Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan) -- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire?
0%
3.33%
16.67%
26.67%
13.33%
6.67%
6.67%
6.67%
3.33%
0%
0%
Don't care, No interest
16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan) -- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024, D: Kenan) -- The Reviews Thread

Just got back (last day on the Dolby screen) overall pretty similar feeling as the last one - nothing particularly great, but I had fun and am glad they made it. They could leave it here, but I'm game for another one if it happens.
The following users liked this post:
Shannon Nutt (03-28-24)
Old 03-31-24, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 515 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Oh, one other random thing. They made a big deal about cutting down the firepole because it was so special to the Gbostbusters. I kind of liked that. And then you see they have like 3 more poles in the firehouse (since when?).
Since 1984. I just happened to be watching the original and it shows three poles during the "last of the petty cash" scene. I'd never noticed them before until now. Mandela effect?
The following 2 users liked this post by Crocker Jarmen:
BrewCrew (04-17-24), story (04-01-24)
Old 04-01-24, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Since 1984. I just happened to be watching the original and it shows three poles during the "last of the petty cash" scene. I'd never noticed them before until now. Mandela effect?
Weird. I never saw that before. They always take the one right by their uniforms. Ok I’ll take that one back.
Old 04-01-24, 07:34 AM

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,259 Posts

It is weird (a.k.a. plot-and-character-arc convenient) that despite Lucky telling them their proton packs won't work, despite Ray helping realize brass would work, despite plenty of brass pole to go around for the 10 people wearing proton packs, only Phoebe adapted her proton pack...
Old 04-01-24, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by story
It is weird (a.k.a. plot-and-character-arc convenient) that despite Lucky telling them their proton packs won't work, despite Ray helping realize brass would work, despite plenty of brass pole to go around for the 10 people wearing proton packs, only Phoebe adapted her proton pack...
Maybe because it was "old tech' and she couldn't do that with the new packs everyone else had?
Old 04-01-24, 10:48 AM

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Phoebe: "Looks like the brass worked. Let's get everyone else's pack set up, too."
Ray: "It won't work on our older packs. Looks like it's up to you, kid."
Trevor: "Wait, shouldn't we give that to the physically strongest character?"
Podcast: "No, just the character with the emotionally strongest story arc."
Lucky: "In other words, not you, Trevor."
Everyone: "...Who are you?!"
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
Crocker Jarmen (04-01-24), Toddarino (04-01-24)
Old 04-01-24, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Phoebe: "Looks like the brass worked. Let's get everyone else's pack set up, too."
Ray: "It won't work on our older packs. Looks like it's up to you, kid."
Trevor: "Wait, shouldn't we give that to the physically strongest character?"
Podcast: "No, just the character with the emotionally strongest story arc."
Lucky: "In other words, not you, Trevor."
Everyone: "...Who are you?!"
This movie seemed to actively avoid the "one line of dialogue that could clear up confusion" trope.
Old 04-07-24, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts

Saw this a few weeks ago.

As someone who enjoyed Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021), I didn't enjoy this film as much.

It felt overstuffed and performances felt oddly wooden/flat.

Even so, there was enough Proton Pack usage to sustain my attention for 115 minutes.
jeffkjoe (05-10-24)
Old 04-07-24, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Maybe because it was "old tech' and she couldn't do that with the new packs everyone else had?
That. They made a point out of the city taking all their gear, but she had hers stashed.

I don't know why they needed proton packs though, apparently "all-in group hands" solve everything.

