Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nope (2022, D: Peele) -- S: Kaluuya, Palmer, Yeun -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Nope?
7.32%
17.07%
34.15%
26.83%
7.32%
0%
4.88%
0%
2.44%
0%
0%
Nope for me!!
0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Nope (2022, D: Peele) -- S: Kaluuya, Palmer, Yeun -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-22, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Nope (2022, D: Peele) -- S: Kaluuya, Palmer, Yeun -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by story
I forgot to post that I saw this a few weeks ago. It was very pretty and had a very good atmosphere. The last act really dragged for me, unfortunately.
I caught up with this a couple weeks ago as well. I think we may be in the same ballpark - I liked the set-up a lot (I could have done without the chimp TV show subplot, but I understand its use) but quickly lost interest when the mystery was revealed...and the movie still had about 45 minutes to go.
The following users liked this post:
story (10-03-22)
Old 10-29-22, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Nope (2022, D: Peele) -- S: Kaluuya, Palmer, Yeun -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

This went to the cheaper $5.99 rental vs. the $19.99 rental it’s been the last few weeks so I finally watched it.

I loved the first two acts but I’m still digesting whether I liked the third act or not. I think I did but also felt like there was some exposition left in the cutting room floor. Out of nowhere they started talking about electromagnetic fields and the “TMZ” guy felt like he came out of left field.

A few minor issues aside, this was very effective. Probably my favorite Jordan Peele movie to date and without a doubt his most polished movie. There were some really iconic shots/scenes throughout. The stuff with the inflatable tube men was fantastic!

I was also happy to see a high quality movie featuring a black cast that didn’t involve a young black comedian dressing up as an old black lady. Daniel Kaluuya was great as the strong silent protagonist. The Fry’s guy started out a bit annoying but got better as the movie went on.
Old 11-14-22, 03:40 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

This will be on Peacock on Nov. 18.
Old 11-24-22, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
why would a big blow up doll kill it?
Just like animals and little kids, it could choke on swallowing balloons.
There was a lot of balloon stuff in the movie.
The creature looked kinda like a balloon (or parachute) at the end. Makes you think of fake UFOs that are balloons. The electronics guy wrapped himself in barb wire before getting sucked up. Creature looked kinda "shredded" towards the end like barb wire would do to a balloon.
The old story about kids accidently sucking in balloons while blowing them up.
The battery powered advertising balloons used as a warning system.
The following 2 users liked this post by rw2516:
Giantrobo (11-25-22), OldBoy (11-24-22)
Old 11-24-22, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

This bored me. Jordan Peele is starting to lose me as a fan
Old 11-24-22, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

It was ok, I don't think the creature was terriflying as in A Quiet Place.
Old 11-26-22, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Saw this on Peacock. Most suspenseful to me was when the kids pranked him as aliens in the stable. Otherwise a bit too long but watcheable. Wouldn't feel a need to see again.
Old 11-26-22, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Most suspenseful to me was when the kids pranked him as aliens in the stable. Otherwise a bit too long but watcheable. Wouldn't feel a need to see again.
Agreed. I was kind of disappointed when it turned out to be a prank since the sequence was so suspenseful.
Old 11-27-22, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Agreed. I was kind of disappointed when it turned out to be a prank since the sequence was so suspenseful.
This scene was masterful ... the issue was that the prank didn't pay off later.
GoldenJCJ (11-27-22)
Old 12-31-22, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I liked this quite a bit more than Get Out which seemed way overhyped. I thought it was a pretty good movie with decent merit for an original story. The Monkey part of things was odd, to say the least and probably the most horrifying thing was the last fist bump. I can't imagine a set without an animal handler or all the people fleeing the room leaving the kid by himself but that is another story. I'd love to know the story behind the upright shoe and I'll probably see this again once it hits a streamer. Not an A or 5-star movie but a solid B effort.
Subtitles reveled that the person who was telling Gordy “down” or stop was a “trainer”.
Those scenes of the Gordy show were chilling and crazy eery and downright disturbing.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I never got the idea he'd been having the alien eat horses for audiences for six months. Based on the lights OJ sees at night, I'm pretty sure he's doing "rehearsals", thinking he's training it. The show we see that everyone gets eaten at is the first time he's doing this show for an audience of anyone.
I didn’t pick up on that but it makes a lot of sense.

Noticed or at least it sounded to me that when Gordy was pummeling Mary Jo and Tom the ballon pops and some other sounds where very similar to the sounds that Jean Jacket was making.

The opening of the movie with the Gordy show was super weird. Saw the Monkey Paw titles and then it goes into the Gordy thing. I thought
It might be part of the opening credit for a second.

Anyway, first hour was a bit shaky for me. Dialog was stilted much like one of the bad M. Night movies. So I was worried.

Rest of the movie was pretty good.

No problem with the shifting alien. How do we know what something like that could be.

Gave it 3.5 stars because the first act was not great.

Also I think “Nope” was said about a dozen times.

One more thing, Thought Peacock’s stream was pretty good. Lots of scenes that were very dark but it looked good. Liked the shifting imax screen image too.
Old 01-03-23, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

I love this youtube channel and he does a great job explaining a lot of the more subtle plot points that I missed.

Trevor (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 08:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I generally hate to give out 5 stars, feel that should be reserved for maybe 10-20 films all-time, but this one is close. Peele is pretty much perfect as a filmmaker imho, probably still have Get Out as tops.