Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Which is the number one overrated band/artist?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Which is the number one overrated band/artist?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Dave Matthews (voice like a bad Muppet)
Rush (see above)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (just plain bad)
Tool (one hit wonder... Sober)
Radiohead (one hit wonder... Creep)
Old 08-26-02, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Tool is really overrated.
Hardly, just listen to Aenima. From the lines paying due to the great Bill Hicks to that track with the pounding of sheet metal, the album is a full-fledged masterpiece.
Old 08-26-02, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GuessWho
Red Hot Chili Peppers (just plain bad)

#1 Red Hot Chili Peppers are good. Aside from being one of the best of the funk-rap hybrid bands of the 80's, they've evolved and grown into an eclectic, melodic, and terrific pop-rock band. Listen to Uplift Mofo Party Plan and By the Way

#2 Regarding Tool, read my last post.

#3 It's sad that you associate musical credibility with the number of "hits" a band has had. As for Radiohead, "Creep" is still probably their most played song on today's lousy radio stations, but to undermine them for that is pathetic. Listen to The Bends, OK Computer, and KID A to hear some of the best music of the past few years.

Last edited by Bass God; 08-26-02 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize that I should have these two bands grouped with Flock of Seagulls.
Old 08-26-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gilbertr76
I didn't realize that I should have these two bands grouped with Flock of Seagulls.
truth hurts.
Old 08-26-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you sure you know the definition of this term?
Old 08-26-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, and Sober is the only one I can remember hitting the Billboard Top 40 singles chart, if it even made it that high at all
Old 08-26-02, 04:04 PM
Suspended

one hit wonder...to who?

Lets see here, Sober was released I believe in 94 or 95. The year is now 2002, and I defy you to goto any Tool show and see any kind of empty seats, even at a stadium.

If your going by MTV to dictate Tools success....then you are WAAAAAYYYY off my friend.
Old 08-26-02, 04:09 PM
Suspended

Yeah, and Sober is the only one I can remember hitting the Billboard Top 40 singles chart, if it even made it that high at all
Tool is not a singles band...they make albums....weird concept huh?

Opiate (EP): certified gold jan 12 1996
Undertow: certified double platinum may 14 2001
Aenima: certified double platinum aug 03 1999
Lateralus: certified platinum jun 19 2001 also

Yep they sure are a one hit wonder
Old 08-26-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kiss
Aerosmith
Ozzy(not BS)
Nickleback
DMB
Creed
Puddle of Mudd
Moby
Nelly
any Boy Band
Old 08-26-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never denied they've sold a lot of albums, but the term "one hit wonder" does, and has always, related to songs.
Old 08-26-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gilbertr76
A Flock of Seagulls technically had two hits: I Ran and Space Age Love Song.

That being said, I fully concur with Radiohead and Tool being among the most over-rated bands out there. But the application of "one-hit" wonder status, whether true or not, is irrelevant. I find it hard to swallow that a band like Joy Division could be considered a "one-hit" wonder, over-rated band based on their only successful single, Love Will Tear Us Apart. Oi!

Cheers,

-matt
Old 08-26-02, 05:04 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
I never denied they've sold a lot of albums, but the term "one hit wonder" does, and has always, related to songs.
</small>As a result of witnessing this interchange I am left wondering the point of using the term in this context....

.... I once once used it with regard to Pink Floyd, another predominantly album-oriented band, but I was aware of the irony.
Old 08-26-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by raithen

2. Radiohead - the first two albums were wonderful. Everything since has been an excercise in whiny, pretentious shite.
How is something "whiny" and "pretentious" at the same time? That doesn't make any sense to me.

At least Radiohead isn't like Oasis, "We are bigger than The Beatles." Riiiiiiight.

I think Radiohead hasn't had a "hit" off of either Kid A or Amnesiac because, let's face it, songs like that just don't suit well with MTV and (most) commercial radio. However, off of their third album, OK Computer, I do believe that "Paranoid Android" and "Karma Police" did get a fair amount of air play.

I've never said that Radiohead was the "second-coming" but I do enjoy their music more than...well anything!...on commercial radio right now. Sorry some of you are missing out because you get caught up in dogmatic fans and MTV.
Old 08-26-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For me:

Bruce Springsteen
The Rolling Stones

I actually bought #1's and gave it away not knowing what I was thinking when I bought it.

