Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pearl Jam Greatest Hits - release date and track listing

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pearl Jam Greatest Hits - release date and track listing

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-04, 03:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by Kerborus
I love Pearl Jam, but I too see this as a money scheme [....] it has no value to the average Joe.
</small>Like me, the average joe will own less than one PJ cd. But (s)he might be interested in their output and fancy a sampler.

I've downloaded very few mp3s and rarely burn anything from my own collection: I actually like owning CDs and all the packaging that goes with them....

.... so, I might just buy this and PJ get some royalties from a brand new source.

Last edited by benedict; 09-26-04 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, this is pointless to a pearl jam fan, but will prob pick it up, since I have all their cds, and a ton of boots.. It makes sense to most casual fans though, because most of them believe there hasn't been a good song since ten, except for the played out hits like Given to Fly, BetterMan, NothingMan etc.

I'm far from excited from this release, but more pearljam is always good, now the pearl jam show I'm seeing tommorow in Boston, that's a bit better
Old 09-27-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those of us that remember PJ 'back in the day' would have bet our last dollar that PJ would never put out a 'Greatest Hits' cd.

Sadly, we would have lost that dollar.
Old 09-27-04, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Those of us that remember PJ 'back in the day' would have bet our last dollar that PJ would never put out a 'Greatest Hits' cd.

Actually, to the extent that this collection doesn't have any unreleased tracks on it, I guess Pearl Jam is treating its dedicated fan base with some respect. And for the "average Joe" fans like me and benedict, this is something I'd like.

Look at it this way, this is one more album toward PJ fulfilling its record contract. (Isn't it their last one?)
Old 09-27-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been out of the PJ loop for a while, who are they going to sign with now?
Old 09-27-04, 06:59 PM

I've been out of the PJ loop for a while, who are they going to sign with now?
They're going to release their own stuff I'm fairly certain. They have been testing selling stuff through their website among other places and had great success..
Old 09-27-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
No "Leaving Here"?

Oh well -- I'm still getting it.
Old 09-27-04, 07:49 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure that this is just Sony releasing it because they control the rights to everything that PJ recorded under their contract. PJ is probably cooperating, but I'm guessing Sony would have done it whether PJ cooperated or not, so they probably figured they might as well be involved in it.

From this point on, PJ will probably not sign with another label and just release albums and live shows themselves, so they have greater control over their recordings.
Old 09-27-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After seeing band after band release Greatest Hits CDs, I always thought to myself, "Pearl Jam will never do that..." But, I'm sure it's a case of Sony wanting to release it and them cooperating, for the fans' sake, as was suggested. Pearl Jam doesn't seem like the kind of band whose Greatest Hits CD will sell big. Although, priced fairly cheap its first week, it just might. Most fans will either buy it to have in their collection (yes, Mr. Chicken, that includes me) or won't buy it cuz they own every song on the set. I own every song and I'm still buying.

Where is "Man Of The Hour" though?

BTW, I make comps of bands I like and Pearl Jam has a Vol. 1 (with a Vol. 2 on the way). Here's the tracklist for Vol. 1, just as a comparison:

1. rearviewmirror
2. MFC
3. Corduroy
4. Hail Hail
5. I Got Id
6. Insignificance
7. Brain Of J.
8. Habit
9. Tremor Christ
10. Gods' Dice
11. Pilate
12. Mankind
13. Porch
14. Whipping
15. Grievance
16. Lukin
17. Daughter
18. Better Man
19. Light Years
20. Given To Fly
21. U
22. Last Exit

Obviously there's always a difference between a Greatest Hits comp and a Best-of comp. Bear in mind, this compilation was made before Riot Act came out (hence the exclusion of Save You, Love Boat Captain, etc. and Man Of The Hour). It's also fitting this collection is called rearviewmirror. It's my favorite Pearl Jam song... and I still haven't seen them play it live, after seeing them like... uh, 4 times, was it, Mr. Chicken?

