Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 07:44 PM

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Hank was my first concert also, in 1983. I was in kindergarten. Went with my grandparents and mom , dad.

His shows back then were wild. Just a giant coke party on stage. I don’t remember who the lady was who opened, (cant find any info online) she came out clothes and hair a mess, everyone around us was laughing and said Hank was probably plowing her before show. Grandpa and me went to souvenir stand while she was on, got me a hank pin and giant mug with the cover of Strong Stuff with him and the mountain lion.

Bellamy brothers were next, they were pretty good and did their hits plus song i didnt know at the time.

Then it was time for Hank, waited, waited. He was 20-30 mins late. Everyone pissed, comments of hes probably fucking that girl again. (My mother and grandma bitched about it for years) Band came out, started playing some music, crowd getting antsy. He finally comes out, staggering, shirt half untucked, not all buttons buttoned. He mumbles something. Now people were really pissed, hes drunk/high. Hes there standing mumbling still, and laughing to himself. Crew brought out his Strat, strapped it on, and it was showtime. You would have never known anything was up, if you walked in at that moment. Him playing multiple instruments, jumping off stuff, rolling around. Then his shirt came off and it was party time, he was playing the drums, and every drunk hick from backstage filling up the stage dancing like crazy, crowd going nuts, flashing every direction. It was awesome!

I was 5 and loved every second of it.

The following users liked this post:
darkdaze73 (05-19-24)
Old 05-19-24, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Nuggets 50th Anniversary show (psychedelic/garage album collection). Led by Lenny Kaye, it also featured members of REM, The Cars, Mission of Burma, Buffalo Tom, Wille Alexander, Ted Leo, Barrence Whitfield, Will Dailey, Josh Kantor, Mike Verge and so many more. It was a blast!

Old 05-23-24, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 182 Posts

Madness. They call it Madness! First time to see them.

story (06-10-24)
Old 05-23-24, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Caught opening night of Dead and Company at the sphere last night. I had high expectations going in and they were easily exceeded. I’m not a deadhead at all, only knew 3 of the songs they played in the nearly four hours and 2 of those were non Dead songs, but it didn’t matter.

I can’t recommend seeing a show here enough.
Originally Posted by Decker
Some tickets are really cheap on the secondary market (at least they were yesterday). I might take my daughter next week.
Alright, I'm trusting you on this, Nesbit. Section 210 for $134 each + fees s incredibly cheap for unobstructed 200 level seats.

Nesbit (05-23-24)
Old 05-23-24, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

Enjoy!! Was one of the times of my life and I’ll be back as soon as I can! Looking forward to hearing what you think. Will forever be jealous if they play Ripple, the only Dead song I truly love.
Decker (05-24-24)
Old 05-26-24, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 768 Posts

Some recents:

Electric Six and The Supersuckers

Show was sold out, but I greased the doorman a 20 to put me on the guest list. Since it was a $25 show, I came out ahead. I had to give the cash to the guy's wife, a bartender, and when she poured me a drink and I prepared to pay, she said "don't worry about it". So a free drink to boot!

Cloud Nothings

Also sold out, this time I took a more legitimate plan, I put myself on the venue's "Waiting List", and the morning of the show I was able to buy a ticket.

And finally, Stiff Little Fingers

Now this was fun. I'm pushing 60, and I found myself in the mosh pit like when I first saw this band in my 20s. Great show all around, and they're going to be scaling back on the touring. As in, they may play festivals in the future, but doing a city-to-city tour with shows nearly every night, that won't be happening anymore. The tour just kicked off, so if you can make a show, by all means do it.
[email protected] (05-27-24)
Old 05-27-24, 09:37 PM

Well Nesbit was right on here. The Dead & Co. show at the Sphere was really remarkable. I only knew 4 songs performed (2 Dead, 2 covers), but enjoyed almost all of it. The Sphere sound system is incredible, and just listing to John Mayer jamming on electric guitar is amazing. And the visuals were unbelievable. What an amazing experience the Sphere provides.

