Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 09:27 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by The Cow
2019-03-08: Within Temptation, In Flames, and Smash into Pieces at the Chicago House of Blues.

Been waiting a long time to see Within Temptation and they sounded great. My first time at the Chicago HoB, cool place.
I was at that show, front and center with my daughter. I was also very impressed with Within Temptation. A couple of my pictures spoilerized below.
Spoiler:

Old 03-13-19, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I was at that show, front and center with my daughter. I was also very impressed with Within Temptation. A couple of my pictures spoilerized below.

We were probably very close to you. We had VIP bar stools right at the front by the left side bar, but merged into the front with the crowd for the bands.

It was a struggle to get out to the bathroom and back. :loi:
Old 03-17-19, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

2019-03-16: KISS at Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH.

Typical KISS set list as we all know. The stage has some nice new touches/additions. KISS was high energy and the sound was great. Crowd was really into the show, and it was a very entertaining evening.

No opening band, but they did have painter David Garibaldi make a few paintings before the show. This one was a nice touch for Columbus :

Old 03-19-19, 02:41 AM
Cool New Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The Neighbourhood not so long ago in Vilnius, the sound system was not appropriate tho, could not handle it :/
Old 03-20-19, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Within Temptation, In Flames and Smash Into Pieces last night. Within Temptation gets better every time I see them. In Flames was awesome. Smash into Pieces was very meh. They seemed to be missing something.
Old 03-22-19, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Dream Theater last night at The Wiltern. Another great show. They played Metropolis part 2 all the way through.
Old 03-24-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Hypocrisy
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Aenimus

Oriental Theater, Denver 03/20/19

Great show. Hypocrisy is one of my favorite bands, and they don't get through here often enough. I think it's been a bit more than 10 years since I saw them last. Great setlist, I just wish they would have played a few more. Met part of the band at a nearby restaurant as they were waiting for a takeout order. Nice guys for the minute I spent thanking them for coming through. Fleshgod Apocalypse was also really good. I was happy that they didn't use as much of the higher-pitched vocals, and stuck mostly with the lower-end growls.
Old 03-26-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Caught Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets last night. Very good show. It was nice hearing the old shit.
Old 03-28-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Weezer and Pixies last night here in Tulsa. It was a really good show. My daughter enjoyed it immensely.
Old 03-28-19, 12:37 PM
Political Exile

Caught Cradle of Filth, Wednesday 13, and Raven Black at the House of Blues Chicago earlier this week. I enjoyed the show well enough, but I was expecting a little more stage production from Cradle of Filth, just a couple lamps and a backdrop.

Spoiler:

Cradle of Filth

Wednesday 13

Raven Black

Old 03-29-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Saw The Dickies again last week. Leonard cut the set short because he wasn't feeling well, so they did an instrumental, had the 2nd guitarist sing Wagon Train, and asked for a volunteer from the audience to sing Gigantor. I wanted to do it but they picked someone else. Probably for the better. I'd have to kill myself afterwards if I ever performed with The Dickies, as everything else in life from that point on would be a disappointment. "Oh sure, I just had sex with Lana Condor, but it wasn't as cool as being a DICKIE that one time..."

Then last night I went to The Dollyrots. Damn, what a fun time that band is. They banter on stage like they're an old married couple. Probably because they ARE an old married couple. Even better, it seems genuine and ad-libbed, not planned. When Luis suggested an impromptu song from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, Kelly nixed it. "We're a punk rock band, we don't have the kind of talent to do that on the spot". If they're ever in your town, I highly recommend going. It'll cost you less than 20 bucks to get in, and you'll leave with a smile on your face.
Old 04-03-19, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Saw Spiritualized tonight. It was AMAZING.
Old 04-03-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Saw Muse again last night in D.C. Great as usual. Could have done without those back-up dancers (if that's what you want to call them). They came out and played trombones (although I don't think they were actually playing). They were dropped from the ceiling on wires waving around flashlights. They marched around stage from time to time. Just found them annoying. And made the show feel like the MTV Video Awards. I just felt they were unnecessary props IMO.
Old 04-03-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Saw Bauhaus last night (well, Peter Murphy & David J, so half of Bauhaus), they played their first album, "In The Flat Fields" in it's entirety for it's 40th anniversary, then did a bunch of "hits" for the second half, ending with a near perfect rendition of Bella Lugosi's Dead. Great show, though there were some major audio technical issues during the first couple songs, that they sorted out by the third song.

