DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/654061-alec-baldwin-accidentally-kills-dp-prop-gun-director-shot-well.html)

dex14 10-21-21 09:42 PM

Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a set in New Mexico on Thursday, accidentally killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.

The incident occurred on the set of “Rust,” an independent feature that was filming at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, a popular production location south of Santa Fe.

Hutchins, 42, was transported by helicopter to University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, where she died. Souza, 48, was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe, where he was receiving emergency care.

No one was arrested in the incident, and no charges have been filed, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office. Detectives were interviewing witnesses, and the incident remains under an “open and active” investigation, according to the Sheriff’s office. Baldwin’s reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Hutchins’ death was confirmed by the Sheriff’s office and by the International Cinematographers Guild, Local 600.

“We received the devastating news this evening, that one of our members, Halyna Hutchins, the Director of Photography on a production called ‘Rust’ in New Mexico died from injuries sustained on the set,” said John Lindley, the president of the guild, and Rebecca Rhine, the executive director, in a statement. “The details are unclear at this moment, but we are working to learn more, and we support a full investigation into this tragic event. This is a terrible loss, and we mourn the passing of a member of our Guild’s family.”

The incident was reported at 1:50 p.m. Mountain Time.

“The Santa Fe County sheriff’s office confirms that two individuals were shot during filming of a scene on the set of the movie western ‘Rust’,” the office said in a statement. “According to investigators it appears that the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged. Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged.”

Hutchins graduated from the American Film Institute in 2015, and had worked on several short films before shooting “Archenemy,” a 2020 feature starring Joe Manganiello. She was named a “rising star” by American Cinematographer in 2019.

“She’s a wonderful, positive, creative person that was so excited to be breaking through and making movies,” said Michael Pessah, a cinematographer who was a friend of Hutchins’. “She was really on the upswing.”

Souza is writing and directing the Western, which also stars Frances Fisher, Jensen Ackles, Brady Noon and Travis Fimmel. Albuquerque station KOB4’s news helicopter photographed the incident, showing an old church set blocked off, and reported that set security confirmed it is on lockdown.

Baldwin is a co-producer on the film and plays infamous outlaw Rust, whose 13-year-old grandson is convicted of an accidental murder. Ackles plays a U.S. Marshal and Fimmel plays a bounty hunter who are on the pair’s tail as Rust tries to break his grandson out of prison. An unexpected bond forms between the outlaw and his estranged grandson as they go on the run.

CAA Media Finance and Highland Film Group were launching sales on the film at last year’s Cannes virtual film market, with Baldwin producing through his El Dorado Pictures banner alongside Anjul Nigam and executive producer Matthew Helderman. Baldwin and Nigam produced Souza’s previous feature, 2019’s “Crown Vic.” Anna Granucci is also producing with Elizabeth L. Barbatelli as an executive producer.

New Mexico is a busy film location, and the Bonanza Creek Ranch has hosted productions including “Hostiles,” “Cowboys & Aliens,” “3:10 to Yuma,” “Appaloosa” and “Longmire.”

Why So Blu? 10-21-21 09:48 PM

Re: Alec Baldwin accidentally kills DP with prop gun, director shot as well

Wow, that nuts. It's The Crow all over again. I had read the story earlier but it had just said that crew members were shot, but didn't specify who did the shooting.

EDIT - here are the non-specifics:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...015205941.html

mickey65 10-21-21 09:49 PM

Wow, I didn't know it was Alec who did the shooting! Imagine having to live with that for the rest of your life...geez.

Crocker Jarmen 10-21-21 09:51 PM

Jesus, I'm astonished it's still possible for a fuck-up like this to happen on a movie set, given how many times it's happened, you would think they've figured out all the safety angles. Why the hell are they even using props that are ever capable of causing harm, anyway?

Throwing Copper 10-21-21 09:51 PM

Check Twitter, folks.

What an awful awful thing. My God.

Eric F 10-21-21 09:56 PM

How awful. Did this happen during the filming of a scene or was Alec playing around with the gun thinking it was harmless? Guns that shoot blanks are still dangerous because the empty shell cartridges get ejected at high speed, After all these tragedies you’d think people working with them would be aware of this by now.

dex14 10-21-21 09:59 PM

It says in the article they were filming a scene.

Why So Blu? 10-21-21 10:01 PM

By the looks of the IMDB page it doesn't seem to be a big budget theatrical affair. Looks more like a DTV one.

