Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Hilary Duff to release Greatest Hits

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hilary Duff is all set to release her greatest hits album. How shocking is that! The girl has had only two solo albums and a few soundtrack numbers! And I thought Mandy Moore releasing her GH was premature! Yikes!
Old 11-18-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it going to be a 10 min long ablum?
Old 11-18-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This Girl Can Rock!
Old 11-18-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
The Seventh Seal has been broken...
Old 11-18-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Mopower
Is it going to be a 10 min long ablum?
It's going to be a CD single..

Also, shouldn't the thread title read "Hilary Duff to release Greatest Hit"?
Old 11-18-04, 12:36 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My questions.

1) Who tells these girls they can sing?
2) Why do parents and pre-teen girls continue to buy the product?

I was in a Target the other week and one of the Disney stars, Hillary, or some other girl has her own line of products.
On TV, I watch the disney channel occasionally for cartoons like Gargoyles, Aladdin. They sometimes do a story on viewers and things they like about Disney/Disney channel.
This one girl had an entire room filled with Hillary Duff stuff. Posters, sheets, blankets, cds, etc.

Take away all the fancy mixing, and all the post production effects. I bet she can't carry a tune. Just like a lot of other prepackaged acts in existance today.
Old 11-18-04, 01:10 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Vryce,

Not that I disagree with you much at all, but what makes you think this is more prevalent now than at any other time? Acts like Hilary Duff have been around for 50 years - Ann-Margret, Ricky Nelson, The Monkees, The Partridge Family, Bobby Sherman... Hell, look at The Archies! They weren't even real people and they had the biggest hit of 1969.

Edit - Actually, some of the artists I mentioned had genuine talent, especially Ricky Nelson, who is a personal favorite of mine.
Old 11-18-04, 01:15 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Oh no.. I don't think its any more prevalent now. It just is more in your face because of some marketing practices.
And, as you said, some of the artists you mentioned had genuine talent.
Im sure there are groups now that would fall under the same thing. Take away all their post-production and mixing, and they probably couldn't carry a tune or play their instruments either.

Its just sad that the music scene gets diluted with these kinds of acts and groups/individuals with actual talent get no exposure or very little.

One of my favorite singers had no help at all from a major label because she wasn't 18-20 and a hot body to sell/exploit. She had to form her own lable to put out her music and distribute it.
I've seen her live twice and she sounds about the same live as on her cds. She can sing, she can play guitar and she is good at it.

The experience almost disenchanted her because of the treatment she got by record execs.
I'm glad she pushed on and got her music out.
Old 11-19-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wendersfan
Vryce,

Not that I disagree with you much at all, but what makes you think this is more prevalent now than at any other time? Acts like Hilary Duff have been around for 50 years - Ann-Margret, Ricky Nelson, The Monkees, The Partridge Family, Bobby Sherman... Hell, look at The Archies! They weren't even real people and they had the biggest hit of 1969.

Edit - Actually, some of the artists I mentioned had genuine talent, especially Ricky Nelson, who is a personal favorite of mine.
Agreed. I loves me some Ann-Margaret, though. I dig that song "Thirteen Men".
Old 11-19-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Vryce
Its just sad that the music scene gets diluted with these kinds of acts and groups/individuals with actual talent get no exposure or very little.

One of my favorite singers had no help at all from a major label because she wasn't 18-20 and a hot body to sell/exploit. She had to form her own lable to put out her music and distribute it.
I've seen her live twice and she sounds about the same live as on her cds. She can sing, she can play guitar and she is good at it.

The experience almost disenchanted her because of the treatment she got by record execs.
I'm glad she pushed on and got her music out.
Are you talking about Aimee Mann? If so, she is one of my faves as well. I loved the big "fuck you" she gave to the major labels when they started sniffing around after the success of "Magnolia".

The same thing has happened with one of my favorite bands The Muffs. Very cool band with loads of great songs. They are on a small indie label now and pretty much do everything themselves.
Old 11-19-04, 02:47 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by LiquidSky
Are you talking about Aimee Mann? If so, she is one of my faves as well. I loved the big "fuck you" she gave to the major labels when they started sniffing around after the success of "Magnolia".

The same thing has happened with one of my favorite bands The Muffs. Very cool band with loads of great songs. They are on a small indie label now and pretty much do everything themselves.
Nope.. My favorite singer, Jonatha Brooke.
Old 11-19-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Vryce
Nope.. My favorite singer, Jonatha Brooke.
Oops! Well good for her for getting music out there on her own terms!!
Old 11-19-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh......now that's funny

Greatest Hits - good one......you guys are killing me
Old 11-19-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't you folks figured it out yet? It's not musically ability which defines any of today's female artists. It's sex appeal and sex appeal alone.

