Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Digital Track Downloads From Best Buy?

Old 09-26-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Digital Track Downloads From Best Buy?

Does anyone know if these can easily be placed in iTunes so that you can listen to them on your iPod?
Old 09-26-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got one for the pink spiders, they say it is for windows media only or something. I tried to download it, didn't work for some reason, code only works once so I was out of luck. So if can you download it properly you would need to burn it to a cd and then transfer it to itunes, can't download directy.
Old 09-27-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mh4268
I got one for the pink spiders, they say it is for windows media only or something. I tried to download it, didn't work for some reason, code only works once so I was out of luck. So if can you download it properly you would need to burn it to a cd and then transfer it to itunes, can't download directy.
WRONG!!!!!
They're protected WMA files. They can't be converted to MP3, so they can't play on an ipod. They can't be burned to a CD either. They'll only play on your computer (if it's not a mac, apparently) or on an MP3 player that plays WMA files. I really feel Best Buy is deceptive when they advertise "Free Exclusive Music Downloads" that are that restrictive. What's worse is that you can't find out about the restrictions until after you've bought the CD. No information on the CD case, the sticker or on the BB.com website. This is really ticking me off.

Also I downloaded the exclusive tracks for the REM album and there was a video download that I couldn't get to open. This is a really bad idea on Best Buy's part. I feel bad for people like me that get fooled by these promotions.
Old 09-27-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This doesn't sound promising. I had planned on picking up Jerry Lee Lewis' new album there based on the fact they have 2 downloads, but it's sounding like it may not be worth it now..
Old 09-27-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My feelings exactly on the digital downloads. Bought Janet Jackson at Best Buy because of the 4 downloads and I'm going to try and burn them to a CD so that I can put it on iTunes but it looks like according to Decker this may not work. I agree with Decker that this isn't much of a promotion for iPod users.
Old 09-27-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These seem kind of a rip-off then. I guess I didn't miss much when my download failed. I bought the UTIOG cd and it came with a Bestbuy bonus cd of just 2 songs, should do this for all of these and forget the digital download.
Old 09-27-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i wouldn't say it's a rip-off. the deal on the cd is still good. for example, they had the REM IRS hits for $9.99. i bought it at best buy because of the price, not because of the downloads (which i downloaded once and then deleted cause i couldn't put them on my ipod. who cares. big whoop.)
Old 09-27-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't say it's fraud since the downloads are there, but it's clearly deceptive that the downloadable songs can't be played on an ipod, by far the most popular digital music player or be burned to a cd (unlike most digital download purchases). I would much prefer if they included the extra tracks on the CD pressing.

Bravo to Target, which included four bonus tracks to a 21-song Tony Bennett CD this week.
Old 09-28-06, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My downloadable Janet Jackson songs I just burned onto a cd using the Windows Media Player and it was then able to be placed into iTunes, so it actually worked! My Letoya free download did not work though.
Old 09-29-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've tried my tracks every way I can think of. Maybe there's some trick I can't see, but the files I've downloaded (Besch Boys, R.E.M., Elton John) seem completely unburnable to me.