Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Old 10-29-18, 12:00 PM
  #2276  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Brooklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,253
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Saw them last year down on the Cape, I went on a whim and was surprised at how good they were. (The Church opening up for them were also great.)
Caught The Church on Saturday in CT. Being the Starfish 30th anniversary tour they began the show by playing the album in its entirety.
Brooklyn is offline  
Old 10-29-18, 01:40 PM
  #2277  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,163
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Suffocation and Cattle Decapitation over the weekend. Suffocation is doing a farewell to Frank tour since their lead singer is no longer going to tour with the band after this tour. They sounded really good at this show, cleanest sound mix I've heard at a death metal show.

Cattle Decapitation was supposed working on their next album (their previous two albums Anthropocene Extinction and Monolith of Inhumanity are death metal masterpieces), but decided to support Suffocation on this tour.

I got to hang out with Cattle Decapitation for 30 minutes in their tour bus before the show. As anyone that follows them knows, they are vegans and environmentalists, and their "death" metal lyrics are heavily into those issues. But they are regular dudes, and aren't judgmental. They do say that it's hard to eat Vegan on the road, they depend on eating at the nearest Embassy (McDonald's) and ordering a Big Mac with no meat patties. They are just beginning to write their new album, and are hoping to release it in about a year. I love their last two albums, so hopefully they can sustain this momentum. They've added a second guitarist which greatly helps their live sound, but hopefully will also add more variety to their next album too.
PerryD is offline  
Old 10-29-18, 01:45 PM
  #2278  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,781
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Steely Dan at The Beacon in NYC, they did Countdown to Ecstasy and some fan faves.. good show.
mphtrilogy is online now  
Old 10-29-18, 02:36 PM
  #2279  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 42,757
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
Steely Dan at The Beacon in NYC, they did Countdown to Ecstasy and some fan faves.. good show.
What is Steely Dan now? Just Donald Fagan and some studio musicians?

It kills me that they played a short residency at the Venetian last year and I missed it. I would have loved to see them, but my wife (for whatever reason) hates their music.
Decker is online now  
Old 11-09-18, 01:11 PM
  #2280  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,322
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Claudio Simonetti, with his new version of "Goblin"

They played live to a screening of Suspiria. While it was still an amazing experience, I was more than slightly disappointed that the version of Suspiria shown had the soundtrack intact. I thought they'd be playing instead of it, rather than on top of it. And the soundtrack was LOUD, so I was never really sure if I was hearing the soundtrack or the live musicians.

After the film, however, they did a set of film songs including Demons, Phenomena, Dawn of the Dead, and Deep Red. Phenomena was easily the highlight of the set, as the song is basically used directly in the movie.

Not as cool as I'd hoped it would be, but I'd be kicking myself forever if I'd missed this.
Paff is online now  
Old 11-09-18, 01:32 PM
  #2281  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Cusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 7,489
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Just got tickets for Peter Murphy and David J for January. I am pumped, I wish it was a full reunion with Kevin and Daniel, but I will take 1/2 a reunion show.

Going to see Of Montreal on the 14th.
Cusm is offline  
Old 11-10-18, 01:42 PM
  #2282  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,656
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

2018-11-09: The Birthday Massacre & Julien-K at Top Cats in Cincinnati.

Not usually my genre, but I really like The Birthday Massacre. Had a great time at this show. Very small intimate venue with great sound. Met the band and they are super friendly.
The Cow is online now  
Old 11-11-18, 08:37 AM
  #2283  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Elvis Costello last night in Boston. It was my first time seeing him, and it was a fantastic show. I know he had some health issues earlier in the year, but his voice was strong and whole band was sharp, particularly the piano/keyboard player.

A nice mix of old hits and stuff from the new album. Highlights for me were the piano/vocal version of Accidents Will Happen, and a hard-rocking I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea.
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 11-11-18, 08:44 AM
  #2284  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
JANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: on some faraway beach
Posts: 1,893
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

2018-11-01: Little Steven & The Disciples Of Soul at Ames Center in Burnsville MN.

Great NJ Rock & Soul revue. Lots of energy, low on dynamics but it was good to see him out there sending his message. Rock will save you!
JANK is offline  
Old 11-19-18, 05:27 PM
  #2285  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26,892
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

11/10 - Saves The Day - The Stone Pony, Asbury Park
11/18 - Mitski - Union Transfer, Philly
dex14 is offline  
Old 11-19-18, 05:55 PM
  #2286  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 934
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Saw Suffocation and Cattle Decapitation over the weekend. Suffocation is doing a farewell to Frank tour since their lead singer is no longer going to tour with the band after this tour. They sounded really good at this show, cleanest sound mix I've heard at a death metal show.

Cattle Decapitation was supposed working on their next album (their previous two albums Anthropocene Extinction and Monolith of Inhumanity are death metal masterpieces), but decided to support Suffocation on this tour.

I got to hang out with Cattle Decapitation for 30 minutes in their tour bus before the show. As anyone that follows them knows, they are vegans and environmentalists, and their "death" metal lyrics are heavily into those issues. But they are regular dudes, and aren't judgmental. They do say that it's hard to eat Vegan on the road, they depend on eating at the nearest Embassy (McDonald's) and ordering a Big Mac with no meat patties. They are just beginning to write their new album, and are hoping to release it in about a year. I love their last two albums, so hopefully they can sustain this momentum. They've added a second guitarist which greatly helps their live sound, but hopefully will also add more variety to their next album too.
I'm kinda bummed I missed this tour, love both Suffocation and Cattle Decap. I've seen Cattle 4 times in the past 2 years though (used to live in San Diego) and the setlist hasn't changed though so I figured it wasn't worth the hour+ drive.
beavis69 is offline  
Old 11-19-18, 06:44 PM
  #2287  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,163
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by beavis69 View Post
I'm kinda bummed I missed this tour, love both Suffocation and Cattle Decap. I've seen Cattle 4 times in the past 2 years though (used to live in San Diego) and the setlist hasn't changed though so I figured it wasn't worth the hour+ drive.
Yeah, I was surprised that Cattle only played tracks from their last two albums, no deep cuts.