I defy you to name a non-"hot" successful female singer (we're talking Top 40 here).
Old 11-19-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, she is pretty hot. She can sing with my mister microphone.
Old 11-20-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hilarious, Pearl Jam one of the great bands of all time, and have been around in the public eye since 91 or so, are just now releasing a greatest hits, and she has been around since what 01' and is releasing one too. hahaha

Did she have a album in the womb?
Old 11-20-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hahaha
Old 11-20-04, 06:13 AM
Banned

Whee!

Yay! At least you guys arent closet Hilary fans! I think she rocks but only marginally. She has had so much stuff go on in her life over the last few years including a jealous older sister Haylie (whos said some pretty nasty stuff about her in interviews) but by no means does that make her any better than vapid cash cow Ashlee Simpson.

Speaking of vapid female performers, thats all we have these days. I mean, this year has seen some BAD albums. Janet Jacksons' CD was pretty bad as well. Avril Lavigne for all her worthlessness at least has some great production on her CD. But when people like Lindsay Lohan and Hilary start releasing greatest hits, I take offense. By the way, Mandy Moores new one is out soon and she was on Good Morning America saying how shes washed her hands off it and how ridiculous it was that her record company was releasing a GH CD so fast. I agree with the lady. At least shes got her head screwed on right. But I don't exactly see her complaining about royalties received. Its all about the money. And truly great albums and artists, such as Tiffany Darwish and her 'The Color of Silence' CD, never even get heard!!
Old 11-20-04, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally posted by Osiris
Yeah, she is pretty hot. She can sing with my mister microphone.

After she's done with mine.
Old 11-20-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: Whee!

Originally posted by Cottington
By the way, Mandy Moores new one is out soon and she was on Good Morning America saying how shes washed her hands off it and how ridiculous it was that her record company was releasing a GH CD so fast. I agree with the lady. At least shes got her head screwed on right. But I don't exactly see her complaining about royalties received. Its all about the money.
I think she's the only one of her ilk that has any sense whatsoever. And, if it was "all about the money", I don't think this album would exist

Or perhaps there are more teenage XTC/Joan Armatrading fans than i'm aware of..
Old 11-20-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Whee!

Originally posted by Rogue588
I think she's the only one of her ilk that has any sense whatsoever. And, if it was "all about the money", I don't think this album would exist

Or perhaps there are more teenage XTC/Joan Armatrading fans than i'm aware of..
Coverage is a cash-in album on the current trend of "standards" albums that have been coming out. The past year has seen Better Midler, Rod Stewart, Cyndi Lauper, and even Regis Philbin make one. They are the new trendy albums for the over-40 soccer mom crowd who don't want to be old-fashioned and listen to a Sinatra cd but still hear the songs.
Old 11-29-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Re: Re: Whee!

Originally posted by NitroJMS
Coverage is a cash-in album on the current trend of "standards" albums that have been coming out. The past year has seen Better Midler, Rod Stewart, Cyndi Lauper, and even Regis Philbin make one. They are the new trendy albums for the over-40 soccer mom crowd who don't want to be old-fashioned and listen to a Sinatra cd but still hear the songs.
  • Firstly, these are songs that Mandy actually picked. Not songs that are "standards" [though, perhaps many more people should consider the aforementioned XTC & Joe Jackson songs "standards"].
  • Second, even before this disc she was trying to get away from the Swedish/Orlando "Pop" factories with her self-titled sophomore album.
  • Third, i'm thinking that Mandy's "target" audience is far from the "over-40 soccer mom crowd who don't want to be old-fashioned and listen to a Sinatra cd but still hear the songs.".
Oh, and before I get accused of going on a "OMG Mandy!!!11!" tirade, let me just say that i'm not a particular fan of her music, but facts are facts.

To sum up: Hilary sucks.

[and not in a good Adult Talk kinda way...]
Old 11-30-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, for someone who doesn't listen to the Mandy Moore-brand of pop, I liked her covers album a great deal. She has a great voice and doesn't pretentiously let it get over-the-top, a la Celine Dion. What drew me to hearing the album were the choice of covers. It's an eclectic mix and I really wanted to hear her do the XTC, Joe Jackson, and Joni Mitchell covers.

She's good. At least on this album. Was hoping her cover of God Only Knows (which is sung in the movie Saved!) would be on this album. Alas, it wasn't.
Old 11-30-04, 10:08 AM

A Greatest Hits album already?

Is she going to split up?
Old 11-30-04, 06:38 PM

Bob Dylan's first album was released in 1962. His first Greatest Hits release was 1967. The Rolling Stones first album was released in 1964, but their first compilation was released in 1966. The Byrds first album was released in 1965, their compliation in 1967. The Beach Boys first album was released in 1962, and their Greatest Hits started rolling out in 1966.

The rush to release greatest hits compilations is indepedent of a musical artist's shelf life, from a forty-plus career like Mr. Zimmerman's to the likely <10 years of Ms. Duff. Even the Spin Doctors have a greatest hits album.

The Spin Doctors.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.