Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

the grammy discussion thread (and a list of performers)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

the grammy discussion thread (and a list of performers)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the links guys, but I was wondering there was a site that listed winners and nominees for all of the years (not just 2003, if "all of the years" make sense")

Thanks again.
Old 02-23-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to put on record that I saw Norah Jones live when she was the opening act for someone.. before anybody knew who she was!

Now her concert tickets are 50 dollars each (!). Good for her, but bad for us little fans!

But really, rant aside, congratulations to Norah and her band, all great artists I've had the opportunity to see many times live.
Old 02-23-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so happy about norah jones....however, looks like CBS *****ed up on the broadcast. i didnt even realize it was the final category until the guy said goodnight!
Old 02-23-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Coldplay just came on on the west coast, and I must say, that was incredible.
Old 02-23-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I really enjoyed the performances by Vanessa Carlton, John Mayer, and James Taylor. Mayer's performance was the best of the three just him and his guitar. to John Mayer on winning a grammy. I was kinda upset that Norah Jones won Album of the Year. It's a pretty good album. I just appreciate albums where the artist writes the majority of the songs more. She only wrote two songs and cowrote another. Faith Hill sounded awful. I think her career is going down the drain.

Last edited by lwhy?; 02-23-03 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-24-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was it me or did the Grammy set look cheap? I guess I'm just used to the MTV Video Awards
Old 02-24-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman Faith Hill looked great, <small>but sounded awful</small>
I agree with you on that one.

Originally posted by Thumbs pics of Sheryl Crow in a black dress?
Old 02-24-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What the hell kind of tux was that on Avril?
Old 02-24-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did John Mayer looked like he got cut off in the middle of his song?
Old 02-24-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I don't really consider Norah Jones to be "Pop"?

The Grammys need an "Easy Listening" category for performers like Norah.

Why don't the voters spread the love around, it gets totally boring to watch the same person sweep up, and are never heard from again.
Old 02-24-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I almost skipped the show last night because I thought it would be just another boring night. Glad I watched. I thought the lighting and effects behind the musicians was really well done throughout. Like when the Dixie Chicks were singing they had this cool rain effect on the floor. And the green effects behind Coldplay worked as well.

I started watching the show 90 minutes after it began and fast forwarded through half the musical acts after a few seconds (can't stomach Faith Hill, Ashanti, Nsync or Avril). I thought some of the performances were great. The Joe Strummer tribute was fun to watch... Springsteen is always enjoyable to me... that was actually the first time I ever heard the Dixie Chicks do "Landslide" and I have to say that it's the first time I have EVER liked something they did. Same for Eminem. I'm not a fan of thug crap, but I liked the song he did last night.

They give out awards? Oh yeah. Means so much to me! haha Good for Norah and good for the Grammys.
Old 02-24-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Maybe it's just me, but I don't really consider Norah Jones to be "Pop"?
she doesn't either! she made the same comment when she won for pop album. she sadi something like she still can't believe her tunes are considered popular music.
same thing as when jack nicholson won best actor in a dramatic performance at the golden globes. he said he was mostly surprised b/c he thought they had made a comedy.
Old 02-24-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Norah Jones who?

More proof that the Grammys are utterly irrelevant.
Old 02-24-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by grunter
Norah Jones who?
Old 02-24-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by grunter
Norah Jones who?

More proof that the Grammys are utterly irrelevant.
Completely untrue. Norah Jones is a very talented musician, and I'm just as surprised as she is that she made it so far in mainstream music. That's simply because she's not what's been the going thing for the past several years.

Given the Grammys last night, I think it's an understatement to say that there has definitely been a turn toward singer/songwriter stuff, and I'm sure you, like me, are a bit disappointed that other singer/songwriters didn't make it to this point.

However, I'm happy she won so many things. It's about time that somebody wins for talent and not sex appeal/image.

The fact that people like Ashanti and the Foo Fighters were nominated for Grammys is actually what is "more proof that the Grammys are utterly irrelevant." Now you leave Norah alone!

But I still can't believe Wilco didn't get even one grammy nod.
Old 02-24-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please someone tell me when they find a movie file of the Simon and Garfunkel performance. Thanks.
Old 02-24-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Penny Lane
Completely untrue. Norah Jones is a very talented musician, and I'm just as surprised as she is that she made it so far in mainstream music. That's simply because she's not what's been the going thing for the past several years.

Given the Grammys last night, I think it's an understatement to say that there has definitely been a turn toward singer/songwriter stuff, and I'm sure you, like me, are a bit disappointed that other singer/songwriters didn't make it to this point.

However, I'm happy she won so many things. It's about time that somebody wins for talent and not sex appeal/image.

The fact that people like Ashanti and the Foo Fighters were nominated for Grammys is actually what is "more proof that the Grammys are utterly irrelevant." Now you leave Norah alone!

But I still can't believe Wilco didn't get even one grammy nod.
I can understand the Ashanti comment, but ripping on The Foo Fighters??
Old 02-24-03, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Obey The D
I can understand the Ashanti comment, but ripping on The Foo Fighters??
Um, yeah. They haven't put out anything good since The Color and the Shape. They are mediocre, at best, and they get attention from the Grammys while better rock bands get to sit at home. It bothers me.

For a funny commentary on the Grammys, check this out: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/030224.html

I don't agree with everything he says, but it's still pretty hilarious.
Old 02-24-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Orignally posted by Penny Lane
The fact that people like Ashanti and the Foo Fighters were nominated for Grammys is actually what is "more proof that the Grammys are utterly irrelevant."
...and later...
They are mediocre, at best, and they get attention from the Grammys while better rock bands get to sit at home. It bothers me.
Hey! thems fightin' words missy.
Old 02-24-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Best Performances:

Coldplay
Bruce Springstreet and the E Street Band
The tribute to The Clash
Eminem

didn't see Simon and Garfunkel, but I am sure it was great. Bastard slowpokes on the highway.

Absolute worst:

Ashanti
Avril Lavigne
Nelly and Kelly
N Sync (a disgrace to The Bee Gees) I almost turned the tv off.

The others were just okay or mildly interesting.
Old 02-24-03, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Hey! thems fightin' words missy.
Hey, you forgot the part where I said, "They haven't put out anything good since The Color and the Shape. "

Bring it.
Old 02-24-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Foo Fighters are okay. This past record was better than a lot of the other junk they released, but they won in the wrong category.

The Grammys are infamous for placing acts in the wrong categories.
Old 02-24-03, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Why don't the voters spread the love around, it gets totally boring to watch the same person sweep up, and are never heard from again.
Because it is not a popularity contest (see The People's Choice awards for that). It's to honor what the members of the Academy percieve to be the best of the nominees.
Old 02-24-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I find Norah Jones extremely sexy. I've been smitten with her ever since I saw first saw the video for "Don't Know Why" on VH1 ages ago.
Old 02-24-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

alright, the Grammy's were cheating alittle bit for there eligibilty. I think the record or cd must have been released before sept 30, but the Robin Williams cd was released in November, why did he get nominated or win best comedy recording?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.