Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,134 Likes on 692 Posts
Re: Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Plays for me fine (premium user in case you are wondering). Actually have heard this song before and was very surprised by that.
Old 08-27-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Plays for me fine (premium user in case you are wondering). Actually have heard this song before and was very surprised by that.
By the song? Yeah, I heard a reference to it recently, and I wanted to check it out. The edited version plays fine; it's the explicit that won't play. With small kids and a work environment, maybe it's good that it won't play!
Old 08-27-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Playing fine for me as well.
Old 08-27-11, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just laughing that I listen to almost everything but hip-hop or rap. So i was very surprised when I knew the tune and had heard the song. I have no idea where I have heard it from. Was it popular when it was released?

Did you ever get it to work?

Last edited by Spiderbite; 08-28-11 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-27-11, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I was just laughing that I listen to almost everything but hip-hop or rap. So i was very surprised when I new the tune and had heard the song. I have no idea where I have heard it from. Was it popular when it was released.
It wasn't a huge hit, but it definitely got some radio play. It peaked at #20 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Old 08-27-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was just laughing that I listen to almost everything but hip-hop or rap. So i was very surprised when I new the tune and had heard the song. I have no idea where I have heard it from. Was it popular when it was released.

Did you ever get it to work?
I did, but only after uninstalling and reinstalling. I'm playing it now, so hopefully it'll stay just fine now. I love the service, but these early bugs are kind of annoying. I'm sure it will get worked out, though.
Old 08-29-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

in case anyone was wondering, i got spotify to work following these instructions:

http://gdgt.com/question/want-to-ins...-touchpad-frs/
Old 09-12-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For some reason, on my Pixi, the Spotify mobile keeps saying i'm offline. when doing a search, it will say it. On songs grayed out, it says" Streaming requires an active connection. I have tried to open web pages on my phone, it works fine.

I did check the preferences to make sure that forced offline is off. is there some fix for this?
Old 09-12-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
For some reason, on my Pixi, the Spotify mobile keeps saying i'm offline. when doing a search, it will say it. On songs grayed out, it says" Streaming requires an active connection. I have tried to open web pages on my phone, it works fine.

I did check the preferences to make sure that forced offline is off. is there some fix for this?
That's happened to me a couple of times and after rebooting my computer, it fixed it.
Old 09-13-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone notice music vanishing? looks like some metallica stuff is not there anymore. and the black album is missing as well even though almost everything else is there
Old 09-13-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
anyone notice music vanishing? looks like some metallica stuff is not there anymore. and the black album is missing as well even though almost everything else is there
This is exactly why I don't see programs like this and Netflix streaming taking over owning digital and or hard media content. With streaming for music and movies it appears that it can be there one day and just gone the next.
Old 09-13-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's happened to me a couple of times and after rebooting my computer, it fixed it.
something weird, it kicked me out of all of my devices,now resynced and seems to be okay. Kinda a pain though.
Old 09-18-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so far i've only see AC/DC and Def Leppard from the stuff that i really want to listen to but isn't on there. some def leppard is on spotify.

still it's a lot better than netflix. seems almost every time i want something on netflix it's not there. spotify is about a 95% hit rate
Old 09-26-11, 11:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,198 Likes on 847 Posts

I'm not sure how long it has been there, but there is now the "Radio" feature for USA Spotify users. You can pick by genre and it'll play random songs. About time this showed up for Americans. It seems they've added a bunch more genres that were not previously available to Europeans.
Old 09-27-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I saw an article stating Spotify will start forcing users to have Facebook accounts in order to log in. If that's true then I'm done. I've never had a Facebook account. Also, I don't look fondly on them forcing this on users. If it was a multitude of options (Facebook, Google, Yahoo, etc.) like I see on some sites then I would think it as better.
Old 09-27-11, 08:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ It seems that new users who signed up within the last couple days are saying that Spotify is forcing them to link their account to Facebook. Anyone with an existing account doesn't have to do it.

That said, this is a majorly short-sighted move on Spotify's part, if true. I don't think anyone is happy about it, other than the people at Facebook who pushed for this to happen. Even Spotify's CEO said, on twitter, that they're experimenting with a lot of new ideas and they expect to make mistakes once in awhile. This Facebook thing... is a huge mistake.

