Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by Mike86
That setlist from Moline did sound pretty cool but honestly I'm sort of glad they didn't do something like that at the show I attended. No Code isn't my favorite of their albums and I prefer more of a mixture I guess. It is cool though due to the fact that they haven't performed a whole album live since 1991.
I am listening to No Code again and would have to agree that it isn't close to my favorite album. There are some good songs but overall it is just ok.
Old 10-30-14, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marilyn Manson at the Observatory in Santa Ana earlier tonight. My first time seeing him and it was an excellent show, although way too short. The show was just about one hour including their encore. A basic greatest hits set with his new song thrown in near the end of the night.
Old 10-30-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

^^ Great tiny venue...I know I am not a MM fan, but I would have gone to that show...
Old 10-31-14, 08:39 AM
Banned

iHeart music festival in Vegas
Old 10-31-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Melvins last night. Loud and heavy, as usual.
Old 10-31-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Wilco- two nights at the Ryman in Nashville last week. Phenomenal shows.
Old 10-31-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
^^ Great tiny venue...I know I am not a MM fan, but I would have gone to that show...
Same for me, although after seeing the show, I've been listening to some of the older albums again...
Old 10-31-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tomorrow I go see Primus, looks like it is going to be a messed up show.
Old 11-01-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last night, on Halloween, I saw King Diamond at the Wiltern. Holy shit, what a show!
Old 11-02-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrissie Hynde in Boston. Turned into a great show, with three encores, but it started out pretty shaky. About 1 minute into the first song, I could see she was really pissed off about something. I was way up in the balcony, so I couldn't make it out, but it was something with fans in the front.

She went way up front and put her foot on a monitor and said "here, take your pictures," but she was getting steamed. About 30 seconds later she stopped the whole band and walked over to those fans and said something like "You're fucking up the whole show, the signs say 'no cameras.' Shut your goddamned phones off and watch the show or I'll have security drag you out."

She apologized a couple songs later, and then it turned into an awesome show. Her voice is still fantastic, and the band sounded really good. I know this has been an issue with a lot of bands, but I think especially for older artists, it drives them nuts with the multitasking, limited focus of younger (and some older) fans.
Old 11-02-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Saw New Politics last night at the Fonda Theater in Hollywood. It was a great show!

They did an awesome cover of Beastie Boys' Sabotage.
Old 11-02-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Wife and I saw Straight No Chaser last night. Very entertaining from start to finish. Say what you will about acapella singing, but we were really impressed and had a wonderful time.
Old 11-02-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

October 31 - The Damned & TSOL - NYC

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w_S_KTP9lHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lUCrd00uEEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-02-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Chrissie Hynde in Boston. Turned into a great show, with three encores, but it started out pretty shaky. About 1 minute into the first song, I could see she was really pissed off about something. I was way up in the balcony, so I couldn't make it out, but it was something with fans in the front.

She went way up front and put her foot on a monitor and said "here, take your pictures," but she was getting steamed. About 30 seconds later she stopped the whole band and walked over to those fans and said something like "You're fucking up the whole show, the signs say 'no cameras.' Shut your goddamned phones off and watch the show or I'll have security drag you out."

She apologized a couple songs later, and then it turned into an awesome show. Her voice is still fantastic, and the band sounded really good. I know this has been an issue with a lot of bands, but I think especially for older artists, it drives them nuts with the multitasking, limited focus of younger (and some older) fans.
Honestly I could see how a performer might get irritated by people now days who are constantly trying to take pictures or get video rather than actually watching the show. Whenever I go to shows I rarely even try because for the most part you end up with shitty quality pictures or videos anyways so it isn't really worth it and plus rather than enjoying yourself you lose focus on the actual event and put more focus on what you're taking a picture of or filming.
Old 11-02-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Good for her. While I was watching The Damned the other day, there was someone filming the show with a fucking Ipad in front of me on the main floor which is standing general admission. Someone from behind me threw a beer at the Ipad. I had to laugh.
Old 11-02-14, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was cheering her on. Granted I'm an old geezer, but I just don't get the point of filming a crappy video instead of enjoying the actual performance---and you can't do both. In some ways I feel bad for those people. I had never seen Chrissie Hynde before, and when those opening notes of "Talk of the Town" started, I was literally on the edge of my seat, like "holy crap, I've loved this song for 30+ years, and now I'm hearing her sing it!" I wonder if a lot of the cell phone generation really misses out on that type of experience with music.
Old 11-02-14, 06:10 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I enjoy taking videos, I usually pick out 3 or 4 songs out of a set to record for posterity sake. I go back and watch my videos once in a while to experience the show again, so it's nice to have. I guess I understand how annoying it would be for an artist since so many fans are doing it. I find it funny watching people recording with their iPhones vertically held up above their head, jumping up and down dancing at the same time while recording, can't imagine anything watchable results from that.
Old 11-02-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't bother filming anything at a show since I know that I can go on YouTube and find someone else's (probably better done) video if I ever want to "relive" the experience.

Just saw Gary Numan in Petaluma, California last week. Had a great position not far from the stage where I could see over the entire crowd. Didn't film a single moment. Just relaxed and enjoyed the show.
Old 11-03-14, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

November 1 - Samhain - NYC

Amazing show. Glenn Danzig had some hipster near the front of the stage removed for filming.
Old 11-03-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some of us like to film And I am an older timer, I used to just audio record, now I do both...and I can certainly enjoy the show and record at the same time...and I am not just watching through the camera.

Anyways. Def Leppard Sat Night in Rancho Mirage...
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-gzw4Ugjw7k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-03-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I guess I also just don't like to out of common courtesy towards the people around me. I hate being that guy trying to hold up his cell phone or whatever trying to get a picture or video. I guess its whatever if people want to or not I just choose not to.
Old 11-03-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is fucking annoying in a venue where you have to stand, especially if they are in front of you while you are trying to watch the show.

Old 11-03-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^, I get it. I don't want to bother anyone either, that is why I don't put my camera above my head. I take extra effort to not block anyone's view. I know someone with a screen on could bother others, but at the same time, drunks, people talking, off-key singers all bother me at shows, but I wouldn't try and impose my beliefs on them. And talkers/drunks effect much more than my screen does I have the tapes to prove it.

Should one have to put up with REALLY BAD, Off-Key singers? Now this girl was BEHIND me, and my mics are highly directional, so it picked up way more DM than her. She literally over powered my ears with her singing all night.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/DMsample.mp3

Last edited by Chrisedge; 11-03-14 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-03-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
November 1 - Samhain - NYC

Amazing show. Glenn Danzig had some hipster near the front of the stage removed for filming.
Glenn was in top form when I saw Samhain last month. What a fucking amazing experience, to see Samhain live in 2014.
Old 11-03-14, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Glenn was in top form when I saw Samhain last month. What a fucking amazing experience, to see Samhain live in 2014.
Samhain Nov 1 Best Buy Theater Manhattan

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1lzm_6sT23w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.