Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The "Death Cab For Cutie" Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The "Death Cab For Cutie" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by charlie bucket
I feel exactly the same way!
You don't like Tiny Vessels or Transatlanticism?

Keep Listening.

If Death Cab signed to a major record label they would take off and become one of the biggest bands around.
Old 09-30-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid closer attention and listened through tracks 6-11 again twice. Tiny Vessels doesn't do much for me, although its not that bad, just not oustanding. I don't really care for Transatlanticism at all. It starts off ok, but it just goes on for too long and gets too repetitive. I don't really know the names of the songs, I just stick the cd in the player and listen to it in the car. Track 8 is slow and boring. Track 9 is ok, but not really anything remarkable. Track 10 is quite good, I like that one. Track 11 is fairly decent. Just that none of them, except maybe track 10, compare to tracks 1-5.
Old 09-30-04, 09:42 AM

Transatlanticism is Death Cab's crowning achievement IMO (both the album and song). I can only expect greater things from this band.
Old 09-30-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whats so good about that particular song?
Old 09-30-04, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
Whats so good about that particular song?

The incredible vocal melody, great build up, and beautiful guitar riff thats played over the piano.
Old 09-30-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guys: is the Postal Service becoming popular? I don't listen to the radio much, but I heard a song off of their album in Target off all places today. Am I so out of it, I don't realize when a song I like becomes popular?
Old 09-30-04, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Hiro11
Guys: is the Postal Service becoming popular? I don't listen to the radio much, but I heard a song off of their album in Target off all places today. Am I so out of it, I don't realize when a song I like becomes popular?
I think indie rock is becoming more and more popular as time goes on. Watch TV commercials, TV programs (The OC, Gilmore Girls), etc. Just waiting for radio and mTV to catch up
Old 10-13-04, 01:08 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm seeing Death Cab for Cutie tonight at the Newport in Columbus OH. Anyone else here going?
Old 10-13-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by wendersfan
I'm seeing Death Cab for Cutie tonight at the Newport in Columbus OH. Anyone else here going?
I'm such a dork that I'm staying home to watch the debates. Actually, I don't know much of DCC's stuff outside of a CD that a friend at work lent me about 4 or 5 years ago, although I just got the Postal Service CD and am absolutely loving it. But, being jobless, I have to watch my expenditures (I'd love to see Sam Phillips - with a string quartet!- tomorrow night, but had better not).

I did budget enough to see the Asylum Street Spankers at Little Brother's this Saturday though. Talk about putting on an excellent show...

Not to hijack the thread, but did you go see Snow Patrol?
Old 10-13-04, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
I'm such a dork that I'm staying home to watch the debates.

I did budget enough to see the Asylum Street Spankers at Little Brother's this Saturday though. Talk about putting on an excellent show...

Not to hijack the thread, but did you go see Snow Patrol?
1. I'm taping the debate. I'm not a huge DCC fan, but I could be given the right impetus. I am a huge Black Box Recorder fan, FWIW.

2. It looks like I'm seeing Interpol on Saturday night. For some reason I thought Asylum Street Spankers was last Saturday.

3. I ended up not seeing Snow Patrol. I recently got a new job (see the multiple threads in Other about this) and they wanted me to start the next morning, so...

Maybe one day we'll actually meet face to face.
Old 10-13-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i saw them open for Pearl Jam last week, and they were good

although they only got to play for about 30 minutes
Old 10-13-04, 10:00 PM

Well, just got back from the show, and they sounded great. They didn't play as long as I would have liked, but it was still a really good show.

The best part was that I got carded. I'm 41 years old, and someone needed to see some ID before they would give me a beer. I'm on top of the world...
Old 10-14-04, 01:31 AM

They should get to play for longer that sucks. Do Pearl Jam fans seem to like Death Cab?
Old 10-14-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Nice to hear that it was a good show. Way to get carded. Reminds me of that PSA from a few years back where the convenience store clerk carded the middle-aged woman. The tagline was something like "you may make someone's day" or something like that.

