Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Allofmp3.com dead? [merged]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Allofmp3.com dead? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cungar
Damn I still had 17 cents worth of credits
That's like three albums' worth.
Old 07-02-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Well thank God that's over:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2016297.ece
Boy, those trade rep tigers sure showed them Russkies a thing or two.

It's a good thing there are absolutely no competitors out there. For example, the exact same company under the exact same DBA and a new URL....
Same web design?
Old 07-03-07, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
Damn I still had 17 cents worth of credits
I had 7 cents left. Damn, you beat me.
Old 07-03-07, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's strange.

I went to the MP3Sparks site, and tried to sign up, and it tells me the ID I want is taken.

So just for the heck of it, I click on "Forgot Password" and give my email, and I get the same ID and pass I used on AllOfMp3.

But when I try to login using this information, I get "Invalid username or password"...

????????????
Old 07-03-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had like $6 or $7 worth! Crap!
Old 07-03-07, 09:09 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JP5683
That's strange.

I went to the MP3Sparks site, and tried to sign up, and it tells me the ID I want is taken.

So just for the heck of it, I click on "Forgot Password" and give my email, and I get the same ID and pass I used on AllOfMp3.

But when I try to login using this information, I get "Invalid username or password"...

????????????
Same here. Hmmm.
Old 07-03-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movieking
I had like $6 or $7 worth! Crap!
Just go on the Mp3sparks website. Once you enter your user name and password your account info should come up from Allofmp3 along with your remaining balance...at least mine did.
Old 07-03-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Just go on the Mp3sparks website. Once you enter your user name and password your account info should come up from Allofmp3 along with your remaining balance...at least mine did.
I am experiencing the same thing as others above...I tried to do what you suggested and can't get on there.

I created a new account (though I had $1.93 left in my balance) and tried to add money. Now tell me why they created a new website but still won't allow Visa or MasterCard payments? And I can't find anybody selling vouchers for them yet. What a waste.

mp3stor.com...here I come!
Old 07-06-07, 08:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like the "sparks" site is dead now too. That didn't last long.
Old 07-06-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by parker63
Looks like the "sparks" site is dead now too. That didn't last long.
I guess it was good for customers who could get their balances from the previous site to transfer over, but I could never get it to work for me.
Old 07-07-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

mp3stor.com's credit card payments have now been shut down for all US IPs. I'm not sure how legal that is.
Old 08-30-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
They're Back!!

allofmp3.com will be back up soon!

Russian pirate music download site to reopen

By Reuters
Thursday August 30, 04:30 PM

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian music download site www.allofmp3.com has said it will resume business soon, after a Moscow court ruled its operation is in accordance with Russian law.

No music is currently on sale, but a statement on the Web site says business will begin shortly, with enhanced payment procedures and a larger selection of music.

The statement was dated Aug. 31, but did not make clear whether that was when the site would resume business.

Earlier this month the Cheryomushki Court in Moscow ruled that Denis Kvasov, allofmp3's former head, was not guilty of intellectual property theft and had not violated Russian copyright laws.

Neither Kvasov nor a representative from allofmp3's parent company, Media Services, could be reached for comment.

The U.S. Commerce Department in 2006 called allofmp3 "the world's highest-volume online seller of pirated music", and made its closure a key point in bilateral trade negotiations for Russia's accession to the World Trade Organisation.

The site was closed in early July ahead of a summit between the Russian and U.S. presidents, though Internet visitors were directed to a similar Web site where allofmp3 credit could be used to purchase music.

Allofmp3 sold digitally encoded music across a wide range of artists and genres at prices significantly lower than Apple's popular iTunes or the newly legalised version of Napster.

The Russian site also paid no music industry royalties, saying it was in compliance with Russian law by instead paying 15 percent of its profit to a non-commercial partnership that handles licensing and payment for digital media.

"We pay royalties to those who sign up with us and ask for them. But none of the majors, among them I mean labels like EMI and Universal, want their money," said Oleg Nezus of the Russian Organisation for Multimedia and Digital Systems.

