Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw The Pretty Reckless last night. Why these bands insist on playing so loud in such small rooms is beyond me. Total white noise. Plus they apparently utilized their entire complement of lights, including several very bright white lights that strobed a lot, each pointed directly at the audience. It got to the point where I couldn't even keep my eyes open, or had to look down until they stopped. Taylor Momsen has a good enough singing voice on record, but she's kind of weak live. The music definitely drowned her out a good deal of the time. And then, they only played for about an hour, and that was it. Usually, you wait around and cheer for an encore, but when the roadies come out and start breaking things down, it's over.

To be honest, I actually liked the opening band better. They were a Russian band called Louna, on tour for the first time in America.
Old 10-31-13, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very psyched for Thomas Dolby's "Invisible Lighthouse" film/performance tomorrow night:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/BFxbkZqznB0?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/BFxbkZqznB0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 11-03-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Okkervil River
Matthew E. Smith

11/02/13 @ Metro - Chicago, IL

One of the first times in a loooong time where I've been to a show where I actually felt as if the performer literally gave every ounce of energy (to borrow from Bob Seger) to the audience. In this case it's Okkervil's Will Sheff - wow, that guy works it hard. Great show, and kudos for the unexpected: a Lou Reed cover ("Satellite of Love") and an encore of Wang Chang's "Dance Hall Days"...
Old 11-03-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warbringer, Kreator, Overkill at the Trocadero in Philly. Warbringer was ok, Overkill were good, Kreator stole the show!
Old 11-03-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw Deftones at the Greek Theater on Friday night. Good show (not great, not enough old material) but HOLY SHIT is the Greek a gorgeous venue. I'd never been there before and the atmosphere was just incredible.
Old 11-03-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pearl Jam on 10/30 in Charlotte. My favorite band and they were fantastic as always.
Heading to see John Fogerty tonight.
Old 11-03-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I saw Deftones at the Greek Theater on Friday night. Good show (not great, not enough old material) but HOLY SHIT is the Greek a gorgeous venue. I'd never been there before and the atmosphere was just incredible.
I've heard good things about the Greek Theater. I think it is similar to the Tower in Upper Darby near Philly.
Old 11-04-13, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts

Butch Walker in Columbus last night. Small place, but he always does a good show.
Old 11-07-13, 09:12 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Warbringer, Kreator, Overkill at the Trocadero in Philly. Warbringer was ok, Overkill were good, Kreator stole the show!
Saw the show in Joliet IL last night. Here are a couple of my videos that I made from my digital camera

Old 11-08-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
Saw the show in Joliet IL last night. Here are a couple of my videos that I made from my digital camera

Thanks for sharing those! The highlights for me were the songs they played from Feel the Fire and of course Kreator doing Riot of Violence. I wish they had played more from Taking Over and Extreme Aggression. Kreator didn't even touch that album in Philly.
Old 11-08-13, 11:53 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Forgot to update this thread...

This Wednesday (11/6) I saw Drive-By Truckers with The Old '97s as opener.
Old 11-08-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seems backwards.
Old 11-09-13, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw Cults last night in Albuquerque. Awesome show. I missed the two opening acts. They were Sacco and Mood Rings. I'm unfamiliar with either of them. The Cults are fantastic live though
Old 11-09-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Went to NIN last night at Staples Center. They played wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much new shit for my tastes, which sucked even more because the old stuff sounded incredible. Meh. Nothing's going to top the Wave Goodbye show I saw back in '09. I doubt he'll ever play the entire album of Downward Spiral again.
Old 11-09-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was considering going last night, but didn't for various reasons. I also would not have been happy with the weighting of newer stuff in the setlist, but can understand it. I have a friend who went and said it was very loud. Anyway, it was good that you went despite.
Old 11-09-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Went to NIN last night at Staples Center. They played wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much new shit for my tastes, which sucked even more because the old stuff sounded incredible. Meh. Nothing's going to top the Wave Goodbye show I saw back in '09. I doubt he'll ever play the entire album of Downward Spiral again.
That was basicly how I felt when I saw them a couple of weeks ago. Good show, but not great and that's due to setlist. Production wise, still a top notch show.

