Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Halen possibly reuniting with Roth again!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Van Halen possibly reuniting with Roth again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JZ1276
I like both Sammy and DLR as well...however, when Hagar joined MANY of VH songs were about love, and thats not cool for a metal/hard rock band
Not to mention the fact that they had a TON of ballads and keyboards. Not cool at all. I don't blame Sammy for that by the way.
Old 03-08-07, 05:33 PM

http://www.tmz.com/2007/03/08/eddie-...ks-into-rehab/

Eddie Van Halen Checks Into Rehab

Posted Mar 8th 2007 5:52PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Music

The long awaited Van Halen reunion tour will be even longer-awaited -- Eddie Van Halen has checked himself into alcohol-related rehab.

WireImage

In an exclusive statement to TMZ, the rock legend explains why he's determined to clean up his act:

I would like Van Halen fans to know how much I truly appreciate each and every one of you. Without you there is no Van Halen.

I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you.

Some of the issues surrounding the 2007 Van Halen tour are within my ability to change and some are not. As far as my rehab is concerned, it is within my ability to change and change for the better. I want you to know that is exactly what I'm doing, so that I may continue to give you the very best I am capable of.

I look forward to seeing you in the future better than ever and I thank you with all my heart.

Love,
Ed

Eddie was scheduled to join the rest of his bandmates at the Rock and Roll induction ceremony in New York on Monday, where Van Halen will be enshrined. But unlike Lindsay and Britney, Eddie will not be leaving rehab for field trips.

Chris
Old 03-08-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good get cleaned up and then get back to us. And please forget Sammy Hagar ever existed.
Old 03-08-07, 10:04 PM
Banned

Ha, Ha! Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame you thought by waiting it out you were going to get a full band. Van Halen should have been in the Hall many years ago!
It seems the Hall was waiting for original members to kiss and make and then they get in.
Just like when Paul didn't join Ringo & George for The Beatles induction the Hall has egg on their face!
Old 03-09-07, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eddie NEEDS the rehab. Man, he sounded horrible the last few times he was on Howard Stern.

Hopefully they'll cure him of the keyboard disease too.
Old 03-09-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like both Sammy and DLR as well...however, when Hagar joined MANY of VH songs were about love, and thats not cool for a metal/hard rock band
I don't mind that.
Old 03-09-07, 11:44 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Only Sammy and Mikey??

How did that old Van Halen song go? "I found the simple life ain't so simple ... " The iconic Los Angeles metal band is set to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a lavish New York banquet Monday night, but now it appears that only one original member, bassist Michael Anthony, will even show up.

David Lee Roth, the band's frontman for its first decade, said Thursday he will not attend the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel ceremony because event officials have turned down his repeated overtures to perform.

"I don't make speeches for a living; I sing and dance for my dinner," Roth said, adding that the decision to skip the event "rips my heart out."

The hall of fame's event organizers plan for Velvet Revolver to perform some Van Halen classics, much as Metallica stood in last year to play Black Sabbath songs while that band's members watched from the audience. "So it appears this is a television producer's decision," Roth said.

The choice of Velvet Revolver was in response to a sticky situation as far as what lineup of Van Halen could take the stage to perform with Roth. Van Halen's revered guitar hero, Eddie Van Halen, and his brother, drummer Alex, had already sent signals that they would not be in New York. The Van Halens have been in lock-down mode since their plans for a summer reunion tour with Roth collapsed last month. Roth said he last spoke to Eddie Van Halen's camp a week ago, and he said he could not determine the truth about reports that the guitarist is seeking help for alcohol problems.

"Ed is indisposed and working toward a better future here," Roth said. "If Ed ever dries up, this is going to be a stadium act, man.... What's happening here with this [New York event] is part and parcel of the same spiral that screwed up the tour."

Without the Brothers Van Halen, the Hall faced the prospect of putting Roth on stage with bass player Michael Anthony, who is the lone founding member expected to attend, and Sammy Hagar, Roth's replacement in the band and longtime foil, who logged more than a decade as the band's frontman. Hagar confirmed Thursday he is attending.

Roth said Thursday he had been preparing since December for the chance to perform for the industry elite, the media and a television audience that will be watching the ceremony live on VH1 Classics.

"It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band — who are only performing because they have some new record coming out — do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver — I'm not familiar with their music — but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."
Old 03-09-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Having only Sammy and Michael there would be weird. Why even bother going at all? But they're the ones who seem to be the most laid-back in the band. I guess it doesn't bother them. They're the ones -- to me, anyway -- that came across with the "life is a party" type vibe. (At least not in a reckless way that Eddie would partake in.)

