Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

A Perfect Circle new album & more!!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

A Perfect Circle new album & more!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
It just doesn't sound good.

Good enough for ya?
No. Why doesn't it sound good?
Old 11-02-04, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think this should really be called a 'cover' album. Aside from lyrics, none of the songs much resemble the originals. After I listened all the way through, I had no idea one of the songs was When The Levee Breaks. I had to go back and listen to it again...
Old 11-02-04, 03:16 PM

I like how the cover songs don't sound like covers. They put their own spin on the songs and don't make it sound like the originals. I wish more bands would do covers like that. I like imagine, what's going on and passive. But the others i don't like too much. I've only listed through once or twice. But i'm a bit dissapointed, Just can't wait for the new Tool album i like them better than APC.
Old 11-02-04, 03:37 PM

I've only listened through it once so far and the only track that I have really enjoyed is "Passive". I love the original "Imagine" so it's hard for me to enjoy any other version. I'm hoping it'll grow on me enough to tide me over for a new Tool album.
Old 11-02-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Shit, Shit, Shit I forgot about this ablum! Gotta pick it up tomorrow.
Old 11-02-04, 11:26 PM

Is APC still doing Leno tomorrow night??
Old 11-02-04, 11:34 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Capo2002
Is APC still doing Leno tomorrow night??
Nope it was cancelled.
Old 11-02-04, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Nope it was cancelled.
Booo.
Old 11-03-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still very unsure how I feel about this album. On one hand, there are a few stand out songs. Passive, Imagine, and Fiddle and the Drum. But there are others that don't sound like Maynard at all. Most of the songs I just passed over without noticing. Definately dissapointing. The new Björk CD though, big thumbs up.
Old 11-03-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They dont sound like Maynard, because Billy Howerdel does a lot of the vocals on the songs. If you tally it up, I would say Billy is the singer on 75 percent of the album. Also Jeordi and James didn't contribute to the album. Danny Lohner and Charlie Clouser helped out instead.
Old 11-03-04, 12:48 PM
Suspended

Hopefully thats not the new trend for A Perfect Circle, to have Billy sing on half the album. He should remain backup as his voice compliments Maynard's voice very well. I was kinda shocked to learn that its actually Kennan's voice on "When the levee breaks". Thats a tone in his voice I can't remember hearing before.

As for the album, I can't see myself listening to some of the songs over and over again. The one's I am liking so far are:

Imagine, What's Going On, Passive, Freedom of Choice, When The Levee Breaks & Fiddle and the Drum. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the album. It's nice to have Paz back on alot of these songs as well. Bring on Tool!
Old 11-03-04, 03:33 PM

well APC with Maynard is most likely done. they did this album to get their 3 album contract finished.
Old 11-03-04, 03:39 PM
Suspended

There is absolutely no basis for thinking that. And they certainly have said contrary to that saying they like the group of guys they have together right now. Them fullfilling their contract means nothing more than them wanting to get a better deal or have more creative control.
Old 11-03-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There really is basis for thinking this is to finish their contract though. Billy has stated in interviews as recent as a few months ago, and during the last tour, that the future of APC is up in the air, and that he doesn't know whether or not it will continue on with maynard or if he will step in to sing. This probably is the last APC record with Maynard singing lead.

I can almost see APC turning into a band of revolving members (a la NIN.)

The other scenario I think may occur is that the next APC release will be with Billy singing, but possibly Maynard coming back in later on. I guess no one really knows but them, I'm just speculating.
Old 11-03-04, 05:05 PM
Suspended

From MTV.com's interview with Billy this year:

"We don't have any intention of breaking up or anything," Howerdel said, dispelling some rumors to the contrary.
Howerdel looks forward to the day when A Perfect Circle will reunite in the studio for hours at a time to write again, but for now he's content to focus on his solo material
The guitarist started working on the songs for his solo album before Thirteenth Step was written, and has been dabbling with them on and off through the past year.
"For now, I'm singing on them," he said. "But I'm keeping an eye to the corner and looking for another singer. Also, I want to find a producer to help me readdress a lot of things and maybe reconstruct everything from the ground up."

Getting another singer was referring to his solo project not APC. A Perfect Circle at its core is Billy & Keenan. If one or the other were to leave it would cease being A Perfect Circle.