So many aging goths!
Old 04-04-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Andrew Bird
@ Sleeping Village
Chicago IL
04/03/19

This was an afternoon invite-only (aka free) performance sponsored by a local radio station.
It was Bird and his full band, doing a half-a-dozen tracks, in a really small room.
Wonderful stuff.
Old 04-05-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Saw Bauhaus last night (well, Peter Murphy & David J, so half of Bauhaus), they played their first album, "In The Flat Fields" in it's entirety for it's 40th anniversary, then did a bunch of "hits" for the second half, ending with a near perfect rendition of Bella Lugosi's Dead. Great show, though there were some major audio technical issues during the first couple songs, that they sorted out by the third song.

So many aging goths!
I had tickets for January and the day of the show I gall bladder decided to try and kill me. I was more upset missing that show than the surgery and/or paying for it. I here that they are talking with Daniel and may do a full reunion tour, I just hope they pass back this way if they do.
Old 04-08-19, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I just got back from seeing Dark Star Orchestra. They’re a Grateful Dead tribute band that recreates entire shows song for song. Tonight they did 4/7/72 which was the first night of the Europe 72 tour.
Old 04-08-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I just got back from seeing Dark Star Orchestra. They’re a Grateful Dead tribute band that recreates entire shows song for song. Tonight they did 4/7/72 which was the first night of the Europe 72 tour.
Nice show! Love me some Black Throated Wind.
Old 04-08-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Nice show! Love me some Black Throated Wind.
The 2nd set was insane. Truckin’ > Drums >The Other One > El Paso > The Other One. Must’ve been 30-40 minutes of continuous playing. Then there was a “White Rabbit” encore thatw wasn’t from the 1972 show. I think they mostly did that to give some stage time to the other drummer and the lady that does Donna Godchaux’s part.
Old 04-08-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

On April 2nd 2019 My buddies and I were at the legendary 1st in Minneapolis and really enjoyed Mott The Hoople with openers, The Suburbs. Both were excellent! If ONLY the 'burbs would have been able the to bring THAT Twin Cities sound to the nation! Real up and fun. Then Ian Hunter, Ariel Bender (Luther Grosvenor), Morgan Fisher, and the rest of the Rant Gang come on and recreated their sound from their high-point of 1974. All The Young Dudes indeed!

Last edited by JANK; 04-08-19 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-19, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

The Tea Party for the umpteenth time. Always a great show!
Old 04-22-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Caught Of Montreal again last night, great show.
Old 04-23-19, 10:34 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

I was supposed to see Let's Eat Grandma earlier this month, but they cancelled their tour for personal reasons.

4/19 - Broods @ Asbury Lanes (Asbury Park)

My May schedule is a bit hectic:
5/7 - Tom Morello @ The Stone Pony (Asbury Park)
5/10 - Phantom Planet @ Resident (Los Angeles)
5/11 - Phantom Planet @ The Constellation Room (Santa Ana)
5/19 - Chromatics @ Union Transfer (Philly) -- I might sell, didn't realize it was the same night as the GoT finale
5/24 - Passion Pit @ The Fillmore (Philly) -- he's a childhood friend, not sure if I am going to go or not
5/25 - Snail Mail @ Asbury Lanes (Asbury Park)

I may get a ticket for Bob Seger, but I don't really want to pay $80 for a lawn seat at an amphitheater, so that's up in the air currently.

Last edited by dex14; 04-29-19 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 01:59 PM
Political Exile

Saw Hatebreed with Obituary a week or so back. I keep forgetting how rough some of these shows can be. There was an opening band called Terror that inspired a lot of crowd surfers, so I was constantly trying to keep (unsuccessfully) from getting kicked in the head.

My May-ish schedule of purchased tickets:
5/2 - Overkill & Death Angel - Chicago House of Blues
5/5 - Metal Church & Doro Pesch - Arcada at St Charles
5/16 - Slayer, Lamb of God, Amon Amarth & Cannibal Corpse - Indianapolis
5/21 - Avantasia - Patio Theater Chicago
5/25 - Judas Priest - Rosemont Theatre
6/1 - Flotsam & Jetsam - Forge in Joliet

I have a few more May shows that I'm considering, Skeletal Remains 5/13, Damned Things 5/17, Stitched Up Heart 5/20, Avatar 5/22, Deicide 5/23, Dark Funeral & Belphegor 5/26.
Old 04-25-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Terror's crowds get pretty into it, that's for sure. I've always enjoyed seeing Hatebreed live, despite being fairly ambivalent about their albums.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.