Count Dooku 10-21-21 10:07 PM

I really like Alec Baldwin, but let's be honest, his life is chaotic as fuck.

Throwing Copper 10-21-21 10:10 PM

How did Alec shoot TWO people, the DP and director?

I thought Blanks had to hit someone at close range?

dex14 10-21-21 10:15 PM

Probably shrapnel. Since it was a western, it would’ve been canon-like shot in a revolver. Directors and DPs usually stand close to each other while filming.

Josh-da-man 10-21-21 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14001253)
It's The Crow all over again.

That's the first thing I thought of, too.

Stuff like this is awful because it's 100% preventable. These things aren't accidents, they're negligence on the part of the people who are paid to be responsible for the firearms on the sets of movies. When an actor is given a gun for fire, they need to be confident that nobody will get hurt or killed when the trigger is pulled.

I wonder if this will be the event that will cause live ammunition (including blanks) and usable firearms to be banned from film sets.

Josh-da-man 10-21-21 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14001268)
Probably shrapnel. Since it was a western, it would’ve been canon-like shot in a revolver. Directors and DPs usually stand close to each other while filming.

Hard to tell at this point.

It could have been something like what happened on the set of The Crow, where there was a hung round lodged in the barrel that got ejected when a blank was fired. Or real bullets could have been loaded into the gun instead of blanks or dummies. Or a faulty blank that either fired shrapnel or had some kind of debris in it.

Sonic 10-21-21 10:57 PM

Damn! -ohbfrank- Horrible accident. Someone needs to get fired, literally.

B5Erik 10-21-21 11:39 PM

That is crazy. But, yeah, getting Crow vibes.

I really can't imagine how something like this could happen. They should have firearms experts on set to load the weapons and check them. (Two experts, one to load, the other to inspect the weapon before firing.) Maybe they do, but I don't know - this kind of thing should never happen, especially in post Crow Hollywood.

whotony 10-21-21 11:44 PM

I can’t believe they still use guns that actually fire anything out of them

Coral 10-21-21 11:49 PM

I wonder if it was a scene where they were filming from the POV of the person being shot by Baldwin. It would explain how the DP and Director got shot as the gun would be pointed towards the camera.

B5Erik 10-22-21 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 14001293)
I wonder if it was a scene where they were filming from the POV of the person being shot by Baldwin. It would explain how the DP and Director got shot as the gun would be pointed towards the camera.

That was exactly what I'm thinking. He's pointing the gun at them and fires as part of the scene. That could be it. And, damn - that would all be caught on video. Evidence for the police to review. (And I'm quite sure Baldwin had nothing to do with the gun other than doing his part for the scene - there is typically a gun handler on set. That person could be in trouble, legally.)

DJariya 10-22-21 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14001263)
By the looks of the IMDB page it doesn't seem to be a big budget theatrical affair. Looks more like a DTV one.

Apparently this movie was being made for Netflix. They do have production facility in New Mexico.

This is a pretty terrible story. I don't know how he goes back to work on this movie after all of this. I assume this movie is going to be shut down indefinitely.

Sonic 10-22-21 12:12 AM

And Thanksgiving is around the corner. Such a shame they did not take extra precautions. Even fake guns are dangerous.

Hazel Motes 10-22-21 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14001300)
Apparently this movie was being made for Netflix. They do have production facility in New Mexico.

This is a pretty terrible story. I don't know how he goes back to work on this movie after all of this. I assume this movie is going to be shut down indefinitely.

As a producer on the film and the person who discharged the weapon I wonder what kind of career he’ll have after this.

Draven 10-22-21 12:15 AM

Tragedy. I’m sure they have a gun wrangler on set and they probably just fucked up.

B5Erik 10-22-21 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 14001302)
And Thanksgiving is around the corner. Such a shame they did not take extra precautions. Even fake guns are dangerous.

There's nothing fake about the guns (usually). They're just loaded with blanks. And, yeah, blanks can be dangerous, too.

Nesbit 10-22-21 12:44 AM

Not a fan of the man but don't wish that on anyone. RIP Halyna Hutchins

Gizmo 10-22-21 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 14001303)
As a producer on the film and the person who discharged the weapon I wonder what kind of career he’ll have after this.

It was clearly an accident that could have been fired by anyone on set. I can’t imagine Alec taking any blame for this