Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The "Death Cab For Cutie" Thread

Old 04-22-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Am I going crazy? There was a thread about the new death cab single a few weeks ago (that I posted in) that is now totally gone...wtf?
Old 04-22-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Am I going crazy? There was a thread about the new death cab single a few weeks ago (that I posted in) that is now totally gone...wtf?
You're definitely not crazy, I posted in it too. I couldn't find it last night, so I just posted my same thoughts in this thread. I guess the mods must not like Death Cab.
Old 04-23-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it referred to a site that provided the music illegally or whatever.

As for this album, I also heard the song sometime last month and thought it was shitty. I've heard that the rest of the album blows as well from pretty much everyone I've talked to about it. There are lots of jokes floating around about the album title too with regard to the singer being fat.
Old 05-05-08, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I loved Transatlanticism, the Postal Service CD and liked Plans more then most people did, but this album is REALLY BAD! I can't believe it's actually a major release and not on a 2nd CD somewhere because the whole thing sounds like a bunch of b-sides and practice recording sessions. It's a good thing a downloaded it to get a idea of what it would be like because I would be PISSED if I would have bought it.
Old 05-05-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Album is able to be sampled. I like, but it does feel abit "sparse". It feels like there is alot of room in the songs (not sure if that makes sense). Highlights: Bixby Canyon Bridge, Long Division & Pity And Fear.
Old 05-06-08, 04:17 AM

This is a very ''meh'' album for me. I thought 'Plans' was a huge step forward musically for DCFC, but this is an equal step back.
Old 05-10-08, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm staying away from whatever the hell the rest of you guys are smoking! I think this album is very good. Yeah, I even like "I Will Possess..." and I've heard it more than one time.
Old 05-12-08, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'm staying away from whatever the hell the rest of you guys are smoking! I think this album is very good. Yeah, I even like "I Will Possess..." and I've heard it more than one time.
Wow, glad to see one positive review. I like their current single and am avoiding listening to anything else until I get my hands on a copy. I loved both Transatlanticism and Plans
Old 05-12-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just can't help but think that after 6 albums Ben would be able to alter his lyrical content just a little bit. Thats part of what makes this album a turn off for me. I don't mind Walla's production, but Bens constant obsession with loss and coming to be contempt with life is a bit of a put off right now.
Old 05-12-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't like the album, but I can tell it'll be one of those albums that's really divisive among Death Cab fans. A lot of it is just too sprawling and unfocused, the single being the worst offender in that regard. I like Death Cab for their catchy indie-pop tunes, and this album just doesn't have much of that.
Old 05-13-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I'm a big fan (own all the albums) - and I like it a lot... go figure.
Old 05-14-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'm with you, too. It's a decent album - and perhaps a bit of a grower. Definitely not as "polished" as Plans was in the production department -but then again, weren't most folks/fans complaining about that last time? (that it was too slick, that is). Myself, I like that fact that they tried something a bit different, and didn't just do a carbon copy of Plans, or any of their past albums for that matter - which they easily could have. Guess you just can't please everybody, but at least some of us can appreciate it.
Old 05-16-08, 01:00 PM

The whole album made me easily fall asleep. Its not a get me up and scream type of band but I expected a little more.

I still love Postal Service though.
Old 05-18-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I own all the Death Cab For Cutie albums and EPs, as well as the Postal Service Album and EPS, and Ben Gibbard and Chris Walla's own solo efforts. Needless to say, I am a big fan. The first time I listened to this album I wasn't overly impressed, but on the second listen I was blown away. The only song I don't care much for is Talking Bird or whatever it is called. Other than that, I like all the rest very much. I think it definitely has a much darker vibe (music wise, not lyric wise) than Plans (which I think is much better than Transatlanticism, which I suspect would upset a lot of people), but I personally think that is a good thing.
Old 05-19-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think this record is great...I'm left scratching my head wondering why lots of people don't like it... Admitted, I wasn't a huge death cab fan until Plans, but I don't think this one breaks the mold or anything... seems like them doing what they do, and doing it well.
Old 05-20-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love it. Grapevine Fires & Your New Twin Sized Bed are my two favorite tracks.
Old 05-20-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Long Division" and "Your New Twin Sized Bed" are mine.
Old 04-05-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Death Cab for Cutie: Narrow Stairs

Seeing Death Cab tonight - looking forward to it. The Open Door EP which got an iTunes release this week (physical release in 2 weeks) is fantastic. Anybody else listening to this?
Old 04-05-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll pick it [The Open Door EP] up in stores. iTunes is a joke when it comes to buying a complete album.

And I still listen to Narrow Stairs, the songs have excellent repeat-value and are still just as enjoyable.
Old 04-06-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked up the CD release at the show last night too (I had to buy iTunes just to get familiar with the songs before the concert) and it really is a great EP. All of the songs on it are top notch and could easily be singles.

The concert was fucking fantastic. They opened with Ben solo doing "I'll Follow You Into The Dark" and then kicked it up a notch and ripped through a good portion of back catalogue stuff, mixed with the new EP and Narrow Stairs. I was really impressed with the performance. Definitely need to see them again!
Old 04-06-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
And I still listen to Narrow Stairs, the songs have excellent repeat-value and are still just as enjoyable.
Agreed. I picked up the vinyl and have listened to it at least 10 times the last couple months.
Old 04-27-09, 10:30 PM

This is a Death Cab related question and this was the newest thread I could find so I thought it would be the best place to ask.

Does anyone know of the SACD version of Transatlanticism originally came in a super jewel case? Or was it always in a standard jewels case?
I ask because I finally got around to getting this album this week and bought the SACD version. I thought I remembered seeing it in the super cases but mine came in a standard case. It's kind of a silly question, but I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer.

I have been listening to dcfc since the release of We Have the Facts... but lost interest a little around Transatlanticism's release, I always meant to get it but never did. I hadn't even heard Plans all the way through until I just bought it. I liked Narrow Stairs a lot and got that day of release, not sure what happened last week that finally got me to get those missing two, perhaps it was the new ep.
Old 05-20-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tell me about Death Cab for Cutie

Until this afternoon, most of what I knew about Death Cab for Cutie was "I Will Follow You Into the Dark." I thought it was OK, but overly saccharine and twee, so I never really made an effort to seek out anything else from the band. But today, I stumbled across Little Bribes (great video, by the way) and thought it was a much more enjoyable song.

So the questions are:
1) Which song is more typical of the band? and
2) Which albums would people recommend in terms of an introduction to the band?

Death Cab for Cutie - Little Bribes from Ross Ching on Vimeo.

Old 05-20-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Tell me about Death Cab for Cutie

Give Plans a listen.

= J
Old 05-20-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Tell me about Death Cab for Cutie

Plans is an excellent album.

As for your question, I'd say Little Bribes is a good representation. Cath.. is a great song.

The thing I like about Death Cab is the unorthodox drumming that sometimes accompanies a song of theirs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.