Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2: "Zoo TV Live From Sydney" -September 2006

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2: "Zoo TV Live From Sydney" -September 2006

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That won't work for everybody because the DVD has enabled "user controls" that lock out certain functions. On my Sony player the title search is disabled, but on my PC it works because I have software that defeats the user prohibitions.
Old 09-22-06, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
great trailer, you forget how unbelievable the zootv/zooropa tours were...
The best tour in history by any band at any time.

This DVD is one of the best commercial concerts ever released, so often filming is planned so far in advance and as luck has it, the band has an off night, crappy crowd, blown voice for the singer etc. This was one of the better Zooropa shows.

If you are a fan, you need to get yourself a copy of the professionally filmed Washington 92 DVD. Its available on the net and in trading circles. Dont pay for it. Its a great performance, and the audio/video quality is excellent. This show was part of the Zoo TV outside broadcast leg, and was a very different show than the new DVD.

It has Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World, I Still haven't found what I'm looking for, and back to back blistering performances of Bad and Sunday Blood Sunday. The encore is also different, you get the mirrorball man Desire, Ultraviolet (U2's most underrated song) and the extended version of With or Without You which has become rare in recent tours.
Old 09-22-06, 09:53 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
That won't work for everybody because the DVD has enabled "user controls" that lock out certain functions. On my Sony player the title search is disabled, but on my PC it works because I have software that defeats the user prohibitions.
Ditto here (Sony player, also). Thanks again for giving me the tools to find "Interference", though...
Old 09-22-06, 12:46 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mr. Salty and Filmmaker, I understand the "lock-out" feature that prevent title searches during playback but you can access all titles (i.e. video content) on any particular DVD every-time when a DVD is in the player but not running.

I'll try my best to explain, when the 2nd Zoo TV DVD is in the player press stop, let your players plain screen saver come up then hit either display or program (this varies depending on the player) you'll then have either a elaborate menu in the case of my Sony player or in the case of my Toshiba a real basic small square with a number in it. Both of these allow me to select and access all the titles on the disc almost all the time...

I say almost all the time because my Toshiba allows me to access all ten titles on the Zoo TV bonus disc. Number 10 is a main menu on the DVD but if I try to select number 10 with my Sony player it won't access it for some reason. This only happens when a title is a main menu but if a title is actual footage it will play it all the time.

Here's a list of all my DVD players store bought straight out of the box unmodified with the exception of my Apex (that I installed a region free chip in.) All of these play Easter Eggs using the display or program button. No tricks, no gimmicks.

Sony DVP-S550D
Toshiba SD-3900
Apex AD-500W
Audiovox PE-702 7" portable

Funny thing is with my Toshiba player I didn't even realize that "...And A Whole Lot Of Interference From Zoo TV" documentary was an Egg at all because the player is set to "auto" start and it was the first thing that plays when the disc is put in.

I know I can't be the only person that owns those players I mentioned above or maybe I just got lucky and bought the Supers Secret no strings attached Easter Egg by-pass versions.

Hell, I haven't bothered to try but I'm positive I can even get my iMac, Playstation2 and Xbox to access eggs by using the display or program menu function.

Try it you'll be surprised, I've been using this method for over 6 years now (I don't have the patience for Easter Eggs), I just figured everyone else did the same.

Last edited by hal9000; 09-22-06 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 08:32 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Well, I'll be damed, hal9000, that worked! I guess you just edged Mr. Salty out as my new favorite person! Seriously, though, thanks--that spares me beaucoup headache.
Old 09-23-06, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazon is currently matching Circuit City's prices - 2-disc for $15.99, 1-disc for $9.99.
Old 09-23-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally got mine in the mail today. I forgot what a spectacle this tour was. Nice to retire another VHS from my collection. Bring on "Popmart", please!
Old 09-26-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by shaggy
Have you put it on any of the torrent sites? It shouldn't be against the rules, now that the VHS is out of print. I hope you can make it available , everything I have ever downloaded that you provided has been steller.

I have a feeling this won't see the light of the day again.
I did torrent it on either STG or TTD back when I did it, and it's very available. It is the version with the Spacebaby as the menu and all the menu lettering is in Stencil font.

Big rumor on the U2 sites is they canceled the Milan Vertigo DVD and are going to release Popmart Mexico next.

Thanks for the nice comments...
Old 09-26-06, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Big rumor on the U2 sites is they canceled the Milan Vertigo DVD and are going to release Popmart Mexico next.
Well, I'm rather dismayed by the use of the word "canceled" rather than "delayed", but I'm all for a release of POPMART...
Old 09-26-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Watched this over the weekend...and loved it. Boy, would that have been a great tour to go to. And, even though I absolutely detest the quick MTV-style editing and jump cuts, I'll give it a pass since it fits within the context of the show.

One feature that I wish they would've included: an alternate angle that only showed what was displayed on the TV screens while they played (like the video during the "Numb" karaoke bonus feature).
Old 09-26-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,208 Likes on 4,235 Posts
They did a great job remastering this. Usually I hate 1:1.33 aspects, but it works nicely on my video ipod and damn that show sounds great!
Old 09-27-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Well, I'm rather dismayed by the use of the word "canceled" rather than "delayed", but I'm all for a release of POPMART...
I heard the band isn't happy with the performance/video, and since there is a stellar boot of the 03/02/06 Buenos Aires, Argentina show, I would MUCH rather have the Popmart show released, than 2 (or 3 if you think they will release the B.A. show in IMAX as it was filmed for a IMAX production) Vertigo shows.

I mean we have 2 Elevation shows, rumored 2 or 3 Vertigo shows, yet no Popmart, Red Rocks or 1980-1990 Best of DVD's.
Old 09-27-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I heard the band isn't happy with the performance/video, and since there is a stellar boot of the 03/02/06 Buenos Aires, Argentina show, I would MUCH rather have the Popmart show released, than 2 (or 3 if you think they will release the B.A. show in IMAX as it was filmed for a IMAX production) Vertigo shows.

I mean we have 2 Elevation shows, rumored 2 or 3 Vertigo shows, yet no Popmart, Red Rocks or 1980-1990 Best of DVD's.
So the B.A. show was also pro-shot? I think another Vertigo show would be great, assuming the setlist is somewhat varied from the first one that's been released.
Old 09-27-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For B.A. Proshot, no annoucer or subtitles...
Set List

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day / Solo Le Pido A Dios (snippet)
The First Time
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (snippet)
Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

encore(s):
Zoo Station
The Fly / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (snippet)
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Original Of The Species
All I Want Is You

No compresion. 4.5 mbps
AC3 2.0ch
NTSC
Size 4.10 GB