Nesbit (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Billy Joel in Seattle. Upper level in T-Mobile but was still able to see well. Not usually one for stadium concerts but he made it feel smaller by talking to the crowd a lot.
Old 05-28-24, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well Nesbit was right on here. The Dead & Co. show at the Sphere was really remarkable. I only knew 4 songs performed (2 Dead, 2 covers), but enjoyed almost all of it. The Sphere sound system is incredible, and just listing to John Mayer jamming on electric guitar is amazing. And the visuals were unbelievable. What an amazing experience the Sphere provides.

Glad you enjoyed it! We didn’t have that middle visual at the show I went to. Looks very cool. I really like how they storybook it going out to and coming back from space. Hope more acts do stuff like that in the future.

I only knew the same amount of songs as you did, 2 dead and 2 non dead. Been following someone that posts the set lists every night while i work and saw they played All Along the Watchtower Subday. That’s awesome! Definitley would take that over Knockin on Heavens Door which was the big non dead cover at my show.
Old 05-28-24, 02:58 PM

. I love Watchtower so much. And Mayer just killed the guitar solo.

They really put together an impressive visual spectacle. And the Dead aren't even known as a visual act. Can you imagine what, say, Peter Gabriel or Roger Waters could do with this venue?
Old 05-28-24, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It’ll be a shame if Roger Waters never gets to do something there. Really only familiar with Gabriel’s biggest hits but Id check out anyone I didn’t dislike in any way so I’d go see it.

The only rumor I’ve heard for the next act to play there is The Eagles. It was from a totally unknown source and they also said that Dead and Co is going to extend their residency into August which I feel is unlikely because tickets have been discounted quite a bit since they extended their stay the first time but I don’t really know the economics for the band or the venue on that so who knows …. I’d skip The Eagles myself as I’ve always had a distaste for them (feels like old people rock no matter how old i am) but would be happy for their fans to get to see them there. Hope any and all acts that can fill the venue get to play it.

Im looking forward to seeing how it’s used for non musical events. The NHL draft and an upcoming ufc event are planned for the next few months.

Were you uncomfortable at any point due to the steepness of the seating? I was a level up from where you were and a tiny bit to the left based on the pictures. It bothered me before the show started but I was fine pretty much right when the show began.
Old 05-28-24, 04:18 PM

Were you uncomfortable at any point due to the steepness of the seating? I was a level up from where you were and a tiny bit to the left based on the pictures. It bothered me before the show started but I was fine pretty much right when the show began.
I was literally in an entry level seat. The tunnel into the 200-level seats starts at the top, and that's where my seats were.
I did have seats in the 400s for the movie thing they do daily (don't bother going, it's overpriced and not very good). Those seats were really steep. My friend who went with us had bad vertigo in the venue and clung to the back of my chair for dear life the entire time.

I've heard rumors about both Eagles and some country band (Zac Brown Band), but no official word on either.

Did you get any Dead & Co merch? Because, damn they were killing it with the merch. My daughter bought the blue tie-died shirt and I went and bought two T-shirts
This one was amazing and I had to get.

I also got this blue shirt you can see both sides of here. Having the show dates as numbers for Roulette betting is an inspired choice.

Old 05-28-24, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

It’ll be a shame if Roger Waters never gets to do something there. Really only familiar with Gabriel’s biggest hits but Id check out anyone I didn’t dislike in any way so I’d go see it.

The only rumor I’ve heard for the next act to play there is The Eagles. It was from a totally unknown source and they also said that Dead and Co is going to extend their residency into August which I feel is unlikely because tickets have been discounted quite a bit since they extended their stay the first time but I don’t really know the economics for the band or the venue on that so who knows …. I’d skip The Eagles myself as I’ve always had a distaste for them (feels like old people rock no matter how old i am) but would be happy for their fans to get to see them there. Hope any and all acts that can fill the venue get to play it.
Yeah I don't see that happening ever.

