Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Coachella Musical Festival Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The One and Only Coachella Musical Festival Thread

Old 02-20-04, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
My wife really wants to go. I'm not sure, though. Something about being in middle of the desert listening to the cure doesn't really sound right to me. Definetely a band whose shows would benefit from some rain to set the mood.

I'd definetely love seeing the Pixies, though.

Edit: There so many other groups that I'd love to see that would make the price of tickets, airfare and rental car worthwhile. But maybe I'll just stick with the crowds at Bumbershoot this year.

Last edited by funkyryno; 02-20-04 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-20-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50/50 still
Old 02-20-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
UGH... festivals.

Pay $100 to drive all the way out to the middle of nowhere, in horrible traffic, hike a few miles to sit in the dirt with a bunch of dirty, smelly hippies to have to squint at the stage that's about a mile away and sit through some awful bands just so I can (barely) see and hear a band I've seen 5 times before (Radiohead). And then slug my way back to the car and sit in even more traffic to get home at some ungodly hour and take a full week to recover from the ordeal.

No thanks.

I'd rather poke at my genitles with a rusty razor. At least I can do that for free.

Last edited by slop101; 02-20-04 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-20-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm so there.

This is going to cost me a fortune.
Old 02-20-04, 05:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Got my two day pass, got a two day pass for a friend for his birthday, and a Saturday pass for my other friend for his birthday.
Old 04-27-04, 05:27 PM

Coachella 04

YES!!! Anyone else psyched up too? I miss camping and I guess this might be the best weekend to have my gf rough it!

I told my 7 year old niece about Indio and she went around telling the family we're off to IndiA!! oops!
Old 04-27-04, 07:45 PM
Banned by request

I can't wait. I actually got a hotel room, so no roughing it for me.

Work this week has become so unbearable, I just keep thinking of Coachella.
Old 04-27-04, 10:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i hate you both. so friggin jealous. just bring the water and sunscreen. its gonna be hot there.
Old 04-28-04, 02:40 PM

say hello to the triple digit weather for me
Old 04-28-04, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Spinning Plates, hmmm? I wonder what band you might be heading out to see?
Old 04-28-04, 02:48 PM

im not going. too much money ! besides, ive already seen them enough times.
Old 04-29-04, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a quick note to let you know how much this East coast boy hates you guys right now! haha Have fun... We've got a big 3 day fest in Atlanta this weekend, but the lineup is seriously lacking. And it's suppose to rain.
Old 04-29-04, 11:59 AM

They've released the set times.

http://www.coachella.com/set_times_print.html

My flight leaves from JFK in a few hours... I sure as hell hope Radiohead still plays. The addition of Beck makes this a dream.
Old 04-29-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good gawd... I just looked at that link you left zutroy and now I wish I had also flown out there. I've never seen a lineup that makes me drool like that. I wouldn't even be able see all the bands I'd love to see. Wow.
Old 04-29-04, 08:15 PM

hey, i'll be there too..leaving AZ tomorrow around 1 pm heading for Lake Cahuilla. this is my fourth Coachella...will finally get to see Beck now that they've announced when and where he's playing (he was a 'surprise' performance two previous years, i missed them both by not being in the right place at the right time). caught Tenacious D in 2002 before the Foo Fighters came on though!
Old 05-02-04, 09:42 PM

so how was coachella?

for you lucky bastards that got to go?
Old 05-03-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's what the New York Times had to say:
Pixie Worship at a Hipster Gathering
By JON PARELES

INDIO, Calif., May 2 Pity the bands that shared their Saturday-evening time slot with the reunited Pixies at the fifth annual Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival here. It seemed that the Pixies were the only band that everyone wanted to see among the 45 rock bands, hip-hop groups and D.J.'s on the festival's four stages on Saturday.

Radiohead, the million-selling band that was the festival's nominal headliner for the festival's first day, drew its own packed crowd when it followed the Pixies on the festival's main stage and played a magnificently baleful set. But even Thom Yorke, Radiohead's lead singer, was thrilled by the Pixies reunion. "When I was in school, the Pixies and R.E.M. changed my life," he said during Radiohead's encores. A long-running band that has been dormant lately, the Cure, was Sunday's headliner; the festival's 50,000 tickets were sold out for both days.

