Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Lily Allen

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: New Lily Allen

Great album, my gfriend and I both love it...

"Not Fair" - what a classic

along with the uber uber uber catchy aforementioned Fuck You...you'll be humming this song in your car, at work, at home and probably while sleeping...it's that contagious
Old 02-09-09, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
"LDN" and "Alfie" were irresistible singles and her debut was among my top 3 of '07, but I'm not really feeling this song. Maybe it'll grow on me.

That said, I'll still be picking this up next week.

As for bonus tracks, here's what's listed on Wikipedia:

Japan edition
13. "Kabul Shit" 3:45
14. "*** Hag" 2:57
15. "The Fear" (enhanced music video)

US & iTunes edition
13. "The Fear (acoustic)" (US bonus track) 3:26
14. "He Wasn't There (acoustic)" (US pre-order only bonus track) 2:50
15. "Who'd Have Known (acoustic)" (US pre-order only bonus track) 3:49

An anti-Bush song...in 2009. How edgy!
Darnit iTunes, 3 bonus songs. Hmm, I only see 2 bonus songs on iTunes, track 15 is not on the pre-order.
Old 02-09-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Count me down as loving the first album and not being that big on the new one. I don't hear the fun attitude she put off in the first album on this one, plus most of the tunes aren't that dirty. I'll give it another spin to see if it grows at all on me but as of right now I can't recommend it.
Old 02-09-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So one of your criteria for the album to be good is that it be loaded with dirty songs?
Old 02-09-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

she must be related to Liz Phair and/or The Bloodhound Gang...
Old 02-09-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
So one of your criteria for the album to be good is that it be loaded with dirty songs?
of course not, but one of the things I really enjoyed with her first album was hearing what she'd come out with next. This album hasn't grabbed me with its music or lyrics, yet.
Old 02-09-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Amazon will have the MP3 version for $3.99 tomorrow -- but no bonus tracks that I can see.
Old 02-09-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I love it. Especially, "F@#k You".
Old 02-11-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like it so far. My wife liked her old CD better. I think its funny all the "cliche" type music that she uses... there's a country sounding one, a french sounding one, etc... F#*k You is pretty funny, but I wish I didn't know who it was about. I don't particularly like politically charged songs, but if I didn't know who it was about I wouldn't realize it was political.
Old 02-11-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think "Fuck You" is a great sounding song. That voice telling someone to fuck off is just great.

"Never Gonna Happen" is brilliantly paced and the music is f'ing brilliant. Definitely my favorite at the moment.
Old 02-11-09, 01:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got her first album recently and enjoy it. Loved The Fear, now downloading the album from Amazon. Forget bonus tracks, $3.99 for the album proper can't be beat.

Edit: After listening to both back to back, I definitely prefer the new album. The first album had some great singles, some solid tracks, then a few forgettable ones. The melodies on the new album are more developed, the production is more immediate, and I feel it flows better as an actual album. Good times.

Last edited by Supermallet; 02-11-09 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just picked up tickets for the 930 club show, heard she puts on a fun show.
Old 02-12-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The lyrics to Fuck You are pretty trite -- oh, my, a musician who hates George W. Bush -- and about five years too late, but it's still a damned catchy song.
Old 02-12-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The lyrics to Fuck You are pretty trite -- oh, my, a musician who hates George W. Bush -- and about five years too late, but it's still a damned catchy song.
I wish the lyrics were a bit more generic. The song doesn't feel like it could apply to anyone.
Old 02-12-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Get used to it. I'm sure you'll be hearing musicians (and comedians and actors and politicians, etc etc) talking about that jack ass for years to come.
Old 02-12-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Just picked up tickets for the 930 club show, heard she puts on a fun show.
I'm glad you posted this. I was just on the 930 Club website yesterday and it had nothing about this show. As it stands, I'm going to see Chelsea Handler at the Warner Theater that same night, so I can't see Lily. But I just got tickets for her Philly show the following night.
Old 02-12-09, 02:40 PM
Banned by request

I got a ticket for her San Diego show at the House of Blues with Natalie Portman's Shaved Head. Even with all the Ticketmaster fees it was under $40. Figured that was worth it.
Old 02-12-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I got a ticket for her San Diego show at the House of Blues with Natalie Portman's Shaved Head. Even with all the Ticketmaster fees it was under $40. Figured that was worth it.
Ya should've said something. I could've picked up tix at the box office and saved you a few bucks. I only live 10 or 15 mins from HOB. The show here should be fun since it opens the US leg of her tour.

Oh, for those that still buy CDs and collect autographs, newburycomics.com is selling an autographed Lily Allen CD booklet (along with the CD). For those interested, CLICK HERE. I've bought a couple from them (B-52's, Liz Phair) and you get the original release w/booklet along with the autographed booklet.
Old 02-12-09, 08:46 PM
Banned by request

D'oh! It was kind of a spur of the moment thing. Still, less than $40 AFTER Ticketmaster fees is ok by me.
Old 02-13-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you guys heard this cover of the Kaiser Chief's "Oh My God"?

Old 02-13-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some song information from wikipedia:

Fuck You - A third, politically charged clip was later posted, with the titles "Guess Who Batman" and later "Get Wit the Brogram", finally appearing as "GWB". Despite both working titles sharing initials with George W. Bush, Allen wrote that "this song is not a direct attack at anyone, it was originally written about the BNP in the UK but then I felt this issue has become relevant pretty much everywhere, we are the youth, we can make coolness for our future, its up to us. Go green and hate hate".[6] The song was retitled "Fuck You" for the album version.

The Fear - the song discusses Allen's fears of the world becoming a superficial, sterile place where everything is sponsored, while also offering commentary on life as a celebrity and society today.

Really like both these songs. The Fear grew on me with each additional listen.
Old 02-14-09, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

The Fear is a fantastic song. Gets better with each listen.
Old 02-14-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Have you guys heard this cover of the Kaiser Chief's "Oh My God"?
I got that when it was released. Good stuff.

I also like her cover of the Pretenders' "Don't Get Me Wrong":

It's pretty straightforward, but I dig it.

BTW, it's from this fun import double disc comp of covers:

Old 02-15-09, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I like the first track "Everyone's At It" an awful lot, then it occurred to me why : It's very similar to The Killer's "Smile Like You Mean It" off of Hot Fuss. Anyone else notice that?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1RuQy8sKKak&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1RuQy8sKKak&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8aPvuxC2Zkc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8aPvuxC2Zkc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 02-15-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
After listening to both back to back, I definitely prefer the new album. The first album had some great singles, some solid tracks, then a few forgettable ones. The melodies on the new album are more developed, the production is more immediate, and I feel it flows better as an actual album. Good times.
Now that I've finally had a chance to listen to the new one, pretty much the same way I feel about it, too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.