As meh as this was, I think they could have fleshed out the 92 stripped-to-the-bone subplots, hit another round of rewrites, and actually made a decent 8 to10 episode series out of it.
Old 04-09-24, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 348 Posts

I just got back from seeing it. It had some really good ideas. I liked seeing Winston more prominently featured and I liked the idea of the Ghost lab. I thought it struggled with having too many characters and trying to stuff in their stories. I liked Garraka as a villain and his character felt it came from The Real Ghostbusters cartoon brought to life. I'd say it's a mild recommendation for me and if they keep making more Ghostbusters they need to trim down the number of characters. Dan Akyroyd will probably still be in these movies as long as he's alive but only him and Ernie Hudson would seem relevant to keep bringing back.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 04-09-24 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-12-24, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts

We watched last night and I really dug it albeit one major issue which I'll get to in a moment. First, the cast is bloated. Even during the final battle there were like a dozen people(+ 1 ghost girl) in the firehouse standing there fighting with proton packs. The original movie had 4 guys (plus Weaver & Moranis). There's no need for Venkman or Janine. She had like two lines. What was her purpose? Lucky? Podcast? Lab tech? Thin them out. McKenna Grace as Phoebe continues to be the highlight. Finn could be comparable if he was given more to do. Ray feeding the Ghost Lab with haunted artifacts is a nice touch. Kumail hocking everything he could find brought some decent humor. The villain looked pretty solid but was just a token big-bad. Even with that animated backstory he felt underdeveloped. Overall though, the tone and humor & cast still made it pretty enjoyable.

Now the thing that left me scratching my head when the credits started rolling.... New Yorkers celebrating the big win from the Ghostbusters, yay! Par for the course except Walter Peck was 100% correct the entire time. The entire third act of unleashing a demon and frozen hellscape on NY happens because of Phoebe's actions. She was sidelined and should have stayed away from from the GhostLab. So celebrating her at the end didn't work for me. There should have been some repercussions instead we're distracted with "she called me dad!"

Originally Posted by DJariya
It brought absolutely nothing new
Really? Ghost girl hanging out as a main/pivotal character playing chess and whatnot? Or having an entire Q style Ghostbusters tech lab? Experimenting on ghosts? Flashback to the early 20th century? I thought this movie brought more new ideas than any sequel since the first film. Every other film is "ghosts on the loose, must catch."
Old 06-30-24, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 396 Likes on 302 Posts

Rented this on Vudu. It was ok, just like Afterlife. Too much fan service (recreating old scenes) and needed 2 or 3 more ghost busting scenes.

Seriously, why are these two last films lacking action? Just give us ghosts and hunting them down.

But at least they created a new villain this time and not recycled a previous one like Afterlife. That was just pure laziness in the last movie.
Old 07-08-24, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

This will be on Netflix July 22nd

The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
Boondock Saint (07-08-24), Deftones (07-08-24), Inhumans99 (07-08-24)
Old 07-08-24, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Saw this a few weeks ago.

As someone who enjoyed Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021), I didn't enjoy this film as much.

It felt overstuffed and performances felt oddly wooden/flat.
Same. And the script was pretty bad. So I blame the performances for that. A maybe the Director to some degree. You can only do so much with a lousy script. I'd give "Afterlife" an 8/10 rating. This gets a 5/10.
Old 07-25-24, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,093 Likes on 899 Posts

I watched this on Netflix and it was fine. But I wasn't thrilled with the other recent ones either. McKenna Grace is the best part of it.
story (07-25-24)
Old 07-25-24, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,175 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I watched this on Netflix and it was fine. But I wasn't thrilled with the other recent ones either. McKenna Grace is the best part of it.
Reitman and crew are really kind of stupid. The oldest trope in fantasy is the young person who discovers their secret ancestry that sets them on the path to being a hero.

McKenna Grace as Egon's grand-daughter is that character, the one destined to follow his path to saving NYC by busting ghosts, but they are afraid to make a movie where the undisputed main character is a teenage girl, so they clutter up the story with so many sub-plots and other characters that the movie is almost incoherent. And it's almost like the movie is actively working to keep you from developing an emotional investment in anything or anyone.
Old 07-25-24, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 190 Posts

I didn’t understand the opening flashback to 1904 NYC.

Did fire master’s great great grandma open the orb in that room of dudes? If so, why? If not, then huh?