Coachella has earned its reputation as the hipster's rock festival. Its lineup brings together the pride of college radio: a few million-sellers along with dozens of acts that have, or deserve, dedicated cult followings. It embraces Latin alternative rock and underground hip-hop along with rock; it also had far more female performers than most rock festivals manage to book.

Saturday's program included a greatest-hits set from the pioneering and famously impassive German synthesizer band Kraftwerk (which has quietly updated oldies like "Autobahn" with newer beats and technology); gorgeous reveries from the Argentine songwriter Juana Molina and from Savath & Savalas; earnest, surging, self-help rock from the Texas band Sparta, including a song denouncing President Bush and "illegal war" in Iraq; tightly wound confessionals from Death Cab for Cutie; clever braggadocio from the Hieroglyphics hip-hop alliance; and punk-funk revivalism from the Rapture, Moving Units and Erase Errata.

But the day belonged to the Pixies. In an hourlong set that charged through nearly two dozen songs, they were anything but a nostalgia act. Once again they were taking on death and love, derangement and destiny. At Coachella, in songs that dated back more than a decade, the Pixies were simultaneously desolate and hilarious, savage and absurd, sardonic and wounded. Along the way they made most of the day's other music sound one-dimensional.

Backstage, the band's leader, Frank Black, who was born Charles Thompson and called himself Black Francis when he started the band, said the reunion was instigated when he joked about it and was taken seriously. Apparently he hadn't realized how many people had cherished the Pixies. Formed in 1986 and disbanded in 1992 after making five albums that were far more popular in Europe than in the United States, the Pixies taught alternative rock a trick that Nirvana would carry to a mass audience: follow a quiet verse with a loud chorus. But there was more to the Pixies than their dynamics. Frank Black latched on to familiar styles surf-rock, folk-rock, garage-rock, punk, metal and then knocked their structures thoroughly askew, abetted by the band.

The members of the Pixies are balder and portlier than they were a decade ago, and they had little stagecraft beyond a winged P on David Lovering's bass drum. It didn't matter a bit. Onstage, as on the Pixies' albums, Joey Santiago's lead guitar traded heroics for hysteria, with wriggling, sliding notes or cheeky dissonances, Kim Deal's bass tugged at the songs from below, and Mr. Lovering's drumming could be full and brawny or suddenly drop away, leaving skeletal bits of cymbal. Pixies' songs can't be done by rote. They need Frank Black to get all worked up: whooping, cackling, snarling and sometimes yearning with true affection. The gleeful noise never hid a troubled soul. The reunion will continue; the Pixies are booked for New York at the Lollapalooza Festival on Aug. 17 at Randalls Island.

The Pixies had their first life before alternative rock was thoroughly commodified and bands decided they had to stick to one attitude. Somehow many rock bands lost faith that their audiences could handle mixed messages. Recently hip-hop has been more likely to mingle manifestoes, humor and come-ons, though lately underground hip-hop has started to develop its own inevitable formulas.

A few bands on Saturday were willing to scramble things. The Desert Sessions, a dozen musicians convened by Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, knocked around blues and punk, jokes and love songs; Kinky, from Mexico, did border-hopping dance-music hybrids; and there was a fierce, grandly cantankerous set from . . . and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead. The Pixies reunion doesn't need to spawn imitators, but maybe it will remind rockers of the joys of inconsistency.
...I would have given my eye teeth to be there.

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-03-04 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-03-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Screw the Pixies... I'd have killed to see half the bands on this lineup. Okay, so don't screw the Pixies, but seriously, what an incredible couple of days of music. Seeing Kraftwerk would have been really.... neato.

I got to see The Fire Theft, Ween and the Strokes over the weekend so at least I had a little fun!
Old 05-03-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Will be heading back to Michigan from Coachella in about an hour. The festival was amazing. I am so tired right now I can hardly type. I will post my thoughts when I get home.
Old 05-03-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
I'm surprised that there are no mentions of how hot it was - well into the 100's, people were passing out from the heat. Then there's the 3 hours of waiting to get out of the parking lot... man, just not worth it.
Old 05-03-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm just glad I got to see the Pixies last week in Eugene in a relatively small, intimate club setting rather than at some huge sweaty outdoors show. I'm sure they were awesome either way, I'm still reliving the Eugene concert.
Old 05-03-04, 10:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by slop101
I'm surprised that there are no mentions of how hot it was - well into the 100's, people were passing out from the heat. Then there's the 3 hours of waiting to get out of the parking lot... man, just not worth it.
Yeah, I'm also surprised no one mentioned this. When I got the tickets for this, I was going nuts. Getting to see The Pixies and Radiohead and AIR and The Flaming Lips and The Cure, etc. etc.

