Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny?
1.79%
5.36%
26.79%
32.14%
12.50%
7.14%
10.71%
1.79%
0%
0%
0%
No interest at all
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-23, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weeken...?ref_=bo_hm_rw

In case you don't follow the box office thread, this took a 56% drop in week 2. If this movie didn't cost $300M+, that wouldn't be horrible. As it stands, this will almost certainly be a money loser.
Old 07-09-23, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Also I didn’t find Indy to be as much of a curmudgeon as I was led to believe. The opening maybe but he was annoyed with his neighbors rightfully for being loud and obnoxious right away in the morning.

Otherwise the students in his class seemed like they mostly didn’t give a shit. Helena was being kind of bitchy to him half the movie after she got what she wanted until close to the end.

He seemed reasonably annoyed by the people and circumstances he was surrounded with given his age.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike86:
JeremyM (07-10-23), ntnon (07-10-23), Spiderbite (07-10-23)
Old 07-09-23, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
You guys are crazy. Short Round is the best. "No time for love, Dr. Jones!" is my favorite line to quote in the entire series. And if you don't feel something when Indy reconciles with Shorty after coming out of his trance, then you're probably dead inside. Forget Marion. Short Round is the great love of Indy's life.
I love the scene in ToD where Indy and Short Round are both beating up their respective villains and they’re mirroring each other as they do it. The great John Williams theme even takes an extra few beats to allow the two of them to properly pummel the bad guys.
The following users liked this post:
RocShemp (07-09-23)
Old 07-09-23, 09:15 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 413 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just re-watched my 4K of Temple of Doom last week and I loved Short Round. There's just some people for whatever reason who hate child actors.
I am in the camp that I do hate child actors, but NOT Short Round. I never found him irritating like most of them who tend to overact and simp for the camera.
Old 07-09-23, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

Short Round has never bothered me in the slightest. I think he and Indy work well together. Part of me wishes we had seen him again just to know what happened to the character.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike86:
JeremyM (07-10-23), ntnon (07-10-23), RocShemp (07-09-23)
Old 07-09-23, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Short Round has never bothered me in the slightest. I think he and Indy work well together. Part of me wishes we had seen him again just to know what happened to the character.
I feel like they missed a huge opportunity with this one. I did love the Marion reunion scene and feel like that at least justifies the rest of the movie. Like if only we had gotten once scene, or even a single frame, of Luke, Han and Leia together it would have made the ST worth it. So yeah I did like them getting back together. Don't really like how depressing their life seems now.

But could you imagine what a reunion between Indy and Short Round would have been like in 2023? Especially with Ke Huy Quan's recent success? I mean I was tearing up at their recent reunion IRL. I mean look at that picture. How many times do we see Ford genuinely happy about something? I mean replace mutton chop, or whatever her name was, with Short Round and THAT would have been something to see.

story (07-09-23)
Old 07-09-23, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Punching someone to temporarily knock them out has gotten so old to me and is such a lazy thing to do.

And doing it to a 70 year old man with a serious bullet wound in order to “save” him? Even Bugs Bunny wouldn’t be crazy enough to do that.
I feel like there's been a recent trend in using fatal looking wounds as plot devices. I feel like for awhile modern sensibilities weren't allowing the whole trope of monologuing as someone was dying. But now main characters are being shot in the chest or outright impaled and surviving for a LONG period of time afterwards. Just takes me completely out of the movie. Why not show a flesh wound? Or something that's not obviously 100% instantly fatal? There are numerous ways to get the hero out of the fight without lazily resorting to a wound like this. And this one in particular looks like it went right through his heart and he just sits down to take a breather and is like that throughout the rest of the movie. Contrast that to his dad who also suffers a chest wound but is almost immediately revived by the grail.
Old 07-09-23, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just re-watched my 4K of Temple of Doom last week and I loved Short Round. There's just some people for whatever reason who hate child actors.
Oh, stop it. Just because there are some who are critical of Short Round you are labeling them as people who hate all child actors? Ridiculous! I recognize and love so many great performances by children in film. Including Tatum O'Neal in "Paper Moon", Freddie Highmore in "Finding Neverland", Abigail Breslin in "Little Miss Sunshine", Haley Joel Osment in "The Sixth Sense", Jamie Bell in "Billy Elliot", Henry Thomas in "E.T.". To name a countless few.
ntnon (07-10-23)
Old 07-10-23, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I feel like they missed a huge opportunity with this one. I did love the Marion reunion scene and feel like that at least justifies the rest of the movie. Like if only we had gotten once scene, or even a single frame, of Luke, Han and Leia together it would have made the ST worth it. So yeah I did like them getting back together. Don't really like how depressing their life seems now.