This is only my second time seeing NIN live, but I easily prefer the '06 show to this one.
Old 11-09-13, 11:19 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
That was basicly how I felt when I saw them a couple of weeks ago. Good show, but not great and that's due to setlist. Production wise, still a top notch show.

This is only my second time seeing NIN live, but I easily prefer the '06 show to this one.
I was surprised the setlist included almost all of the songs on the new album. Still a great show though. Copy of A was a great opening song. Would have loved a few more older songs that he didn't play. But it was still a kick ass show. It was my first time seeing NIN live.

Tonight, I'm just back in from seeing the closing show of the City and Colour tour. Great show. First time I've seen him in concert.
Old 11-12-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Colin Meloy
Eleanor Friedberger

11/11/13 @ Park West - Chicago, IL

Fiery Furnace's Friedberger started the evening, just her, a guitar and some new pedals she wasn't quite used to. A lot of material from her new one - which I really like - as well as the Furnace tune 'Evergreen' .

Meloy's solo acoustic set was a mix of new material, some Decemberist gems and even a Kinks cover.
He was in great voice, and really owned the room.
Old 11-13-13, 08:18 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Colin Meloy
Eleanor Friedberger

11/11/13 @ Park West - Chicago, IL

Fiery Furnace's Friedberger started the evening, just her, a guitar and some new pedals she wasn't quite used to. A lot of material from her new one - which I really like - as well as the Furnace tune 'Evergreen' .

Meloy's solo acoustic set was a mix of new material, some Decemberist gems and even a Kinks cover.
He was in great voice, and really owned the room.
Very jealous of you... I would have loved to see him live. I got in to the Decemberists just last year and haven't gotten to seem them live yet.... When he announced his tour, I went to look at the dates/cities.. Nothing in MI.. the closest was Chicago, but I couldn't fit it in to travel that far for a concert.

Hopefully he'll have more dates in the future and/or The Decemberists will tour again. Really wish I would have gotten into them when Hazards of Love was out to see them perform that whole album.
Old 11-13-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
Very jealous of you... I would have loved to see him live. I got in to the Decemberists just last year and haven't gotten to seem them live yet.... When he announced his tour, I went to look at the dates/cities.. Nothing in MI.. the closest was Chicago, but I couldn't fit it in to travel that far for a concert.

Hopefully he'll have more dates in the future and/or The Decemberists will tour again. Really wish I would have gotten into them when Hazards of Love was out to see them perform that whole album.
I have yet to see a Decemberists show - that's been on my list for some time.
Old 11-15-13, 06:40 AM

I saw The National (in London) a couple nights ago. Was great seeing them live, but was disappointed in the lack of energy in the crowd. I don't dance and like to just take in the music, and I was right near the stage, but the audience just seemed so dead. The National were still awesome though.
Old 11-15-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Nine Inch Nails
Denver, CO

It was a good show, much the same as when I saw them in Kansas City. I was on the floor this time, so the visuals were head on, which changed that aspect a bit.
Old 11-15-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Nine Inch Nails
Denver, CO

It was a good show, much the same as when I saw them in Kansas City. I was on the floor this time, so the visuals were head on, which changed that aspect a bit.
What tours have you seen from NIN? Was this your first? Sorry if you stated that already.
Old 11-17-13, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Just saw Pearl Jam a few hours ago in OKC. I was blindsided by a friend who had a connection with the tickets at a super cheap price. I had to abruptly change my plans on walking into a movie theater in Tulsa at 4 in the afternoon, as we were already there, to turning around and heading back home to get my daughter's coat and be in Oklahoma City by 7. Amazing show as they played about 3 hours of material. The last 4 songs were:
Spoiler:
Black, Alive, Baba O'Riley and Yellow Ledbetter!

Link to the entire setlist:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-...-63c4fe23.html
Old 11-17-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw the Avett Brothers last night in Orlando, FL. They played a variety of new and old music and a few covers as well. Sounded great, lots of energy, and the crowd was very enthusiastic. Had a lot of fun myself and everyone seemed to enjoy it. If you haven't seen them live, I highly recommend it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.