Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny?
1.79%
5.36%
26.79%
32.14%
12.50%
7.14%
10.71%
1.79%
0%
0%
0%
No interest at all
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 10:48 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Indiana Jones should be a head of the Smithsonian, not talking to a bunch of half-asleep hippies.

This movie blows.
—__
Old 07-02-23, 11:09 AM

Received 915 Likes on 605 Posts
Re: Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by CristonCole
Indiana Jones should be a head of the Smithsonian, not talking to a bunch of half-asleep hippies.
We need Indians Jones and a Night at the Museum crossover next. That would be epic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Goldberg74:
IBJoel (07-19-23), ntnon (07-07-23)
Old 07-02-23, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 527 Likes on 347 Posts

When Wombat showed up, and was introduced as the daughter of a friend of Indiana Jones (even specifying she was 12 at the time), did anyone else wonder if he banged her like he did young Marion? I almost started laughing in the next scene, where he kept asking her, "Do you remember the night I left? What do you remember?"
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (07-07-23)
Old 07-02-23, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by CristonCole

This movie blows.
—__
I always thought there was a good movie concept where they explore what happens between adventures. After the excitement of going through something big, there is a quiet period where he’s teaching, we see some boredom, but then making discoveries, meeting new people and traveling without people trying to kill him.

Then, it could end with a sequence featuring an exhibit at the Smithsonian of all his discoveries, which he gets to be present for. Not a $2 retirement party. Having one non-action movie would be interesting. It’s still possible.

Last edited by bluetoast; 07-02-23 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
The other thing that was maybe a little odd was Mutt enlisting in the Army to fight in Vietnam. By 1969 he would have been about 34 years old and depending on when he enlisted, he still would have been in his early thirties which would seem a little too old by that point.
It just didn't make sense regardless of age, as Mutt was clearly anti-establishment in Skull. He would have been against the war. The idea that he signs up to tick off his dad is kind of ridiculous. I guess the screenplay does it just to have a rift between Indy and Marion, but they could have just as easily had him killed in some kind of accident because he was off trying to emulate his dad's sense of adventure.
Old 07-02-23, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It just didn't make sense regardless of age, as Mutt was clearly anti-establishment in Skull. He would have been against the war. The idea that he signs up to tick off his dad is kind of ridiculous. I guess the screenplay does it just to have a rift between Indy and Marion, but they could have just as easily had him killed in some kind of accident because he was off trying to emulate his dad's sense of adventure.
Having grown up in The Sixties, missed the draft by a year, it would have been more likely he would have gone to Canada instead, which broke a lot of parents' hearts back and often divided families then.
Shannon Nutt (07-03-23)
Old 07-02-23, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

sorry, even the refrigerator cant save Indy from this bomb
Old 07-02-23, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

So much of this movie was too dark, especially the opening scene. I guess that is needed to hide the CGI de-aging better. At least in the old movies, when they were in some cavern or chamber, it was always well light even if it should have been a lot darker.

It felt like they shot a lot of it in extreme close ups. I don't know if that was done so they wouldn't have to show as much of the surroundings which seemed to be either CGI'ed or green screened in or whatever they do these days. At least in the old movies, you can tell if a shot was done with blue or green screen. Now you can't really tell but the backgrounds still look like they weren't actually shot along with the foreground. Like the whole tuk-tuk chase scene didn't seem real. I'd rather have far away shots of stunt performers than close up shots of the actors with fake backgrounds.

There were no real memorable stunts which is what this series was known for. Indy only used his whip one time that I can remember.
Old 07-03-23, 12:45 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 129 Posts

Enjoyed it. Had no idea the time travel would end at archimedes.
liked all the nods to the originals. Not sure how a non trained diver can just drop to 300 ft. No stress.

6/10
Old 07-03-23, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 527 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So much of this movie was too dark, especially the opening scene.
No kidding. The day before I saw it, I was at the theatre to see Elemental, and I peeked into one of the auditoriums playing Dial and couldn't believe how murky the picture was. I thought the theatre must have been projecting it incorrectly. So when I went to see it, I splurged for the "Laser Ultra" screening which is supposed to be a superior picture, but didn't notice any difference, looked just as dark.
Old 07-03-23, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 197 Posts

I enjoyed it more than I did Crystal Skull on the first watch, even if I did end up liking Crystal Skull more on rewatches. This one is too long, and agree that it was a kind of depressing end to Indy's career. The two previous Indy movies had much more satisfying endings, but I guess I'm glad he and Marion got back together. Helena was completely unlikable, and I had a hard time seeing how Indy would put up with any of her shit throughout the movie. The time travel aspect was kind of cool, and I honestly expected Indy to die on the hill watching that final battle.
Dr. DVD (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Its the first movie to get my butt into a theater - a proper theater and not the drive-in which I love- I thought the movie did well and Im glad they didn't kill him off which was what I was expecting and Im glad he didn't stay back in time although I get the allure its off-brand. I liked it overall and felt it was a good way to end the franchise for Harrison Ford. Wombat was dickish but my love for FWB allows me to overlook that and my wife and I were desperately hoping for her to break the third wall.

