Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The one-and-only RIAA news/discussion thread [2003 - part two]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The one-and-only RIAA news/discussion thread [2003 - part two]

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bittorrent is one of those smaller methods that has really taken an uprise as of late and goes to show you.. anyone can start a "torrent tracker" and simply host files without any fear of being really caught considering how easy it is to take one tracker down and what not.
Old 07-19-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sound's kind of fishy to me, but if it's true that really is nice of the university to be so generous haha. I guess I'd be caught red handed if I tried to swap in any of my old drives seeing as how they all had an MP3 on them at some point or another in their life. Well, I guess that depends on how well they check.
Old 07-19-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
yeah, the Universty really has no real reason why to do this other then kindness.
Old 07-19-03, 04:25 AM

Verizon, which has fought the RIAA over the subpoenas with continued
legal appeals, said it received at least 150 subpoenas during the last
two weeks. There were no subpoenas on file sent to AOL Time Warner Inc.,
the nation's largest Internet provider and also parent company of Warner
Music Group. Earthlink Inc., another of the largest Internet providers,
said it has received only three new subpoenas.
So this is about revenge against Verizon as well? Also, if you sign up with AOL you'll be safe?
Old 07-19-03, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I still can't figure out whether to be angry or laugh. This is another in a long list of stupid people who think they can stop the underground technology community from doing whatever it pleases. Even if they can slow file sharing for a while (unlikely, but maybe), it won't be for any significant period of time. If people desire it, it will return stronger than before. It always has. It always will. Not even a corporate monster like the RIAA has the power to stop that. They can sue a hundred thousand people, and it won't change anything. It certainly isn't going to make me, or anyone else, go out and buy more CDs than currently. The whole thing is just laughable.

das
Old 07-19-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Plus, it's their way of telling the RIAA that they have better things to do than be pseudo-police for them.
Old 07-19-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
wow - I'd be like "Hmm... how about... no. Not without a warrant, pal." i'd fight tooth and nail before letting them check my hard drive. That's an invasion of privacy. Whether I had mp3s on it or not.
Old 07-19-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Why not just a second drive? I have my OS and programs on a 10 gig. And my music on a separate 45 gig. Just unplug the 45 and poof! no bootleg music. But then again 90% of mine are rips from my 600+ cd collection. If someone is going to come over to search my computer, they can search through the closet first to see the amount of discs I have.
Old 07-19-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by troystiffler
That's the very least of my wories. I own around 200 CD's, and have only lost/broken a few over the past ten years. However, I've pretty much STOPPED buying CD's at Best Buy. Why? Because right now, mainstream music is really in the pits. I mean, excluding a few, EVERYONE is HORRIBLE. I've had to resort to buying from indie labels.

In my opinion, Radiohead, Weezer, and Pete Yorn, along with a couple hip-hop artists, are the only good 'pop' artists out there. And now, even Weezer is getting a little odd.

I'll stick to my Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel, Mirah, Microphones, Portastatic...you get the point....CD's until popular artists start putting out good albums again.
psst...Modest Mouse is on Sony/Epic.
Old 07-19-03, 04:00 PM

I heard people from the RIAA like to have sex with zebras.
Old 07-19-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
wow - I'd be like "Hmm... how about... no. Not without a warrant, pal." i'd fight tooth and nail before letting them check my hard drive. That's an invasion of privacy. Whether I had mp3s on it or not.
agreed about looking on someone's computer, but if you are in a dorm, I imagine they have every right to look in your room.
Old 07-19-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,92351,00.html

800+ already done and at an average of 75 per day... even at this rate it seems like the chances of winning the lotto are bigger then getting caught unless you are a really big fish. Imagen how many folks download per day compared to only 75 per day..
Old 07-19-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,92351,00.html

871 already set out, another 75 per day.. with the amount of folks who download per day.. the chances of you getting caught really doesn't seem likely. again, the second hard drive idea might be the best.
Old 07-19-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by fallow
psst...Modest Mouse is on Sony/Epic.
Just one, plus the new one coming out in two months.
Old 07-19-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sebastianv50
I heard people from the RIAA like to have sex with zebras.
If by zebras you mean one hundred dollar bills, then yes, you are correct.
Old 07-20-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they want to sell more CD's, just lower the damn prices. No way I'm paying 20 bucks for something I can get for free. 10 bucks, I'd probably pay.

Supply and demand.
Old 07-20-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Imagine how many more CD's would be sold if they started going for eight dollars each.
Old 07-20-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know something. I took Economics 101. On the first day we learned this principle:

If you have a product and you want to sell it, you set the price at what you think consumers are wiling to pay. If consumers aren't willing to pay that price, what do you do? You either give them a different product they are willing to pay for or you lower the price.

We also learned that different things can affect the market. Just because something sells right now doesn't mean it will five or ten years, or even 6 months from now. Changing tastes, technology, war, famine, recession all affect the marketplace. So you have to adapt your business models to fit the market you live in.

