Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Coachella Musical Festival Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The One and Only Coachella Musical Festival Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really wish I could make it to Coachella this year. I went to the one 2 years ago and it's the best concert I've ever been too. We drove down from Portland that year in a friend's really crappy '64 Impala that ended up crapping out on us on the way back and we hand to Greyhound it the rest of the way to Portland from a little south of Sacramento. It was definitely one of those road trip experiences I'll always remember. I've been wanting to make it again one of these times since the lineup is always top notch.
Old 02-02-05, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SomeVoices
What time does it start/end each day? And, with all those bands I'm sure there must be multiple bands playing at a time on different stages. Will they come out with some sort of schedule of who's playing on what stage at what time, or is that something you don't really know till you get there? I imagine it's inevitable that two bands I want to see will be playing at the same time.
Bands play from 12 Noon to 12 Midnight. The set schedule won't be posted on the Coachella website until a couple of days before the event, if it is like past years. You can usually make some guesses about who might play at the same time (ie for Saturday: Cocteau Twins, Bauhaus, and Coldplay will obviously be on the main stage so they won't conflict with each other, while Chemical Brothers will likely be the headliner for the dance tent, so they will likely conflict with Coldplay. For Sunday, Nine Inch Nails and Prodigy will likely conflict, which will totally suck as they have similar audiences. I can't decide which to see!)

Last edited by raytrade; 02-02-05 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh, for anyone considering going- hotels are booking up VERY quickly. All the hotels in Indio and surrounding cities are already fully booked except a few of the very expensive ones. I tried like 20+ hotels a couple of days ago before I finally was able to book a Motel6 25 miles away in Palm Springs which is the closest distance I could get for under $175 a night. I suggest making a reservation NOW even if you haven't confirmed if you are going, as you can cancel the reservation later if it is at one of the chain hotels. My guess is within a few days you won't be able to find a room anywhere within an hour's drive.

Of course, you could always reserve a camping space at the event if you wanted to "rough" it. For those who don't know, you have to buy the camping space through Ticketmaster, which will be on sale at the same time as the tickets.

Last edited by raytrade; 02-02-05 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another east coast resident green with envy
Old 02-02-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by iggystar
Another east coast resident green with envy
No kidding. This lineup is SICK. I'm sort of glad it's across the country because I might have gone and been a little ticked off after all that heat. Sounded damn hot last year.
Old 02-02-05, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by raytrade
Bands play from 12 Noon to 12 Midnight. The set schedule won't be posted on the Coachella website until a couple of days before the event, if it is like past years. You can usually make some guesses about who might play at the same time (ie for Saturday: Cocteau Twins, Bauhaus, and Coldplay will obviously be on the main stage so they won't conflict with each other, while Chemical Brothers will likely be the headliner for the dance tent, so they will likely conflict with Coldplay. For Sunday, Nine Inch Nails and Prodigy will likely conflict, which will totally suck as they have similar audiences. I can't decide which to see!)
Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I'm going. Time to save the pennnies.
Old 02-03-05, 07:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Weezer on the first night! Probably be a good show...it will be their first in a while. It would suprise me if they dont close the mainstage.
Old 02-03-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by outlaw1323
Weezer on the first night! Probably be a good show...it will be their first in a while. It would suprise me if they dont close the mainstage.
Doubtful. The headliner on the first night will be Coldplay.
Old 02-06-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by automator
I think I'm going. Time to save the pennnies.
Indeed. I was like "I'm going to go". Then I looked on Ticketmaster, and my total for four would have been, uhhh, ~$700. And knowing my deadbeat friends, I could see that $175 being like "I owe you man ... really ... THANKS!". So I passed on buying tickets yesterday. Now I doubt I'll be going...
Old 02-06-05, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Indeed. I was like "I'm going to go". Then I looked on Ticketmaster, and my total for four would have been, uhhh, ~$700. And knowing my deadbeat friends, I could see that $175 being like "I owe you man ... really ... THANKS!". So I passed on buying tickets yesterday. Now I doubt I'll be going...
That's the same damn thing I did yesterday. I looked on the websit and tickets for me and my girlfriend would be about $200, and I just don't have that money right now.
Old 03-02-05, 11:39 PM

Hehe, well plans changed from my above post as I'm no longer going out with my girlfriend, meaning I wouldn't have to shell out the money for two tickets to one day of the show. So what do I do instead? I buy a two-day pass along with camping .
It was a helluva lot of money, but I figure it should be worth it and there likely wont be another chance to see this many good bands over the span of two day, that is until Coachella next year perhaps.
Old 03-03-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny that this thread was bumped, I just bought my tix. I'm there for both nights.
Old 04-19-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The festival is getting close so I figured I'd bump this thread.

