Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Which is the number one overrated band/artist?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Which is the number one overrated band/artist?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I nominate 95% of the people at the MTV VMAs?
Old 08-30-02, 01:21 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Rogue588
Can I nominate 95% of the people at the MTV VMAs?
Hell I'll nominate 100% of em
Old 08-30-02, 10:43 PM
Banned

Without a doubt THE most overrated bitch to enter the music scene has to be Barbara Streissand(sp?). I cannot even fathom what it is about her "music" that has garnered such a ridiculously loyal following. At least Madonna's songs were *somewhat* catchy and cool to just kick back and listen to.

Her overrated male counterpart? Definitely The Boss, Bruce Springsteen

Honorable mentions:
Nirvana
Prodigy
Oasis
Elton John

...and just about all the one hit wonder, no talent, wannabe grunge/alternative bands KROQ played during the early to late 90s, while doing a complete 180 and betraying it's loyal listeners who grew up listening to the bands the station was known for...like Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, The Cure, etc. Pretty much all those grunge American bands sucked except for Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, and NIN. The British owns j00

And I'm not going to even touch the boy bands/rappers/r&b/ issue.

I absolutely love the Clash. Have all their albums (and the boxset). "Straight to Hell" is a perennial choice for my mix-discs ("see me got photo-photo-photograph of you and mama-mama-mama-san, of you and mama-mama-mama-san").
Ahh, a man with good taste. Thanks for reciting that cool line from one of my favorite Clash songs of all time. Joe Strummer is possibly the greatest song writer from the late 70's to present, along with Matt Johnson and Bono. Just listen to songs such as Charlie Don't Surf, This is Radio Clash, Corner Soul, and Broadway and the above mentioned track Straight to Hell to hear what good song writing is all about.

But enough of that....

The most overrated would have to U2.
Henry Rollins said it best about them (I'll paraphrase here).....here's this guy Bono, he's backed by the worst rhythm section in the history of rock n' roll. The drummer can't drum. The bass player can't play bass. The guitar player knows one riff. And here's this utter buffoon of a lead singer who's so self important he actually thinks his lyrics are changing the world. And when he writes a song like "How I Look At The World" that just tells you "I have nothing left to say".

that about says it all
:ROTFL: :ROTFL: Is Captain Harlock a troll?

U2 was a great bad until their post-"Achtung Baby" era. Since then, their music has consistently sucked, and Bono's ego has inflated beyond the size of Jupiter (who the hell is this jackass to tell us to forgive third world debt?).
LMAO...watchout! I think Turd Ferguson and Captain Harlock are one and the same!

You are aware that those you mentioned are some of their early songs, right? Ya know, they did record material after "She Loves You". To name just a few...

In My Life
Tomorrow Never Knows
Rain
A Day in the Life
Strawberry Fields Forever
Eleanor Rigby
Revolution
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Hey Jude
Across the Universe
Let it Be
Something

Yeah, I'm gonna go out on limb here and say that these are more meaningful than anything coming from the boy bands (oops, I mean their songwriters) today. How's that for a break? And yes, "She Loves You", "I Want to Hold Your Hand", and "Can't Buy Me Love" are still great songs, no matter how you wanna compare them to anything else.
Agreed 100%

Any argument that The Beatles are overrated is choosing to ignore the sheer number of artists that acknowledge The Beatles as a primary influence. It's choosing to ignore the number of #1 albums and singles. It's choosing to ignore how different their sound was in their first album and their last album, and the number of changes that occurred in between as well as the number of bands that came about following up on any of those various sounds.
I rest my case. You can close the thread now.
Old 08-31-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Ky-Fi
U2--Well, I must admit I haven't cared for much of their stuff after 1985. But to describe Bono as a self-important egomaniac is about as far from the truth as you could get, IMO. I think there's very few rock stars who are as grounded as him, and who fully comprehend the utter ridiculousness of rock stars having such an elevated place in society--in fact, making fun of being a rock star has been his shtick for about 10 years now (hmm.... on an artistic level he might want to give that a rest ) I respect him a lot for using his position to try to help other people, and not just indulge himself. And, if you listen to him talk about the issues---he's done his homework and can talk in detail about the subject. You may disagree with him, but it's not like listening to your usual saphead rock star talk about their cause-of-the-week.
Old 08-31-02, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
IF tool was a one hit wonder, it would be with schisim not sober (never heard it before)
"Sober" was definitely a bigger hit that "Schism," regardless of whether you ever heard it.
Old 08-31-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, maybe i have heard it but our station only announces tool when they are playing either schisim or the new one parabola.
Old 09-01-02, 04:57 PM
Suspended pending providing a good e-mail address to [email protected]

