Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Halen possibly reuniting with Roth again!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Van Halen possibly reuniting with Roth again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
old news... read post #39 from 2/2/07.
Old 02-21-07, 11:47 AM

Looks like they're breaking up again!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...l?200702210757

Van Halen Tour Postponed?
date: 02/21/2007

According to Pollstar.com, the Van Halen tour that was never officially announced is now officially postponed indefinitely. The rumored tour took on an air of reality after a trade magazine announced that original singer David Lee Roth was about to sign on the dotted line, and that was soon followed by a press release via Eddie Van Halen's spokeswoman-slash-girlfriend.

Unfortunately, the worldwide frenzy of a VH reunion was too good to be true, at least for the present day. However, there was a lot of paper getting inked and Pollstar states that a tour announcement might not have been far off.

Sources also tell Denver's Rocky Mountain News that Van Halen's performance at next month's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony may also be in jeopardy too.

A few days ago, RollingStone.com uploaded the first official photo of the new Van Halen lineup, featuring the group's new bassist Wolfgang Van Halen (son of Van Halen guitarist Eddie Van Halen). Check it out at this location.

In an exclusive interview with RollingStone.com, Van Halen singer David Lee Roth stated about his first post-reunion jam with Eddie, "Eddie and I wrote the songs, every note, every syllable, as if we invented a language that only we can speak. It was an easy, natural thing… When you speak a language that you both created, it's natural to go, 'I know you.' So it was very easy. There wasn't any stumble at all. I just showed up, and twenty minutes later, it was the usual, 'How's the wife, how's the kids, let's play.' When you're born to do that language, you speak it naturally. I never forgot it."

On how rehearsals are going, Roth said, "The chemistry is combustible. There's an explosive sound there that is, I think, perhaps… unless you were there, which most folks weren't, than you may have forgotten. This is really sophisticated, smart stuff. Everybody's at the top of their game in terms of… it's not just intangible things. My voice is arguably better than it was when I left the band back when. I love what I do, perhaps for some different reasons now than I did, more so than I did. It's a privilege to do what I do for a living."

Van Halen will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame on March 12 at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City.

Credits for the info to Blabbermouth.net.

Chris
Old 02-21-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Never before were there two people who deserve each other as much as EVH and DLR
Old 02-21-07, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are probably dumb questions, but isn't the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland? Why are they having an induction ceremony at the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC? I haven't read through the previous pages on this thread so maybe I'm just lazy and this was already discussed.

The only VH I've ever liked is when DLR was with them, but you're right DVD Josh!
Old 02-21-07, 03:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
The only VH I've ever liked is when DLR was with them
That is because that was the "real" Van Halen. Screw that Van Hagar crap.

I half expected something to happen to ruin the tour. Just as well, I guess. Reunions tend to be a big letdown anyway. I would rather remember VH like I saw them on the "1984" tour.

Eddie is such an egomaniac I don't even think he would be happy in a band of 4 Eddies.
Old 02-21-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Van Halen 2007
Old 02-21-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I see one reason why the band in that pic is NOT Van Halen!
Old 02-21-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lara Means

Van Halen 2007
Is it me or is alex the only thing in that picture that reminds us of the original van halen lineup???

Wolfgang..Screw that wheres michael...
David Lee..Looks better than a couple years ago, but damn i'm so used to all that hair...
Eddie..WTF...

Last edited by johnbook; 02-21-07 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I see one reason why the band in that pic is NOT Van Halen!
I see two! No Sammy..No Michael..
Old 02-22-07, 09:51 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbook
I've always been more partial to the Sammy years, not that I don't like the DLR days.

But, that's just so petty of the brothers VH to not include Anthony. I wonder, though, if maybe Mikey told them to go f*k themsleves?? He and Sammy seem to be having a grand ol' time playing as The Other Half!
Old 02-22-07, 10:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means

Van Halen 2007

WOLFGANG= Looks like the young beaver in "Thirteen going on 30".
DAVID LEE ROTH= Looks like one of the gays on "Queer eye for the straight guy".
ALEX VAN HALEN= Looks like the old bass player from "Huey Lewis and the News"
EDDIE VAN HALEN= Looks like a homeless man holding Eddies guitar.
Old 02-22-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ed looks like he's competing with Mick Mars and Ace Frehley as the scariest looking guitarist in rock.
Old 02-22-07, 02:38 PM

LOL. The first thing I thought of when I saw that pic of Eddie is that he's not too far from looking like Keith Richards.
Old 02-22-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by johnbook
Personally, I do not like Hagar. Saw that show a few times hoping I just saw a bad show. I kick myself going for more than once. Anthony? Not sure, his backing vocals is what really matters (is still even there?), I can't see EVH's kid being any worse as a bass player.
Old 02-22-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flashback
Personally, I do not like Hagar.
I have nothing against the guy. I actually think he's a good person and makes excellent tequila. I even like his solo recorded material.

