Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Lily Allen

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: New Lily Allen

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The Fear is a fantastic song. Gets better with each listen.

Agreed. It's a pop gem. Three weeks straight at #1 in the U.K. That's pretty damn good.
Old 02-17-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll have to give the album a few more listens to make a more informed judgment, but to borrow a line from Monty Python, I like "Chinese." A lot.
Old 02-18-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just in. Lily's new album debuts on Billboard's album chart at #5. Her last album came in at #20. Well done Lily!!!
Old 02-18-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, i didn't know she was that popular.
Old 02-18-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's Lily on Ellen today. Great performance. She's really cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPqSGVgplGE
Old 02-19-09, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Indeed she is. I missed the naughty words in that song, though.
Old 02-19-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Indeed she is. I missed the naughty words in that song, though.
That's got me thinking -- maybe she could do a radio friendly version of Fuck You using the word "frak" instead.
Old 02-26-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally picked this up and I love it... Can't stop listening to The Fear. My wife is getting tired of hearing it and she loves Allen.
Old 02-28-09, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C-Mart
are there other artists (British or otherwise) that are similar to her that I may not have heard of yet?
get kate nash's made of bricks album if you haven't heard it yet.
Old 03-25-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Among my fave albums of the year...the first two catchy singles deserve radio airplay, but my Top40 locals have turned into Nickelback-sh!t stations.

Second single: "Not Fair"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fUYaosyR4bE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fUYaosyR4bE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Old 03-25-09, 01:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, she looks good in that video. Can't wait to see her in April.
Old 04-03-09, 01:59 AM
Banned by request

Saw her at the House of Blues in San Diego last night. Great fucking show! Lily was in top form and cute as a button. She had some good banter with the audience, introducing songs in some hilarious ways. For example, she introduced "Not Okay" as being a song for her ladies, about how "You meet a nice guy, and he's so sweet and so cute, and then you get him into bed and he's just SHIT!" She then paused, looked behind her and said, "I don't think my band likes playing this one. Look at their faces, they're not happy! I need an all-girl band for this song. Just to play this one song."

I got chatty with a few cute girls before the show, so we were all dancing together, which certainly was a bonus. She switched outfits for the encore, wearing a dress that kept riding up so she was continually pulling it down. A few times she just went with it and flashed us her ass or panties. It was a great show and I'm glad I saw it in San Diego instead of at the Wiltern, because the venue was much smaller and intimate. It was totally sold out, by the way, and there was a wider range of people there than I expected. It was about 1:1 on the gender ratio, and plenty of people in their 30's and 40's. If she comes back through LA I will definitely see her again. My only complaint was that the set was too short. She only played for about an hour and fifteen minutes.

The opener, Natalie Portman's Shaved Head, weren't bad. They had a retro 80's dance vibe going on. Unfortunately, the band member's parents showed up, pushed their way to the front, and began acting like asses, dancing around in such a fashion that they threatened to hit people in the face without even realizing it. Whenever we tried to tell them to calm down a bit, they got aggressive and angry. Really obnoxious behavior. Surprisingly, once Lily came on, the audience was really considerate. I didn't see anyone jockeying for positions or pushing their way to the front. Quite a surprise, really.

Anyway, if you get the chance to see Lily live, do it!

Edit: Probably the best part was "Fuck You," which Lily introduced by saying "This could turn out to be a moment..." During the chorus she flipped us all off and we flipped her off right back. It was good fun. She was constantly engaging the audience and encouraging them to dance or raise their hands.

Last edited by Supermallet; 04-03-09 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm seeing her 2 weeks from today, can't wait.
Old 04-03-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I'm hitting up the concert in Atlanta on the 15th. (The show had long since sold out, but if you're willing to pay...um, 320% face value, you can do what I did and pick up tickets in the aftermarket.) I'm taking my office crush since she's a huge fan of both Lily Allen and Natalie Portman's Shaved Head, and...oh, the things I do for lovelike.

I really, really love the new album, and even though I've been a lot more prolific with my music purchases than usual over the past few months, this might be my favorite thing I've heard all year. (Natalie Portman's Shaved Head's "Glistening Pleasure" is pretty awesome too but in an altogether different way.)
Old 04-03-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw her at the House of Blues in San Diego last night. Great fucking show! Lily was in top form and cute as a button. She had some good banter with the audience, introducing songs in some hilarious ways. For example, she introduced "Not Okay" as being a song for her ladies, about how "You meet a nice guy, and he's so sweet and so cute, and then you get him into bed and he's just SHIT!" She then paused, looked behind her and said, "I don't think my band likes playing this one. Look at their faces, they're not happy! I need an all-girl band for this song. Just to play this one song."

