Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lady Gaga & Beyonce's "Telephone" Video 2.0

Old 03-12-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lady Gaga & Beyonce's "Telephone" Video 2.0

Lady Gaga's new Thrilleresque video. It's got lesbian makeout, near nudity, mass poisoning, a Pussywagon and a Thelma & Louise theme going on. Always intriguing.

http://www.billboard.com/#/column/la...04074780.story

Lady Gaga And Beyonce's 'Telephone' Video Premieres

Lady Gaga and Beyoncé unveiled the video for their "Telephone" collaboration on Thursday night (Mar. 11), and it more than measures up to the hype. Directed by Gaga's "Paparazzi" video helmer Jonas Akerlund, the "Telephone" clip is chock full of intrigue, prison fights, makeout scenes, mass poisoning and plenty of skin-baring versions of what you might call "outfits" (if strategically placed caution tape counts as such).

Even Beyoncé gets in on the high-concept fun, rocking black lipstick, driving a flaming "Pussy Wagon" (on loan from "Kill Bill" director Quentin Tarantino) and locking hands with Gaga at the end for a "Thelma & Louise" inspired finale. They don't sacrifice themselves like the superwomen in the movie do, though...instead, a "To Be Continued..." title pops up on the screen, which means this may not be the last we've seen of these two divas sharing the same screen yet
Note: Ignore the 2.0 in the title. I thought Gaga and Be were remaking the original video/song for "Video Phone."

Last edited by big whoppa; 03-13-10 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-12-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Lady Gaga & Beyonce's "Telephone" Video 2.0

Cool
Old 03-13-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

"I told you she didn't have a dick."
Old 03-13-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cool video, hate the music and Lady Gaga is ugly as sin.
Old 03-13-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Old 03-13-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fleeing the scene of the crime in a pussy wagon..

I loved the video, I cant stop playing it. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-13-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for posting. Wifey loves her some Gaga.
Old 03-13-10, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Love the Video, Love the song, Love the Campy Style, Loves me some GaGa, and Love Beyonce.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-13-10 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd totally dry-hump Gaga.
Old 03-13-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What the hell does this have to do with a chick not wanting to answer her phone at the club? Isn't that what the song is about?
Old 03-13-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Give me a break. This is a Marilyn Manson-esque attempt at using shock to get more attention. Wish this footnote of a pop star would go away already.
Old 03-13-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This video is inspired. I loved the campy feel to it and the over-the-top shtick. Glad to see Beyoncé getting in on it too and having some fun. Definitely a worthy video for a fantastic collaboration.

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
What the hell does this have to do with a chick not wanting to answer her phone at the club? Isn't that what the song is about?
I can't tell if this is a serious question or not. There have been plenty of videos that have absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter of the song; this is a perfect example.

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff View Post
Give me a break. This is a Marilyn Manson-esque attempt at using shock to get more attention. Wish this footnote of a pop star would go away already.
I hate when people come into a thread with the sole intention of saying something bad. I think Lady Gaga has proven herself to be something more than a "footnote of a pop star" and just because you and others don't like her doesn't make her art or entertainment any less valid.

As far as using shock to get attention, that is part of the Gaga "package." Pushing the envelope, being taboo, and taking chances. It isn't to get attention, per se, it is part of her artistry. Not to mention you have two of the biggest names in pop right now...they don't need to do something exploitative or shocking to stay in the limelight, both are very popular and talented, with or without this music video.
Old 03-13-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i actually hope she does an apitheater tour this summer
Old 03-13-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff View Post
Thumbs motherfucking down.

The better question I have to ask, when was the last time the public was genuinely excited over a music video? Even if you hate her music, you have to admit she knows what she's doing to get people's wanting to see a music video. When was the last time that happened? Nearly a decade ago, if not longer.

I like the video, but I'm biased as I'm a GaGa fan. My girlfriend won front row seats to her concert here in Vegas back in December and let me tell you something else, it was an experience. From the videos that play during the "costume changes" to the set pieces themselves, it had to be the most creative concert I've seen in my life. Out of all the concerts I saw in 2009, it ranked as the best (with Cafe Tacuba's 20th anniversary tour ranking a close second).
Old 03-13-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LOL that video was great!

Thanks for posting!
Old 03-13-10, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
I hate when people come into a thread with the sole intention of saying something bad.
LOL What better place to express your opinion about something specific than a forum thread even if it's bad? They have a right to their opinion. The fact that people seem to be so divisive over her just means she's doing something right.

I think she's awesome, the video was totally entertaining and the still smoking cigarette glasses are classic. Love love love her.

Last edited by celmendo; 03-13-10 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i love the fact that she's proven to be a bona-fide pop star. don't like the pop? fine.

i do, and i love being entertained. lady gaga does both for me.
Old 03-13-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Love the Video, Love the song, Love the Campy Style, loves me some GaGa, and Love Beyonce.
yes!

my thoughts too. Love the song, like the video and execution, but the two don't work together.
Old 03-13-10, 02:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

liked it a lot. very fun.
Old 03-13-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by celmendo View Post

I think she's awesome, the video was totally entertaining and the still smoking cigarette glasses are classic. Love love love her.
Those glasses are so silly. It took me a second viewing of the video to figure out that's what they were. I did notice the coke can rollers.

Last edited by big whoppa; 03-13-10 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry I must be missing the "artistry" behind all of the product placement. Let me watch this video again. Nope, still terrible.

This chick is manufactured to her core and her songs are derivative as hell. There are better musicians out there in pop music who don't have to reduce themselves to corporate sponsorship or shallow spectacle to get attention.

And with that I'm out. No sense wasting time trying to get you all un-drink the Gaga kool-aid.
Old 03-13-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
my thoughts too. Love the song, like the video and execution, but the two don't work together.
Yeah but Music Videos that conceptually have nothing to do with the song are nothing new. They don't always have to be "on the nose" to promote the song do they?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-13-10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
Those glasses are so silly. It took me a second viewing of the video to figure out that's what they were. I did notice the coke can rollers.
They are; and once I figured them out and saw the smoke, I had a "GaGa style!" type reaction. I had a similar reaction when I saw the Can Rollers in her hair.
Old 03-13-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is more a sequel to her video, Paparazzi...where she killed her lover. For that reason, it makes more sense.

Old 03-13-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Her music isn't my thing (except for "Poker Face, which I find to be oddly catchy) but I like her style. At least she's doing something drastically different from everyone else. I also think it's cool that she's making creative music videos at a time when most artists don't really try all that hard, if at all.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.