Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dimebag Darrell (formerly of Pantera) shot dead

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

From NBC4I.com:

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- At least three people died and four others were wounded after a shooting at a Columbus nightclub on Wednesday night, NBC 4 reported.

The shooting took place shortly after 10 p.m. at Alrosa Villa, located at 5055 Sinclair Road.

Two members of the heavy metal band Damageplan were reportedly shot and killed, including Dimebag Darrell, formerly with the band Pantera, NBC 4's David Wayne reported. The alleged gunman also died at the scene, Wayne reported.

Shortly after the band began playing its first song, a man reportedly ran onto the stage and began shooting, according to a witness who identified himself as Sean. Some members of the audience reportedly thought the man running onto the stage with a gun was part of the band's act, NBC 4's Erin Tate reported.

Witnesses said that several shots were fired at the band. Witnesses said that a bouncer at the club tackled the alleged gunman before that person was shot and killed. It was unclear as to whom shot the alleged gunman.

Alrosa Villa is a popular north Columbus nightspot for young adults, featuring rock and heavy metal bands, NBC 4 reported.

According to the band's Web site, Damageplan was touring nationally. It performed in Buffalo, N.Y., on Tuesday night and had a concert scheduled in Flint, Mich., on Thursday.

Damageplan featured former Pantera artists Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul. The pair were joined by vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bobzilla, according to their Web site.

Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for additional information.
Other articles...
Old 12-08-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh my God.
Old 12-08-04, 11:46 PM

I just heard that guy do an interview on Dallas' sports talk station The Ticket a few weeks ago. He seemed very excited about where Damage Plan was going. I honestly know very little about him or Pantera for that matter - but it was a good interview to here him psyched about making music.
Old 12-09-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

holy shit, man that sucks
Old 12-09-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is unfreakingbelievable. very sad.
Old 12-09-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sad.
Old 12-09-04, 12:49 AM

Wow that sucks!! Darrel was a fantastic guitarist! I met him on the Cowboys From Hell tour with Pantera. Very nice and open guy. He used to walk around the back of the crowd and play solos and talk to people at the same time.
Old 12-09-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy fuck Goddamn.
Old 12-09-04, 01:37 AM

Not that I want anyone ever to die, but WHY does it always have to be someone with genuine talent!???
Old 12-09-04, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
This story (posted above) says that 2 members of the band were killed, but only identified Darrell. Who else from the band was killed (or is the story incorrect)?

Regardless, this is a horrible, horrible story. I can't believe that it happened, but considering what a joke concert security is I'm almost surprised that this (or something like this) never happened before.

I hope that it never happens again. You can bet that bands are going to demand beefed up security from now on. As they should.

R.I.P. Darrell - you kicked ass and will be missed!
Old 12-09-04, 02:28 AM

This is so dad. Dime seemed like the coolest f'er around.
Old 12-09-04, 02:57 AM

Deaths

The other band member who was killed was believed to be the lead singer. It was reported that Vinnie Paul was killed by cnn.com but many news outlets and a local rock station in Columbus has reported that Vinnie was unharmed.
Old 12-09-04, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh shit this sucks! I thought Damageplan was a very poor act, but Darrell was fucking incredible, and I'll always love Pantera. Man, this is just unbelievable.

Old 12-09-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is awful. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dimebag was one of the nicest guys around, not a rockstar at all. Whether you liked his music or not, he, and the others killed/injured is a HUGE LOSS.

What's scary is I've seen Pantera in concert probably 10+ times over the years, and many shows at the Alrosa where this happened, you just never know. The event was video taped too, just a matter of time before that gets released, it will be sad to watch.

R.I.P. DIMEBAG
Old 12-09-04, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
FUCK FUCK FUCK

This is just awful. I'm almost speechless. Just unbelievable.

Here are some firsthand accounts of the incident: http://www.metalsludge.tv/main/index...90b7e5ff35080c

Sounds really strange. It seems like the guy was targeting Dime, and the police think the shooter might not have been acting alone. Just to walk up onstage like that and start shooting makes it seem like he was just some nut.

On CNN this morning, they mentioned the man in the hood and two club employees that the Metal Sludge, but I don't know if it's related to the shooting.
Old 12-09-04, 06:43 AM

That sucks!!!
Wasn't a big Pantera fan but some songs ruled. CFH was an excellant album.
RIP Diamond Darrell
Old 12-09-04, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
the radio station here (Louisville, KY) reported this morning that a cop shot the gunman, which isn't clear in the above article.
Old 12-09-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Very sad day for guitar fans. Dimebag was a special guitarist.
Old 12-09-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Apparently, what happened (from web reports and CNN) is that Damageplan took the stage at about 10:15 pm last night.

About thirty seconds into the opening song, an unidentified man walked onto the stage, grabbed Dime, and shot him, point blank, five or six times. A club bouncer tried to pull the shooter away from Dime, and was then shot.

At some point, the gunman started opening fire on the crowd.

A police officer was nearby, and was able to respond the club's call in about two minutes (seems pretty fast), and then shot the gunman dead. It's been indicated that the gunman was still firing when the officer responded, and might have had a hostage. In all five people are confirmed dead (included Dime and the gunman) and two others are seriously injured.

There's also a report that the police arrested another man, but it's so far unconfirmed.
Old 12-09-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow.

r.i.p

wow.
Old 12-09-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I heard on a local radio station that the cop who responded may have been an off duty officer who was either at the show, or (obviously) in the near vicinity. Thank god, otherwise more people may have been killed or injured.
Old 12-09-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
I've met Dimebag and talked to him for a bit -- what a very very cool guy & very down to earth person. There's no way he deserved this intentional assassination.

Darrell, thanks again for the handful of guitar picks.

Old 12-09-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fox News just reported that the gunman was 25 year old Nathan Gale. He jumped up on stage, shot Dimebag, then tried to shoot his way out of the club when he saw some cops.

Sad day indeed for metal fans. I remember in high school I never liked Pantera's music all that much, but Dimebag's guitar lessons in magazines were always well written and highly difficult for guitar music. He will be missed.

Last edited by DGibFen; 12-09-04 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-09-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
They said the bassist was also killed.

I can't believe this. I think of all the times I've seen guys jump the stage at shows. Like someone said above, it's suprising this hasn't happened before. I only saw Pantera once in concert before they broke up but even before that I was familiar with Dimebag.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-09-04 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-09-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kind of mad the shooter got off easy with death.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.