Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Which is the number one overrated band/artist?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Which is the number one overrated band/artist?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-02, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jim_cook87

And while Nirvana certainly was the first highly successful Seattle 'grunge' band (on the national charts) they owe their success to Soundgarden.

No...Nirvana owes a lot of their success to The Pixies. Cobain always said they copied their sound from the get-go, and the song Smells Like Teen Spirit was created from re-working the bass line to the Pixies' Gouge Away from the album Doolittle.
Old 08-23-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amen. Preach it, brother! When "Teen Spirit" first came out, I said the same thing. And Weezer copped the verse of "Undone (Sweater Song)" from the Pixies' "I Bleed", also to be found on Doolittle. Listen, it's there.
Old 08-23-02, 07:17 PM
Suspended

Here's my thing with the Beatles. If they were a new band today and released their music with todays standards, what would make them so special? I understand them being extremely influential because there was no one like them back then, but as musicians what makes them so damn great that they are always #1 on the top whatever lists?
Old 08-23-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MJKTool, in a way it's unfair to say what would the Beatles be like today if they were judged by today's standards. They turned multi-track recording on it's head. They really did do things in the studio that nobody had ever done before. Personally, I think some of what they unleashed ended up causing some pretty boring music that was worked on too much in the studio. But, these guys in their mid-period cranked out gems that are quite simply unreal when you look back on it. How they cranked out so many incredible songs so quickly is wild to me. It's just something that won't happen again.

Forget the fact that everything they did was extremely popular at the time. They were HUGE. But that isn't why I like 'em. I actually get tired of the Beatles sometimes, but they were the band that really did it for me at first. And, a lot of the punk music I like... or maybe rather punk-pop and power-pop has roots right back to the Beatles.
Old 08-23-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by atlantamoi
MJKTool, in a way it's unfair to say what would the Beatles be like today if they were judged by today's standards. They turned multi-track recording on it's head. They really did do things in the studio that nobody had ever done before. Personally, I think some of what they unleashed ended up causing some pretty boring music that was worked on too much in the studio. But, these guys in their mid-period cranked out gems that are quite simply unreal when you look back on it. How they cranked out so many incredible songs so quickly is wild to me. It's just something that won't happen again.

Forget the fact that everything they did was extremely popular at the time. They were HUGE. But that isn't why I like 'em. I actually get tired of the Beatles sometimes, but they were the band that really did it for me at first. And, a lot of the punk music I like... or maybe rather punk-pop and power-pop has roots right back to the Beatles.

not to mention the fact that they completely changed their sound, and their new sound was still great.

Most bands that change their sound drastically (ex: U2) change it for the worse, but the Beatles actually got better. That alone should put them in the top 5 of all time bands IMHO.
Old 08-24-02, 10:12 AM

Smells Like Teen Spirit was created from re-working the bass line to the Pixies' Gouge Away
Yup!

And Weezer copped the verse of "Undone (Sweater Song)" from the Pixies' "I Bleed"
Prithee my dear Andalusia!!

Here's my thing with the Beatles. If they were a new band today and released their music with todays standards
Today's standards???
You mean crap? Or Cloning? Beating the proverbial dead horse?

what would make them so special?
Other than the fact that it would blow away almost everything?
Let's take a critic's darling of now....The Strokes or Weezer... compared to even a middle of the road Beatles album....say..."Please Please Me". I belive even the critics would agree the power pop (as I'm sure they'd call it) of the Beatles is light years better than that sh***y (it only has 4 different melodies but 11 songs! And they stole those 4!) Strokes record or that Maldroit album.
Old 08-24-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, to say that the Beatles music wouldn't be considered good if they had just now arrived on the music scene... riiiight. It's hard to take anyone seriously that doesn't think the Beatles aren't up to the standards of today's music. Nu-metal? Rap-metal? Lightweight dance-pop? Creed?!? Yeah, the Beatles would really have to play catch-up with such fine sounds.
Old 08-24-02, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Yep songs like "She Loves You", "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "Cant Buy Me Love" are such more meaningful songs than any of the boy bands today....give me a break.