Originally posted by wendersfan

Maybe one day we'll actually meet face to face.
One day, my friend. One day.
Old 10-14-04, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
Nice to hear that it was a good show. Way to get carded. Reminds me of that PSA from a few years back where the convenience store clerk carded the middle-aged woman. The tagline was something like "you may make someone's day" or something like that.
Last year I happened to go to the White Stripes show at Promowest with a bunch of people I knew, the oldest of which was in her late 20s. We walked in as a group, and after checking all our IDs the doorman made a point to single me out and say "Hey, no stage diving!" It was pretty funny.
Old 12-03-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
No discussion of PLANS?

I just got this dics, probably later than most here, and it is fantastic. I like it much better than Tansatlanticism.
Old 12-03-05, 10:12 PM

I personally prefer to pretend that Death Cab did not release Plans. I really liked Transatlanticism (although my personal favourite is Something About Airplanes) but I was really disappointed with Plans. There are a couple tracks I really liked (I love I will Follow you...) but I thought most of the other ones were sub-par for DCfC. I was also I wasn't impressed that they simply putStability on the disc and changed the name to Stable Song.

I feel I should add, though, that even a bad Death Cab For Cutie album is far better than most of the other crap came out recently.
Old 12-05-05, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Plans took awhile to grow on me but give it chance and it will suck you in.
I'm still hoping for a new postal service record and the ultimate tour Postal Service/Death Cab/Rilo Kiley.
Old 12-05-05, 08:21 AM

I think Plans and Transatlanticism are both phenomenal. Do you think I'll like The Photo Album?

Has anyone seen DCFC dvd? I was wondering if that's worth a purchase.

Last edited by Tenacious D; 12-05-05 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-05-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
I think Plans and Transatlanticism are both phenomenal. Do you think I'll like The Photo Album?

Has anyone seen DCFC dvd? I was wondering if that's worth a purchase.
If you like those two, you'll probably also like Photo Album. Now here's where the diehards will likely dissagree with me, but, I have a harder time getting into any of the albums prior to that, than I do the last three releases - and I think you might feel the same. I'd say it's because I wasn't really introduced to the band until Transatlanticism - so my opinion stems from starting there, and working my way backwards. Because of this, the earlier stuff sounds to me like a band that still hadn't quite realized their sound yet.

The same thing happend to me with the band Appleseed Cast. I got their last album, Two Conversations, about the same time I did Transatlantiscim (and I reccomend checking it out if you don't already have it) - and absoultely loved it. But when I worked my way back in reverse order, I found myself not enjoying the older material as much. Funnily enough, when I dug into finding out more about the band, and checked out other message boards about them - I saw a lot of people who loved the early work, but had a dissenting view to the new album. It's a trend that seems the same with DFCC, and many otehr bands, too.

As for the DVD, it's definitely worth seeing, for all the live preformances alone. Wether or not you need to own it, would depend on how many times you think you'd get replay value out of it. I'd rent it first (which I did).
Old 12-07-05, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the response Rocketdog. I tend to agree with you that I probably won't be as keen on their earlier work since I've only listened to Transatlanticism and Plans. I've had that experience with other bands. I'll probably give The Photo Album a shot sometime. And I like Transatlanticism enough that I'll probably blind buy the DVD too. I have a limited number of music DVDs, but I tend to re-watch them about once a year.
Old 04-21-08, 10:34 PM

Death Cab for Cutie: Narrow Stairs

Ok well this comes out in just a few weeks and wth the single out I thought Id get you's guys take on them. "Transatlantcism" is one of my favorite albums of all time, and "Plans" was ok - a few really good songs and a bunch of alright ones...

I dont care for "I will possess you heart" at all. The band decided to record this album live with little to no polish and its apparent on Gibbards vocals. The song has a 5 + minute intro of the same bass riff over and over and some of the most mediocre songwriting of the bands career. I prefer the pro tools infested death cab that ive come to know and love for their attention to detail and layering over this dry reincarnation of gibbard and co.
Old 04-21-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i listened to it a couple weeks ago and thought it was pretty awful.

transatlanticism & we have the facts are high in my fav albums list, but this is like listening my nightmare "death cab does derek & the dominoes"
Old 04-22-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really don't like the new song, and the cover art is pretty terrible too. Overall, I'm more nervous than excited for the album at this point.
Old 04-22-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My friend who's a pretty big Death Cab fan liked it. I wasn't a big fan of Plans but I liked Transatlanticism. I'll give this one a chance but honestly this wasn't the half of Postal Service I really liked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.