Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny?
1.79%
5.36%
26.79%
32.14%
12.50%
7.14%
10.71%
1.79%
0%
0%
0%
No interest at all
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 06-29-23, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,464 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Daredevil archaeologist Indiana Jones races against time to retrieve a legendary dial that can change the course of history. Accompanied by his goddaughter, he soon finds himself squaring off against Jürgen Voller, a former Nazi who works for NASA.

Starring: Harrison Ford, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Mads Mikkelson

Rated: PG-13

Running Time: 2 hours, 34 Minutes

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 66% as of 6/29/23

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ind...ial_of_destiny

Not posting the trailer in this thread. You all have seen it enough.

Will be seeing it tonight at 6:45pm

I just checked a non-spoiler post that said there is no post credit scene. So, if your bladder is ready to explode after almost 3 hours, you can run to the restroom

Last edited by DJariya; 06-29-23 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Guess the inane thread starter has abandoned movie review threads.
Old 06-29-23, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Guess the inane thread starter has abandoned movie review threads.
It takes me less than 5 minutes to put this together.
Old 06-29-23, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,009 Posts

I’m taking my 8 year old son to see this on Saturday. It’ll be his first “grown up” movie in the theater.

We’ve spent the last few weekends catching up (him seeing them for the first time) with the first 4 Indiana Jones movies.

For the record, he said he enjoyed Last Crusade the most but Raiders was the best movie.
The following 3 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
JeremyM (06-30-23), ntnon (07-07-23), Spiderbite (07-03-23)
Old 06-29-23, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 506 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m taking my 8 year old son to see this on Saturday. It’ll be his first “grown up” movie in the theater.

We’ve spent the last few weekends catching up (him seeing them for the first time) with the first 4 Indiana Jones movies.

For the record, he said he enjoyed Last Crusade the most but Raiders was the best movie.
Did he hate Crystal Skull enough for you to still pay for his college later?
Old 06-29-23, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

Seeing this Saturday. Plan is to re-watch Crystal Skull tomorrow to get a feel of what this one is probably going to be closer to in terms of quality, and then watch Raiders Saturday evening after seeing this to likely wash the bad taste from my mouth. I just hope it isn't too bad or at least palatable.
Old 06-29-23, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,009 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Did he hate Crystal Skull enough for you to still pay for his college later?

He didn’t really say much about Crystal Skull. I think if anything, he thinks it felt out of place due to the large time gap between the the first 3 movies and #4.

I’m just proud of him for recognizing Raiders as the best of the series and I’m perfectly ok with him liking Last Crusade the most. LC is a little more slapstick-y than I remember but it’s probably the “funnest” movie of the series.

Speaking of Last Crusade, there was actually a part that made me tear up that had never affected me before.
Spoiler:
At the end when Indy was hanging from the crevasse trying to reach for the Grail, Henry Sr. was trying to pull him up. Previously, I just thought it was an amusing scene since Indy is doing the EXACT thing Elsa just did that got her killed. But this time watching it when Henry Sr.’s voice becomes really calm and he calls his son “Indiana” for the first time. It hit me like it never had before.

After seeing it again, it’s probably my favorite single scene in the series. Such a great father/son moment.

The scene I’m referring to is here. What I’m specifically referring to starts at about 1:05.
Spoiler:
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
JeremyM (06-30-23), teameck (07-06-23)
Old 06-29-23, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 310 Likes on 222 Posts

Seeing this tonight.
Old 06-29-23, 04:48 PM

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Your son is wise.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (06-29-23)
Old 06-29-23, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

about to head to the theater to see it now even though I have to be at work early tomorrow.
Old 06-29-23, 06:46 PM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Just got back. This might very well be my least favorite Indiana Jones film.

Shannon Nutt (06-29-23)
Old 06-29-23, 07:29 PM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

^ Same here. Well made, but a bland final entry that doesn't really justify its existence. It may not sink to the cringey depths of Mutt Williams swinging around with CGI monkeys, but I'll still take Crystal Skull over this. I mean, LaBeouf wasn't that unlikeable before his mainstream career imploded - and Cate Blanchett playing a Russian villain in a Louise Brooks wig is a guilty pleasure for me. I felt the wedding scene with the family unit intact was kind of a nice note to leave things on, even if Karen Allen was underused.

