Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lollapalooza Canceled!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lollapalooza Canceled!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lollapalooza Canceled!

Lollapalooza Canceled; Organizers Cite Poor Ticket Sales

06.22.2004 12:51 AM EDT

Three weeks prior to kickoff, Lollapalooza has been canceled.

Organizers cited poor ticket sales as the reason the 31-date, 16-city trek was called off. This year's lineup was set to include Morrissey, Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, the Flaming Lips and the String Cheese Incident (see "Lollapalooza Adds Danger Mouse, Von Bondies; Dates Unveiled").

"My heart aches along with the bands and all of our employees, whose hard work developed one of the most exciting and important tours that this nation was to see," read a statement from Lollapalooza co-founder Perry Farrell. "My heart is broken."

The decision to scrap Lollapalooza was made Monday evening (June 21), when organizers and promoters realized they stood to lose several million dollars. In all markets except New York, advance ticket sales were below estimates.

"On the average, the losses, had ticket sales not dramatically picked up — which they showed no indication of doing — the people involved faced losses in the mid-to-high six figures on a per-show basis," said the William Morris Agency's Marc Geiger, another Lollapalooza co-founder.

Fans who purchased tickets will be given refunds.

Geiger said Lollapalooza's plight is indicative of a summer touring season on the slide.

"Lollapalooza is not alone in this," he said. "Everyone from the Dead to Dave Matthews to Norah Jones is suffering. There's not one explanation for this. It might be that ticket prices are too high, which doesn't account for Lollapalooza, because our tickets were priced between $15 and $25. Maybe it's the sundry add-ons [like service charges] that up the cost? Maybe gas prices are too high? Just like the record industry is suffering, the concert business is not exempt.

"After people get through this summer season," he added, "there's going to be a lot of fixing that needs to be done in the concert industry."

Early on in its 13-year history, Lollapalooza built a reputation for eclectic lineups, but as the years wore on it became more well known for having trouble getting off the ground (see "Perry Hits Lollapasnooza Button: Tour Sleeps Another Year"). After 1997's outing with Korn, Tool and Snoop Dogg, the tour lied dormant until last year, when it returned with a lineup that featured Jane's Addiction, Queens of the Stone Age and Audioslave (see "Jane's Addiction Headline But Audioslave Steal Show At Lollapalooza Launch").

—Joe D'Angelo
Old 06-22-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was a great lineup. Unfortunately the weren't having a show anywhere near me. I didn't think it was worth a 6 hour drive on a weekday to see it.
Old 06-22-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The sucky thing about this is that nobody else will try and tour in the future with a cool lineup like this. As I stated before I passed on tix because of the festival-type standing room only.
No go for me.
Old 06-22-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jeraden
I thought it was a great lineup. Unfortunately the weren't having a show anywhere near me. I didn't think it was worth a 6 hour drive on a weekday to see it.
My thoughts exactly...
Old 06-22-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Damnit, I bought tix to the NYC show. This was the best lineup since the old days, possibly since the first go round.

I wonder if Ticketbastard will refund the service charges, too, since that's what jacked up the ticket prices. Two 2-day passes to the NYC show came to $204 with all the fees.
Old 06-22-04, 10:01 AM
Retired

Glad I didn't get tickets. The lineup just didn't appeal enough to me to shell out the $$$ and bear the hot sun.
Old 06-22-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jeraden
Yeah, this was my problem too...
Old 06-22-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dammit.

Where will I get my Moz fix now?

And who paid $15 to $25 for their tickets? I think mine ran at least $60 and I only got a ticket for the first day.

Last edited by grunter; 06-22-04 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-22-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gah! I couldn't go anyway but the Pixies were supposed to play the NYC show. Whatev.
Old 06-22-04, 11:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well at least the Cure show with a boatload of great bands didn't bite the dust: The Cure, Mogwai, Interpol, The Rapture, Auf Der Maur, Muse, Cooper Temple Clause, now that's a lineup!
Old 06-22-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