My hope is that a crappy apartment is just a place he stayed during the semester and he still had the estate from his Dad but it was sad and depressing to see him end up in a slum and not heading a museum as others pointed out. I will watch it again when its streaming on Disney+ I doubt it has the legs to stay in the drive-in too long and I am unable to see it again until mid month..
Old 07-03-23, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

Caught this Saturday and the positives outweigh the negatives enough for me to give it 3 out of 5 stars. As others have said , first 20 minutes is probably some of the best in the franchise. Everything else is a mixed bag. I think Bridges kind of got screwed by the writers and was just reciting what was on the page in whatever style she knew how to do. It was clear when they first introduced Helena they wanted "Fleabag" in an Indiana Jones movie, and as it moved forward she got less like that character. Acting was solid from everyone and kudos to them for not going overboard with green screen. It was just a bit too long and the climax was a bit of a mess. But overall, I enjoyed it.

Sidenote: I think a lot of the YouTube reviewers hating on this had their reviews ready before they even saw the movie. I am curious as to how the originals would have been received in the age of the internet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
ntnon (07-07-23), story (07-07-23)
Old 07-03-23, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 173 Posts

Geesh, tough crowd. Really had fun with this one and it exceeded my tempered expectations. I kept waiting for characters to be annoying and they weren't, I kept waiting for this let down of an ending and it never came either.

It is too long, right from the opening flashback you could tell the pacing was just off - and a lot of scenes felt that way. Cutting the Tangiers chase altogether would've been fine - getting us to the cavern explorations faster and using the device sooner - and giving us a full third act in that past timeline rather than it feeling tacked on was what I would've preferred. I also would've liked some darker spiritual/fantasy elements rather than just being explained away as mathematics.

I still left more than satisfied and will definitely catch it one more time on a premium screen.
The following 3 users liked this post by Artman:
Daytripper (07-08-23), JeremyM (07-05-23), ntnon (07-07-23)
Old 07-03-23, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,485 Likes on 913 Posts

My wife and I saw this tonight and we both pretty much had the same feelings for it as a whole...meh.

It isn't good but it isn't bad. It is way better than the steaming turd that Crystal Skull is but my dump earlier today was better than that movie. So no lofty bar to reach on that.

Helena was so annoying. Couldn't stand her the entire movie and really did not understand why she gave so much of a fuck for him to go back to 1969. It just didn't make any sense the way she had acted toward him the entire movie.

This movie needed an hour trimmed off of it. An hour! There is an interesting movie in there, but it is buried so far down with boring, unnecessary exposition scenes, that it drags the entire time. The action is dull, the humor is non-existent, and the call-backs are nothing special. Look...bugs and a similar diamond chase scene from Temple...Sallah...not snakes but eels....and so on. Eh.

The entire CG Indy opening scene could have been jettisoned and that info relayed via a 3-minute flashback or conversation. The whole opening scene was neither exciting nor interesting. Torpedo Helena out of the movie. Gone. We don't need her, and we don't need another kid sidekick. And who approved the CG train walk? Dear lord. This movie cost $300 million and they couldn't green screen a real human walking on a real train? Not the only bad CG in the movie but it was likely the worst.

I felt the movie was at its most engaging when you were just seeing Indy in his day to day and how he was handling things on his own. No sidekicks.

Anyway, enjoyed the stuff after the flashback and up to the team-up with Helena. Then dullsville until the time travel. Seriously...I am not scared...cut out an hour! No need for this movie to be 2 and a half hours long! I was really surprised they went the time travel route but once they got to that, the movie was infinitely more interesting. I was truly hoping they would leave Indiana in the past which I thought would have been an awesome end for Dr. Jones.

I never felt very emotional toward the movie at all until right at the end when Indy and Marion re-did the charming kiss scene from Raiders. It was tough to watch them so aged. I saw Raiders at least 5 or 6 times in the theater from 1981 to 1983 (remember when movies would run for YEARS!) and it is one of my all-time favorites. I was only 8 in 1981 and sitting as a 50-year-old with my wife, seeing them reenact one of my favorite romantic/comic scenes, brought a tear to my eye. But that was it for emotion on this one. The rest of it is pretty dry and by the numbers.

My rating: 2.75 stars out of 5.

ps. Such a great decision to kill Mutt. Maybe they will kill off Helena in the next one when Harrison is 90.
Old 07-04-23, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 297 Posts

I enjoyed it. It was better than KOTCS. And it put a bow on the character. That’s all I really wanted. So mission accomplished.

Also it bombed enough and people disliked Helena enough that I don’t think we will get the Helena and Shortround Jr spin off that Disney obviously wanted. I really hope they never make another Indiana Jones film. Not a spin off or especially a recast.

I’m happy enough with the film that I’ll definitely buy the inevitable 5 film 4K set and will watch the whole series whenever I decide I need to see the fedora and whip again.

3.5/5
Old 07-04-23, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,353 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I’m happy enough with the film that I’ll definitely buy the inevitable 5 film 4K set and will watch the whole series whenever I decide I need to see the fedora and whip again.