Dead and Co extended with six more dates until Aug 10.
Old 05-28-24, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you get any Dead & Co merch? Because, damn they were killing it with the merch. My daughter bought the blue tie-died shirt and I went and bought two T-shirts
This one was amazing and I had to get.

I also got this blue shirt you can see both sides of here. Having the show dates as numbers for Roulette betting is an inspired choice.
Those are cool! I didn’t get any shirts but did pick up a trucker style hat with their logo on it at the Venetian at the gallery they’ve set up on the history of the Dead. If you happen to be by there it’s worth a visit just to see one of the drummers from the band, Mikey Hart’s art. They have a few rooms dedicated to it and some of it is amazing. Don’t know what the technique is called but it’s very splatter based.

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Yeah I don't see that happening ever.

Dead and Co extended with six more dates until Aug 10.
My friend I went with lives in Brooklyn and is familiar with MSG ownership and he said the same thing about Waters. Shame all the same.
Old 05-31-24, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Local Seattle band, La Luz last night for their latest record release. Had been meaning to see them for years but schedule never aligned. Finally able to do so and they were great.

Old 06-03-24, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Saw the Damned in Chicago last night. Same lineup they had back when I saw them in England in 1980. Great show as always.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phodg:
cultshock (06-08-24), Nesbit (06-03-24)
Old 06-04-24, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Could you imagine a Pink Floyd show at the Sphere! Glorious.
Old 06-08-24, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

06/7/24 - The Rolling Stones - Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta GA.

Those guys still bring it. Looked like Mick was fighting a cold because he was hydrating and going through Kleenex like they were going out of style. I think because of that we got a rare three song set of Keith (singing) and Ronnie. Very cool show and meet some absolutely great fans.

[email protected] (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 10:43 AM
Political Exile

Received 492 Likes on 325 Posts

Can't top Rolling Stones, but I caught Sebastian Bach of Skid Row last night at the Forge in Joliet IL

miller_time22 (06-09-24)
Old 06-08-24, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VHS?
Could you imagine a Pink Floyd show at the Sphere! Glorious.
I wonder if they ever do shows based off prerecorded material for bands like The Beatles or Pink Floyd. It wouldn’t have quite the same draw as a live performance but feel like they could still pack them in. I know I’d go to a sphere show celebrating the music of either of those and many more.
Old 06-09-24, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Values in Pomona, CA yesterday. Got to check a few off the list I haven't seen (Bad Religion, Suicidal Tendencies) and some I haven't seen in years (Dead Milkmen) four stages with too many bands and impossible to see them all but was worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by rexinnih:
[email protected] (06-10-24), cultshock (06-10-24)
Old 06-09-24, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sebastian Bach ^

And I thought my band was cheap when we used a stencil and spray paint for the band name on the kick drum...

(sorry, I have zero respect for that guy. I saw him 20 years ago in the title role in a nationally touring presentation of Jesus Christ Superstar, he was shit, and a total shit too. At one point, angrily throwing down the microphone causing a loud pop through the sound system. What would Jesus do? Not that.)
Old 06-10-24, 07:10 AM
Political Exile

Received 492 Likes on 325 Posts

Rick Springfield last night at the Metro in Chicago. Looked and sounded great, crazy that he'll be 75 in August

Old 06-10-24, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Yeah, he looks great for 75.

Did he ever have substance abuse issues? Reason I ask is that a lot of my favorite artists from that era are still under 70, but look 90. I'm wondering if it's the booze and drugs, and if Springfield stayed clean all this time.
Old 06-10-24, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 426 Likes on 301 Posts

Saw John Hiatt over the weekend, have not seen him in 5 years and won't likely see him again unless he is playing with a full band. His voice is rough and it's one of the very few shows I left early as it was hard to listen to his voice crack and missing cords on the guitar. Still an amazing songwriter but he isn't what he was in the past.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.