K
Old 09-27-04, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
After seeing band after band release Greatest Hits CDs, I always thought to myself, "Pearl Jam will never do that..." But, I'm sure it's a case of Sony wanting to release it and them cooperating, for the fans' sake, as was suggested. Pearl Jam doesn't seem like the kind of band whose Greatest Hits CD will sell big. Although, priced fairly cheap its first week, it just might. Most fans will either buy it to have in their collection (yes, Mr. Chicken, that includes me) or won't buy it cuz they own every song on the set. I own every song and I'm still buying.

BTW, I make comps of bands I like and Pearl Jam has a Vol. 1 (with a Vol. 2 on the way). Here's the tracklist for Vol. 1, just as a comparison:

1. rearviewmirror
2. MFC
3. Corduroy
4. Hail Hail
5. I Got Id
6. Insignificance
7. Brain Of J.
8. Habit
9. Tremor Christ
10. Gods' Dice
11. Pilate
12. Mankind
13. Porch
14. Whipping
15. Grievance
16. Lukin
17. Daughter
18. Better Man
19. Light Years
20. Given To Fly
21. U
22. Last Exit

Obviously there's always a difference between a Greatest Hits comp and a Best-of comp. Bear in mind, this compilation was made before Riot Act came out (hence the exclusion of Save You, Love Boat Captain, etc. and Man Of The Hour). It's also fitting this collection is called rearviewmirror. It's my favorite Pearl Jam song... and I still haven't seen them play it live, after seeing them like... uh, 4 times, was it, Mr. Chicken?

K
I like your selections better.

Really, no rvm? They seem to play it at almost every show I've attended or so it seems.. Then again, it's one of my fav songs too, so always looking for it.
Old 09-28-04, 02:09 AM

I don't own any Pearl Jam albums (I did have Vitalogy on cassette but lost it a long time ago) and I'll buy this. I do like what I've heard from them and this will be a good range of their work. Maybe if I really like it I'll look at getting some their albums.
Old 09-28-04, 05:59 PM

1. rearviewmirror
2. MFC
3. Corduroy
4. Hail Hail
5. I Got Id
6. Insignificance
7. Brain Of J.
8. Habit
9. Tremor Christ
10. Gods' Dice
11. Pilate
12. Mankind
13. Porch
14. Whipping
15. Grievance
16. Lukin
17. Daughter
18. Better Man
19. Light Years
20. Given To Fly
21. U
22. Last Exit

K
Yes, I believe it was four times. And the reason why Man Of The Hour is not included (as far as I can see) is that Sony does not own it since it was released on their own label. PJ doesn't have much, if anything to do with this release. It's seems to be mainly all Sony. Which is why that from No Code on they only included the US singles.
Old 09-29-04, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by glasschicken
Yes, I believe it was four times. And the reason why Man Of The Hour is not included (as far as I can see) is that Sony does not own it since it was released on their own label. PJ doesn't have much, if anything to do with this release. It's seems to be mainly all Sony.
That's what I was thinking. Or maybe cuz it's a soundtrack song as well, from a movie made by Sony.

Oh well. My PJ Essentials Vol. 2 will definitely include it.

K
Old 09-30-04, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by AndyCapps
They should've just done a re-release of Ten.
Yeah, a Legacy Edition like The Clash's London Calling or Jeff Buckley's "Grace"...
Old 10-13-04, 01:45 PM

From billboard.com

Pearl Jam Caps Epic Tenure With Hits Set

Pearl Jam will cap its tenure on Epic next month with its first hits collection. Due Nov. 16 via Epic, the double-disc, 33-track "rearviewmirror (greatest hits 1991-2003)" sports 16 top 10 hits on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, including the No. 1s "Daughter," "Betterman" and "Given To Fly," as well as 13 top 10 entries on the Modern Rock Tracks survey.

In lieu of new songs, "rearviewmirror" (the discs for which are split into an "Upside" and "Downside") boasts remixes of three songs from the Seattle rock act's seminal 1991 debut, "Ten." Longtime producer Brendan O'Brien was behind the boards for new mixes of "Once," "Alive" and "Black."