As the last outing for Harrison Ford as Indy, Dial of Destiny did nothing to enhance the franchise's legacy for me. A couple decent chase sequences, which feel a bit anemic compared to the golden days of mine cars and rope bridges. I did feel Helena Shaw dominated the movie, yet she doesn't come across nearly as clever or charming as the filmmakers would like us to believe. No slight to Waller-Bridge, but the fact that Kathleen Kennedy thinks this character could possibly carry the property into the future only further demonstrates her lack of insight into what the general public will respond to. I don't even think the character warrants a limited solo series on Disney+.

Maybe word didn't get out about the afternoon preview screenings today, as there were only a dozen people in my showing. Dead silence the entire time. The only laughs I heard were during the Haunted Mansion trailer (so there's no accounting for taste).

Last edited by joe_b; 06-30-23 at 04:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by joe_b:
miller_time22 (06-29-23), Shannon Nutt (06-29-23)
Old 06-29-23, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really liked it. Nice throwbacks to the various films in the series. And I liked how the ending switches up. I would've been fine with the way it looked like it would end.

Sure there's Nazis again but at least no aliens and he does a funny thing on the outside of a refrigerator instead of climbing inside one.
The following 3 users liked this post by TomOpus:
BDB (07-03-23), JeremyM (06-30-23), ntnon (07-07-23)
Old 06-29-23, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts

Oh wow guys...I was really looking forward to this one, despite some of the critical reaction, and what can I say...those critics were right. This is NOT a good movie. Heck, I think Crystal Skull might even be better than this one, as at least that one "feels" like an Indiana Jones movie. Dial of Destiny feels more like a spy thriller that just happens to feature Indiana Jones. The pacing is all wrong, the editing and overall look of the film is all wrong, and the story is just not that interesting. The BEST thing about this movie is Mads Mikkelson, who elevates a pretty one-dimensional villain into someone that's at least fun to watch when he's on screen. The "quips" from Indy don't even work that well...I think I actually groaned at them more than I laughed (there's one about Poland that lands...but that's really the only one).

The third act is horrible...not only poorly conceived, but I was expecting something a little more interesting and fun for the big climax. And as for the final scene...it's supposed to be moving, but it winds up being more depressing than anything else.

This is just a film I wish they hadn't made, but if anything, it may make you appreciate Crystal Skull a little bit more.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 06-30-23 at 05:32 PM.
bunkaroo (07-16-23)
Old 06-29-23, 09:42 PM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus

Sure there's Nazis again but at least no aliens and he does a funny thing on the outside of a refrigerator instead of climbing inside one.

Indy lamenting his separation from Marion? Yeah, I think you’ll find few who find that bit funny. There is nothing funny about seeing the Indy we all knew and loved now living out his life alone and depressed.

Last edited by CristonCole; 06-29-23 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 10:37 PM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CristonCole
There is nothing funny about seeing the Indy we all knew and loved now living out his life alone and depressed.
At least we still have Luke Skyw---... oh... never mind.
Old 06-29-23, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

I wouldn't have thought this a few months ago, but reckon I'll wait for streaming/home release on this one, the reviews just aren't making me excited and I hate leaving a theatre disappointed.
Old 06-30-23, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk God

I gave it 3 1/2 stars.

I’ll share a few short thoughts than writing a blabbering paragraph.

I usually don’t complain about running time, but it’s way too long. This didn’t need to be 2 1/2 hours.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s Helena was an asshole. She slowly became a little more likable towards the end. But I wondered why Indy would help this person.

The ending is very anticlimactic.

And there isn’t much humor.

And honestly I don’t think this movie is good enough for repeat viewings in the theater. Especially if you don’t have an A-List or Regal Unlimited subscription.

But overall there were some moments I liked and it’s well made. The chase sequences were well directed.

And John Williams score and the Indy theme still kick ass.

and even though he looked old and tired, I still enjoyed seeing Ford as Indy one last time.

The de-aged opening looked good IMO, but when Indy spoke he sounded old and gravely.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-30-23 at 01:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
ntnon (07-07-23), Shannon Nutt (06-30-23)
Old 06-30-23, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I gave it 3 1/2 stars.