Bands added:
U.N.K.L.E., Pinback, Ben Watt, the Locust, Nic Armstrong and the Thieves, Gratitude, and Midlack

Bummer that the Cocteau Twins pulled out. Wonder if we'll get any surprise guests.

So, who's going?

Current lineup:

Saturday, April 30: Coldplay, Bauhaus, Weezer, the Chemical Brothers, Wilco, Keane, Snow Patrol, Rilo Kiley, Cafe Tacuba, Doves, Sage Francis, the Raveonettes, Bloc Party, Mercury Rev, Fantomas, Hernan Cattaneo, Spoon, Zap Mama, DJ Peretz, Jamie Cullum, M83, Ambulance LTD, Four Tet, MF Doom, Josh Wink, Amp Fiddler, Tiga, the Kills, UNKLE ft. James Lavelle, the Secret Machines, Boom Bip, Swayzak, DJ Marky, Immortal Technique, Jean Grae, Razorlight, Katie Melua, Radio 4, Buck 65, Nic Armstrong and the Thieves, Gratitude, Eisley, the Sexy Magazines, k-os.

Sunday, May 1: Nine Inch Nails, New Order, Bright Eyes, Gang of Four, Prodigy, Black Star, the Faint, Roni Size, Armin Van Buuren, the Arcade Fire, Pinback, Roots Manuva, DJ Krush, Z-Trip, Thrice, Junkie XL, M.I.A., British Sea Power, the Dresden Dolls, Miss Kittin, the Fiery Furnaces, Ben Watt, Aesop Rock, the Perceptionists, Jem, Autolux, Donavon Frankenreiter, Sixtoo, Tegan and Sara, Stereophonics, the Bravery, Matthew Dear, Diplo, Subtle, Beans, Shout Out Louds, the Futureheads, Sloan, Kasabian, Blood Brothers, Matmos, Wolf Eyes, the Locust, Gram Rabbit, Smokestacks, Zion I, Midlake.

Last edited by automator; 04-19-05 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another bump because I'm getting excited. My flight leaves in 8 hours!

Anyone else going?
Old 04-27-05, 10:09 AM

I'll be there. Though I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to get there late Friday night after work or go Saturday morning.

It looks like the Doves just cancelled too, which along with the Cocteau Twins is a bummer.
Old 04-27-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thing should really by PPV!
Old 04-29-05, 09:46 AM

That or throw it on one of the HD channels and broadcast it HD and 5.1 sound.
Old 05-02-05, 04:19 PM

Well, the last two days were simply amazing (I'm going to try to add some pictures later tonight when I get a chance and when I figure out how exactly to do that, even though many didn't turn out too well). But I'll say that the performances by M83 and Coldplay were impressive on Saturday, as were Autolux, M.I.A., The Prodigy, Nine Inch Nails and particularly the Arcade Fire(which I'll talk about at the end) on Sunday.

I loved how much the crowd got into M.I.A. They were the only ones I saw in a tent that actually came back on for an encore (I imagine this was a rare occurrence since bands had to stick to their schedule to keep everything running on time) after the crowd wouldn't leave and started cheering. The clean up crew looked like they were already halfway through clearing away all the equipment off the stage when they got the OK to put it back and let M.I.A. come back on for a couple more songs. The DJ had to quickly queue up some more songs or beats or whatever it is that DJs do and they delivered once again.

If Nine Inch Nails hadn't been playing on Sunday it's likely I wouldn't have even gone over the weekend, though there were many other bands I wanted to see. So, needless to say, I was looking forward to their performance. Having never seen them before, I didn't exactly know what to expect, but I knew it would be intense. I had a pretty good spot probably less than a hundred feet from the stage, and when they came out it was awesome.

