Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nope (2022, D: Peele) -- S: Kaluuya, Palmer, Yeun -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Nope?
7.32%
17.07%
34.15%
26.83%
7.32%
0%
4.88%
0%
2.44%
0%
0%
Nope for me!!
0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Nope (2022, D: Peele) -- S: Kaluuya, Palmer, Yeun -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: Nope (2022, D: Peele) -- S: Kaluuya, Palmer, Yeun -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Noonan
Enjoyed this overall but had some annoyances.
Small items like coins and keys would never be able to cause that much damage unless they were fired rather than dropped. A coin going through a person’s eye and killing them or a house key getting stuck in a wood beam are hilarious and Peele should have known better. Even at their terminal velocity, it wouldn’t be close.
This bugged me as well, but I was forced to accept it as an "urban legend" included in the movie because it was cool.

If JJ was being fed horses, where did the human debris come from that killed the father? We never heard of any other people missing.
No, in the first scene where OJ is working at night, the radio news is talking about a group of missing hikers who've yet to be found.

But speaking of the horses, I questioned the economics of Jupe buying OJ's horses. Since these were trained animals, I'd think he must have been selling them at a higher price than what Jupe could have gotten from buying horses at the glue factory or whatever.

Old 08-30-22, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 913 Likes on 673 Posts
Re: Nope (2022, D: Peele) -- S: Kaluuya, Palmer, Yeun -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Yeah, wasn’t Lucky like $11k? Why not just wrangle some wild horses in the valley for free.
Old 08-30-22, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

How did an occasional horse keep JJ fed if it was later able to suck up 20+ people with no issue? If I eat a steak every day, I couldn’t one day eat a whole cow because I feel like it.

How exactly did a balloon popping cause it to blow up? It’s not a pressurized tank like in Jaws and JJ has a hole (mouth) to let out air. That balloon popping shouldn’t have caused it any damage.

I’m OK with leaving things to the imagination but what was up with the transformation? Was that like an evolution of some type or are we to assume JJ could go back and forth at will?
On food and the transformation, considering the variation we see in terrestrial nature, I don't have a problem with something alien being a bit incomprehensible to us initially.

Regarding the balloon, I initially had the same thought, but wrote it off to a 'lucky shot.' As in, if the creature had an internal weak spot, was squeezing incredibly hard and the balloon happened to pop in just the right direction, I can buy it causing damage. At that point, it'd basically just be turning the creature's strength against itself.
Old 08-30-22, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Jordan Peele Hints at ‘Nope’ Sequel: ‘We’re Not Over Telling All of These Stories’

There might be mild spoilers in the story linked so I won't post any text. I haven't seen it.
Old 09-02-22, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Finally saw this tonight. Was initially disappointed when I heard there were no Greys and then I guessed the UFO was alive.

Was blown away at how wonderful the movie was; not scary but ethereally unsettling at key points. Also pleasantly surprised at the Grey fakeout scene.

I think this is Peele’s best work so far and his most nuanced.
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (09-02-22)
Old 09-02-22, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

It's now on my short list of possible movies to watch this Friday for National Cinema Day.
Old 09-02-22, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Yeah, wasn’t Lucky like $11k? Why not just wrangle some wild horses in the valley for free.
Another theme of the movie ... do you really think Jupe was capable of wrangling wild horses? No, he was an entertainer, not a rancher. It is yet another theme tying back to the animals ... humanity trying to maximize profit off of nature and nature's work.
Old 09-04-22, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Ugh, what a disappointment. I loved it all the way up until "The plan".

I love Jordan Peele's style. "Us" was so damn good, I love that movie. Get out was very generic and bland.

I was really into "Nope", was just so onboard and loving it then it just all went to shit. Too bad but I'll always tune into whatever Peele does next.
Old 09-04-22, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,197 Likes on 4,224 Posts

Crocker Jarmen (09-04-22)
Old 09-05-22, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Ugh, what a disappointment. I loved it all the way up until "The plan".

I love Jordan Peele's style. "Us" was so damn good, I love that movie. Get out was very generic and bland.