But could you imagine what a reunion between Indy and Short Round would have been like in 2023? Especially with Ke Huy Quan's recent success? I mean I was tearing up at their recent reunion IRL. I mean look at that picture. How many times do we see Ford genuinely happy about something? I mean replace mutton chop, or whatever her name was, with Short Round and THAT would have been something to see.

I agree. Also, it would have been great if an adventure with his surrogate son is what would have gotten Indy out of his funk. Likewise, Sallah could have gone on a seemingly separate adventure with Marion, with both stories colliding for the big climax.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
Josh-da-man (07-10-23), ntnon (07-10-23)
Old 07-10-23, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

You guys are crazy. Short Round is the best. "No time for love, Dr. Jones!" is my favorite line to quote in the entire series. And if you don't feel something when Indy reconciles with Shorty after coming out of his trance, then you're probably dead inside. Forget Marion. Short Round is the great love of Indy's life.
An even briefer 'great love', then... Remy from YIJ is more ubiquitous!

Is Short Round in any of the novels..? Or was he off-limits like the Ravenwoods?
Old 07-10-23, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I agree. Also, it would have been great if an adventure with his surrogate son is what would have gotten Indy out of his funk. Likewise, Sallah could have gone on a seemingly separate adventure with Marion, with both stories colliding for the big climax.
No more Indy, but a Sallah/Short Round/Marion spin-off..?! Looking forward to it already.
Old 07-10-23, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,562 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Didn't he grow up, get married to a girl out of his league, move to America, and buy a laundromat?
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick Danger:
Obi-Wanma (07-17-23), tanman (07-10-23)
Old 07-10-23, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
The proper one (Crusade's sunset) did that. But then after years of prevaricating, they decided to update the formula and add a whole bunch of not-Indy elements into the mix.

Trying to just ignore Crystal Skull and making a straight sequel to Crusade in the mould of.. Superman Returns would have been weird and worse and probably required recasting. But making a sequel to Skull required acknowledging that Time Has Past and Things Have Changed. They did what they could to roll back the changes. Viz:
Spoiler:
Remove Mutt. Reinstate the Nazis. Dangle a holy relic. Recall Sallah. Echo the highlights of earlier films as a grand romp through past glories. Reunite him finally with Marion.

But the passage of time was such that there could be no real standing ovation and big heroic send-off - for that he'd have needed to die saving someone the audience cares about as much as him, and there isn't anyone at that level. So the next best option was the ending they went with - rehabilitating one individual and reuniting with another. He's as happy as he can be, and proven he's still got it.
Yeah, they made their bed in the first "old" Indy scene with the shirt off. The only way they could have really come back from that is to use time travel shenanigans to deage him and have him run off into the sunset, otherwise even leaving him in the past (which would have been a terrible decision in so many ways) wasn't really a viable option. It also hurts that for whatever reason someone thought that people would rally around Helena... if they had someone truly deserving of passing the torch to that could have worked (even if there wasn't another movie made)
Old 07-10-23, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

It would have been fan servicey as hell but they could have had Short Round be any of the people Indy knew around the world to help him.

