Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me create a Kickin GAY Song Playlist !

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Help me create a Kickin GAY Song Playlist !

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ugh! I'm a gay guy and not into much of the music that has been listed. I like Yaz and The B-52's (which had three gay guys not two).

The Lemonheads version of "Frank Mills" is pretty cool. With a guy singing, the song is quite bisexual.
Old 04-05-04, 08:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet

But, basically, if you got their CD "Pop! The First 20 Hits" you'd have a party right there.
how very true

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Right Said Fred: "I'm Too Sexy"
and Fred's other Don't Talk Just Kiss

Diana Ross I'm Coming Out
M People One Night in Heaven
Texas When We are Together
Placebo Taste in Men
Kylie Minogue More More More
Steps Deeper Shade of Blue
Groove Armada If Everybody Looked The Same
Mighty Dub Katz (AKA Fatboy Slim) Magic Carpet Ride
Blur Girls and Boys
Lil' Louis and the World French Kiss
Green Velvet - Answering Machine
Sam Phillips These Boot Are Made For Walking
Moloko - Bring it Back
Snap - Rhythm is a Dancer
Crystal Waters Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless).
Shamen - Move Any Mountain
Technotronic - Pump Up the Jams
Gloria Estefan - Everlasting Love
Salt 'n Pepa - "Push it" or "Let's Talk About Sex"
Ce Ce Peniston - Finally
Lisa Stansfield - All Around the World
Cher - Do You Believe in Love (After Love)
Sunscreem Love U More
Alicia Bridges - I Love the Nightlife
Rick Astley Together Forever
Michael Jackson Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Taylor DayneTell It to My Heart
Blondie Heart of Glass
Pebbles - Girlfriend
TLC Creep
Janet Jackson Nasty
Olivia Newton John - Xanadu
Pet Shop Boys - Go West/ "I will Survive" mixed with "It's A Sin"
Dee-lite Groove is in the Heart

Last edited by Giles; 04-05-04 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LiquidSky
Ugh! I'm a gay guy and not into much of the music that has been listed. I like Yaz and The B-52's (which had three gay guys not two).

Sorry man, although he is quite cute, to my knowledge (and I'm sure I heard it from the man himself in an interview) Keith Strickland is not gay - Fred is and Ricky was..
Old 04-05-04, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Giles
how very true

and Fred's other Don't Talk Just Kill

Also check out "Mr Wonderman" from their second album "Sex and Travel" - a subtle way of telling someone to "FARK OFF!"

Classic party album with very happy tunes.
Old 04-05-04, 12:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by redhenry
I think you mean "Don't Talk Just Kiss" :-)

Also check out "Mr Wonderman" from their second album "Sex and Travel" - a subtle way of telling someone to "FARK OFF!"

Classic party album with very happy tunes.
haha! didn't notice I slipped on the spelling there - corrected.
Old 04-05-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry man, although he is quite cute, to my knowledge (and I'm sure I heard it from the man himself in an interview) Keith Strickland is not gay - Fred is and Ricky was..
Interesting since he had gay pride stickers on his guitar last time I saw them......
Old 04-05-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
Old 04-05-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting since he had gay pride stickers on his guitar last time I saw them......
I've seen people that support gay pride with ephemera that aren't gay.
Old 04-05-04, 03:08 PM
Banned

Did everyone just COMPLETELY forget about Madonna???
Old 04-05-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Did everyone just COMPLETELY forget about Madonna???
Gay guys like Madonna?
Old 04-05-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The other day I saw two gay guys that were very disappointed that Britney Spears cancelled her concert.
Old 04-05-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
The other day I saw two gay guys that were very disappointed that Britney Spears cancelled her concert.
Too bad she has not cancelled her entire tour.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 04-05-04 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 03:23 PM
Banned

That no-talent skank is "performing" here this summer.
Well...i'm seeing madonna twice. Was all i could afford or else I would go more. A friend is going 14 times. Last time I saw him, he was still paying off his credit card bill from the Drowned World tour....

But i digress...
Old 04-05-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well...i'm seeing madonna twice. Was all i could afford or else I would go more. A friend is going 14 times. Last time I saw him, he was still paying off his credit card bill from the Drowned World tour....