I’ll share a few short thoughts than writing a blabbering paragraph.

I usually don’t complain about running time, but it’s way too long. This didn’t need to be 2 1/2 hours.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s Helena was an asshole. She slowly became a little more likable towards the end. But I wondered why Indy would help this person.

The ending is very anticlimactic.

And there isn’t much humor.

And honestly I don’t think this movie is good enough for repeat viewings in the theater. Especially if you don’t have an A-List or Regal Unlimited subscription.

But overall there were some moments I liked and it’s well made. The chase sequences were well directed.

And John Williams score and the Indy theme still kick ass.

and even though he looked old and tired, I still enjoyed seeing Ford as Indy one last time.

The de-aged opening looked good IMO, but when Indy spoke he sounded old and gravely.
Saw it tonight and I think I agree with you on all points.

There were a couple plot points I didn't follow:
Spoiler:

When Indy was on the plane in the storm, he was yelling about continental drift screwing up the settings of the dial. Was this true or what he just using it as a distraction to try and get the Nazi's to not fly into the time-hole?
Did the creator of the dial (which I can't believe I can remember his name right now after hearing it like 50 times) make it so it only would lead people back to that time during the war? There was some mention that the dial will just lead people back to its creator.

Old 06-30-23, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CristonCole
Indy lamenting his separation from Marion? Yeah, I think you’ll find few who find that bit funny. There is nothing funny about seeing the Indy we all knew and loved now living out his life alone and depressed.
He moved that refrigerator magnet that he first covered Marion's picture to reshow her face. Did you not see that? My whole theater laughed.

Last edited by TomOpus; 06-30-23 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-30-23, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
There were a couple plot points I didn't follow:
Spoiler:

When Indy was on the plane in the storm, he was yelling about continental drift screwing up the settings of the dial. Was this true or what he just using it as a distraction to try and get the Nazi's to not fly into the time-hole?
Did the creator of the dial (which I can't believe I can remember his name right now after hearing it like 50 times) make it so it only would lead people back to that time during the war? There was some mention that the dial will just lead people back to its creator.

Wasn't it obvious it was true?
jpcamb (07-03-23)
Old 06-30-23, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

6 out of 10
cut half an hour of it at it would’ve been 7 too much filler, plus it only took 5 minutes to get sick of Teddy. Nothing too over the top but also nothing wowed me. Action was good but Indy seemed bored.
It also didn’t help that the theater didn’t have the air on so it was uncomfortable.
Old 06-30-23, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

I liked it and I liked the time travel much more than I thought I would when it was rumored some time ago--and pretty clever that what would happen with the time travel device was right there in the title. That said, I do agree that it could have shed 20 minutes or so along the way, which seems to be the case with a lot of movies anymore. I thought his voice was fine in the opening scene (the de-aging was hit and miss), but one thing that confused me was the long shot with him running on the train was the worst CGI of all--shouldn't that have been the easiest since it was mostly his silhouette?

My favorite moment was kind of low-key, but when there was a gunshot in the parade scene, everyone in the large crowd hit the ground...except Indy, because gunfire is nothing new to him of course.

All in all, it's my 4th favorite of the series, which might seem like low praise but nothing can really top the original trilogy for me and I actually like Skull overall but I am a huge Indy fan.
ntnon (07-07-23)
Old 06-30-23, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Also, when they revealed Voller's plan, I was a bit worried they were going to have Indy step in and save Hitler in order to avoid there being a rupture in the "space-time continuum" which would have been a choice for sure! Thankfully that was not the case.
Old 06-30-23, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 263 Likes on 202 Posts

A minor nitpick I noticed when watching the movie. Indiana Jones is doing a class lecture and every student looks bored and isn't paying much attention. When Indy notices this, he says to the class that "This will be on the test". After he finishes his lecture, he goes into the teacher lounge/offices and they are having a retirement party for him as it is his last day. Why would a college professor be retiring in the middle of a semester and not just finish out the semester? Even if he was retiring at that time, why would he be worried about their performance on an exam, or even know what would be on the exam since some other professor would be taking over for him to finish teaching the semester he started.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.