“I have an old friend who’s a boat captain.” **Cut to Short Round welcoming Indy and Helena onto his boat.**

“I have an old friend who can help get me out of this mess.” **Cut to Short Round as a rich and successful adventurer/fortune hunter providing Indy with a getaway plane.**

“I have an old friend who might have information about this dial” **Cut to Short Round teaching history at a prestigious university who has background information about the dial.**

Or remove Helena altogether and have Short Round be the one who tracks down Indy after not seeing him for years to help him with his adventure with the Dial.

They could have literally inserted him anywhere and it would have worked.
The following 3 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Josh-da-man (07-10-23), Obi-Wanma (07-17-23), tanman (07-10-23)
Old 07-10-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It would have been fan servicey as hell but they could have had Short Round be any of the people Indy knew around the world to help him.

“I have an old friend who’s a boat captain.” **Cut to Short Round welcoming Indy and Helena onto his boat.**

“I have an old friend who can help get me out of this mess.” **Cut to Short Round as a rich and successful adventurer/fortune hunter providing Indy with a getaway plane.**

“I have an old friend who might have information about this dial” **Cut to Short Round teaching history at a prestigious university who has background information about the dial.**

Or remove Helena altogether and have Short Round be the one who tracks down Indy after not seeing him for years to help him with his adventure with the Dial.

I'm kind of shocked he wasn't one of the people they at least got to cameo. I realize his stock has risen significantly but that would have been before that, right? Guy could barely find enough work to keep his insurance.
Old 07-10-23, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
An even briefer 'great love', then... Remy from YIJ is more ubiquitous!

Is Short Round in any of the novels..? Or was he off-limits like the Ravenwoods?
He is mentioned in the "Journal of Indiana Jones" as having located the Peacock's Eye (the diamond from the opening of Temple and one of the Young Indy episodes) but otherwise he doesn't show up in in any of the novels nor even get a mention.
ntnon (07-10-23)
Old 07-10-23, 05:38 PM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

. "No time for love, Dr. Jones!" is my favorite line to quote in the entire series.
But that's not the line.

- That guy
Old 07-10-23, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,101 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by FM
But that's not the line.

- That guy
I know, but it sounds better.
Old 07-10-23, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Disney is taking a bath on this movie. Bob Iger can't be happy. It's only a matter of time that he orders all his film studios to set hardline budgets for future projects. These $200M plus budgets are just not sustainable.

Old 07-10-23, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

All excellent options. The bolded one is my favourite.
GoldenJCJ (07-10-23)
Old 07-10-23, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

That sounds like it could have been a fun movie.

Indiana Jones needs a plane to get somewhere exotic, hires one, and finds out the pilot is Short Round. And he gets drawn into the adventure.

Then Sallah and Marion go off doing something, which, with Marion's impulsive and spunky nature combined with Sallah's reserved and conservative manners, could have provided a lot of natural humor.

With everyone (actors and characters) older, and not capable of pulling off the same physical feats, it would have been a good idea to lean into humor as long as it didn't degenerate into slapstick.

Old 07-10-23, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Didn't he grow up, get married to a girl out of his league, move to America, and buy a laundromat?
One of him might have done that.
tanman (07-11-23)
Old 07-17-23, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Just got to see this yesterday. Very underwhelmed. Doesn’t look or feel like an Indy film at all. Its biggest value to me at this point is to help me see Crystal Skull more favorably.

Gave 3/5 but it would have been 2/5 if not for the last 10-15 minutes. But that’s not enough to save the film. What a bummer. It’s too bad Indy wasn’t left riding into the sunset with his father, Sallah and Marcus.
tanman (07-20-23)
Old 07-17-23, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 835 Likes on 392 Posts

FYI, you're not quoting Temple of Doom. That line doesn't exist in that order. You're quoting "Clerks"

Edit: I see someone beat me to it. That'll teach me to respond to an older post without reading the rest of the thread first.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 07-17-23 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-17-23, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,101 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
FYI, you're not quoting Temple of Doom. That line doesn't exist in that order. You're quoting "Clerks"
I know I'm not quoting it accurately. I admitted that in a later post. Not sure I'm quoting Clerks though. I mean maybe I am, but not consciously. It's just something my friends and I say at each other.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.