I would love to see Sammy and David jam together. I know Sammy plays guitar, so he can just grind on the axe while David sings. And David...well, he can play tambourines or do those leg kicks he did in the "Panama" video, while Sammy sings.
Old 03-09-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
I would love to see Sammy and David jam together. I know Sammy plays guitar, so he can just grind on the axe while David sings. And David...well, he can play tambourines or do those leg kicks he did in the "Panama" video, while Sammy sings.
I saw the Dave & Sammy tour twice... they never appeared onstage at the same time
Old 03-09-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I saw the Dave & Sammy tour twice... they never appeared onstage at the same time
So I guess they got together for purely marketing (and financial) reasons. It makes sense. Do they even get along, though?
Old 03-09-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
So I guess they got together for purely marketing (and financial) reasons. It makes sense. Do they even get along, though?
No. They almost came to blows by the end of that tour.
Old 03-10-07, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Wow. What a clusterfuck.

And if the rehab, MA no longer in the band and no one being at the R'nR HOF wasn't bad enough...we're going to have to sit through Velvet Revolver doing VH songs?
Old 03-10-07, 01:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Wow. What a clusterfuck.

And if the rehab, MA no longer in the band and no one being at the R'nR HOF wasn't bad enough...we're going to have to sit through Velvet Revolver doing VH songs?

There is not one member of Van Halen who is better than any of the members of VR. VR will do VH songs better than VH could.
Old 03-10-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
There is not one member of Van Halen who is better than any of the members of VR. VR will do VH songs better than VH could.
NOT.

First off, Slash is nowhere NEAR Eddie Van Halen's league as a guitar player. Second, Matt Sorum doesn't have the same vibe as Alex Van Halen, and no one in VR can do Michael Anthony's high register backing vocals. Third, Scott Weiland's voice is all wrong for the Van Halen material.
Old 03-10-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by B5Erik
NOT.

First off, Slash is nowhere NEAR Eddie Van Halen's league as a guitar player. Second, Matt Sorum doesn't have the same vibe as Alex Van Halen, and no one in VR can do Michael Anthony's high register backing vocals. Third, Scott Weiland's voice is all wrong for the Van Halen material.
I'm glad you said it.

That's not to say I don't like Slash or Scott...In their prior bands.
Old 03-10-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
It's sad they can't put their egos aside for one night for such a huge honor.
Old 03-11-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking at this recent pic, he seriously needs rehab or he's suddenly in the body of a 60yo guy living on the streets:

And for Chrissakes, stop smoking.
Old 03-11-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
That pic was from a year ago, but you're right...his habits are really making him look pretty withered.
Old 03-11-07, 10:49 AM

NOT.

are you kidding me? have you heard eddie play lately? Slash blows him away. Maybe in Eddie's prime he was a better player but not now.
Have you ever heard Scott Weiland do cover songs? He can pretty much do vocals for any song and sound close to the original.
Old 03-11-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
Slash does NOT play the hammer-on EVH technique at all. He never has. While Eddie may or may not be in top form now, Slash's style is a complete mismatch for EVH's material. Slash is a blues rock player, EVH is mostly flash and technique.

And until I hear Weiland attempt Roth or Hagar I ain't buying it. I haven't heard him do anything remotely close to either of them.
Old 03-11-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

And until I hear Weiland attempt Roth or Hagar I ain't buying it. I haven't heard him do anything remotely close to either of them.
I heard he does a good Eddie Vedder...

Old 03-11-07, 01:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I bet VR is going to come out on stage and fucking blow all of us away with how great they play the Van Halen songs. Mark my words
Old 03-11-07, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I heard he does a good Eddie Vedder...

Weiland's vocal range goes wayyy passed Eddie Vedder's. Imagine EV trying to sing Fall to Pieces and hit the high notes.

anyway, like ZI said he can pretty much cover any song and sound perfect...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjEe-jv1iVc
Old 03-11-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Ridiculous.
Old 03-12-07, 09:46 AM

Yep,

Weiland's vocal range goes wayyy passed Eddie Vedder's. Imagine EV trying to sing Fall to Pieces and hit the high notes.
completely agree. Weiland is a FAR better singer than Eddie. And that clip is from before Weiland had some clean time which has opened his range back up. The whole Pearl Jam comparison is a joke anyway if you heard STP prior to releasing any albums.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.