He should just stay the hell out of Van Halen. When he joined, they jumped the shark.
Old 02-22-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess I'm one of the few that actually likes both Dave and Sammy.

They both marked a different era of VH. I associate Sammy's era with high-school, and since I had a good high school experience, I associate it with Hagar-era.

To be honest, either lineup (with Hagar or Roth) would be good for me, but NOT without Michael Anthony.
Old 02-22-07, 07:48 PM
Banned

Yeah, when Sammy joined, it was like, "Damn, Sammy Hagar just aquired the world's best backing band!"
Old 02-22-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
I guess I'm one of the few that actually likes both Dave and Sammy.

They both marked a different era of VH. I associate Sammy's era with high-school, and since I had a good high school experience, I associate it with Hagar-era.

To be honest, either lineup (with Hagar or Roth) would be good for me, but NOT without Michael Anthony.
Totally agree with you on that, started high school in 85 when 5150 came out, and no michael anthony to me i say fuck that.
Old 02-22-07, 08:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I like both Sammy and DLR as well...however, when Hagar joined MANY of VH songs were about love, and thats not cool for a metal/hard rock band
Old 02-22-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Van Halen's road plans have taken a rocky turn
February 22nd, 2007

By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer
February 23, 2007

For Van Halen, the stars seemed aligned for a triumphant 2007. Next month, the group will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the plan was to follow that with a summer reunion tour that would feature David Lee Roth back at the mike for the first time since the Reagan years.

But, once again, the backstage soap opera of Van Halen is the story of the day.

The Van Halen tour has been "shut down," according to a top official at Live Nation, the huge concert promoter that finally surrendered in the face of the chaos surrounding guitar hero Eddie Van Halen. Roth, meanwhile, says he is unsure whether the mercurial guitarist will even travel to New York for the Hall of Fame induction on March 12.

"We have fragile politics in Van Halen; please accept that as a partial answer," Roth said. "But I don't know if the Van Halens are going to go....I hope they do, but right now, I just don't know. Hope springs eternal."

Eddie Van Halen declined interviews through his publicist and girlfriend, Janie Liszewski. Conversations with the business team behind the tour paint a picture of a rock star who is somewhere between Axl Rose and Michael Jackson on the music industry scale of eccentric recluses. The result is that the Van Halen venture imploded before takeoff, even as the Police, the Eagles and Genesis have efficiently geared up for lucrative reunion tours.

"I cannot tell you how frustrating and completely nuts this has been," one key business figure in the tour said while asking not to be identified on the outside chance that the reunion might be salvaged. "Right now, I have to say, I don't see that happening."

It's a disheartening situation for the fans who pine for a Roth-led lineup of the iconic metal band. Among those devoted is Wolfgang Van Halen, the 15-year-old son of Eddie and, according to Roth, a key force behind the reunion.

Wolfgang, a precocious musician, was "the maestro" at the reconstituted band's lone rehearsal, picking the set list and using his iPod to remind his father of the nuances of his solos on the old albums. Wolfgang was tapped by his father to play bass on the tour too, replacing founding member Michael Anthony, a jolting choice considering the child's age and Anthony's status as one of rock's best backup singers and most relentlessly cheerful presences.

Eddie Van Halen remains, by all accounts, a gifted guitarist and rock auteur, but the decision to jettison Anthony in favor of a teenager may have been the first sign that the new enterprise was guided by creaky logic. Now all eyes will be on the Hall of Fame banquet to see who shows up, who performs and how Roth interacts with old rival Sammy Hagar, the man who replaced him as lead singer in 1985 and who will be inducted as an equal.

On Valentine's Day, when the tour still looked viable, Roth was all smiles as he sat down for an interview in a bungalow at Chateau Marmont. The 52- year-old was wearing a snappy black suit and the short haircut that has recently replaced his old pro-wrestler cut. He still flashes a karate smile, but the singer seems calmer and more focused than in years past. The reason, he said, is that he's fresh from working as an emergency medical technician in New York. It's a longtime dream of his to be a paramedic, and the unglamorous gurney and rubber-glove duty humbled him, he said.