But i digress...
I can see two or three times but fourteen times on one tour?
Old 04-05-04, 03:30 PM
Banned

I can see two or three times but fourteen times on one tour?
I could see 14 times IF (and it's a big if) I had the time and income, didn't have a life, she was doing a different set list each night...AND it wasn't going to be on HBO.

But i'd like to go once more...methinks. Wanna take me, Liquid?

*bats eyelashes*
Old 04-05-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But i'd like to go once more...methinks. Wanna take me, Liquid?

*bats eyelashes*
Okay....the Atlanta show is the closest for me......
Old 04-05-04, 03:44 PM
Banned

Okay....the Atlanta show is the closest for me......
Baby, it's ON! I'm gettin' my gold tiara on as we speak. I'll be in ATLANTA, YA'LL!!!!

Sorry for thread-jacking. When you see me all done up, you'll forgive
Old 04-05-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Baby, it's ON! I'm gettin' my gold tiara on as we speak. I'll be in ATLANTA, YA'LL!!!!

Sorry for thread-jacking. When you see me all done up, you'll forgive
I've pulled a few strings...after the show: you, "Madge", and I will go to Swinging Richards (gay male strip club).
Old 04-05-04, 03:54 PM
Banned

HEY!

She prefers "Mo" thank you very much.

And I've met Richard.

Nothin' swingin' about him.

And you better not be kidding. I'm showing up on your doorstep.
Old 04-05-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I were Gay by Stephen Lynch
Old 04-05-04, 07:06 PM

He *supports* Gay Pride then I would suggest....which comes as no surprise.

Just because he has the sticker doesn't mean he is gay...
Old 04-05-04, 07:07 PM

Too bad she has not cancelled her entire tour.
Why stop there. I wish she'd cancel her entire career!
Old 04-06-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He *supports* Gay Pride then I would suggest....which comes as no surprise.

Just because he has the sticker doesn't mean he is gay...
It's a cosmic thing
Keith Strickland of the B-52's holds court on the band's quirky, danceable longevity.
By GINA VIVINETTO, Times Pop Music Critic
© St. Petersburg Times
published May 29, 2003

The B-52's first caught the New York music scene's attention back in 1979 with their zany, danceable music, thrift-store-chic bouffant hairdos for the ladies and bright seersucker suits for front man Fred Schneider.

The fun was derailed for a spell when guitarist Ricky Wilson, brother of singer Cindy Wilson, died in 1985. Drummer Keith Strickland switched to guitar in an effort to keep Wilson's trademark sound alive, and the band released the 1989 hit album Cosmic Thing, introducing the fun band from Athens, Ga., to the mainstream.

From his home in Key West, Strickland, 49, answers 10 Pressing Questions about being the happiest band at New York's legendary CBGB, good Southern manners and what gay men should call their long-term boyfriends, er, partners. Beaus?

(1) Did you think when the B-52's were playing parties in Athens that this would become your career? Not at all. We didn't have any idea that it would last this long. We started out just to entertain ourselves. We were a group of friends, from a larger group of bohemians and artists in Athens. We'd crash parties and be obnoxious and dress up and be wild. People would be like (sounding disgusted), "Ugh, who invited them?" We were all interested in music, so we got together one evening to entertain ourselves and just thought, "Wow, this is great."

You're as quirky as you ever were, and the mainstream likes you that way. We were lucky to come into the music business at a time when new things were happening, the whole punk and new wave thing. We were inspired by it, by Patti Smith and the Talking Heads. We started at the same time, but we didn't go to New York until a couple of years later.

Were you the happiest band at CBGB? (Laughs) Yes, actually. Our first gig in New York was at Max's Kansas City. When we got up onstage, Fred had on a seersucker suit and a painted little pencil mustache. Kate (Pierson) and Cindy had bouffants. Ricky and I looked like college students with buttoned-down shirts and collars. We started with Planet Claire. Midway through the set, Fred said, "We're a tacky little dance band from Athens, Ga." People didn't know what to think. They were still dressed in black leather jackets and being really cool.