The Beatles
Old 08-26-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And apparently is the end all, be all of the worth of a band. But using any other metric than the Adult Contemporary Top 40, Tool is not a one hit wonder anyway.
Old 08-26-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah

If that's a real objective fact, I find it pretty sad and underwhelming.

Did they get sainted along the way? How about cure cancer?

I don't doubt that you mean what you say, but it just sounds (to me) like more of the "The Beatles are the greatest...no, really, they ARE!!!!" voluntary P.R. repetition I have heard throughout my life. It's like the old "appeal to authority" fallacy of argument. When I look at Rock 'N Roll artists, what matters to me is my appreciation for the musical legacy they have / have not left behind. My 10-cent theory: The Beatles' legacy has been inflated and pumped full of hot air by people who have sentimental attachments to their era, as well as people who have been indocrinated afterwards.

I own Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road and like them a lot, and will probably pick up Revolver and Rubber Soul and "The White Album" one of these years, but I doubt very much that those records are going to supplant music I have heard already from both the Beatles' era and after it which is just as, if not more, relevant and important.
I think this quote says it all;

" I think Sgt. Pepper's is probably the most distinctive event in pop music's brief history. It marked the point where the Beatles stopped being ritualistic dance music and became music to be listened to

Wilfred Mellers
Musicologist, Oxford University
Old 08-26-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't understand how Rush could ever be considered overrated. They have had a lot of gold albums but they get almost zero airplay, and what does get played is usually off Moving Pictures. They are never getting into the hall of fame, and everwhere I go I find people who's reaction to Rush is "yuck"

If you don't like them fine, but they are by no means overated.
Old 08-27-02, 01:02 AM
Banned

And your point is? As someone else has already pointed out, you are going to MTV and the top 40 chart to determine a band's success.... and that is truly pathetic and depressing. Here's hoping that one day you learn to look past this attitude of "what's sold well and what hasn't" and learn to listen to all kinds of music on some kind of pragmatic level and appreciate it on it's own terms. "Hit singles" or not.
Old 08-27-02, 11:14 AM

Once again, I would like to take this opportunity to state my opinion that the most overrated band is....

The Beatles, of course...

Why... because no band is deserving of the level of ass-kissing they have received over the years
Old 08-27-02, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by krankins2

Why... because no band is deserving of the level of ass-kissing they have received over the years
The Beatles are. Deal with it.
Old 08-27-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jim_cook87
The Clash had a Top Ten album and single before Nirvana was even a dream. But really pointless as 'grunge' may have drawn on 'punk' for influence but Nirvana was not 'punk'. The Clash was punk.
Yes, the Clash was punk - but the songs that brought them popular success most assuredly were not.

"Should I Stay or Should I Go?" owes more to the burgeoning rockabilly movement of that era than to the "piss-off" attitude of "Unca" Johnny and the Pistols. And as for "Rock the Casbah" -- file that under 80s novelty tune right next to "Whip It" and "She Blinded Me With Science."

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the Clash. Have all their albums (and the boxset). "Straight to Hell" is a perennial choice for my mix-discs ("see me got photo-photo-photograph of you and mama-mama-mama-san, of you and mama-mama-mama-san"). But they didn't "break punk" to the mainstream the way Nirvana did.
Old 08-28-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Beatles---I'm not a gigantic fan, but I think their tunes had an unbelievably fantastic and unique mix of pure hooks and a slight dark edge. Even their early bubble-gum pop had a vaguely deep "rock" undertone that other bands could never duplicate.

Nirvana--again, not a huge fan, but their music does stand out to me---particularly his song craftsmanship. Like the Beatles, I think he had an ear for melody and songwriting that set him above his peers.

U2--Well, I must admit I haven't cared for much of their stuff after 1985. But to describe Bono as a self-important egomaniac is about as far from the truth as you could get, IMO. I think there's very few rock stars who are as grounded as him, and who fully comprehend the utter ridiculousness of rock stars having such an elevated place in society--in fact, making fun of being a rock star has been his shtick for about 10 years now (hmm.... on an artistic level he might want to give that a rest ) I respect him a lot for using his position to try to help other people, and not just indulge himself. And, if you listen to him talk about the issues---he's done his homework and can talk in detail about the subject. You may disagree with him, but it's not like listening to your usual saphead rock star talk about their cause-of-the-week.
Old 08-28-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IF tool was a one hit wonder, it would be with schisim not sober (never heard it before) and there are a healthy number of songs from radiohead on the radio.
Old 08-29-02, 03:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

See we are all in agreement that Tool is overrated?

What about Metallica?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.