"I was working in neighborhoods that were almost exclusively black and Spanish-speaking, so only maybe twice out of 200 clients was I recognized.... I was joking about this in the truck on New Year's Eve, which was my last shift -- I was working in Brooklyn, down in Coney Island -- I said that I've been in more project apartments than Jay-Z and Diddy combined."

Roth was the rock frontman on top of the world when he went solo, but -- as Mick Jagger and Robert Plant also learned -- fans treasure him more when he was side-by-side with an equal on guitar. Roth seemed like a vainglorious sex panther in Van Halen, but on his own he often came off as a relentless jive salesman whose only product was his own past. Roth is still "on" all the time -- he calls it his "incandescent personality" -- but lately he comes off as the voice of reason, a pretty stunning change.

That, and the financial prospects, made him jump at the chance to work with Eddie Van Halen again. Of the old days, he says: "There was a lot of sparks and a lot of tension, like your favorite movies, especially those underground ones.... There was a lot of anxiety too, but it was about ambition, not ego."

Roth was optimistic that the band would follow up the tour with new music; he also pointed to the cache of 1996 recordings that he did with Van Halen during an earlier reunion flirtation. Now it appears the entire output of this new reunion was a single rehearsal in January and a photo shoot with Roth and Eddie, Wolfgang and Alex Van Halen. Alex is Eddie's older brother and the band's drummer.

"Hearing it again, that's an elixir.... What we sell is that we make all the guys feel young and invincible and all the girls feel young and desirable," Roth said. "I watched it happen to everybody that was listening in the studio."

Van Halen was a monster of rock and, for a time, arguably the biggest band in the world. According to the Recording Industry Assn. of America, Van Halen albums have shipped more than 56.5 million copies, which is more than the career totals of U2, Celine Dion, Shania Twain or Prince.

Roth said that he and Anthony will be in New York for the Hall of Fame, as will Hagar, the affable "red rocker."

Last month, Hagar publicly chided Eddie Van Halen for taking his son on tour. He also added that "the guy is a genius, but he's just out there and it's hard for people around him."

In 2004 and 2005, Van Halen toured with Hagar and, according to Pollstar, grossed $55 million playing arenas. But Hagar said that Eddie Van Halen was drinking heavily and, on some nights, it showed. In Chicago, Eddie stumbled throughout the set and, at one point, quit playing and sacked out, telling the crowd: "I done run outta gas."

There were tender scenes too. With the tour winding down in Los Angeles, for instance, Wolfgang came on stage at the Staples Center to play. The body language of father and son made it clear that they reveled in the shared spotlight. Roth said that that affection led to the hopes for the Van Halen reunion.

"I'm going to put some words in Ed's mouth," Roth said. "Whatever explanation he may give about having his son in the band, I'm going to superimpose: He wants to play with his kid while he's still at the top of his game and able to ... and that's also the same reason I'm in the band in its current configuration. No questions asked. He said, 'Hey, c'mon up the hill and make some music.' I said, 'Great. I'd love to play with you while you're still on the top of your game.' "

Roth smiled, but a moment later, when he was asked about what he feared most about the reunion, he didn't hesitate with his answer: "The two worst words in the English lexicon are 'band meeting.' "
wtf?
Old 02-23-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
That was a good article. It sounds like, for once, Dave has his head on straight, while Eddie's head is planted firmly somewhere unknown. Too bad Eddie won't come out and give some kind of explanation as to what's going on. Judging from how he's been described lately, he'd probably blame it on everybody else.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Wolfgang taking Anthony's spot. Lots of bands have gone through personnel changes as years pass. Look at Styx. Out of five, there's only (technically) one original member still in that band (two whenever Panozzo joins them onstage occasionally), and they still draw the fans.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 02-23-07 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-23-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel

Personally, I don't have a problem with Wolfgang taking Anthony's spot. Lots of bands have gone through personnel changes as years pass. Look at Styx. Out of five, there's only (technically) one original member still in that band (two whenever Panozzo joins them onstage occasionally), and they still draw the fans.
I wouldn't call the state fair circuit success, but that's me.
Old 02-23-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I have nothing against the guy. I actually think he's a good person and makes excellent tequila. I even like his solo recorded material.

He should just stay the hell out of Van Halen. When he joined, they jumped the shark.
I meant in regards to fronting VH, not as a human being.
Old 02-23-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I wouldn't call the state fair circuit success, but that's me.
I didn't say anything about their level of success or where they perform. I just stated that their fans still come out to see them.
Old 02-23-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
This should be the new Van Halen logo:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.