Good article posted today on Rolling Stone on the Suffocation show
Farewell, Frank Mullen: Suffocationís Death-Metal Maestro Goes Out on Top
PerryD is offline  
Old 11-28-18, 01:04 AM
  #2288  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
ultimaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,705
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Daniel Avery/The Jesus and Mary Chain/Nine Inch Nails - Irving, TX
ultimaton is offline  
Old 11-30-18, 11:01 AM
  #2289  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,853
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Elvis Costello Wednesday at the Anaheim House of Blues. I didn't bring my nicer camera, but I did grab two songs at the end.

Here is one of them...
Chrisedge is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 05:56 PM
  #2290  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,853
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

I saw Dave Alvin and Jimmy Dale Gilmore's final night of the tour last night at the Coach House in San Juan Capo, CA last night. It might have been one of the best rocking nights I've seen of Mr Alvin. Plus I got permission to record from the soundboard (Mics and SBD matrix used here)

Chrisedge is offline  
Old 12-13-18, 02:12 PM
  #2291  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,163
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Black Dahlia Murder this week, with Havok supporting.


PerryD is offline  
Old 12-13-18, 09:58 PM
  #2292  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,853
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

For those that know, I tape bands, mostly stealth, but as mentioned above, I got permission and Dave is on the Internet Archive. Probably my best recording of 30 years at it...

https://archive.org/details/davealvi...aud.sbd.flac16
Chrisedge is offline  
Old 12-17-18, 05:02 PM
  #2293  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 361
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Nine Inch Nails and The Jesus and Mary Chain on Saturday for their last of 6 shows at the Hollywood Palladium. The Jesus and Mary Chain was alright. NIN put on a good show, but there seemed to be too many slow filler songs thrown in there and not enough "hits." When you start the show with "Wish" and follow it with "Last," "March Of The Pigs" and "Piggy" you need to keep the pace up and not slow it down for the next five songs. I was really glad that they played "Wish," "The Perfect Drug" and covered David Bowie's "I'm Afraid Of Americans." They should of played "Closer" though.
rhpsozzy is offline  
Old 12-17-18, 05:11 PM
  #2294  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,137
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
For those that know, I tape bands, mostly stealth, but as mentioned above, I got permission and Dave is on the Internet Archive. Probably my best recording of 30 years at it...

https://archive.org/details/davealvi...aud.sbd.flac16
Awesome Alvin is great and JDG is simply one of the genre's best, underrated.

I saw Midland at the Varsity in Minneapolis last week - great show.

Last edited by Geofferson; 12-17-18 at 05:17 PM.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 12-18-18, 11:19 AM
  #2295  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,361
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by rhpsozzy View Post
Saw Nine Inch Nails and The Jesus and Mary Chain on Saturday for their last of 6 shows at the Hollywood Palladium. The Jesus and Mary Chain was alright. NIN put on a good show, but there seemed to be too many slow filler songs thrown in there and not enough "hits." When you start the show with "Wish" and follow it with "Last," "March Of The Pigs" and "Piggy" you need to keep the pace up and not slow it down for the next five songs. I was really glad that they played "Wish," "The Perfect Drug" and covered David Bowie's "I'm Afraid Of Americans." They should of played "Closer" though.
To be fair, you saw the last of a 6 night run in a single city. They had a lot of other dates to cover the entirety of the hits.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 12-18-18, 08:36 PM
  #2296  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 361
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
To be fair, you saw the last of a 6 night run in a single city. They had a lot of other dates to cover the entirety of the hits.
True. I'm just glad to hear "Perfect Drug," a song never played live before this tour. Honestly with "Closer" being their biggest hit, it should of been one of the ones played at every show, like "Hurt" and "Wish" were.
rhpsozzy is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 01:33 AM
  #2297  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,318
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Steven Wilson last week and The Revolution last night.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 01-02-19, 03:02 PM
  #2298  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,322
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

X, Los Lobos, and The Blasters

First time to see the latter two acts. Even though Billy Zoom of X is more than a bit slowed down, John Doe shows no signs of aging. Ignore a few wrinkles and some gray hair and he's the same guy from Decline of Western Civilization.
Paff is online now  
Old 01-02-19, 05:25 PM
  #2299  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
X, Los Lobos, and The Blasters

First time to see the latter two acts. Even though Billy Zoom of X is more than a bit slowed down, John Doe shows no signs of aging. Ignore a few wrinkles and some gray hair and he's the same guy from Decline of Western Civilization.
Although I hold a grudge against X for just coasting by playing oldies and not putting out any new music as a band (they've been doing this reunion thing for going on twenty years now, I think)--that's still one heck of a lineup to see those three bands together.
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 01-02-19, 10:11 PM
  #2300  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,322
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

I think X, despite only playing older material, vary their live set more than any band from that era (or earlier). I'm a huge fan of fellow LA punksters The Dickies, but I can probably tell you their setlist IN ORDER before I even go. The fact that X is still going with their original lineup is absolutely amazing.
Paff is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.