This is all basic economic principles. The thing that has affected CD sales are...

a) Changing tastes. People are moving away from buying CD's and going toward other forms of entertainment. DVD's, video games, the internet ( not mentioning downloading for a moment), movies, etc. If consumers don't think that CD's are a good entertainment value they will not buy them. And that's exactly what has happened. Example: I bought the Matrix on DVD recently for $9.99. That's a 2 hour 20 minute movie with another hour of bonus material. That's 3 hours and 20 minutes of entertainment. For $17.99 I could have bought a CD. With no bonus material and possibley 12 tracks on it. Factor the tracks I don't listen to, and you have approximately 12-15 minutes of entertainment. Gee, which one do you think is the better value?

and....
b) Technology has impacted the marketplace irrevocably. It used to be the only means for reproducing CD were in the hands of the record labels. Now that everyone has a CD burner in their computer, and that consumers are relatively skilled at using this technology, it has sent the industry into a panic mode. As Boris Badenov would say, "The jig is up!!. The RIAA was naive to think that they could keep technology out of the hands of consumers forever.

The industry now desperately needs to adapt to what's happening. Instead they are clinging to an antiquated business model that supports corporate excess and doesn't reward the creators for their original work. They could have easily set up a system, much like I-Tunes right now, that would have benefitted all partys involved. But that would save time, money and make sense. Something the music industry has never been known for. Suing people into poverty is not the answer. Like I said before all they are going to do is alienate their consumer base. And as a result, file trading will become more covert and more technologically advanced.

You reap what you sow.
Old 07-20-03, 12:16 PM

Great post Captain Harlock.

The RIAA really droped the ball when it comes to the whole file shareing subject. If they would have embraced this technolagy a long time ago, they wouldn't be in the alleged(sp) mess they are in now. They missed thier chance to controle(as well as monopalize ) it a long time ago, back before it bacame wide spread. Instead the flood gates have opened. There is no way to stop it now. Maybe they need to start pointing fingers at who was running the show for them, back then. Seems to me somebody has made a bad buisness decision, and it is now starting to bite them in the ass.

As for the price of CD's. I have another example from the DVD dept. The Heavy Metal band Iron Maiden put out a kind of greatest hits CD, with 16 songs on it, not long ago. At a local retail chain it goes for $17.99. The same band also, just this month, put out a double DVD package with over 30 of thier music videos on it. It is priced at $14.99 in the very same store. This is yet another no brainer as to which you would buy, if you were an Iron Maiden fan. How can the RIAA justify the cost of CD's, when there are DVD's running around priced like that. To be able to get over 30 videos, as oposed to 16 songs, for $3 less, in my opinion, makes it hard for the RIAA to justify the priceing of CD's. Yet they still hold firm, and the cost has not come down.
Old 07-20-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ya know, I hadn't really thought of that before, but the same thing happened when I bought Dream Theater's Live Scenes From New York DVD. The DVD was $19.99 at Best Buy and includes the entire concert plus a documentary and behind-the-scenes footage. The CD, which only contains the audio, was selling for $24.99 in the same store. I'm a big fan, so I bought both, and didn't buy either at Best Buy since I could get them cheaper elsewhere, but for the casual consumer, who's going to buy an over-priced CD when he can get more content at a lower price on the DVD?

das
Old 07-20-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's what I've been saying for sometime. CD's are a medium that has lasting power and will still be popular, but for the price, folks are just not willing to sell out all that cash. the RIAA should have adapted to a new buisness method for the changes. Apple has some good idea's. folks now a days don't care about a full album if their is only a few good songs. so you either make sure you get 100% good songs on an album by bettering the quality of music and then you will see an increase in CD sells.. that is if it is priced right. I think folks see that DVD's are priced pretty low... and comparing the two, you just have to wonder why a CD couldn't be priced lower and just go with the dvd. It's more bang for the buck.
Old 07-20-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
A new version of "Kazaa Lite," free software that provides access to the service operated by Sharman Networks Ltd., can prevent anyone from listing all music files on an individual's machine and purports to block scans from Internet addresses believed to be associated with the RIAA.

Hmmm I wonder if this is true?
Old 07-20-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They showed it on Tech TV. It kept anyone from being able to find anything when someone selected to view all files of this user- it worked when they showed it.

Technology moves faster than jerks.

I agree with the CD/DVD issue- it never made much sense to charge so much for CDs, but seeing how cheap DVDs are makes it that much more obvious that the public is being ripped off.

The teen pop stuff was a big seller a few years ago, now it doesn't seem to be doing as well- and even more music has entered that realm of bland self-love. When I hear a song I like on the radio I can't help but think that I will hear that song over and over again for the next several months (or longer). Any interest I have in a song at first almost always turns into annoyance after hearing it so much. At this point I rarely listen to the radio and typically just listen to new music on recommendation or if it is made by someone I already enjoy. Inferior quality and over-pricing have hurt music sales- I cannot imagine why the RIAA refuses to acknowledge that nor can I see what they hope to accomplish by alienating music fans. I can understand wanting to protect their product, but it really seems like they are hurting their product by pretending that this is the fault downloaders when they have made so many errors and so many other companies have been suffering recently.
Old 07-20-03, 09:53 PM
Banned

I live in NYC...Have Cable internet with TWC...A friend of mine got subpoena'd........Im petrified Im next...what is likely to happen to him?

Thx
Old 07-20-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unfortunately, these jack-offs at the RIAA are hurting the best part of file-sharing. I've become exposed to numerous bands I'd never even heard of before (or never considered listening to) through "view files from this user" style features. I'd find a guy with a bunch of stuff I liked, and then see what else he had that I hadn't heard before. Chances are I'd find something new and exciting and end up dropping cash on their albums.

Good job, RIAA ... which of the two A's stands for Asshat?

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.