I'd like to think they know that.
Old 09-27-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts

The facebook thing is such a terrible idea. I've suggested Spotify to quite a few people, many without facebook pages. I can guarantee that they won't get facebook simply to have access to Spotify.
Old 09-29-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

After Backlash, Spotify Adds Facebook 'Private Listening' Mode
Sara Yin By Sara Yin
September 29, 2011 11:10am EST

In the wake of the Facebook-Spotify tie-up, have you found yourself censoring what songs you listen to on Spotify so your Facebook friends can't see?

Now you can finally embrace your inner Selena Gomez. Spotify has added a "private listening" mode to counter complaints about the automatic sharing of playlists on Facebook.

"We're rolling out a new client as we speak where you can temporarily hide your guilty pleasures. It works like a browsers private mode," tweeted Daniel Ek, CEO and founder of Spotify (pictured left with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg).

"We call it 'private listening' and you can find it in the Spotify/File menu and toggle it on/off," he added.

To enable the feature, you'll need to upgrade your desktop client to the latest version of Spotify. Then click on Spotify/File on the menu bar and select "Private Listening." Spotify will stop sharing what you listen to until you turn it off or until the next time you log on, a spokeswoman from Spotify explained.

"Many of our users have told us that they like to share what they're listening to, but also want an easy way to hide their occasional guilty pleasures," the spokewoman said.

Last week, Spotify received lots of user backlash when it announced a partnership with Facebook, which forced new users to sign on through Facebook. In return, Spotify users could share their playlists in their Facebook news feeds; other music services like Rdio, Slacker, and iheartradio struck similar deals. It wasn't all bad news for Spotify, which has reportedly been adding 250,000 new users each day.

Launched in the U.S. in July, Spotify offers a free, ad-supported version as well as two paid options. For $4.99 a month, you can listen to the same content you get on the free version, sans ads. If you pay $10 a month, you can access all of Spotify's music, listen to songs offline, and stream tracks on Spotify's iPhone and Android apps.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...id=ZEAijOOt4sb

I'm glad that they added this option. I really didn't want to share what I'm listening to on Facebook. Not that I'm ashamed of my music or anything, I just don't like cluttering up my feed with such updates.
Old 10-06-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't bother with this in China since I wanted to listen to music at work. To make it seem like I was in the US, I'd have to VPN in. This would make downloads pretty slow, and disconnect me from the server at work. So it just didn't make sense.

Finally tried it this week and I really, really like it. Paid for the premium subscription within the day.
Old 10-06-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Didn't bother with this in China since I wanted to listen to music at work. To make it seem like I was in the US, I'd have to VPN in. This would make downloads pretty slow, and disconnect me from the server at work. So it just didn't make sense.

Finally tried it this week and I really, really like it. Paid for the premium subscription within the day.
I messed the memo, you're not in china anymore?
Old 04-19-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,030 Likes on 816 Posts

I don't know if this is new or what, but they finally have a working Web Player for their service:

https://play.spotify.com/
Old 04-19-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't know if this is new or what, but they finally have a working Web Player for their service:

https://play.spotify.com/
I imagine it can't be any worse than their app for OS X, which locks up on me frequently. Thanks for sharing that!
Old 07-15-13, 06:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Thom Yorke pulls albums from Spotify

Originally Posted by bbc_news
Radiohead lead singer Thom Yorke has pulled some albums from music-streaming service Spotify in protest at how much it pays artists.

Yorke has pulled his solo album The Eraser as well as a joint project with producer Nigel Godrich, Atoms for Peace.

The singer tweeted that they were "standing up for our fellow musicians" by removing their albums.

Radiohead's albums are still available on the site.

Yorke tweeted: "Make no mistake new artists you discover on #Spotify will no[t] get paid. Meanwhile shareholders will shortly being rolling in it. Simples."

Spotify is the world's most popular music streaming service. Recent figures from the company say it has 24 million active users, of whom six million pay a monthly fee for added features.

It says that it has paid $500m (£332m) to rights holders since it was launched in Sweden in 2008.

Yorke has also removed his music from rival streaming site Rdio.

"It's an equation that just doesn't work," Godrich said on Twitter. "The music industry is being taken over by the back door... and if we don't try and make it fair for new music producers and artists... then the art will suffer.

"Make no mistake. These are all the same old industry bods trying to get a stranglehold on the delivery system."