Beyond such staples as "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town," "Dissident," "Wishlist" and "Even Flow," the album includes a cover of Victoria Williams' "Crazy Mary" (first issued on the 1993 "Sweet Relief" compilation), the live favorite "Yellow Ledbetter" (which reached seven Billboard charts in the mid-'90s despite never being promoted to radio) and "Man of the Hour," penned for the 2003 Tim Burton film "Big Fish."

Also featured is "Last Kiss," a 1950s cover released on a 1999 charity single that improbably became the band's biggest hit, peaking at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100. The lone Pearl Jam track that appeared on the Hot 100 but is missing from the album is "Tremor Christ," which peaked at No. 18 in the fall of 1995.

Pearl Jam recently wrapped its run on the Vote for Change tour and is expected to hit the studio next month to begin work on its eighth album.

I removed the tracklisting, but it does show "Man of the Hour" is now included, as well as moving "Yellow Ledbetter" to the end of Disc 2.

Perhaps Ten will be getting a full remix if they've gone back and remixed three of the songs.

Last edited by FrozenMetalHead; 10-13-04 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After seeing band after band release Greatest Hits CDs, I always thought to myself, "Pearl Jam will never do that..." But, I'm sure it's a case of Sony wanting to release it and them cooperating, for the fans' sake, as was suggested.
I've always been of the impression that the "greatest hits album" was a fairly standard obligation in many (most?) record deals.
Old 10-13-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by FrozenMetalHead
From billboard.com

The lone Pearl Jam track that appeared on the Hot 100 but is missing from the album is "Tremor Christ," which peaked at No. 18 in the fall of 1995.
Tis a shame too, as it's one of my favorites. Liked it much better than its flipside, "Spin The Black Circle".

Glad to see "Man Of The Hour" on there though. Love that tune.

I might wait till this comes out before I do my own vol. 2 PJ comp, to give a listen to those remixes. Probably not though, as it's been on the backburner for quite some time now.

K
Old 10-14-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Billboard article was edited shortly after being posted. Crazy Mary is no longer on the cd.
Old 10-14-04, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Dubya
The Billboard article was edited shortly after being posted. Crazy Mary is no longer on the cd.
Sucks....must be a rights issue...
Old 10-14-04, 01:35 PM

that "Breath" is on it but that "Masters of War" is not.
Old 10-14-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Grrr, even in a revised tracklist, still no "Leaving Here"
Old 10-14-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by SeekOnce
that "Breath" is on it but that "Masters of War" is not.
They should release a studio version of "Masters" single on amazon.com to coincide with the election.
Old 10-16-04, 01:30 PM

From Billboard

Here is the track listing for "rearviewmirror":

Upside:
"Once"
"Alive"
"Even Flow"
"Jeremy"
"State of Love and Trust"
"Animal"
"Go"
"Dissident"
"Rearviewmirror"
"Spin the Black Circle"
"Corduroy"
"Not for You"
"I Got ID"
"Hail Hail"
"Do the Evolution"
"Save You"

Downside:
"Black"
"Breath"
"Daughter"
"Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town"
"Immortality"
"Betterman"
"Nothingman"
"Who You Are"
"Off He Goes"
"Given to Fly"
"Wishlist"
"Last Kiss"
"Nothing As It Seems"
"Light Years"
"I Am Mine"
"Man of the Hour"
"Yellow Ledbetter"

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1000670949
Old 10-17-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Solid enough release I guess. I wish they would have been able to add the few songs not on Lost Dogs like Crazy Mary and Angel.
Old 10-17-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by WillieTheShakes
I've always been of the impression that the "greatest hits album" was a fairly standard obligation in many (most?) record deals.
Depends on the contract - the artist may have to release, say, 5 albums in 8 years of new material, so unless they put a "new song" on it, a greatest hits release won't count.

Usually the label is behind greatest hits releases, for obvious reasons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.