Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is Hollywood still racist?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Is Hollywood still racist?
Yes.
55.00%
Somehat.
20.00%
No.
10.00%
Other (please explain...)
0%
What are you high?
15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Why is Hollywood still racist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Why is Hollywood still racist?

Hope no one brings up Short Circuit.
Old 01-22-22, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Wait, I’m confused, though being a Old Boy thread, I guess I shouldn’t be. Why is Hollywood still racist? What is that assumption based on? I couldn’t tell in the word salad that makes up the initial post. Because Maggie Q isn’t John Wick?
Old 01-22-22, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Wait, I’m confused, though being a Old Boy thread, I guess I shouldn’t be. Why is Hollywood still racist? What is that assumption based on? I couldn’t tell in the word salad that makes up the initial post. Because Maggie Q isn’t John Wick?

And you supposedly are highly educated. Med school my ass!

😉
Old 01-23-22, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Just keep in mind that originally, the studio wanted a white male lead for Crazy Rich Asians, and that's all you need to know.
Well, instead they got a half-Asian dude like Henry Golding.
Old 01-23-22, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
They got it half right.

You beat me to it.
Old 01-23-22, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
aren’t the people in Hollywood people in society? They aren’t in a bubble which is why I don’t understand the prejudice on such an impressionable medium.
No, the people RUNNING studios in Hollywood are most definitely NOT the average people in society.

Not even close.
Old 01-23-22, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

There are several reasons for underrepresentation. People tend to be drawn to familiarity. To simplify: A white male exec hires a white male director, who hires a white male lead and the movie is shown to an audience which is predominantly white. That's not racist, that's just ignorant in the true sense of the word. The same movie could have been directed by Chloe Zhao and starring Denzel Washington and no one would mind. So in this scenario no one is actively desciding not to have a female asian director or a black lead, it just happens.

Another reason is a projection of "casual" racsicm. Execs thinking the audience won't be drawn to an Asian lead or like Aziz Ansari depicted this in his show, you can have one Indian or Pakistani character in a sitcom, two would be weird.

But there is also a misconception of what is underrepresented, so in a discussion like this one, the focus may shift and people tend to see underrepresentation where there is none. Transpeople make for less than 1% of the population, so if only a few transpeople are shown in movies it's acurate.
Old 01-23-22, 05:07 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I hope you are joking for this thread. If you are not, I don’t know what to tell you…
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So, in the case of Remo Williams you feel an American of Jewish descent was more qualified to play an Asian character than an actual Asian actor?
I probably didn't word that as well as I should have. I only meant to suggest that there have been many miscast roles, I just wonder why choices were made to cast an entirely illogical individual to play a role when a better choice could have been made.

I'm probably still not saying it right.
Old 01-23-22, 06:37 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
But is it less confusing than the last time he broached the subject??
Old 01-23-22, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I mean Hollywood casting is deeply prejudiced... race, sex, age, body, looks, you name it. It's gotten much better in terms of race in recent years mainly because of activism, acknowledgement of the problem, and people of other races becoming directors, producers, etc. And there's this chicken and the egg problem, where society dictates who becomes a star and yet media also influences what we see as beautiful or attractive.
Old 01-23-22, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

if you go by our commercials (USA) we are the most diverse group on the planet! So there is that...

The following users liked this post:
Hubbub (01-23-22)
Old 01-23-22, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
But is it less confusing than the last time he broached the subject??
I can't believe that I missed his comment back in the summer. WTF! To say that because Bruce Lee was popular back in the 70's, Asians should just be happy and not make a big deal that Simu was cast as Shang Chi. Now this thread makes even less sense...
Chances are that OldBoy didn't even know that Joel Gray played Chiun in Remo Williams...
Old 01-23-22, 11:14 AM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Could you possibly ask a more leading question?
Old 01-24-22, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Warner/DC is also guilty, when they casted an Irish actor in the part of Ra's al Ghul.
Old 01-24-22, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

Hmm. Hollywood cast Keanu Reeves as a samurai in 47 Ronin. Was that because the producers are racist, or because they believed that audiences wouldn't go to a movie without a recognizable white star?
Old 01-24-22, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Hmm. Hollywood cast Keanu Reeves as a samurai in 47 Ronin. Was that because the producers are racist, or because they believed that audiences wouldn't go to a movie without a recognizable white star?
Yes, because Hollywood is well aware of the Racism, Bias, and Tribalism society. It's like Adult Actresses who claim they can't perform with Black Men in films because they know white men will be disgusted and not show up to their shows when they are Stripping on the road where they make a good chunk of their money.

So they cast Keanu, a white presenting man with some Asian heritage, in a role that probably should have gone to an Asian actor.

Old 01-24-22, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

So, is enabling racism racist?

Also, thread fail, the title asks "why is hollywood still racist?" but the poll asks "is hollywood still racist?"

That's two questions, man ...
Old 01-24-22, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kurt D
So, is enabling racism racist?

Also, thread fail, the title asks "why is hollywood still racist?" but the poll asks "is hollywood still racist?"

I think you're expecting a lot out of the OP here. Again, this is the same guy who asked why anyone needed to highlight Shang Chi as an Asian superhero which veered really close to "I don't see color" same as this one.
Old 01-24-22, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think you're expecting a lot out of the OP here. Again, this is the same guy who asked why anyone needed to highlight Shang Chi as an Asian superhero which veered really close to "I don't see color" same as this one.
truth

On a related note, I saw a news story about Idris Elba being a potential next James Bond today! (Runs out of room. Also, the owners of the IP said they would let Craig's clock fully run out before even talking about it, and a few years ago Elba said he was too old anyway.)
Old 01-24-22, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

I kind of question Destin Daniel Crettin about not seeing an Asian super hero, either in film or on tv, that he could be for Halloween when he grew up. He's from Hawaii. Granted he's 10 years younger than me, but I was Kikaider one year and Kamen Rider V3 for another.
fujishig (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I kind of question Destin Daniel Crettin about not seeing an Asian super hero, either in film or on tv, that he could be for Halloween when he grew up. He's from Hawaii. Granted he's 10 years younger than me, but I was Kikaider one year and Kamen Rider V3 for another.
What, no Inazuman or Battle Fever J (I always thought it funny that the American representative in that early Super Sentai was Miss America)?
Old 01-24-22, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D

Not the first time there’s been a brain fart between titling the thread and titling the poll. I just figured it was par for the course.
Old 01-24-22, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
What, no Inazuman or Battle Fever J (I always thought it funny that the American representative in that early Super Sentai was Miss America)?
I had Inazuman and Diamond Eye t-shirts! If I only had my vinyl figures and die cast vehicles from those days, I'd have a few thousand dollars easily today.
Old 01-24-22, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Remo Williams was 1985. I'm far more offended by Tilda Swinton being cast in Dr. Strange in 2016 playing a character that should have been Asian.
GoldenJCJ (01-24-22)