"I've been sending them letters since November of 2005, stating there's a dividend. The labels don't respond."

The case heard against Kvasov in the Moscow court was initiated by Russian state prosecutors.

Separate, civil cases against the site are pending in the United States and Britain. Those actions were brought by industry lobby groups on behalf of major recording companies.

"From a Russian law point of view, these sites aren't legal because they go through pseudo-official licensing agencies and don't have direct agreements with copyright holders," said Igor Pozhitkov, regional representative of the IFPI, which represents the recording industry worldwide.
Old 09-05-07, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AllofMP3 founder cleared of copyright violation

http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...cle2871492.ece

A Russian court has thrown out a case brought by major record labels against the founder of AllofMP3.com, the controversial music download site at the centre of a diplomatic spat between Russia and the US.

Denis Kvasov, the former owner of the website, has been cleared of charges of copyright violation after the judge presiding over the case ruled AllofMP3.com had operated within the bounds of Russian law. The ruling comes as a blow for major music labels, including EMI, Universal Music and Warner Music, which had argued the site infringed on their copyrights.

The controversial website attracted around 5.5 million users by offering music downloads at a fraction of the price of other download sites like Apple's iTunes, but attracted the opprobrium of major music labels which argued the "parasitic" site was enabling illegal downloads and not paying royalties to copyright holders or artists. The website was closed in June, to the delight of the global music industry, but the company behind the site has established a new download service although it has not stipulated how it differs from AllofMP3.com.

MediaServices, the holding company behind AllofMP3.com, has argued it paid royalties to a Russian copyright collection agency, but music companies do not recognise that organisation as legitimate and claim the agency does not pass on the royalties to rights holders. The site has come under increasing pressure from Russian authorities after trade officials claimed the site's activities could act as a barrier to Russia's entry to the World Trade Organisation.

However, attempts to prosecute the people behind AllofMP3.com were dealt a blow after Yekaterina Sharapova, a district judge, ruled in favour of Mr Kvasov, arguing that the prosecutors had not presented a persuasive case. "I want to draw particular attention to the sloppy job done by prosecutors in collecting and analysing the facts," the judge said. Mr Kvasov faced the prospect of three years in jail and a potential €420,000 (£284,000) fine if he had been found guilty.

The IFPI, the global music trade body, said it was "very disappointed" by the decision.

http://www.reuters.com/article/inter...85563020070815

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A Russian court on Wednesday acquitted the former boss of music download Web site www.allofmp3.com of breaching copyright in a case seen as a key test of Russia's commitment to fighting piracy.

The allofmp3.com Web site angered Western music companies by offering downloads far cheaper than the market price in deals they said breached copyright law.

Denis Kvasov, head of the company which owned the site, was put on trial after entertainment companies EMI Group Plc, NBC Universal and Time Warner Inc. pressed for a prosecution.

"The prosecution did not succeed in presenting persuasive evidence of his involvement in infringing copyright law," said the judge Yekaterina Sharapova.

The site, which has now been closed, was a thorny issue in negotiations between Russia and the United States over Russia's accession to the World Trade Organisation, a key aim of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Russian marketplaces and underground passes are full of cheap copies of music and film on DVDs and the Russian government has been accused of being too lax on protecting intellectual property rights, a basic principle of WTO membership.

But in July Russia's top negotiator on WTO entry said he thought a deal would be ready by the end of the year.

All this was found at http://www.allofmp3.ru

The service will be resumed in the foreseeable future. We are doing our best at the moment to ensure that all our users can use their accounts, top up balance and order music.
Old 09-25-08, 10:45 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Bumping this to ask if anyone is still using mp3sparks.com?
Old 09-26-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't bump the thread if the site's still down.
Old 09-26-08, 02:19 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
the site was renamed and it's now mp3sparks. That site is working...
Old 02-22-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Allofmp3.com dead? [merged]

Anybody use mp3sparks still?
Old 02-24-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Allofmp3.com dead? [merged]

I never could get my supposed credit from AllofMP3.com to work at mp3sparks.com, even though it was supposed to. I couldn't even log in for the longest time.