dan (08-04-23)
Old 08-04-23, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 114 Likes on 90 Posts

It's because demand is nuts. They are limiting people to two chances. If they go just by city then people will get three chances. That's 33% more work and 33% more rejection email/txts. Most people are not going to be selected so why increase the overhead?

Yeah, I'm not sure how that helps anything. To me, it makes more sense to let you choose a city or a list of dates, and no matter what you choose, you get offered 1 and only one show.

What do I know though?
If you are selected you are only offered one show.

Originally Posted by Dan
My wife used her ticketmaster account to choose two NOLA dates, and I used mine to choose two Toronto dates (Thursday & Friday in the second week, fingers crossed!)
Then, if you win the 'lottery' you'll get an email letting you know, at which point you can sign in on the day the tickets go on sale and try to select your seats.

I'm kinda hoping for Toronto to work out for us. It's always nice to get back across the border
This. Try to get other people (preferable ones that don't want to go) to register. Also don't pick Saturday. Everyday is hard but the biggest demand will be for Saturday.

A lot of my family lives in the UK. I was talking to my cousin who got tickets to a Wembley show. She said regular tickets went really fast but there were a bunch of really expensive VIP seats that did not. Apparently there are still a handful of those around for all the UK shows for £670. She also said that the floor is just three separate GA sections. That's going to be a fucking mad dash on show days.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.