Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lollapalooza Canceled!

Old 06-22-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The CNN article mentioned the sluggish ticket sales have been plaguing the whole concert scene. Maybe if tickets were AFFORDABLE the sales wouldn't be sluggish! I wanted to see Simon and Garfunkel in Dallas, this July, but the cheapest seats are EIGHTY FREAKING DOLLARS! If I'm going to pay EIGHTY dollars to see a concert, I damn well better be able to SEE the performers, not get the worst available seats!!
Old 06-22-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bring back the Monsters of Rock festival.
Old 06-23-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by shaun3000
The CNN article mentioned the sluggish ticket sales have been plaguing the whole concert scene. Maybe if tickets were AFFORDABLE the sales wouldn't be sluggish! I wanted to see Simon and Garfunkel in Dallas, this July, but the cheapest seats are EIGHTY FREAKING DOLLARS! If I'm going to pay EIGHTY dollars to see a concert, I damn well better be able to SEE the performers, not get the worst available seats!!

Good point. Concert going is fast becoming a thing for the rich only.
Old 06-23-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Good point. Concert going is fast becoming a thing for the rich only.
Wha-wha-what?

You mean you don't have an SUV, a cell phone with unlimited minutes, a McMansion in the burbs, a summer home in the Hamptons and chestfulls of disposal income at your beck and call?

Get with the program, man.

Old 06-23-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
According to CNN the original Lollapalooza tour in 1991 featured Audioslave. That must have been awesome!
An artist truly ahead of their time
Old 06-23-04, 10:14 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shaun3000
Seems like an early sign the music industry is going to shoot itself in the foot once again. Music downloading takes off, and they take forever to even *consider* lowering CD prices. Plus they laugh at the idea of distributing music digitally. Now CD sales have taken a dive, and legal downloads, while successful, aren't nearly as high as they would have been had they taken the bull by the horns early on.

So they get the word: concert revenue is where it's at!!! Let's jack up all the prices! Eventually people will stop going to concerts as well. Then what?
Old 06-23-04, 12:14 PM

what idiotic concert promoters schedule a 2 day festival on weekdays anyways?
Old 06-23-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was so looking forward to this tour. I had my money ready and was gonna purchase my two-day pass this weekend. I guess I'll just blow that money on alcohol and whores instead.
Old 06-23-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know if ClearChannel will refund your credit card automatically if you bought them on the internet???

Or do you have to go through a whole process of emails etc.?

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN PROVIDE INFO.
Old 06-23-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Why should I pay to see a concert? I just download the band members on Kidnapster.
Old 06-23-04, 03:47 PM
Suspended

who didn't see this coming, a tour package of some of the most washed out alt-rockers trying to give it one last go round..

easily the worst package lollapolloza ever had, and that's saying A LOT.

ticket sales in some cities were non-existent.. it should have told you something, when 3-4 days after they were onsale, that you could find tickets in the first 10 rows for some select shows..
Old 06-23-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Methinks that the problem wasn't the ticket prices, or the sluggish music industry, but rather stretching further than what the bands could sell. They were putting the shows on in 75,000 seat outdoor arenas, but had bands that typically only sold 3,000-5,000 tickets per show.

Plus, I didn't see a lot of potential cross-pollenation in the audience fanbase. I don't believe that a lot of Moz fans were looking forward to having to sit through a Sonic Youth set, and vice versa.

-jason
Old 06-23-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bummer. I was pretty excited for Wilco & The Flaming Lips.

Ticketmaster e-mailed me to tell me they refunded my credit card, less the Ticketmaster handling fees.

So, not only is the only concert I bought tickets for this summer cancelled, I had to give Ticketmaster $20 for the pleasure. Wow, thanks Perry Farrell.
Old 06-23-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DamingR
Ticketmaster e-mailed me to tell me they refunded my credit card, less the Ticketmaster handling fees.

So, not only is the only concert I bought tickets for this summer cancelled, I had to give Ticketmaster $20 for the pleasure. Wow, thanks Perry Farrell.
Well, you have to get that straightened out. That's unacceptable. I don't care what the fine print says. Charging you for something that wasn't delivered is out of the question. Call your credit card company. Especially when you consider that their fees contribute to the lack of sales that cause shows to get cancelled in the first place.

Man, if I bought tix to the NYC show, which was the only show that actually sold very well, I'd be hella pissed.
Old 06-23-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

trying to pass off club bands in a 2 day festival was never gonna work. sure the bands are good, some even excellent, some highly influential, but there were no BIG bands and this tour needed at least one per night. even if i wanted to see 3 of the bands, no way i was gonna sit thru 2 days of lame music to see them, i will wait until they tour alone, see a full show, in a smaller setting, away from 100 degree weather. i bet most people wanted to see only one or two of the bands and never heard of half of the other ones. poor planning. sorry perry, everyone isnt as hip as you. i would love a tour with nick cave, twilight singers, black heart procession, last days of april, king diamond, and dead can dance. that would bring about 2000 people AT BEST, add bon jovi and you get 5x the attendence. sure bon jovi sucks, but at least you have a tour people attend.
Old 06-23-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by lcnickell
who didn't see this coming, a tour package of some of the most washed out alt-rockers trying to give it one last go round..

easily the worst package lollapolloza ever had, and that's saying A LOT.
Howz about you and I keep far away from each other!
Old 06-23-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by grunter
Wha-wha-what?

You mean you don't have an SUV, a cell phone with unlimited minutes, a McMansion in the burbs, a summer home in the Hamptons and chestfulls of disposal income at your beck and call?

Get with the program, man.

Old 06-25-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got tix on the Lolla website, through Clearchannel. I can't seem to find out anything about refunds on this. I have not received an email.]

Both of their websites don't seem to have anything on it.\

Anyone with an idea or info, help would be greatly appreciated

thank you
Old 06-27-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Frank: that's because no one at Ticketmaster has a friggin clue as to how the refund will be handled. I just spoke to customer service because the expiration date on the credit card I used to purchase the Lollapalooza tickets was updated this week. (I just got a new card.) Ticketmaster can't tell me whether my card was actually credited back the money for the canceled show.

And now the new Morrissey show that was supposed to go on sale this morning . . . you can't friggin buy tickets unless you have an American Express card.

"F" that.

This on top of last night's canceled Prince show in Chicago . . . I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!
Old 06-28-04, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by grunter
This on top of last night's canceled Prince show in Chicago . . . I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!
why was the show cancelled? couldn't find it anywhere...
Old 06-28-04, 10:23 PM
Suspended

Howz about you and I keep far away from each other!
did you fart?
Old 06-29-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I received my refund. Out of the $204 total cost for two 2-day passes to NYC, I was refunded $200.50. They kept the $3.50 order processing fee, but not the per ticket service fee. I didn't pay for expedited shipping, but from what I've read, if you did, that won't be refunded either.

I'm glad I got the money back, but I much rather would have seen the show.
Old 06-30-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ugh.. looks like other shows are being affected by this. sonic youth was supposed to play toad's place on 8/13.. now it's cancelled.
Old 06-30-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Why should I pay to see a concert? I just download the band members on Kidnapster.

If that's not signature material, I don't know what is. Classic!
Old 06-30-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mkdevo
ugh.. looks like other shows are being affected by this. sonic youth was supposed to play toad's place on 8/13.. now it's cancelled.
Yeah, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club was going to be playing a bunch of additional dates, and those are all cancelled as well. I wasn't going to Lollapalooza, but I was going to catch one of their shows.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.