Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Radiohead, where to start?

Old 04-12-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Radiohead, where to start?

lets just say, i really only know them from "Creep" and Pablo Honey album. For some reason, i couldnt get into them, I mean, creap is a classic song, but the rest of the album just wasn't working for me.

I have heard other stuff is somewhat similar to Pink Floyd and the rock group "Muse" apparently sounds like them in some degree, and I am a fan of both groups.
Old 04-12-07, 11:03 PM
Banned

OK Computer
Old 04-12-07, 11:28 PM

if you want Floyd, go with Ok Computer..if you want Muse, go with The Bends
Old 04-12-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm going to put in a vote for Kid A, although that may be their most commercial album. I found it best to listen to them when I wasn't listening to them, ya know? Just put the album on and do what you've got to do. Getting into the stuff will just kind of happen from there.

Good luck, and congrats! Radiohead is good stuff.
Old 04-12-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kid A their most commercial album? I don't think so.

Go with OK Computer.
Old 04-13-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely OK Computer or The Bends to start
Old 04-13-07, 12:40 AM

OK Computer for sure.

Then go for The Bends. Forget the guy who said Kid A is commerical. You'll want to get it eventually because it is one of their best, but it is really hard to get into.
Old 04-13-07, 08:22 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
Easily their two most consistent albums. I differ from most in that my desert island preference would go to The Bends.
Old 04-13-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Start with :
The Bends, Then Hail To The Theif, Then OK Computer, The Kid A, Then Amnesiac
Old 04-13-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd probably recommend The Bends first, as it's probably their most accessible album. The My Iron Lung EP, released between Pablo Honey and The Bends, is also a good starting point.
Old 04-13-07, 09:18 AM
Banned

You should also try to find a live version of ARPEGGI!, this one is gonna be big when they release a studio version.
Old 04-13-07, 09:30 AM

Start with The Bends and then go chronologically.
Old 04-13-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Start with The Bends and then go chronologically.

IMHO - The only way to go!

Although you can combine Kid A/Amnesiac into a "hits" cd of that time and you may find it a little more easy to listen to. I like both of the Cd's by themselves but there is certainly some filler. Someone here could make you a tracklist or I could if you wanted it.
Old 04-13-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm the guy who said Kid A was their most commercial b/c it's the one I got into the easiest, and I've found their other stuff pretty difficult. I didn't realize there was such a difference of opinion on their stuff.
Old 04-13-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I'd probably recommend The Bends first, as it's probably their most accessible album. The My Iron Lung EP, released between Pablo Honey and The Bends, is also a good starting point.
Bends is my personal fav. It's a great collection of songs. As a complete album, OKC is better.

Kid A is not commercially accessible. HTTT is probably more so, but none are more commercially accessible than the Bends, and to a large extent OKC.
Old 04-13-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by reubs82
I'm the guy who said Kid A was their most commercial b/c it's the one I got into the easiest, and I've found their other stuff pretty difficult. I didn't realize there was such a difference of opinion on their stuff.
Yeah, when it comes to Radiohead there's a pretty broad canvas to work with and a lot of different opinions.

Anyhoo, I'm with wenders... The Bends going forward.

Kid A / Amnesiac (I consider those to be one double album) is my favorite of the bunch but that's not a widely held opinion. I also did a lot of acid when I was younger... So...

Good for you Rypro, hope you dig em'. Radiohead are way up there on my list of modern bands that are worth listening to.
Old 04-13-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok Computer, the only Radiohead that I care for. The rest is just, eh....I can tolerate Kid A - but Plabo Honey and the Bends just bores me.
Old 04-13-07, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i agree with alot of the people above. the bends and ok computer as a one-two punch of great radiohead listening. i have both albums on one continuous playlist in my ipod as "awesome" hahaha
Old 04-14-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THE BENDS is obviously their most "commercial" album. I believe OK COMPUTER is their best record. I also think KID A is the last album from them that I really liked.
Old 04-14-07, 09:27 AM

I started with OK Computer and Kid A, skipped Amnesiac completely, picked up Hail to the Thief, then really found myself listening to The Bends and dismissing much of Pablo Honey.
Old 04-14-07, 11:59 AM
Banned

Amnesiac is one of Radiohead's best.
"Pyramid Song", "Life in a Glasshouse", "Like Spinning Plates" (studio version not that rubbish live version) "I Might Be Wrong". How can you deny the genius of those songs?
Old 04-14-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
Strong Agreement both are fantastic albums but I couldn't get into any of their stuff post OK Computer. It just got too weird for me.
Old 04-14-07, 01:12 PM

I started with OK Computer which made me a huge fan. Didn't like Pablo Honey at first - although I do now - and The Bends became my favorite. OKC is an album in the Floyd sense - you really want to let it flow on it's own as it has an overall musical theme (start, middle, finish).

That said I am a Radiohead freak and consider them by far the best band currently making music. Have fun.
Old 04-14-07, 01:40 PM
Retired

I'd pick up The Bends and OK Computer to start with. There two best and they are very accessible. Pablo Honey is too..but it's just not very good as a whole IMO.

If you did those two a lot, then check out Kid A or Hail to the Thief, though they are very different. If you LOVE Kid-A, then check out Amnesiac, if you hate it avoid it as its more or less an Album of Kid-A B-Sides. I love both albums, but if one doesn't like Kid-A they won't like Amnesiac.
Old 04-14-07, 03:12 PM
Banned

The Bends is nowhere near one of Radiohead's best.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.