Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Old 05-30-24, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 769 Posts
Re: Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

What does bricking the units do for them? That's super shitty.
Old 05-30-24, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts

Yeah, that thing costed $200 and came out just a couple of years ago. Seems like a shitty thing to do because they don't want to keep their servers up. At least giving folks who bought it a year of Spotify Premium as compensation seems reasonable.
Old 05-30-24, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,677 Posts

I love Spotify as well but this is indeed shitty. I'm glad that I hadn't even heard of this device, there's a chance that I might have gotten one and then have this happen.
Old 05-30-24, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

Offering refunds now

https://www.engadget.com/spotify-now...193001487.html
Old 06-04-24, 11:54 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Is this why i got an email, about prices going up.
Old 06-04-24, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
What does bricking the units do for them? That's super shitty.

Sounds like it was just for Data Collection on American Users. They got what they wanted and are done with the project.
Old 06-04-24, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Sounds like it was just for Data Collection on American Users. They got what they wanted and are done with the project.
Yep, "we lost our budget for data mining so we're pulling the plug."
Old 06-18-24, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts

Damn, Spotify Premium is jumping from $16.99 to $19.99 / mo starting next month. That's a pretty huge increase. I don't love that. I prefer Tidal for Streaming music anyway since their audio quality is way better in the Tesla.
Old 06-18-24, 08:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 890 Posts

Thatís the family plan, yeah?
My individual plan is going up to $11.99.
Iím still getting Hulu for free with my sub, but itís getting to the point where Iím considering dropping it entirely.
Old 06-18-24, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

It is a big jump, but I still get a ton of value out of Spotify, especially now that they carry so many audiobooks and podcasts.

I was telling my son about how when I was his age and younger, I would buy an entire album/cassette/CD completely blind for $10 to $15 because I liked just one or two songs I heard on the radio. Then I tried to describe to him the sheet anger and anguish when the rest of the album sucked. He has zero clue how lucky he is that he can not only immediately stream almost every album in existence but also immediately stream every future release on release day.

For $20 bucks a month (between my wife, my son and me, it is $6.67 a person), it really is the value of the century. I always shake my head when I read people who bitch about it. Most have no clue what they are getting for that piddly amount in comparison to just 20+ years ago.

And just think...in 1990 a $10 cassette would be $24 today. A $15 dollar CD would be $35.99! Yikes!
Old 06-20-24, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 190 Posts

Except CDs are still $13-15 today. They literally stayed the same for 30 years.
Old 06-20-24, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
It is a big jump, but I still get a ton of value out of Spotify, especially now that they carry so many audiobooks and podcasts.

I was telling my son about how when I was his age and younger, I would buy an entire album/cassette/CD completely blind for $10 to $15 because I liked just one or two songs I heard on the radio. Then I tried to describe to him the sheet anger and anguish when the rest of the album sucked. He has zero clue how lucky he is that he can not only immediately stream almost every album in existence but also immediately stream every future release on release day.

For $20 bucks a month (between my wife, my son and me, it is $6.67 a person), it really is the value of the century. I always shake my head when I read people who bitch about it. Most have no clue what they are getting for that piddly amount in comparison to just 20+ years ago.

And just think...in 1990 a $10 cassette would be $24 today. A $15 dollar CD would be $35.99! Yikes!
Agreed. Back in the 80s I would have jumped at the chance for paying around twenty bucks a month for being able to listen to almost anything I wanted, rather than spending $15-20 CDN for metal albums that I bought soley based on magazine reviews (the stuff I was listening to was never played on the radio, and this includes bands like Metallica back then, so I hadn't even heard a single song before buying those albums). Lots of money wasted on duds, I would happily have paid even $50 a month for something like Spotify, instead of blind buying an album or two a week, and that's in 1980s dollars.
Old 06-20-24, 03:47 PM
Political Exile

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Vinyl used to be $10, and now run $30 to $40. I like that Blu-ray audio is starting to take off, hopefully it'll do better than DVD Audio and Super Audio did. The new Nightwish album is being released in blu-ray audio as an option, first time I've seen that on a new release. Bugged me that metal bands were focused on getting cassettes as a day and date release options along with CD and Vinyl, but not looking at high resolution formats.
Old 06-20-24, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Umm...yeah. But that is not my point.

My point is that we were paying the equivalent of 36 bucks on a single blind buy CD 30 years ago. Now people bitch about having to pay 20 bucks a month and have every shred of music at their fingertips.

I just wish the movie/TV streaming platform was like music platforms. One streaming service and you have access to everything. You just pick your service. Streaming music nowadays is the biggest bang for everyone's buck.