Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Lily Allen

Old 04-04-09, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New Lily Allen

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I thought it would have been the whole song. It's about how a guy is crap in bed.
Yeah, the more I thought about it, you are probably right. If my daughter wouldn't understand the gist of the whole song, she probably also would not get the one (or two) lines that I was talking about. But she would down the road. We aren't totally prudes with what we play around her. She hears everything from The Clash to M.I.A., but I am not wanting to let anything go. Parenting. Sorry for derailing the thread.
Old 04-04-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I didn't realize Lily was such a hot ticket. I wasn't in any rush and got my ticket right off Ticketmaster for face value, a little over $30 if I recall. Weird.
It might be different out here because she's playing so few shows on the East coast. Besides the Atlanta show, I think the closest gig is in DC, and that sold out pretty much immediately too.
Old 04-04-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great pictures Daniel. But bloody hell, were you stuck behind Justin Guarini all night!? Always happens to me. Either Wilt Chamberlain squeezes his way in, in front of me at the last minute. Or some nappy headed mother fucker. Something/someone always obstructing my view.
Old 04-04-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
I hate to suggest this, but you could buy the "clean" version.
Lily released a PG version of her last album. Did she not do that one on this release?
Old 04-04-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
If my daughter wouldn't understand the gist of the whole song, she probably also would not get the one (or two) lines that I was talking about.
If you buy the whole album, I'm going to predict the song "Fuck You" is going to also be a cause for concern!

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Lily released a PG version of her last album. Did she not do that one on this release?
Yes, she did. That's why I suggested he buy it.
Old 04-04-09, 03:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Great pictures Daniel. But bloody hell, were you stuck behind Justin Guarini all night!? Always happens to me. Either Wilt Chamberlain squeezes his way in, in front of me at the last minute. Or some nappy headed mother fucker. Something/someone always obstructing my view.
Actually, my eyeline was fine. It was the pictures that got obstructed. But yeah, that is one huge head of hair.

If anyone cares, Lily has been posting on Twitter before every show (her username is lilyroseallen) and has been hiding tickets to her shows around the city for a scavenger hunt. So if you don't have tickets, check Twitter the day of the show.
Old 04-05-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad to hear you had a good time, Daniel.

Another DT member took me up on the offer to pick up tickets at the BO. I figured I'd go ahead and get one myself while I was there. I checked on Thurs and there were still tix available. When I went downtown to HOB on Sat they were gone gone gone
Old 04-05-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I need to check this album out because that song (above in the video) is excellent.

edit... bummer, the lyrics to "Not Fair" are just raunchy enough I won't be buying this... having a young daughter who listens to music with us kind of nixes that. Regardless, that song is awesome.
if you know how to use itunes, they do have an edited version. Also i assume wal mart sells the clean version too.\
Yeah, the more I thought about it, you are probably right. If my daughter wouldn't understand the gist of the whole song, she probably also would not get the one (or two) lines that I was talking about. But she would down the road. We aren't totally prudes with what we play around her. She hears everything from The Clash to M.I.A., but I am not wanting to let anything go. Parenting. Sorry for derailing the thread.
Also to let you know, there is some swearing and suggestive content on MIA's Kala album too

Last edited by Rypro 525; 04-05-09 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
if you know how to use itunes, they do have an edited version. Also i assume wal mart sells the clean version too.
Amazon.com also has the clean version of the album, both as MP3 download and physical CD.
Old 04-06-09, 01:59 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Glad to hear you had a good time, Daniel.

Another DT member took me up on the offer to pick up tickets at the BO. I figured I'd go ahead and get one myself while I was there. I checked on Thurs and there were still tix available. When I went downtown to HOB on Sat they were gone gone gone
Sorry to hear. I hope she does another sweep through the States, although that seems unlikely since she lives in the UK.
Old 04-06-09, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
Also to let you know, there is some swearing and suggestive content on MIA's Kala album too
Of course, but it's MUCH harder to understand and some of the best cuts aren't bad IMO.
Old 04-08-09, 09:29 AM

The more I listen to this cd, the more I like it... I think it's just as brilliant as her first. I wish she wouldn't have such a limited tour...she's not coming out to the Phx area....
Old 04-19-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Caught Lily live last night in Philly. What a fun show! I just smiled (no pun) the entire time. I'm a little bummed she didn't more off the first album. She started off on her version of the Kaiser Chief's "Oh My God" (great song by them and her cover btw) and then suddenly went into "Everything's Just Wonderful", about 1/4 into "Oh My God". Strange, but it worked. Still, I would have preferred both songs in their entirety. Anyway, the only songs she did off "Alright, Still" were that, "Smile", "Littlest Things" and "LDN"!! No "Alfie" (!???) or "Nan You're a Window Shopper". Come on Lily Anyway, I had a great great time. Not sure I can wait another year or so for her next album. She's a terrific performer and song writer.
Old 04-19-09, 10:36 PM
Banned by request

Where are the pics, huh?
Old 04-20-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where are the pics, huh?
Sorry. Didn't bring my camera or cell phone Besides, mine would not have been anywhere near as good as yours.

BTW, did Lily bring anyone on the stage from the crowd for your show?
Old 04-20-09, 01:29 AM
Banned by request

No, what song did she do that for at your show?
Old 04-20-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, what song did she do that for at your show?

"Smile". And it was an 8 year old little girl. Lily would sing one line, put the mic in front of the girl, and she would sing the next line word for word. The crowd went nuts. The little girl was so cute and wasn't scared at all to be on the stage, having the time of her life. They traded lines about three times. And in one part, both just danced during the song.

During the middle of the show, Lily asked for two volunteers for a contest. She picked two guys. She said "Since we're in Philly, I'm going to have you both try to finish a 6 inch Philly cheesesteak within 30 seconds. And the one who finishes first, wins a prize". Well, the winner got a 12 inch Philly cheesesteak and he threw it out into the audience. It was hilarious. Lily then said "Nah, give this guy all the beer he wants".
Old 04-20-09, 09:57 AM
Banned by request

Nice! I saw her on the first night of the tour, so I'm guessing she's gotten more comfortable as it's continued. I'll bet her nightly ticket scavenger hunts have helped that as well.