Then I got there, had to walk through three fields of parking just to stand in line for another half an hour at the entrance, all in blistering heat.

You weren't allowed to bring in your own food or even water, and the lines for water and food were often atrocious, and often the places would run out. And forget about going to the free water fountains. Each one (of which there were maybe 4, total) had lines longer than anything else.

The tents got so packed that people fainted from being packed in close with so many other people, and seeing the bands on the bigger stages meant standing in the blazing sun.

The sound system for the main stage wasn't too incredible, in my opinion. The sound was often compressed and when The Cure played, Robert Smith's mic kept going quiet for no reason.

The hour long sets were too short for the bands you liked, and way too long for bands you didn't like, of which there seemed to be many more than bands you wanted to hear.

There was almost no cell phone reception. If you tried to call someone else at the festival (which became necessary because it's near impossible to find one or two people out of 50,000), their phones would never pick up. I got called several times by people and my phone still hasn't registered the missed calls.

People were stuck in the parking lot for two hours or more trying to get out. Disgusting.

That being said, all the bands I saw but two (The Thrills and The Flaming Lips) either met or exceeded my expectations. The Pixies were amazing. I picked up one of the limited edition CDs, thankfully. Radiohead reminded me why I like them, Erase Errata improved considerably from when I last saw them two years ago. Beck and Belle and Sebastian were a lot of fun.

The Thrills didn't sound as good live as on record. My friend disagreed, but they definitely didn't have the same sheen. The Flaming Lips weren't bad, but it seemed like Wayne Coyne felt ill at ease in front of that many people. Also, I seemed to detect a bit of cynicism from some hardcore Cure fans towards The Flaming Lips. This was my sixth time seeing The Flaming Lips and it was easily the worst time. Their other five shows have been five of my favorite shows ever. This one was disappointing.

Two bands exceeded my expectations: Q And Not U and AIR. I didn't know Q And Not U before I saw them, but now I'm a fan. Excellent music played with enough energy for three bands. I've always liked AIR, but I wasn't sure how well they'd translate to a live setting. The answer is: Amazingly well. They were one of the best acts of the whole festival.

The Cure, however, may have been the best. They started late, but they came on and with nary a word started playing, and they were on top of their game. Unfortunately, I had to leave early to avoid being stuck in the parking lot again. So you can see how the cons outweighed the pros at this festival.

I'm not going to Coachella again, even though I did have fun at this one. It's just too disorganized and uncomfortable.
Old 05-03-04, 10:51 PM

supermallet, thanks for that review man.

see, its a mixed bag for me. i wanted to go and plan on going to at least one in the future, but im scared. the cons seemed HORRIBLE. im very pale skined so i burn quick. even if i bathed in sunscreen i'd still be red. i dont enjoy being hot. i've had sun stroke before and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. its utter bullshit that you can't bring in your own water. and the parking sounds like a nightmare. if coachella fixed these problems, limited the size and maybe changed the date (it will always be hot in the desert, but come on may?!) then i would like to go. otherwise, i dont think i would do too great.

im dissapointed in hearing the thrills weren't that good. i love their album. that said, it was super hot and crowded at coachella. i think they are more of a band that would be better to see in a small club. glad you liked the cure. i've heard negative things about their performance.

oh and as for the flaming lips bubble thing, what kind of bubble was it? like what was it made out of it?
Old 05-03-04, 11:06 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by whynotsmile
im very pale skined so i burn quick. even if i bathed in sunscreen i'd still be red.
I applied sunscreen (SPF 45) four times each day, and managed to come out without so much as a darker complexion.

oh and as for the flaming lips bubble thing, what kind of bubble was it? like what was it made out of it?
Rubber? Plastic? Something he could walk in on top of the audience without breaking the bubble or the heads and hands of the audience members.
Old 05-04-04, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love the theory of Coachella, but would hate its reality. After my Lollapalooza experience in Phoenix a few years ago, I learned my lesson about outdoor festivals in the desert.

Re: Air in concert - I saw them Saturday night and would agree that they are a surprisingly terrific live band. Good musicianship all-around.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.