Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite depiction of super-speed in a movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favorite depiction of super-speed in a movie?

Old 10-27-22, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 638 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: Favorite depiction of super-speed in a movie?

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg View Post
Oh yeah this one's awesome! Especially with Michael Giachinno's 100 mile dash. Such an Epic scene.
Old 10-27-22, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (10-27-22)
Old 10-27-22, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 950 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
The song is messing it up. Without the song, what are they are depicting makes sense as what he would experience compared to everything else in super slo-mo. But you are correct, he can't be listening to a couple minutes of that song.
I think the implication is that everything touching him is encased in like a "time bubble". So he's breathing normally, his clothes are moving normally, and the music he's listening to (and the tape player itself) are all moving "normally". And when he moves their guns or interacts with objects, those objects are also briefly caught in that bubble and move "normally" - that's how he can reposition things as if he were doing it at normal speed. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to move their arms without tearing them out of their sockets or blowing them to pieces - it would be like being hit by the fastest bullet ever fired.

Of course it's all comic book silliness but as a viewer, it makes sense to me.

Also that Wizard of Speed and Time clip is honestly damn impressive considering the technical limitations of that time.
Old 10-27-22, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 758 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Of course it's all comic book silliness but as a viewer, it makes sense to me.
It "makes sense" because it is so well produced that a viewer is too busy being entertained to slow down and think about it. I'm just examining it at maxfisher's prodding.
Old 10-27-22, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 521 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Oh yeah this one's awesome! Especially with Michael Giachinno's 100 mile dash. Such an Epic scene.
You can see how much the Wizard of Speed and Time influenced that sequence.. even replacing the banana slip with the vine swing to propel Dash through the air.
The following users liked this post:
Jason Bovberg (10-27-22)
Old 10-27-22, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 950 Likes on 602 Posts

It "makes sense" because it is so well produced that a viewer is too busy being entertained to slow down and think about it. I'm just examining it at maxfisher's prodding.
I mean, I'm thinking about it too. And it makes sense as a depiction of what is happening.

In "reality", if you used super-speed to do all of your chores, your house would explode because everything in it would suddenly move at super-speed too because you interacted with it so fast that everything would probably disintegrate. Like, you couldn't vacuum at super-speed because the vacuum wouldn't be moving at super-speed with you, the dirt wouldn't be collected at super-speed, etc.

But if you suppose that everything Quicksilver touches joins him in a "time bubble", then everything can move normally relative to him. Which is what the movie is showing us.
Old 10-27-22, 04:32 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think I picked up on it on first viewing at the theater, but after noticing it and on subsequent viewings I think it's cool how they have Cap (and Black Panther) blow past everyone here:

(but also a missed opportunity to insert a subtle "on your left")
Old 10-27-22, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

I understand what you are saying. If I run down the street versus walk down the street, I do not perceive things to be moving slower around me, I perceive myself to be moving faster. But that's because my brain is only set up to perceive the passage of time in one way.

If someone possesses the ability to move at super-speed, perhaps their brain is able to perceive time in a different manner.
[...]
And so, it is possible this depiction of super-speed is correct as it depicts how Quicksilver perceives the world when he is moving super-fast. Because his brain is mutated, he perceives himself moving at regular speed and the world around him as slowing down. The exact opposite how of my unmutated brain perceives the world when I run down the street.
This is how it is explained in The Flash comic books. I believe that explanation originated during Mark Waid's run. They also explained that he is able to "relax" his brain back to normal processing speed if he needs/wants to, so that if he is, for example, running from Boston to New York, his brain doesn't perceive that as 100 hours of continuous running.

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Again, I think it's fine to just wave the comic book magic wand for the movies. But I believe (and certainly welcome correction if I'm misunderstanding or misapplying the laws of physics) that when an object moves that fast relative to the objects around it, the objects around it experience a longer amount of time than it does.
This is correct, but it's really only significant once you get very close to the speed of light. The other thing that happens when you're going that fast is that mass increases. In the comics, when The Flash has approached (or exceeded) the speed of light, they've never addressed those relativistic effects.

Last edited by TheBang; 10-27-22 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-27-22, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,361 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
This is how it is explained in The Flash comic books. I believe that explanation originated during Mark Waid's run. They also explained that he is able to "relax" his brain back to normal processing speed if he needs/wants to, so that if he is, for example, running from Boston to New York, his brain doesn't perceive that as 100 hours of continuous running.
Yeah, otherwise he'd be bored to tears interacting with anybody (and would have a really really hard time communicating with people). "Speed Force" for the win. I'm not sure about the running thing, though, I mean he has to be paying attention during that whole run or he'd run into stuff. But there's a ton of "real life" problems with super speed: perception, reflexes, some form of invulnerability to survive wind resistance, clothes, shoes, the surface you're running on, what happens in the moments when you're falling (even while running) and not in contact with anything, hearing things, communicating, seeing, how you store energy, how do you interact with objects that aren't moving at the same speed, etc. etc. etc. But that's true of almost every superpower imaginable, even something as simple as, say, flying.

There's also an issue of Flash by Waid and Weiringo where he's basically stuck in a moment with everything stopped around him.
Old 10-27-22, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
some form of invulnerability to survive wind resistance, clothes, shoes, the surface you're running on
I think they tried to address at least these in Flash comics by saying he had an aura that protected him from the effects of friction. In Batman: Holy Terror, the bad guys found a way to negate the aura and Barry Allen burned up due to friction.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
There's also an issue of Flash by Waid and Weiringo where he's basically stuck in a moment with everything stopped around him.
I think that's Flash 91, the introduction of the Speed Force: https://www.cbr.com/look-back-flash-speed-force/

But, guys, c'mon, clearly the best movie super-speed depiction is the top Oscar cheerworthy moment in cinema history, right?

Last edited by TheBang; 10-27-22 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-27-22, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 758 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I mean, I'm thinking about it too. And it makes sense as a depiction of what is happening.

But if you suppose that everything Quicksilver touches joins him in a "time bubble", then everything can move normally relative to him. Which is what the movie is showing us.
My point was that the intention of the filmmakers was to present a scene where the entertainment value would override any critical thinking about how it was supposed to be happening beyond accepting that Quicksilver can move super-fast. So in the moment, no one is supposed to have these kind of questions popping into their heads.If eight years ago, you were sitting in a theater supposing that there was a time bubble in play, then that's great. But I am not a comic book guy, so I have absolutely no idea if or how they ever attempt to explain how Quicksilver and Flash do what they do. I wish you had been sitting in the theater with me in 1978 to explain how reversing the Earth's rotation was supposed to turn back time, because I was just a kid and I knew it was horseshit.
Old 10-27-22, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,361 Likes on 1,065 Posts

See it was just the visual representation of how Silver Age Superman traveled through time...
Old 10-28-22, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts

Had me at this scene. Stephen Chow must loved those Road Runner cartoon.