I was really into "Nope", was just so onboard and loving it then it just all went to shit. Too bad but I'll always tune into whatever Peele does next.
You don't think "Us" turned to shit with that stupid, stupid, STUPID ending and explanation?
Old 09-05-22, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
You don't think "Us" turned to shit with that stupid, stupid, STUPID ending and explanation?
IMO this was just as good as Get Out and Us was not anywhere near as good.
Old 09-05-22, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Loved this. Was surprised by its simple plot. Not a bad thing. I just expected it to get bigger and deeper into everything.

Not knowing any details going in, it’s fun to experience movies knowing so little.
Old 09-06-22, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
No because I didn't think it was a stupid, stupid, STUPID explanation.

You didn't think that stupid, stupid, STUPID spaceship named jean jacket was a beyond stupid, stupid, STUPID idea?

JK, I posted my opinion on the film - you loved it and I hated it - all good.
Old 09-09-22, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I gave this 1 star and I seriously considered half a star. I "got" it. I understood the chimp sub-plot (to be honest that might have been a better movie). I even think the concept of a UFO alien was clever. But holy hell the movie was just completely idotic and stupid. It was incredibly boring. Characters were in no way interesting despite trying to make them quirky and interesting. It was SOOOOO slow. It did not connect with me on any level. The plot was idiotic, the acting was overdone, the direction was poor and there was no payoff. I guess I am weird because I don't see how anyone could think this was a good movie. FWIW I hated US as well.

I did like the one shot where the creature is sort of beaming up a horse in the daylight.

Also, if we are to accept that this dude has for 6 months shown an UFO alien eating a horse and the place (and show) was not mobbed by a million people is completely nonsensical.
Old 09-09-22, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,197 Likes on 4,224 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Also, if we are to accept that this dude has for 6 months shown an UFO alien eating a horse and the place (and show) was not mobbed by a million people is completely nonsensical.
I disagree with most of what you said, but not this. If he were showing a horse-eating alien to a crowd of paid spectators, it wouldn't be a secret for long at all.
Old 09-10-22, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I never got the idea he'd been having the alien eat horses for audiences for six months. Based on the lights OJ sees at night, I'm pretty sure he's doing "rehearsals", thinking he's training it. The show we see that everyone gets eaten at is the first time he's doing this show for an audience of anyone.
Old 09-11-22, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I never got the idea he'd been having the alien eat horses for audiences for six months. Based on the lights OJ sees at night, I'm pretty sure he's doing "rehearsals", thinking he's training it. The show we see that everyone gets eaten at is the first time he's doing this show for an audience of anyone.
This. Jupe saw the thing, attracted it back with horses, it ate the hikers*, crapped out all the trinkets and killed Otis, Sr., and Jupe kept it coming back with horses every Friday night. During that Friday night ritual, he began "training" it so he could unveil it to an audience (which goes horribly wrong, just like the chimp).

*TMIB studio note: the "hikers" should have been a group of trail riders on horseback. This would emphasize this thing doesn't have an attraction to, or appetite for people, but rather accidentally eats them (like a whale or a shark, it just opens mouth and eats what it sucks in). It was eating their horses which were hitched for the night. They just got sucked up, too. Explains why it wasn't just eating people all the time and that our protagonists have pissed it off.
Giantrobo (11-22-22)
Old 09-11-22, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I watched Star Trek TMP last night and couldn't help noticing that parts of V'ger look somewhat like Jean Jacket. From the patterns and intricacies to the weird noises and pops it made. I wouldn't be surprised if Peele pulled some inspiration from it.
Crocker Jarmen (09-11-22)
Old 09-11-22, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I think the Gordie business was the highlight of the movie. I agree with Crocker Jarman about the creepypasta/urban legend vibe that gave off. And it was the most genuinely terrifying sequence I've seen in a movie in years. It also had this kind of weird thing going where if you know what chimpanzees are capable of despite them being used by Hollywood and advertising as the prototypical "cute monkey," it just becomes terrifying.

