Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Old 07-06-23, 08:22 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Old 07-06-23, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

In actual Taylor news, Speak Now : TV drops tonight at 12A ET, 9P PT.
I'm looking forward to hearing the new stuff as well as some of the more country songs with a more mature, less twangy voice, like this :

And everyone wants to know if Taylor changed the lyric in Better Than Revenge to no longer be slut shaming. I suspect she did.
Old 07-06-23, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Based on what?
Swift usually releases a new studio album about every two years. Since Midnights came out in November 2022, it would be a natural for the next studio album to come out November 2024. That is perfect timing for Swift to do a Super Bowl halftime show, since it's several months after the end of the Eras Tour.
Old 07-06-23, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by RayChuang
Swift usually releases a new studio album about every two years. Since Midnights came out in November 2022, it would be a natural for the next studio album to come out November 2024. That is perfect timing for Swift to do a Super Bowl halftime show, since it's several months after the end of the Eras Tour.
Hardly clockwork. Three years between 1989 and Reputation, one between Lover and folklore, then 6 months between folklore and evermore.
She's actively recording stuff now at Electric Ladyland studio every week, and I doubt she'd put out a new album before the tour wraps, so that timing is possible, but nobody knows yet.
Old 07-06-23, 10:52 AM

Hardly clockwork. Three years between 1989 and Reputation, one between Lover and folklore, then 6 months between folklore and evermore.
She's actively recording stuff now at Electric Ladyland studio every week, and I doubt she'd put out a new album before the tour wraps, so that timing is possible, but nobody knows yet.
The situation with Folklore and Evermore was very unusual because of the COVID lockdown, where she essentially "locked down" at Aaron Dressner's Long Pond Studios in upper New York state for several months to work on those two albums with their stripped down sound with no outside interference. I still think she has begun some work on a 11th studio album, though we haven't seen actual songs yet, given she's probably working on the Taylor's Version of Reputation and her debut album right now plus additional songs from the vault, in my opinion.
Old 07-06-23, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by RayChuang
Artists typically use the Halftime show to hype up a tour, not sell records. Given her International tour through at least 2024, I doubt she'll be ready to tour again for at least a few more years.
Old 07-06-23, 11:15 AM

Though I don't want to go too far into the weeds here, whoever they pick for Super Bowl LVIII is going to have some sort of a Las Vegas connection. The Vegas location isn't something they're not going to want to highlight. Maybe it's U2 returning with a version of their new Residency, maybe Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, Gaga, Adele. They'll want some one with a connection to a Las Vegas Residency or the city.
Old 07-06-23, 03:06 PM

And everyone wants to know if Taylor changed the lyric in Better Than Revenge to no longer be slut shaming. I suspect she did.
Yes she did.
Old 07-06-23, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
Do you really think Jay Z is going to pick Metallica to perform the halftime show?

If he still remains in charge

There were probably a lot of people who hated the West Coast rap show in 2022 and Metallica is a international band and known all over and weird they have not been selected.

I know they might say they might be too cool for it but if they were asked they would not turn down the gig
Old 07-06-23, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is not good

do you blame her or the people she hires to maintain that residence?

I thought all you need to do is put your garbage or recycling bin outside and then a truck picks it up and then take the bin back to the house or garage.

Taylor Swift has built up thousands of dollars worth of fines because of rubbish which has been left outside of her New York City home, according to reports.

The 33-year-old singer has allegedly been ticketed a whopping 32 times for failing to keep the area in front of her building clean, with the fines totalling $3,010.

The fines, which have been issued by New York's Sanitation Department, are said to have been given to Taylor between January 2018 and January 2023.

Inspectors were allegedly unhappy with the dirty pavement outside of Taylor's three-story townhouse as well as the singer's "improper disposal of garbage".

According to records obtained by The New York Post, the area outside of Taylor's Tribeca home was full of piles of newspapers, bottles, cardboard and napkins.

The publication reported that there were also "scattered ashtray contents" and a cigarette carton on the floor.

The Mirror has approached Taylor's representatives for comment.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-cele...-more-30378793
Old 07-06-23, 11:34 PM

Received 152 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
This is not good

do you blame her or the people she hires to maintain that residence?

I thought all you need to do is put your garbage or recycling bin outside and then a truck picks it up and then take the bin back to the house or garage.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-cele...-more-30378793
I donít know about that. Yes itís her responsibility but itís not necessary her trash. Apparently in that area of New York, the buildingís owner is responsible for keeping the sideway in front clean. That means if some rando litters, the owners has to clean it up. Maybe the city shouldnít offload upkeep of public areas to private owners? That article is leaving details out. How much of that stuff is paparazzi or fans camping out to catch a pix?
Old 07-06-23, 11:41 PM

Oh dear, how will she afford that $3000 fine?
Old 07-07-23, 12:26 AM

Oh dear, how will she afford that $3000 fine?
US$3,000 is less than pocket change for Taylor Alison Swift nowadays.
Old 07-07-23, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Somebody in Kansas City had too much time on his hands?