Ironically, I was thinking beforehand that if there was one song where things would get crazy really crazy in the crowd it would be March of the Pigs, and I turned out to be right when it was their second or third song. I'm not sure if I've ever had so much adrenaline pumping through my body. We were packed in like sardines and the crowd immediately started pushing when the wall of sound started. I wasn't sure if I was going to get knocked flat on my face or if I would make it out of there with all my belongings, but I ended making it out unscathed.

This was also the song where there was a mass exodus from right in front of the stage. These were perhaps people who had been there to see New Order before and decided to keep their good spots, or maybe they just weren't prepared for what awaited them like me. But I at least knew that the center in front of the stage wasn't the place to be if I didn't want trouble. Couples, groups of girls, and people with small builds started streaming out from the center, while we were being pushed forward from behind. This was perhaps the first time I've actually seen fear in someone's eyes.

The crowd settled down for the most part where I was after that song, but I could tell the people around me were the die hard fans, singing the words to all the songs and getting into the ones off the new ones as well. After the performance, it looks like I have no other choice now than to resort to buying tickets to their show on May 31 for the last show of this leg of the tour in the US.

Finally, providing what was probably the best performance I saw out of the two days I was there were the Arcade Fire, who had more energy and enthusiasm than any band I've ever seen. With 7 or so members in the band, they really made use of the whole stage. Two of the band members in particular were out of control for the majority of the show. They were either climbing on the support for the lights and banging on it, shoving each other, or making use of something to bang on to make noise. One of them even appeared to cut his finger at some point when he climbed on and then off of the support for the lights and had to cover his hand with a towel and wipe the blood off the keyboard before someone brought him a band aid. Throughout and after the show I could hear people in the crowd saying how amazed they were by the performance. Some probably knew of the band, while others probably came over when they heard all the noise. But glimpses of the crowd in the big screens behind the band on stage showed that there were thousands there to see them. The lead singer even seemed almost overwhelmed by all they support they were getting and commented on how impressed he and the band were. I heard someone in the crowd, who was a man probably in his 40s and I inferred probably hadn't heard them before this performance, say that this is the type of performance that marks the beginning of something big for a band. Perhaps, and hopefully, he'll be right. But one thing is for sure, with all the hype this band has been getting lately, their performance on Sunday proved that they are completely deserving of it.

For anyone that was on the fence this year and didn't end up going, I suggest you do yourself a favor and go next year. True, for me this year the lineup was particularly strong and there were a lot of bands I wanted to see, but even still I was hesitant to spend so much money on it at first. But I'm definitely glad I did. Even if the lineup isn't as strong next year, I think I'll still be likely to go. I made new friends, had fun camping, and overall just had a tremendous time(luckily it wasn't too hot). For anyone else who went, post your highlights. I'll try to get my few good pictures up soon!
Old 05-17-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it's old news at this point but my friend (who attended the festival with me) finally has his review up at:

sandiegoradiosucks.com
Old 01-31-06, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coachella 2006 Headliners revealed?

So the local radio station here (Santa Barbara, CA) has said that the 2 headliners for the 2 days of Coachella are a reunited Smashing Pumpkins and Depeche Mode. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this, since I wouldnt put too much faith in a pretty small radio station, and the website doesnt have anything listed.
Old 01-31-06, 01:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

nope!

its TOOL!!

Offical list hasn't been posted yet, but LA times is reporting that Tool will headline day 2. Depeche mode are headlining Day 3.

Heres whose confirmed so far. Not a bad lineup. But nothing spectacular so far.
DEPCHE MODE
TOOL

SIGUR ROS
FRANZ FERDINAND
COMMON
YEAH YEAH YEAHS
BLOC PARTY
DAMIAN MARLEY
PAUL OAKENFOLD
MATISYAHU
SCISSOR SISTERS
MY MORNING JACKET
TV ON THE RADIO
GNARLES BARKLEY
WOLF PARADE
CAT POWER
HARD-FI
SHE WANTS REVENGE
THE LIKE
Old 01-31-06, 02:00 AM

Tool, Sigur Ros, Depeche Mode, Wolf Parade, She Wants Revenge, My Morning Jacket, and Bloc Party...and the list so far is only a quarter of the bands! Looks like I'll be heading out there for the second year in a row. Now I'm just hoping Arcade Fire will be confirmed again for this year.
Old 01-31-06, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Sigur Ros and Tool!.?!.?
Ugh, time to buy the plane ticket.
Old 01-31-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

isn't coachella 2 days?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.