That said, I think that the themes and messaging in this movie were so heavy-handed that they got in the way of the plot and made the movie too clunky and clumsy for its own good. And, with the themes being "wild animals are unpredictable and hard to tame" and "people are drawn to grotesque spectacles," they aren't exactly controversial, but the movie just kind of beats you over the head with it. When these are being applied to a giant flying saucer monster, it got in the way of its own story and it became so blatantly metaphorical that it pulled me out of the movie. I think the script could have used a touch-up to make this stuff more subtle.

One metaphor that I did like, which was more subtle, was the use of Fry's Electronics. It sort of felt like product placement, but knowing that the chain was dying a slow death really added to the dystopian and apocalyptic feel of the movie, with the washed up child actor desperately clinging onto and trying to recapture his past fame, and the Hollywood horse wranglers facing a changing Hollywood landscape where they're no longer needed, being replaced with CGI (and, apparently, camels).
Old 09-11-22, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I gave this 1 star and I seriously considered half a star. I "got" it. I understood the chimp sub-plot (to be honest that might have been a better movie). I even think the concept of a UFO alien was clever. But holy hell the movie was just completely idotic and stupid. It was incredibly boring. Characters were in no way interesting despite trying to make them quirky and interesting. It was SOOOOO slow. It did not connect with me on any level. The plot was idiotic, the acting was overdone, the direction was poor and there was no payoff. I guess I am weird because I don't see how anyone could think this was a good movie. FWIW I hated US as well.
I find the last sentence in this paragraph both informative and amusing since everything that precedes it sums up my experience watching Us. I hated that movie so much, despite enjoying (though not exactly loving) Get Out, that I was completely unsure I'd want to see this movie. The marketing also failed to pique my interest. I guess this'll be something I'll watch someday when there's nothing else to see.​​​​
Old 09-11-22, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I've said it before, but the problem with Us is that it would make a good, punchy episode of The Twilight Zone, but when it's stretched out into a two hour movie the central conceit falls apart. It gives you enough to time to sit there and think about how it doesn't really make much sense, and you start to figure out the logistics of the whole thing, like how they're keeping these millions of people alive in an underground facility with food and medical care and water and plumbing, and how those facilities are maintened. Get Out is a similar kind of Twilight Zone story stretched into a movie, but it works much better.

I had the same problem with Looper, which felt like three episodes of The Twilight Zone mashed together into a single movie. Where what would have been a cool twist ending to a short story (like the hitman who kills people sent to him from the future finds out his last kill is... himself) turns into "that's kind of dumb... what's the point of doing that?" when it's applied to a two hour movie.
Old 09-12-22, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I had the same problem with Looper, which felt like three episodes of The Twilight Zone mashed together into a single movie. Where what would have been a cool twist ending to a short story (like the hitman who kills people sent to him from the future finds out his last kill is... himself) turns into "that's kind of dumb... what's the point of doing that?" when it's applied to a two hour movie.
Yeah, didn't care for Looper either. Almost made me pass on Knives Out. What a mistake that would have been.
Old 09-12-22, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yeah, didn't care for Looper either. Almost made me pass on Knives Out. What a mistake that would have been.
Also didn't care for Looper. Loved Knives Out and almost skipped it after the dumbest SW movie ever IMO

As I said I like the general idea of Nope. But I think if you gave 10 directors like a short overview of the concept and had them film it, Peele would likely have made one of the worst versions.
Old 10-03-22, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
That SNL would do a sketch about a real life instance where a chimp mutilated and beat people to death on the set of a sitcom. That’s implausible.
Seemed incredulous but we're talking about a movie about a giant UFO creature sucking things up. Yeah, let's hang around and try to film it. Jupe putting on that show. This is all just beyond stupid. People are over analyzing to justify an unjustifiably stupid plot.

Em character was insufferable and OJ was a muttering half wit. Aren't we supposed to care about the characters?
Old 10-03-22, 10:26 AM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I forgot to post that I saw this a few weeks ago. It was very pretty and had a very good atmosphere. The last act really dragged for me, unfortunately.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.