3.5/5
I already own the current set. There would have to be compelling reasons to buy another set. I'll be happy with the single movie on 4k.
Hazel Motes (07-04-23)
Old 07-04-23, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 297 Posts

Yeah I was going to buy it, but with the new film
coming, which I assumed to be the last, I decided to wait.
Old 07-04-23, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,485 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes

3.5/5
It was enough that I decided to put my set up for sale and downgrade to just owning the first two. I need to clear out stuff at this point and have finally gotten over my collector's mentality that I have to have every installment in something even if I don't like it (well...at least in movies. ).

After recently revisiting Holy Grail, I don't have any interest in seeing it ever again. It hasn't aged well to me. It is just an inferior Raiders rehash with Connery being annoying for its entirety and Indy being his comedic foil. And I can't make myself sit through Crystal Skull ever again. I have given it three shots and just...ugh...

I know people love to hate on Doom but at least it is completely different from Raiders and Indy is a fucking badass in it. Yeah, Willie is annoying, as is Short Round, (though he has grown on me over the years, maybe due to having a son), but the story is so dark and great. It would never get made today and makes me like it even more. It is definitely not your cookie cutter sequel that we get too many of nowadays.
Dr. DVD (07-05-23)
Old 07-04-23, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 197 Posts

Were there articles or something that indicated a potential spinoff after this came out? I have no desire to see any more in this universe. Too bad Uncharted wasn't as good as it could have been, that would have scratched the Indiana Jones itch without continuing this franchise.
Old 07-04-23, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Too bad Uncharted wasn't as good as it could have been, that would have scratched the Indiana Jones itch without continuing this franchise.
Speaking of Uncharted, last night I was watching Extraction II and midway through the "one take" action sequence, I couldn't help but think that had the former flick been 50% Indiana Jones - 50% Extraction II's "one take" sequence (in terms of exhilarating action), we'd have a modern successor to the Indiana Jones franchise (well, you'd also have to recast Nate with Nolan North or Nathan Fillion).

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-04-23 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-04-23, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Wombat was dickish but my love for FWB allows me to overlook that and my wife and I were desperately hoping for her to break the third wall.
I have no prior reference for Waller-Bridge. I found her so annoying that I spent much of the movie wondering how much more I’d prefer someone like Emily Blunt in the role. I think she at least would have come off more enjoyable even being as conniving and money-hungry as the character was.

Originally Posted by Artman
I kept waiting for this let down of an ending and it never came either.
Really? Seeing Indy and Marion being depressed and looking uncomfortable with each other in shitty little apartment wasn’t a let down? Seriously, the final shot in Indy’s legacy is him snagging his hat of a clothesline hanging over a filthy NY fire escape. I’m not sure I could think of a worse ending for Indiana Jones.
Old 07-04-23, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I have no prior reference for Waller-Bridge. I found her so annoying that I spent much of the movie wondering how much more I’d prefer someone like Emily Blunt in the role. I think she at least would have come off more enjoyable even being as conniving and money-hungry as the character was.
My only prior experience with Phoebe Waller-Bridge is Solo, and I found her insufferable in that (for completely different reasons). If she's as great as her fans claim, someone at Lucasfilm hates her, given they saddled her with two shitty characters.
​​​​

Seriously, the final shot in Indy’s legacy is him snagging his hat of a clothesline hanging over a filthy NY fire escape. I’m not sure I could think of a worse ending for Indiana Jones.
I believe that bit was an afterthought and swear the hand looked composited into the final shot.
GoldenJCJ (07-04-23)
Old 07-04-23, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I believe that bit was an afterthought and swear the hand looked composited into the final shot.
Even worse.

Studio exec 1: “So how should we conclude the character if Indiana Jones? Finally let him find some of that “fortune and glory”? A final shot of him wandering a museum to see all his amazing discoveries on view? Make him world famous for his lifetime of adventure? Or maybe we see that he inspired several generations of kids to explore the world and appreciate history. In a move that mirrors real life?

Studio Exec 2: “Shit no! We end it with Indy’s hat drying on a clothesline from the fire escape of a big city slum!”

Studio Exec 1: “Uh, ok. But we never even see his hat get wet.”

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 07-04-23 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-04-23, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

I spent much of the movie wondering how much more I’d prefer someone like Emily Blunt in the role.
I saw this with my dad and told him the same thing afterward. Blunt would have probably brought enough charisma to make the brash qualities of Helena more tolerable.

I'm normally not big on fan service, but (as a final installment) I actually wish Dial of Destiny had more of it. I kept thinking of ways they could have inserted cameos from established characters. Like maybe Indy is hung-over in his reclining chair and turns on the television, only to see Willie Scott being interviewed on The Dick Cavett Show about her career as a famous nightclub performer. Indy stops for a moment and watches her blabber on about how she was the object of desire for many famous men. He then downs a shot of bourbon and switches channels. As for Short Round, he could have easily been a contact for Indy at some point. Maybe taken the place of Banderas' character without being unceremoniously killed. They could have even hinted at a romance for him and Helena (what an odd couple they would make), since that element is sorely lacking throughout the movie.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-04-23 at 06:36 PM.
GoldenJCJ (07-04-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.