Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Interpol and The Kills the other night in San Diego...

Old 10-07-18, 06:35 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

^^^ Great bill. I saw Interpol on their tour opener. Saw The Kills last year. One of the better shows I’ve seen recently. Alison Moshart is a fucking rockstar.
Old 10-08-18, 08:55 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
It was fantastic! That was my first time seeing them and Striker.

The VIP M&G was completely worth it!
Saw Unleash the Archers last Friday night with Striker opening. I did the Meet & Greet, and although it was a stripped down meet & greet, posters were presigned, quick pictures, etc, it still felt personal enough with the singer and band so grateful to those that showed up.

But, boy could she sing. I wasn't sure she could reproduce the powerful vocals in a live show, but she knocked it out.

Old 10-08-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Saw Unleash the Archers last Friday night with Striker opening. I did the Meet & Greet, and although it was a stripped down meet & greet, posters were presigned, quick pictures, etc, it still felt personal enough with the singer and band so grateful to those that showed up.

But, boy could she sing. I wasn't sure she could reproduce the powerful vocals in a live show, but she knocked it out.
Yeah... the Chicago show was sold-out so the stripped down M&G makes sense to save some time. Great vids. You should post them in the FB UTA fan group.
Old 10-09-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Saw Madball and Suicidal Tendencies at the Complex in SLC.
Great show, at the end half the crowd ended up on the stage for Institutionalized, the encore song.
Old 10-09-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
2018-09-23:

Ozzy was more energetic than I expected, and they sounded good, playing mostly hits. He only did 15 songs. I could have done without the half-hour guitar and drum solo, it dragged on too much.
Agreed. By the end I was sick of Zack Wylde. His solos just keep droning on and on. And he butchers every song he plays. I don't want to hear his interpretation of a Randy Rhoades solo or a Tony Iommi solo. I want to hear it done correctly, note for note. I've been listening to those songs for years, adding a 1000 pinch harmonics doesn't make them better.
Old 10-09-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Christina Aguilera at the Wang Center in Boston last night. I'm not a huge fan, but I've always appreciate her vocal talent, and tickets were pretty cheap ($59 for 5th row in the pit). Glad I went, it was a great mix of old-school talent (she had a crack band) mixed up with a modern production. Highlights for me was definitely mid-set double punch of "Lady Marmalade" and "Ain't No Other Man".

Here's a video I shot of her covering James Brown's "It's a Man's Man's Man's World". A little distorted, but worth it to hear the high note she hits at the finale.

Old 10-11-18, 09:37 AM
Political Exile

Was able to get tickets for Disturbed's "intimate" show for last night at the Vic Theatre. Tickets had "sold out" within seconds, but I was able to get in after a few minutes to pick up tickets I guess people released during the checkout process.

No openers and a surprisingly short set (maybe 1:20) which is actually a plus on a work night to finish before 9:30pm.

Old 10-13-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Bob Dylan in Tulsa, OK October 12, 2018

His Bobness was in fine voice and played quite a few songs from Time Out Of Mind and Tempest. Was my 6th time seeing him and hope he lives to be a hundred and fifty so I can see him many more times.

Going to see Garbage tonight at the same venue.
Old 10-16-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I saw the Foo Fighters again last night in Detroit. Great.
They have two more concerts before this tour wraps up and you could tell Grohl's voice was really worn down. Having seen them a few months back at Wrigley, he was still going very strong... but last night you could hear the hoarse in his voice. Other than that (small gripe) they were awesome as usual and played well over 3 hours.
Old 10-16-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Saw Iron & Wine a few weeks ago. I've seen him before, but just solo acoustic opening up for bigger acts, and this was my first time seeing him headlining with a full band. Pretty fantastic! His band (cello, keys, drums) were all women (bass player was a dude), two of the women sang back-up and harmony - they sounded amazing together, even more so when singing with Sam. What struck me was how goofy he was, as in his personality. You don't see it in his songs at all, but he's totally jovial, and full of jokes and funny asides. When he'd mess up the words for a song, he'd just laugh - which was actually endearing, as he doesn't take himself at all seriously like one would assume. For the encore, the women in the band came out in fake beards - just goofy! I highly recommend seeing him live if you ever get a chance, just a feel good time.
Old 10-16-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Garbage was excellent. The funniest part was when Shirley Manson went to thank the opening act...except there wasn't an opening act that night. She was clearly embarrassed.

Last edited by stvn1974; 10-17-18 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 09:21 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

It has been a busy two weeks...

10/6 - Meg Myers -- House of Blues Chicago
10/8 - Phil Collins -- Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia
10/9 - Death Cab For Cutie -- Tower Theatre, Philadelphia
10/12 ACL Fest - Alice Merton, Bishop Briggs, Alvvays, Sir Sly, Jungle, The National, Father John Misty, Paul McCartney
10/13 ACL Fest - Wallows, VÉRITÉ, The Wombats, Japanese Breakfast, Marian Hill, CHVRCHES, Metallica
10/13 - Mini Mansions -- Barracuda, Austin
10/14 ACL Fest - Twin Shadow, Parquet Courts, Janelle Monáe, The Revolution, St. Vincent, Arctic Monkeys

Upcoming...