Im not saying the Beatles suck or are not a decent band, all Im saying is that they do not deserve to be called the Best Band of all time. THere have been many more bands thru the years who are much better song writers, musicians etc etc etc. And no I was not talking about the crap rock of today. When I said "by todays standars" I am talking about Rock history period.

Like I said, sure they are influential as hell. BUT does that make them the best band of all time? Maybe the most influential band of all time, but not the overall best band in rock history. I think people just say they are because that's....just what you say.
Old 08-24-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think people just say they are because that's....just what you say.
Well, let me say that I do disagree with this statement about the Beatles. As I said before I do get tired of them and I don't care for some of their songs, but I formed my musical taste mostly while a teenager in the 70's. I still like music being made today (love the electronica stuff) but I don't think the Beatles were one of the greatest ever just because it's the thing to say. I truly believe this... and it feels weird even trying to defend that.
Old 08-24-02, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
Yep songs like "She Loves You", "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "Cant Buy Me Love" are such more meaningful songs than any of the boy bands today....give me a break.
You are aware that those you mentioned are some of their early songs, right? Ya know, they did record material after "She Loves You". To name just a few...

In My Life
Tomorrow Never Knows
Rain
A Day in the Life
Strawberry Fields Forever
Eleanor Rigby
Revolution
While My Guitar Genty Weeps
Hey Jude
Across the Universe
Let it Be
Something

Yeah, I'm gonna go out on limb here and say that these are more meaningful than anything coming from the boy bands (oops, I mean their songwriters) today. How's that for a break? And yes, "She Loves You", "I Want to Hold Your Hand", and "Can't Buy Me Love" are still great songs, no matter how you wanna compare them to anything else.
Old 08-25-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im not saying the Beatles suck or are not a decent band, all Im saying is that they do not deserve to be called the Best Band of all time. THere have been many more bands thru the years who are much better song writers, musicians etc etc etc. And no I was not talking about the crap rock of today. When I said "by todays standars" I am talking about Rock history period.

Like I said, sure they are influential as hell. BUT does that make them the best band of all time? Maybe the most influential band of all time, but not the overall best band in rock history. I think people just say they are because that's....just what you say.
It's interesting when you say "Rock history". Most music critics AND musicians agree the moder era in rock n' roll began with the release of the single "I Want To Hold Your Hand".

To say that the Beatles are undeserving of the title "greatest of all time" is like saying that Michael Jordan was "just an above average jump shooter". The Beatles brought about so many changes in the world of not only music, but also film, art, and the recording industry itself that their influence is still shaping the world we live in. With the upcoming release of A Hard Days Night on DVD that influence will surely be felt once again.

But enough of that....

The most overrated would have to U2.
Henry Rollins said it best about them (I'll paraphrase here).....here's this guy Bono, he's backed by the worst rythm section in the history of rock n' roll. The drummer can't drum. The bass player can't play bass. The guitar player knows one riff. And here's this utter buffoon of a lead singer who's so self important he actually thinks his lyrics are changing the world. And when he writes a song like "How I Look At The World" that just tells you "I have nothing left to say".

that about says it all

Old 08-26-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock

It's interesting when you say "Rock history". Most music critics AND musicians agree the moder era in rock n' roll began with the release of the single "I Want To Hold Your Hand".
If that's a real objective fact, I find it pretty sad and underwhelming.

To say that the Beatles are undeserving of the title "greatest of all time" is like saying that Michael Jordan was "just an above average jump shooter". The Beatles brought about so many changes in the world of not only music, but also film, art, and the recording industry itself that their influence is still shaping the world we live in.
Did they get sainted along the way? How about cure cancer?

I don't doubt that you mean what you say, but it just sounds (to me) like more of the "The Beatles are the greatest...no, really, they ARE!!!!" voluntary P.R. repetition I have heard throughout my life. It's like the old "appeal to authority" fallacy of argument. When I look at Rock 'N Roll artists, what matters to me is my appreciation for the musical legacy they have / have not left behind. My 10-cent theory: The Beatles' legacy has been inflated and pumped full of hot air by people who have sentimental attachments to their era, as well as people who have been indocrinated afterwards.