(2) Are there qualities about the band, or the way it operates, that are particularly Southern qualities? (Laughs) I was born in Athens. Cindy and Ricky were also from Athens. Fred and Kate were both from New Jersey before moving to Athens. It wasn't until recording Cosmic Thing that some of our Southern background, or heritage, started coming out. It has a lot of references to our life in Athens, and it has Southern qualities. But as far as how we operate, it's hard to know, what's distinctly Southern and what's just good manners? (Laughs). I'm in the South right now, in Key West. My partner, Mark, and I have a house in Key West. Does partner mean boyfriend? Yeah, well, "boyfriend" isn't a term we use. We've been together seven years. We just had our anniversary in May. I guess we're(dramatically) "life partners." It's so funny. We've discussed it, like, "What do wecall each other?" I said, "Companion?" and Mark was like, "Well, companion sounds like we're an elderly couple on a bird-watching trip."

(3) The B-52's do so much with PETA. Are you a vegetarian? I don't call myself a vegetarian anymore because I eat fish. Fred's a vegetarian.

(4) Do you recycle? Yes, yes I do. As much as the community allows. Woodstock (Strickland owns another home in New York) is really great. You can recycle just about anything. It's wonderful.

(5) Have you found the "essence from within" (a reference to the band's 1983 hit Song For a Future Generation)? (Laughs) No. I think that will always be elusive.

(6) How many times do you think you've played Rock Lobster? I don't know. Billions. (Pauses) Well, it must be thousands. We've done it at every show, literally. We actually did a festival in Atlanta, and we were getting rained out. We were told to cut the set short. It came down to, "Okay, we can only do one more song. Which do you want to hear, Rock Lobster or Love Shack?" (Laughs) That audience actually wanted to hear Rock Lobster.

(7) Do you still play the drums on your own time? I do. I have a set at home. Recently, I bought the Beatles DVD, and it hit me that Ringo . . . was just an amazing drummer. Every track was just flawless. Very understated, almost invisible at times, but so perfect for the music. Ringo Starr is one of my favorite drummers. Also, I'm really old school here, Keith Moon from the Who was just phenomenal. Sometimes I had no idea what the hell he was doing. Of course, Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones. Of the more contemporary drummers, I like Lenny Kravitz's drummer, Cindy Blackman.

(8) What is the secret to your guitar playing? Before the band started, Ricky and I were making music together. We kind of worked on the open tunings together. He did this great thing with it, playing alternate parts where it sounded like rhythm and lead at the same time. I was very comfortable with the open tunings, even before taking over the guitar after Ricky's death. Another thing is, I don't rehearse a lot. That's important for me, to keep it fresh. It helps. I like to keep it on that urgent level, where you're always kind of grasping.

(8) What are your hobbies outside of the band? It sounds like a cliche, but I am always working on music, if not for the band, then my own thing, experimenting. Playing around with sound, recording. As a kid, I drew and painted. I always said when I got around to the age I am now, I'd get back to it. I love photography and painting. Any favorites? Wow. (Pause) Well, recently I've been looking at a lot of pop artists, and James Rosenquist is one that always stands out. . . . I like Kandinsky. And the dadaists and surrealists. I'm influenced a lot by film. Fellini. I'd love to do film.

(9) Are you close with your family? Yeah. My father passed away in March. He was ill for a couple of years. I was spending a lot more time with my folks in Georgia. I have an older brother and older sister. We're all close. I'm close to Mark's family, too.

(10) So, how does one meet and begin dating a B-52? He didn't know who I was when we met, and I was a little elusive about what I did. He probably thought you were a total loser. (Laughs) Exactly. Well, he thought something was going on because I wasn't very forthcoming. But then when I told him, he understood. Mark is very secure in himself. You just have to meet the right person, and I have.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 04-06-04 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How about Jet Boy Jet Girl - The Damned
Mix in some William S. Burroughs interludes
And a nice dash of Fischerspooner - (I just picked up their album on the weekend -check it out).

Maybe also some Luna or Lenord Cohen.

Last edited by saoirse; 04-06-04 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While "It's Raining Men" is very, very, very gay, don't go for the Weather Girls version... go for the very-very-VERY gay version by GERI HALLIWELL.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.