10/18 - Elton John -- MSG, NYC

I have some travel in DC next week and may hit up some shows if there is time.
Old 10-17-18, 10:35 AM
Political Exile

Saw Metallica last night in Milwaukee. Fantastic setlist as far as I'm concerned with my favorites from Ride The Lightning including Creeping Death, For Whom the Bell Tolls and Fade to Black along with plenty of older classics like Master of Puppets, Seek & Destroy, Motorbreath. Hard to believe it's been 30 years since I first saw them on the Justice tour in college, and for this show, I got to bring my 25 year old daughter. Seeing Garbage tonight, Machine Head Saturday, and Trivium on Sunday and Suffocation next week, so busy week for me.

Old 10-18-18, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Cat Power in Atlanta last Saturday night. 4th time seeing her. She sounded fantastic, though it was definitely a very low-energy show.

Saw Metallica last night in Milwaukee.
Going Monday night. If I may ask, do you recall approx. what time they came on stage?
Old 10-18-18, 11:03 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Jack's Smirking
Going Monday night. If I may ask, do you recall approx. what time they came on stage?
Hmm, maybe 8:30pm? There was no opening act, but I think they were showing videos and pictures on a projection screen.

I was in line at the merch table nearest to my seats, and the line barely moved during the 45 minutes that it took me to get to the front. The whole time people around me (including me) were complaining to the people buying shirts as we could see each person looking at each shirt design and holding the shirts up to themselves, we were all "WTF, you don't know your size? You don't know what shirt you want yet?".

Then I get up to the front, and say, "Shirt C in Small and Large please". Sorry, out of small and large. "Do you have any shirts in large?" No. "Can I see the extra large?" Me holding up shirt to myself to see if how large it looks. "What shirts do you have in small?" Daughter looks at shirt selection. "How about Medium?". Daughter holds up shirt to see how it would fit.
Old 10-18-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I do love Metallica's stage setup. I saw them back in 2009 with it, and thought it was great then.
Old 10-18-18, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, maybe 8:30pm? There was no opening act, but I think they were showing videos and pictures on a projection screen.
That's helpful, thank you! Trying to time dinner (and pre-gaming the concert).

Also, it anticipated my follow up question, so thank you again.

And my wife lets me get away with a lot musically, but no way she's letting me get our daughter a Metallica shirt.
Old 10-26-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Leaving to see Ghost for the third time. Hoping they do that epic two set show on this tour.
Old 10-26-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Steel Panther with openers The Wild! last night.
The Wild!'s vocals were a little oddly mixed (unless that's how he sounds, I never heard them before).
It was Steel Panther's Halloween show. They played some of their stuff and a few 80 hits that everyone knew (I Wanna Rock, Crazy Train, Jump). There was like a ten minute call and response with things that rhyme with "rock" in the rhythm of that song.
They're rude, crude, and offensive, but they both parody 80's metal exceedingly well, and rock in their own right.
They did a few of the same jokes and medleys they did last year when I saw them.

May see GWAR next weekend. First time I will have seen them since the GWARBQ where Oderus was sent off.
Old 10-26-18, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ghost was amazing as was the setlist.
Old 10-27-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Psychedelic Furs at the Cabot in Beverly, MA last week.

They sounded great. I don't keep up with them enough to know who is original besides Richard Butler, but the songs sounded spot-on, and Butler was really into it.

I think the Cabot is about a 1,000 seat venue, and it was sold out, packed and rocking, too. That always makes things more fun.
Old 10-28-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Psychedelic Furs at the Cabot in Beverly, MA last week.

They sounded great. I don't keep up with them enough to know who is original besides Richard Butler, but the songs sounded spot-on, and Butler was really into it.
Saw them last year down on the Cape, I went on a whim and was surprised at how good they were. (The Church opening up for them were also great.)

Caught the Lone Bellow at the Shalin Liu in Rockport last night. They were as great as always (my 5th or 6th time seeing them). On this tour, its just the three core members, and everything is completely acoustic except for one microphone center stage, which picks up all the vocals and instruments. Sounded fantastic!!
Old 10-28-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Saw them last year down on the Cape, I went on a whim and was surprised at how good they were. (The Church opening up for them were also great.)

Caught the Lone Bellow at the Shalin Liu in Rockport last night. They were as great as always (my 5th or 6th time seeing them). On this tour, its just the three core members, and everything is completely acoustic except for one microphone center stage, which picks up all the vocals and instruments. Sounded fantastic!!
Huh, I was not familiar with Lone Bellow, but checked them out on Youtube, pretty cool. I totally missed that show coming around, or I might have gone-- I live about a mile and a half from Shalin Liu.

I think The Cabot in Beverly has found its niche; I think there are a lot of people on the North Shore who want to see bands like that, but don't want to drive into Boston. The restoration of that theater has been a really good thing for the area.
Old 10-29-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Huh, I was not familiar with Lone Bellow, but checked them out on Youtube, pretty cool. I totally missed that show coming around, or I might have gone-- I live about a mile and a half from Shalin Liu.
I think you would have like them. Very soulful show, and I could listen to their harmonies all day long. Here's a clip someone else shot:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.