I own Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road and like them a lot, and will probably pick up Revolver and Rubber Soul and "The White Album" one of these years, but I doubt very much that those records are going to supplant music I have heard already from both the Beatles' era and after it which is just as, if not more, relevant and important.
Old 08-26-02, 12:38 AM
Suspended

The drummer can't drum.
...and Ringo Starr can??
Old 08-26-02, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...and Ringo Starr can??
Yup.
Old 08-26-02, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Henry Rollins said it best about U2
Oh geez, what lameness. I like Henry Rollins (sometimes), but his quote about U2 is assinine.

I'm 37 and didn't grow up when the Beatles were still together. I was 5 when they threw in the towel. I might be one of the few people on this board who grew up listening to "classic" rock as it was actually happening but then was hit hard by the punk bug in college. I like both the Stones/Beatles AND Sex Pistols/Ramones.
I don't give a rat's patootey about the legacy of the Beatles. I just know from my own point of view they really did have a great deal to do with the way I view music. And yep, "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul" are IT for me!
Old 08-26-02, 12:22 PM
Banned

Im not saying the Beatles suck or are not a decent band, all Im saying is that they do not deserve to be called the Best Band of all time.
Yes they do. The Beatles are the standard that every band must live up to. I'd like to hear you name one album by a band in the past 5 years that you think bests albums like Revolver and The White Album.
Old 08-26-02, 12:25 PM
Banned

Henry Rollins said it best about
And I'll say it best about Henry Rollins....the guy hasn't done anything worthwhile since Black Flag.
Old 08-26-02, 12:29 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Bass God
Yes they do. The Beatles are the standard that every band must live up to. . [/B]
What standard would that be? Just because they came first does not entitle them the greatest of all time.
Old 08-26-02, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by raithen
1. Nirvana - if Kurt hadn't blown his head off would this band be as acclaimed? I think not.

2. Radiohead - the first two albums were wonderful. Everything since has been an excercise in whiny, pretentious shite.

3. The Grateful Dead - listen to the music without the drugs and what do you get? Not much.

4. Bob Dylan - Yes, he inspired countless musicians. But I honestly cannot fathom why. It's amazing what a bit of hype, critical acclaim and manipulation can do to a generation of listeners. Of course, you could throw my Beatles argument back in my face - but whatever, my opinion, whether hypocritical or not, stands!

1. I think so, yes.

2. LOL, I guess you missed OK Computer, one of the best albums of the decade. Unless you referred to it and The Bends as their "first two albums", in which case you should know that their first album is actually Pablo Honey

3. Wrong. You get nice melodies and terrific playing. Listen to American Beauty and any of Dick's Picks Live Albums

4. Cannot fathom why? Maybe it's because he happens to be the greatest songwriter of the 20th Century. Dylan's songs are like mini-movies, they are beautiful, sad, and so detailed they create images and pictures in the mind. Open your ears and listen to some of his material.
Old 08-26-02, 12:47 PM
Suspended

4. Cannot fathom why? Maybe it's because he happens to be the greatest songwriter of the 20th Century. Dylan's songs are like mini-movies, they are beautiful, sad, and so detailed they create images and pictures in the mind. Open your ears and listen to some of his material.
Its to bad he has the worst voice in the history of music.....
Old 08-26-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
Being a big fans of several of the bands listed here, I think part of the point would be to think of bands who are overrated that HAVEN'T sold a lot of albums.

To claim U2 is overrated, well they've sold crap loads of records, same with the Beatles. Now I've got every Radiohead CD, but I think they "deserve" the title more than others, Why? because plenty of people think of them as the second coming, yet they don't get the record sales to at least back up the fact that people like them.
Old 08-26-02, 02:32 PM

And I'll say it best about Henry Rollins....the guy hasn't done anything worthwhile since Black Flag.
Not true. Most of his spoken-word stuff is definitely worthwhile. He was also great in the movie The Chase.
Old 08-26-02, 02:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Tool is really overrated.
Old 08-26-02, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Tool is really overrated.
Word.

I rate them over just about everyone else in my music collection.
Old 08-26-02, 03:04 PM
Banned

Its to bad he has the worst voice in the history of music.....
No he doesn't. Geddy Lee does. The guy sounds like Gwen Stefani of No Doubt in her most irritating moments.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.