I got chatty with a few cute girls before the show, so we were all dancing together, which certainly was a bonus. She switched outfits for the encore, wearing a dress that kept riding up so she was continually pulling it down. A few times she just went with it and flashed us her ass or panties. It was a great show and I'm glad I saw it in San Diego instead of at the Wiltern, because the venue was much smaller and intimate. It was totally sold out, by the way, and there was a wider range of people there than I expected. It was about 1:1 on the gender ratio, and plenty of people in their 30's and 40's. If she comes back through LA I will definitely see her again. My only complaint was that the set was too short. She only played for about an hour and fifteen minutes.

The opener, Natalie Portman's Shaved Head, weren't bad. They had a retro 80's dance vibe going on. Unfortunately, the band member's parents showed up, pushed their way to the front, and began acting like asses, dancing around in such a fashion that they threatened to hit people in the face without even realizing it. Whenever we tried to tell them to calm down a bit, they got aggressive and angry. Really obnoxious behavior. Surprisingly, once Lily came on, the audience was really considerate. I didn't see anyone jockeying for positions or pushing their way to the front. Quite a surprise, really.

Edit: Probably the best part was "Fuck You," which Lily introduced by saying "This could turn out to be a moment..." During the chorus she flipped us all off and we flipped her off right back. It was good fun. She was constantly engaging the audience and encouraging them to dance or raise their hands.
Great review Daniel. I'm seeing her in Philly on the 18th. I had tickets to see Chelsea Handler on the 17th when she was in D.C. so immediately check her tour schedule and grabbed tickets for the show the following night. Also a small venue.
Old 04-03-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to go to the Atlanta show but I don't want to go without a girl and more importantly the prices are nuts.
Old 04-03-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I want to go to the Atlanta show but I don't want to go without a girl and more importantly the prices are nuts.
Did you not see Suprmallet's post? There will be plenty of single girls at that show. What are you waiting for!?
Old 04-04-09, 04:41 AM
Banned by request

I often go to shows on my own. My music tastes are so varied that often my friends, who may like a small portion of the music I like, aren't interested in the majority of live shows I see. And amazingly, despite the fact that I post on DVD Talk all day, I can actually talk to live women in person.

I didn't realize Lily was such a hot ticket. I wasn't in any rush and got my ticket right off Ticketmaster for face value, a little over $30 if I recall. Weird.

Anyway, here are some pics from the show taken from my iphone, so apologies in advance if they're not the best quality (spoilered for size):
Spoiler:

Old 04-04-09, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I need to check this album out because that song (above in the video) is excellent.

edit... bummer, the lyrics to "Not Fair" are just raunchy enough I won't be buying this... having a young daughter who listens to music with us kind of nixes that. Regardless, that song is awesome.

Last edited by atlantamoi; 04-04-09 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-04-09, 06:02 AM
Banned by request

There are these things called "headphones" you know.

You really should give the album a try, though. Along with the new Depeche Mode it's so far my favorite of the year.
Old 04-04-09, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are these things called "headphones" you know.

You really should give the album a try, though. Along with the new Depeche Mode it's so far my favorite of the year.
Oh, I know! It's just that I like to dump all my fave singles into my Mp3 player and hit random. Being more careful these days. Of course, I do have Sex Pistols "Bodies" on there, so maybe I'm not doing a good job! Anyway, Lily's never made an effort to hold back. Not surprising.
Old 04-04-09, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
edit... bummer, the lyrics to "Not Fair" are just raunchy enough I won't be buying this... having a young daughter who listens to music with us kind of nixes that. Regardless, that song is awesome.
I hate to suggest this, but you could buy the "clean" version.
Old 04-04-09, 06:12 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Oh, I know! It's just that I like to dump all my fave singles into my Mp3 player and hit random. Being more careful these days. Of course, I do have Sex Pistols "Bodies" on there, so maybe I'm not doing a good job! Anyway, Lily's never made an effort to hold back. Not surprising.
If you teach your daughter to swear as eloquently as Lily does, I think it will be a good life lesson.
Old 04-04-09, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I hate to suggest this, but you could buy the "clean" version.
You can hate it, but there are suitable reasons to not want uncensored pieces of music. Honestly, I've never purchased an uncensored song before, though. Then again, I don't listen to much rap so I easily avoid that for the most part. I'll listen to the censored version if there is one and see if the song sounds botched. It's mainly the "head" line.
Old 04-04-09, 06:25 AM
Banned by request

I thought it would have been the whole song. It's about how a guy is crap in bed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.