Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-24, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Saw John Hiatt over the weekend, have not seen him in 5 years and won't likely see him again unless he is playing with a full band. His voice is rough and it's one of the very few shows I left early as it was hard to listen to his voice crack and missing cords on the guitar. Still an amazing songwriter but he isn't what he was in the past.
Bummer. I haven't seen him in almost 30 years, but I saw him at that really cool venue in San Juan Capistrano where they served you dinner while they played. It was a fantastic show.
Wait, actually I did see him once in a solo set at House of Blues, maybe 20 years ago. Wasn't as good, but I do love the guy. Sounds like I'm okay passing on seeing him again if he ever comes back around.

Edit : He again is skipping Vegas on this tour (but he's still playing The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano!)
Old 06-11-24, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
And I thought my band was cheap when we used a stencil and spray paint for the band name on the kick drum...
Kind of reminds me of NOFX's stage banner.

But NOFX seem to have a better sense of humor than Bach.
Old 06-18-24, 05:28 PM
Political Exile

Received 492 Likes on 325 Posts

Dave Ellefson's Megadeth cover band King of Thrash last night at the Forge in Joliet.

Old 06-25-24, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

Went to the Doobie Bros. at the Kia Forum on Sunday. Was upgraded from the nosebleeds to the floor due to closure of the upper balcony. The sounded great. Kind of like going to a Rush concert.. you're not expecting any changes or alternate versions of songs. MM sounds great. Was hoping to get Steve Winwood opening, but he's only on the east coast portion, so we got the Robert Cray band instead. I wished MM would have done some of his solo work, but I'm not bothered that he didn't.

Old 06-26-24, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

Saw Kaleo this last weekend at the Wiltern - sounded amazing.

Great to see a "newer" band, vital and at the height of their powers instead of all these fossils holding on their glory days.
Old 06-26-24, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Wow. Yeah, he looks great for 75.

Did he ever have substance abuse issues? Reason I ask is that a lot of my favorite artists from that era are still under 70, but look 90. I'm wondering if it's the booze and drugs, and if Springfield stayed clean all this time.
His vice is toy collecting, he has a collection of crazy rare Star Wars toys worth around a half million (he also collects classic cars). Better than blowing your money on booze and drugs.

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/n...tar-wars-toys/
Old 06-28-24, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

6/26/24 - Red Hot Chili Peppers (w Ice Cube) - Coastal Credit Union Music Park at Walnut Creek, Raleigh NC

The whole thing was a meh, paint by numbers affair. Never was a big fan of Cube. His performance was definitely rehearsed but the mix was super bass heavy so it drowned out the backing tracks. It’s not my first Peppers show so I expected the short set list but a third of the time was just instrumental. Kiedis just disappeared for stretches but at least Flea (especially), Frusciante and Smith powered on. It probably didn’t help that it was around a 100 degrees that day. Lucky seats were up close to the stage and the cover creates a wind tunnel.

6/27/24 - Natalie Merchant - The Riviera Theater, Charleston SC

This was just awesome. Merchant was funny, charming, energetic and sounded great. Neat venue with only 600 seats. The crowd was maximum GenXers. Benefits were that people pulling out a cell phone to record were few and far beyond and got to sit for the first half of the show. It’s a career spanning show but she starts with the more recent folk stuff before moving back through time to her popish earlier work. I was throughly impressed.
Old 06-28-24, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts

June 22, 2024

The Sun Goes Down Tour with:

Uncle Kracker he was pretty good for the limited amount of time he played
Megan Moroney-never heard of her.
Zac Brown Band-very entertaining band and would see them again.
AND
Kenny Chesney -Uncle Kracker came out and sang the Sun Goes Down song and Drift Away with Kenny that was the highlight for me.

Pretty good overall as I am not a Country Music fan (my wife is)

Zac Brown IMHO was better than Kenny. Started at 5:00 ended at 11:00 we got there at 3:30. Long day and our "event" concert is done for the year with the exception of TSO if they are in Milwaukee again this Nov-Dec.
Old 06-30-24, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Just had a busy 3 days of shows. Thursday, I was at Summerfest in Milwaukee and saw Letters to Cleo, Tracy Bonham, and Sleater Kinney. Also caught the tail end of Eve 6 there and a bunch of songs from a band called Brigette Calls Me Baby. Friday, I saw Letters to Cleo again in Chicago. Saturday, I saw Tracy Bonham again in the Chicago suburbs. I got to meet her and get 2 CDs signed.
The following 3 users liked this post by windom:
[email protected] (06-30-24), Kdogg (06-30-24), Paff (07-13-24)
Old 07-08-24, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

NKOTB - Familiar with a few songs. Performance to a backing track and no live band. They know their audience and put on quite a show.

Paula Abdul - Knew more of her songs than NKOTB. Mostly lip sync'd. Quick 1 hr show that sort of goes thru her career. Wished she would have done full song performances. More choreography oriented.

Not gonna crap on $25 tickets. Got my money's worth.
Old 07-13-24, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 409 Posts

Billy Joel. Coors Field. In the unusually warm weather. Good show. Think 3rd time I’ve seen him.

The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (07-13-24)
Old 07-18-24, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

7/17/24 - Foo Fighters (w/ The Pretenders and Mammoth WVH) - Citi Field, NYC

Only got half a Foo Fighters set because of lightning and rain. It’s a shame because they rocked. It’s the fourth iteration of the band that I’ve seen. I have yet to see the same lineup twice. Only Dave and Nate have been the constants. Really enjoyed Van Halen’s son’s band too.

Not my pic (I was in the pit) but it was being passed around while we waited on the concourse for information.

Last edited by Kdogg; 07-18-24 at 12:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kdogg:
[email protected] (07-18-24), Inhumans99 (07-19-24)
Old 07-18-24, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

7/9/2024 - Raleigh, NC

I Prevail
Halestorm
Hollywood Undead
Fit For A King
Old 07-18-24, 02:27 PM
Political Exile

Received 492 Likes on 325 Posts

Burning Witches earlier this week at the Forge in Joliet IL. They made us enter the building through the side entrance since the main street in front had huge amounts of debris from a severe storm, so it was amazing they decided to still hold the concert.

Old 07-20-24, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Saw Everclear for the second time tonight at a free festival in Vernon Hills, Illinois. Stuck around a bit after the show and got to say hi to Art Alexakis and shook his hand.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Received 759 Likes on 501 Posts

2024-07-19: Night Ranger, Fraze Pavilion, Kettering, Ohio.

I always enjoy seeing these guys, so friendly, and energetic. Fun show!

The following 2 users liked this post by The Cow:
PerryD (07-20-24), Spiderbite (07-20-24)
Old 07-22-24, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 759 Likes on 501 Posts

024-07-20: Rick Springfield and Richard Marx, Fraze Pavilion, Kettering, Ohio.

Richard Marx did an acoustic set. It didn't do much for me, but the ladies in the crowd seemed to dig him. Rick Springfield is a guilty pleasure for me. I've seen him a bunch and I like a bunch of his tunes. Good show. Crazy that he's almost 75.