Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Jimmy Eat World on Friday night - great as always.
Old 08-04-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

8/4/13: Descendents/Pennywise (@ America's Cup Pavilion)
Old 08-10-13, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

8/9/13: Mammoth Grinder/Dead In The Dirt/In Disgust/Deadpressure/Buried At Birth/Pancake Lizard (@ Filipino Community Center)
Old 08-10-13, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I saw Yes the other night. Well, without Jon Anderson it's more like Yeah.

Decent show though. They're playing three complete albums, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, and Going for the One. No opening act. They sound fine and the current singer, Jon Davison, does a better job than the tribute band singer they used a few years back.
Old 08-10-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's your guys' opinion on standing at a concert?

My local amphitheatre has a concert series running all summer with a bunch of rock/country acts. They've had Miranda Lambert Dierks Bentley, Kid rock, John Mayer and just now Luke Bryan. I didn't want to go to the John Mayer one because I'm not really into his music, but my friend dragged me and my girl along. I couldn't believe the show, EVERYBODY sat pretty much the entire time in this big outdoor venue, was very surprising to me but I figured it was just because it was JM and his songs are pretty mellow.

So last night, we go to the Florida Georgia Line/Luke Bryan concert. We have front row, aisle seats. The first act comes out (FGL) and he's up there rockin it, high-fiving everyone he can and the energy is 1000x more upbeat than the JM concert. So we're thinking, "Yeah, THIS is how a concert is supposed to be!" So we get up dancing having a great time and then all of a sudden this lady comes up and taps me on the shoulder and says that we have front row seats, why the hell are we standing up? I'm thinking, is this chick for real? So, to be nice, we sit for the next song.

My girlfriend is already getting pissed off, I'm trying to calm her down and while we're sitting there, I'm looking all around me and people are standing EVERYWHERE, I'd say 80% of the entire place was on their feet. So for the next song, we stand again.

Well, now the lady comes back and says we need to trade seats because she's 5 rows back and can't see anything. I basically lost it and said "Bitch, we're a t a concert if you just want sit and stare you could just watch it on TV." I look back and of course she's with about 15 people (ALL sitting still), so I figure I'm getting in a fight any minute now.

They just sit back there yelling for the next few songs about us standing. The singer is literally saying "everyone get out of your damn seats and put your hands up," as they're complaining, which I thought was ironic. So, then they get the ushers involved. The ushers come down and say there are complaints that we're standing. After some prodding I get it out of them that theres no rule against standing, they just have to tell me about the complaints.

The lady in back comes up again to tell us we should have bought lawn seats. Fuck lawn seats. I don't want to have to show up hours early to get a good spot, only to maybe lose it when I go get drinks or whatever. And I'm usually rushing after work to make these events anyway

So that ruined the first act. The second act came up and I'm still preparing for this fight in my mind and then like 15 hot chicks come up to us from all over the place and just start saying they saw what was going on and fuck them. So now I am just surrounded by all these hot half-naked country chicks and we're all just partying the rest of the show and I never bothered to pay attention to those fuckers again.

Now, I thought they were just being boring fucking losers, like seriously who goes to an upbeat concert to just sit there the whole time and stay still? Seems like a total waste to me. So I google standing at concerts when I get home and to my surprise the first things that come up are people complaining about people who stand at concerts. Who the fuck are these lame ass people?? You guys seem to go to a lot of concerts here, is that the norm? I sure hope not
Old 08-10-13, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

People who bitch about people standing at concerts are fucking lame.
Old 08-10-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We have the same seats for the next few concerts ( brad paisley, train, maroon 5 and jason aldean) and im just hoping its not going to be a huge ordeal every damn time
Old 08-10-13, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

If it's a classical performance, or something like Stomp, yes, I sit till the end. I sat through Video Games Live. But if it's a lively pop/rock concert, or sometimes even something slightly less sedate than a symphony, stand the hell up and rock out.
I went to the first Lollapalooza in 91 and I was one of about five people getting into Rollins Band. I had lawn seats, but someone behind me was like "Sit down!" Whatever.
I think the first half dozen shows I ever went to, didn't even have seats
That said, I saw Alice Cooper at an open-air amphitheatre once, and most people were sitting. It wasn't a great venue though in some ways - you could BYOB and picnics and stuff which was cool in a way, but apart from maybe having a drink or two, I'm there to pay attention to the band/artist. Garrison Keillor performed there once and either quit the show before it was done, or when we left, said he was never coming back, because no one was paying attention, they were eating, drinking, chatting. Can't say I blame him.
The place isn't all free shows, but apparently tix are cheap enough, or enough people have season passes, that they don't care.
Um - don't recall the last show I went to - but the next one is GWARBQ next Saturday.
Old 08-10-13, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so I guess its just one of those things that's always gonna be there. some people get up and dance, some people will just sit there and complain. im pretty surprised, as im a very mellow guy, but if theres one place where im going to get up and let loose, it's a concert. I mean, they were playing some very fast and loud music and when I turned around there were a bunch of people just sitting there, sitting with their legs crossed like they were watching a high school graduation speech. why are they even there?
Old 08-13-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Outside Lands in San Francisco this past weekend. Its a really well-run fest, with a great lineup. Top 5 highlights for me:

1. Paul McCartney (duh!)
2. Nine Inch Nails
3. The Lone Bellow
4. Matt & Kim
5. Little Green Cars

Other goodies - Gary Clarke Jr., The National, Surfer Blood, Thao & The Get Down Stay Downs, Foals
Old 08-13-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Steely Dan
Red Rocks

I guess I'm not much of Steely Dan fan, as I didn't really get much out of the show. It didn't help that it was incredibly cold and rainy, but I wasn't really into it anyway.
Old 08-17-13, 10:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My Bloody Valentine last night in Austin. This show was loud as fuck!! Not a complaint, it was great.
Old 08-17-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Haven't been to anything yet this year and at this point I'm kind of doubting I will. I really regret not seeing She & Him in June as their album, She & Him: Volume Three is probably my favorite of the year thus far. Was really hoping to see Pearl Jam this year but they're pretty much playing the coasts only which sucks.
Old 08-18-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Saw the Kansas 40th anniversary show in Pittsburgh last night. Damn, do they sound good. The first half with the orchestra was pretty much a standard set. After some acknowledgements of various people around the band, drawing seat numbers for a handful of giveaways and the premiere of a trailer for a documentary on the band, they came back out and did an awesome set of album cuts. They also brought back two of the three former original members. Sadly, Robbie Steinhardt had heart surgery yesterday, but his daughter put in an appearance on his behalf. They only played on a couple of songs, and were a little rusty, but it was a nice touch.

The show ran for a little over three hours, straight through. The cramped seats in the upper balcony of the Benedum Center (which is a stunning theater) would have made an intermission nice, but it was worth it. I freely admit I'm not the biggest Kansas fan, but last night gave me a new appreciation of them.
Old 08-18-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw Queens of the Stone Age last night @ Universal Amphitheater. One of the last shows I'll ever see at that place since it's about to get demolished.
Old 08-18-13, 10:58 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Saw the Kansas 40th anniversary show in Pittsburgh last night. Damn, do they sound good. The first half with the orchestra was pretty much a standard set. After some acknowledgements of various people around the band, drawing seat numbers for a handful of giveaways and the premiere of a trailer for a documentary on the band, they came back out and did an awesome set of album cuts. They also brought back two of the three former original members. Sadly, Robbie Steinhardt had heart surgery yesterday, but his daughter put in an appearance on his behalf. They only played on a couple of songs, and were a little rusty, but it was a nice touch.

The show ran for a little over three hours, straight through. The cramped seats in the upper balcony of the Benedum Center (which is a stunning theater) would have made an intermission nice, but it was worth it. I freely admit I'm not the biggest Kansas fan, but last night gave me a new appreciation of them.
Huge Kansas fan here, have been contemplating seeing them live, so thanks for the review!
Old 08-18-13, 03:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Queens of the Stone Age at the Gibson Amphitheater. Holy fuck what an awesome show.
Old 08-18-13, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw OMD in May. They are my second favourite band [after The Beatles] and I had a VIP ticket to meet them and had front row seats (my seat was literally right in front of the mic). I wasn't expecting much, but it blew me away. They sounded great, the show was lively and enthusiastic and Andy spoke to me and shook my hand at the beginning of my favourite song ^_^
Old 08-18-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

GWARBQ in Richmond yesterday. 3 hour drive (each way) but worth it.
Beautiful weather, not too crowded venue (although the first six feet of the pit during GWAR was awful, at least for me), very little down time between acts, two stages that were within feet of another.
Favorite acts were of course GWAR, Mobile Death Camp, Municipal Waste (how have I not heard them before?!?) and the return after 17 years of X-Cops.
My only complaints would be the beer lines were insanely long (which saved me from buying beer) and Warbeast's vocal mic was virtually inaudible.
Old 08-19-13, 08:53 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I saw OMD in May. They are my second favourite band [after The Beatles] and I had a VIP ticket to meet them and had front row seats (my seat was literally right in front of the mic). I wasn't expecting much, but it blew me away. They sounded great, the show was lively and enthusiastic and Andy spoke to me and shook my hand at the beginning of my favourite song ^_^
Good thing you got to see them before all the medical issues.
Old 08-23-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 438 Likes on 300 Posts

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals... great show!
Old 08-24-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Took my daughter to Taylor Swift last night at Staples in LA. Incredible show. Ed Sheeran was the opening act and I was blown away. He manages to keep an entire arena full of people engaged with just his voice, an acoustic guitar, and clever use of some looper pedals. Ellie Goulding was Taylor's 'special guest' last night for one song. She performed "Anything Can Happen".
Old 08-25-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Lydia Loveless
08-24-13 Chicago, IL

A South Loop street fest that was woefully underattended, but which made for a great up-close opportunity to see a band. Loveless did a lot of new material, and was forced - comically at times - to clean up her lyrics for the family-friendly event.
Old 08-25-13, 01:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYF Fest day one yesterday.

Caught Eleanor Friedberger, Roky Erickson, Charles Bradley, The Breeders, Thee Oh Sees, TV on the Radio, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The last three were especially great, although I enjoyed every act I saw.
Old 08-25-13, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 years ago, when Metallica came to town, I was a poor student & I couldn't afford the tickets to the show.

Last saturday night, I saw them for the first time during their 2nd time back in Singapore and I had an amazing time the setlist was really great: http://www.metallica.com/tour/aug-24-2013-singapore.asp

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.