Oh they finished her face. Last photo I saw was mainly just her eyes.

They opened a merch truck at Arrowhead for those not going to the concerts on Fri/Sat. Huge crowds, of course.
Old 07-07-23, 01:29 AM

Okay, just gave Speak Now TV a full listen. First thoughts : Her voice is much richer here, but that doesnít always work with these songs so well. I think Mine, Enchanted and Long Live sound considerably better. Iím torn on Back To December, itís pretty but I think I prefer her vocals in the original. Mean is nice but doesnít work as well as that young vulnerable vocal in the original. And sadly, my favorite track from SN, ďDear JohnĒ is a total miss - she doesnít sound mad or hurt and the song is too pretty and less raw. And most unforgivable, it doesnít have the John Mayer heavy guitar riff any more. Really disappointing for a truly great song.

As far as the new tracks go, I need to listen to them some more, but my first take-away is that thereís one that is head and shoulders above the rest. That song is I Can See You and itís fabulous and so mature (and horny). No way I believe that 19 year old TS wrote that along with the rest of these tracks, but I donít care. That song is gonna be on repeat in my car for a while. Sorry Olivia Rodrigo, you had a solid week run.

Hereís the song
Old 07-07-23, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume Target does not have a special edition for Speak Now?

It seems they randomly do special editions with bonus songs with Love and Midnight but not for the Taylor Editions.
Old 07-07-23, 08:23 PM

I assume Target does not have a special edition for Speak Now?

It seems they randomly do special editions with bonus songs with Love and Midnight but not for the Taylor Editions.

Target exclusive triple lilac-marbled vinyl discs.
No exclusive tracks.

BTW : The Target-exclusive song from Midnights, "Hits Different" now streams on the 'Til Dawn' Edition of the album now. It's a terrific track, I love it.
Old 07-07-23, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

So now that we only have 3 (Taylor's Version) albums left to release what order do you think we'll get them?

My guess is: Reputation, Taylor Swift, and then close it out with 1989 since that is her most popular album.
Old 07-07-23, 09:31 PM

That would probably be my guess as well. All I would really be interested in is Reputation and 1989 Vault tracks. The novelty of the re-recordings has already worn off on me. I can't imagine anyone really preferring this SN to the original tracks. A lot of the songs original charms are lost on the new recordings. I can see some curiosity for how 33 year old Taylor sounds on those early Debut tracks, but that album doesn't have much appeal to me, plus it's kind of weird for a full on adult to be singing those high schooler songs. And 1989 and Reputation are so recent she won't bring much new to the table. And I can't imagine that the songs production will sound better without Max Martin's involvement.
Old 07-07-23, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The originals of her first 3 albums I had barely ever listened to so I don't have any nostalgia for them. I didn't really start getting in to her work until when Red was out. I really enjoyed the Fearless (Taylor's Version) and have listened to it a bunch since it came out. I've only listened to Speak Now (Taylor's Version) once all the way through so way to early for me to make an opinion.

I personally don't find these re-releases to be a novelty. We know why she's doing them and the fact that she's also releasing them with a bunch of extra songs is a great bonus in my opinion.
Old 07-07-23, 10:02 PM

It's not like I don't like it or think she shouldn't be doing it, but I do think fans in a few weeks will go back to streaming the original version instead of this for those old songs.

Here, let me give you an audio example : Listen first to the original track for "Mean". Pay close attention to that young sweet but slightly hurt and vulnerable voice. That girl really sounds like a tough review hurt her deeply. And you can hear the resolve in her voice to rise above it and use that as motivation going forward (which she absolutely did).

Now listen to the new version. Her voice is deeper, richer. But it's not at all vulnerable. It feels inauthentic to me now. It's not bad, but it's not better and it doesn't bring anything all that interesting and new to the discussion.

I'm curious to hear what Nathan and Nora have to say about the album on Every Single Album podcast next week. Nathan posted a 17-part Tweet with some thoughts. He likes it but gets that others might not be feeling it.
Old 07-07-23, 10:58 PM

The Taylor detectives have already concluded that 1989 TV is next.
Exhibit A : Taylor's Polaroid pics posted today

Exhibit B : Taylor's light blue nails in this brief Spotify video for SNTV today
Old 07-08-23, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I've mentioned my love for the Every Single Album podcast and I'm looking forward to their breakdown of Speak Now.
Old 07-08-23, 12:26 AM

New video for the Vault song I liked :
Old 07-08-23, 12:26 AM

And more confirmation of 1989 TV

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.