Godrich, who has produced on every Radiohead album since OK Computer, added: "Plus people are scared to speak up or not take part as they are told they will lose invaluable exposure if they don't play ball. Meanwhile."

British electronica artist Four Tet replied with his support: "Exactly. I had everything on my label taken off. Don't want to be part of this crap."

There has been much controversy over how much streaming sites like Spotify and Pandora pay artists, which comes as Pandora is pushing to change US laws to lower how much it must pay in royalties to songwriters.

The band Pink Floyd recently published an editorial on the issue.

"Nearly 90% of the artists who get a cheque for digital play receive less than $5,000 a year.

"They cannot afford the 85% pay cut Pandora asked Congress to impose on the music community," Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason added.

Subscription services are the fastest growing area in digital music, making up 13% of worldwide sales. But 57% of global recorded music sales still come from physical products such as CDs, down from 74% in 2008.

As well as Spotify, Rdio and Pandora, services like Xbox Music, Google Play Music All Access and the soon-to-launch iTunes Radio compete for streaming listeners.
I certainly think that, with the reduced delivery costs, the originators of artistic material be it music, literary or whatever, should be getting at least as much as they did under the more traditional formats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23313445
Old 07-18-13, 09:54 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Thom Yorke pulls albums from Spotify

Originally Posted by benedict
I certainly think that, with the reduced delivery costs, the originators of artistic material be it music, literary or whatever, should be getting at least as much as they did under the more traditional formats.
But they DO. Spotify pays 70% directly to rights-holders.
http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/...confusion.html
Of the $10 that I spend monthly for Spotify, $6 goes to the owner of the recordings, $1 goes to the owner of the publishing copyright, and Spotify keeps $3. That is exactly the same proportion by which revenues are shared in the iTunes model, and that 70% which is shared by the owners of the recording and publishing copyrights is a higher percentage than they share for goods sold at physical music retailers.
The problem is that the payments are minuscule "per listen" and are spread out over the life of a song as opposed to the one-time $0.99 fee upfront. So if Spotify has 1 million subscribers today, then they earn $10,000,000 a month; $7,000,000 goes to rights-holders, divvied by # of plays in that month. Seems fair, right? If Spotify gains mass appeal and suddenly has 200,000,000 paying subscribers, then that's $1.4 billion going to rights-holders, still divvied by # of plays in that month.
The other problem is that, for most bands, they have a shitty deal with their label that doesn't give them a very good streaming royalty. So they don't get as much of a cut as they probably deserve. That's why artists need to work together and negotiate better streaming royalties from their labels.

Thom Yorke can complain all he wants; he has the right. But while pulling all his music from Spotify, you can still listen to ALL of those songs freely on YouTube and you can listen to or download them on Grooveshark; both of which are "unauthorized" copies, and therefore generate $0 in revenue for him and his bandmates in Atoms for Peace or his solo stuff.

The latest Lefsetz Letter basically says the same thing:
http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.p.../17/spotify-4/

Yes, we want everyone in America to have a streaming music subscription. We want to grow the pot. But Yorke and Godrich would rather stand on ceremony and deny the future to their detriment.
Most people to this day don’t know how Spotify works. We’ve got to get them to check it out.
have you been at a dinner party, in a restaurant, talking about a track and…
The Spotify subscriber pulls it up instantly on his or her phone. The rest of the patrons are wowed. You’ve got to pay to do this on the go. We’ve got to incentivize people to pay.
As for iTunes Radio, artists don’t want that. Are you kidding me? You want people to be able to play your music ad infinitum. iTunes Radio is a RADIO service, just like it says. Do you like sitting in your car waiting for another spin of your favorite… OF COURSE NOT! But if Yorke and Godrich and their ilk put a dent in Spotify that’s what you’ll get.
And to me, the most important bit:
So all you artists [...]. Use your power to get your minions to sign on. THEN YOU’LL MAKE MORE MONEY!
I pay for Spotify, but I'd gladly switch to any other service (considering Xbox Music right now, as it's much better on my phone...)
Old 07-18-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Our debut release is on Spotify. I know we're seeing basically shit from it, but I'd rather have it there for exposure reasons. Our release is self-released and financed. We spent a lot of money on the release from production to mastering to artwork, so hopefully if someone likes it enough they will buy the better digital download or the CD. I agree with Dan that by pulling our stuff, we basically just encourage people to get it somewhere where we get nothing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.