I always though Phil Collins was way overrated. In the late 80's he had a new song in the top 40 each week. I could never figure out what people liked about him so much. After Genesis, I thought he went downhill. Peter Gabriel didn't have as much stuff as Phil and definitely wasn't on the radio, but I thought he had so much more innovation.
Old 09-03-02, 01:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
See we are all in agreement that Tool is overrated?
No, it's just you.
Old 09-03-02, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Bass God
No, it's just you.
Agreed wholeheartedly
Old 09-03-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, this is a long thread... I'll add my 2 cents to some things talked about...

DMB - Horrible, it sounds like he's singing with a sock in his mouth, weird "artsy" music for people who think they want to pretend they know about music, but don't have a clue.

Radiohead - good mother of god, make it stop. The most god aweful music I have ever heard. and yes... I have listened to OK Computer and Kid A, many of my friends swear Radiohead is the greatest thing in music ever, and I just don't get it at all... it's slow, boring, whiney, there's no melody or song structure that I can hear, the lead singers voice makes fingernails on a chalkboard sound good.

Tool - Tool is great if you like bands where the guy stands in one place and mumbles at the floor about how depressed he is. I agree with the guy who said Quiet Riot is better than Tool... because they are.

Nirvana - I agree, they are crap.

The Doors - how did they get popular?? Jim Morrison can't sing, he just mumbles, the band is really that talented and they have this church organ in their music that is just the worst. The Chruch Organ solo in "light my fire" is one of the most annoying sounds I have ever heard in my life. and would people stop saying he's "The American Poet"! Getting wacked out on drugs and writting down a bunch of crap that doesn't make any sense doesn't make you a poet.

Metallica - Their first few albums were ok, but I think they are way overrated... There were several bands from the same school of 80's Thrash Metal that Metallica came from (Testament, Savatage and Overkill to name a few) that was just as talented, if not better and DIDN'T sell out.

GnR - Most of the "Hair" bands from the late 80's early 90's were really great... and to their credit they kept going through the grunge era of the 90's with most their original members and putting out new albums (even if nobody knew about it because Bush and Pearl Jam was on the radio) and almost all of them have survived to this day while most of the 90's grunge bands came and went and died. Warrant, Ratt, Dokken, LA Guns, Poison, Cinderella, Great White, Slaughter, Firehouse, Tesla and many more all still around, touring to sold out "house of blues" shows and putting out new albums with for the most part, their original line-ups close to intact. But who gets talked about the most and gets to play on MTV?? the overrated GnR, who haven't done a thing for over 10 years and doesn't have any of their original members and Axl sounds like crap. go figure.

here's one nobody has said...
REM - could they be the worst?? Michael Stipes voice is so whiney and annoying.
Old 09-03-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think a Jaguaro represenative has infiltrated the forum... Just kidding.
Old 09-03-02, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by turborobb
Tool - Tool is great if you like bands where the guy stands in one place and mumbles at the floor about how depressed he is. I agree with the guy who said Quiet Riot is better than Tool... because they are.
Name 1 song where Maynard talks about how depressed he is? Or are you just acting like you know something about this band possibly?
Old 09-03-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A quick thread recap....

"The most over rated band is [insert your favorite band here].

They suck, and all members of [insert your favorite band here] are a bunch of no talent hacks. True, I've only heard one or two of their songs, but that is definitely enough to form the most important opinion of everyone in this forum.

I don't even like that genre of music, but if I did, I'm sure that those guys would be the worst of those types of bands.

Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously doesn't know crap about anything, and they aren't nearly as cool or as informed about music as I am."

In all seriousness, can we just let this thread die already?