everyone seems to have forgotten the extremely esoteric Area 1 & 2 festivals. those had great lineups. the second time around was a huge failure. did they cancel the dates? no, they still put on the shows. i suspect clear channel stinks. can anyone else smell it?
Old 06-22-04, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Hollowgen
everyone seems to have forgotten the extremely esoteric Area 1 & 2 festivals. those had great lineups. the second time around was a huge failure. did they cancel the dates? no, they still put on the shows. i suspect clear channel stinks. can anyone else smell it?
remind me who was on the Area 1 and 2 fests. My favourite travelling fest was Big Top a number of years ago, with Moby, System 7, Banco di Gaia, and other DJ's and live acts - it was fantastic and never done again, sad since it was a stellar diverse lineup of 'dance/electronic' music.
Old 06-22-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
remind me who was on the Area 1 and 2 fests.
Looks like for Area 1:
Moby, OutKast, Incubus (East Coast dates), New Order (West Coast dates), Nelly Furtado (select dates), Paul Oakenfold, the Orb, Carl Cox, the Roots and Rinocerose

Ford Focus, for example, is sponsoring an air-conditioned tent featuring such techno artists as Paul Oakenfold, the Orb, Timo Maas and the Innovators, the latter being a Detroit collective comprising techno godfathers Juan Atkins, Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson.

For Area 2:
Moby, David Bowie, Busta Rhymes and Carl Cox, John Digweed, The Avalanches, DJ Tiesto, DJ Dan, and Tim Skinner.

I totally would've gone to Area 1, had it come to Columbus. It seemed like a really solid line-up. Hell, I'd pay a lot to see the Roots. The rest of the bands would just be a bonus.

As for this year's Lollapalooza, the only artist I was interested in seeing was Morrissey and I didn't want to be out in the sun for one, possibly two, whole days (having to buy overpriced water) for just him.

These big outdoor festivals seem great in theory (lots of bands), but I've found that, in practice, I haven't enjoyed them too much (all of the annoyances add up, sitting through bands I don't enjoy, etc.).

Last edited by DJLinus; 06-22-04 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-22-04, 01:42 PM

I was planning on driving the 6 hours (bought tix and all).....What a let down....
Old 06-22-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I truly wish every major tour this year would be cancelled because of lack of ticket sales. Maybe that would be the ticket prices back down to a reasonable level.
Old 06-22-04, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus

These big outdoor festivals seem great in theory (lots of bands), but I've found that, in practice, I haven't enjoyed them too much (all of the annoyances add up, sitting through bands I don't enjoy, etc.).
This is why I try to at least save up some money and vacation time to go to one of the UK Music Fests - I love Reading, the V-Fests. The only I thing I didn't like about T in the Park was that it was too muddy and the distance from the main stage to the second stage was too far.

In non-US fests (other than Coachella) they are always done in pavilions or stadiums and not in a field, farm, or state park where you can enjoy walking between the many stages or lying down under a tree on the grass. UK fests strive to include a greater diversity of music and have at least four stages.

The food/water at US fests are crappy, boring, bland and expensive.
Old 06-22-04, 02:58 PM

Austin City Limits Fesitval is where it's at folks....great venue(Zilker Park), tons of stages and tons of great bands.
Old 06-22-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Miyazaki
Austin City Limits Fesitval is where it's at folks....great venue(Zilker Park), tons of stages and tons of great bands.
All of whom get shorter than full-length sets. That is the problem with festivals.
Old 06-22-04, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
All of whom get shorter than full-length sets. That is the problem with festivals.
This is true, but I won't get much of a chance to see even half of these bands any other time throughout the year.
Old 06-22-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by cdollaz
All the bands at ACL Fest last year got a full hour. I'd consider that basically a full length set. The headliners got 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Old 06-22-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gdrlv
All the bands at ACL Fest last year got a full hour. I'd consider that basically a full length set. The headliners got 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
I consider a full set the length the would play if I saw them alone. In other words, a minimum of 1.5 hours and usually 2+.
Old 06-22-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Its because Morrissey said nasty things about Bush! I knew this would happen. Paging Michael Moore.
Old 06-22-04, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Giles
a boatload of great bands didn't bite the dust: The Cure, Mogwai, Interpol, The Rapture, Auf Der Maur, Muse, Cooper Temple Clause, now that's a lineup!

The Pixies are better than all seven of those artists combined.
Old 06-22-04, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
The Pixies are better than all seven of those artists combined.
True dat
Old 06-22-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to CNN the original Lollapalooza tour in 1991 featured Audioslave. That must have been awesome!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.