Last edited by MJKTool; 11-03-04 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really digging this CD for the most part, it's more of mood music for me. I don't so much look at it as an APC CD, more of just a really weird-ass CD. Though weird-ass is good, when my mood is right. The only true to form song is "passive" which rocks damn hard, and make me want to yell. I love it. The balance of it is good, not great. But I wasn't expecting much to be honest.

Billy's singing is decent, not fantastic. I likely wouldn't buy a whole CD of him singing. MJK however could sing about milking cows and I'd buy it in a second!
Old 11-04-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool

Getting another singer was referring to his solo project not APC. A Perfect Circle at its core is Billy & Keenan. If one or the other were to leave it would cease being A Perfect Circle.
When they played Oregon on the last tour the Oregonian newspaper interviewed Billy. That's where I read that he said APC would go on with or without maynard, in some respect or another. I don't know if he meant they would retain the name, or if he just meant that the members would continue to make music together though.
Old 11-05-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could someone please list the songs that Maynard sings
lead vocals on?

thanks very much, i appreciate it.
Old 11-05-04, 03:08 AM

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure they are:
Annihilation, Imagine, What's Going On, Passive, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Let's Have a War, Counting Bodies, When the Levee Breaks, Fiddle and the Drum
Old 11-05-04, 12:27 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Ergyu
When they played Oregon on the last tour the Oregonian newspaper interviewed Billy. That's where I read that he said APC would go on with or without maynard, in some respect or another. I don't know if he meant they would retain the name, or if he just meant that the members would continue to make music together though.
Here's some excerpts from a very recent Rock Sound Spain interview.

Billy, every other member has other things to do while not working with APC, the contract is finished with eMOTIVe; is this end for APC?

No, I don’t think so.

But you are not sure you’re going to continue…

I’m not sure of anything in this life. By now we’re not going anywhere, but one day we will release another record.

With the same line-up?

Mmm… I don’t know. Maynard and I will be no doubt there, and I would say Josh too. I have to say that Paz Lenchantin has collaborated a lot in this record, so the line-up is… We will see what everybody is doing when it’s time to reunite again. It will be in some years though.

Looks like it might be awhile before those two bald men get together though.
Old 11-05-04, 12:40 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Could someone please list the songs that Maynard sings
lead vocals on?

thanks very much, i appreciate it.
1. Annihilation: Maynard
2. Imagine: Lead - Maynard, Backup - Billy
3. Peace, Love & Understanding: Lead - Billy
4. Whats Going On: Maynard & Billy
5. Passive: Lead - Maynard, Backup - Billy
6. Gimme Gimme Gimme: Lead - Maynard, Backup - Danny Lohner
7. People Are People: Lead - Billy, "La La's" - Maynard & Danny Lohner
8. Freedom of Choice: Lead - Billy, Backup - Maynard
9. Let's Have A War: Maynard
10. Counting Bodies....: Lead - Maynard, Backup - Billy & Danny Lohner
11. When The Levee Breaks: Maynard
12. Fiddle And The Drum: Maynard
Old 11-05-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sorely disappointed with this CD. I really can't get into it at all. The arrangements are simply uninteresting and uninspired, and every vocal effect pretty much sucks. When the Levee Breaks was offensive...I could hear John Bonham flipping over in his grave over the pitiful "vocals" in the song...

I like APC, but this CD went right on Amazon after the ride home from BB...and I ended up getting more than I paid for it, so I guess I'm happy...lol
Old 11-05-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hope this album is worth the $16.99 I paid for it at Media Play, BB was out.
Old 11-05-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lordzeppelin
The arrangements are simply uninteresting and uninspired, and every vocal effect pretty much sucks.

I think you hit the nail on the head, those are my exact feelings on it. Emotive is simply a poor and uninspired effort.

And Maynard needs to be lead vocalist for 80% of their songs, if not all of them. Let Bill Howerdel stick to writing, playing guitar and producing. That should be enough for him considering this band would be completely unknown were it not for MJK.

Just my four cents though.
Old 11-05-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
I'm sorely disappointed with this CD. I really can't get into it at all. The arrangements are simply uninteresting and uninspired, and every vocal effect pretty much sucks. When the Levee Breaks was offensive...I could hear John Bonham flipping over in his grave over the pitiful "vocals" in the song...

I like APC, but this CD went right on Amazon after the ride home from BB...and I ended up getting more than I paid for it, so I guess I'm happy...lol
"when the levee breaks" blew me away. I LOVE the arrangement on this one.

and this, is why MUSIC ROCKS. great to one, is garbage to another.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.